• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I didn't realize I had a literary style, but alright. :p I do talk to myself while walking or just doing 'normal' things...))
I [...] applaud [...] Germanization. It is quite right for outsiders, foreigners, to adopt German names; they strengthen Germany while becoming German!
~Minister JH de Spinoza

((kek))

((What are the chances of de Spinoza and Brunelli both impaling each other on their rapiers? :)))

((Bonus points to whoever can kill their opponent like this:

[video=youtube;DWjn2oSVBm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWjn2oSVBm8[/video]))

The duel between de Spinoza and Brunelli​

((Note: To symbolize his injury, Brunelli received a -1 to his die rolls.))

The duelmaster shifted his feet uncomfortably. Yes, they were using bladed weapons, but he was still nervous. It was a good thing he was only a few days from retirement.

Both men bowed and drew their weapons. The duelmaster placed his hand over both blades and went over the rules. "Gentlemen, this is a duel to the death. Once I remove my hands and step back five paces, you may begin. Each of the seconds has been given a pistol with a single round, in case their party wishes to take the gentleman's way out. Now... begin!"

Brunelli recognized that the longer the fight went, the more of a disadvantage he was at. He opened with a devastating flurry of strikes, designed to drive de Spinoza back and create space. de Spinoza dodged each one effortlessly; Brunelli's one "hit" was to scratch the face of his family pocket watch. Unfortunately for Brunelli, de Spinoza's great grandfather had given him that watch, and it enraged the Stadtholder of Kiel. He charged at the Italian, nicking him on the upper left shoulder as he went past, colliding with him.

Both men stumbled to their feet, but Brunelli slipped as he tried to raise himself up with his injured hand. Spinoza stabbed viciously downward, scratching Brunelli's face, but getting his blade stuck in the ground. Brunelli took the opportunity given to him and drove his rapier into Spinoza's chest. As he pulled it out, Spinoza started bleeding profusely. The Minister of War kicked Brunelli in the face, stunning him. Bulow looked with concern at Spinoza, but Spinoza shook his head. He managed to stop the bleeding with a hasty bandage, but by then Brunelli had recovered, and both prepared for one final blow.

Spinoza thrust blindly, trying to finish off Brunelli with one final desperate blow. The duel master, who despite himself got closer to see the action, got his good foot speared for his trouble. Brunelli seized the opportunity given to him, as Spinoza struggled to free his blade from the now screaming dueling master's foot, and drove the length of the blade into Spinoza's stomach. Spinoza coughed up blood and fell over. He desperately tried to return to his feet, using his sword as a crutch, but Brunelli kicked it out and struck one final time, piercing Spinoza's chest.

The Minister of War was dead and Brunelli had a few new dueling scars to add to his collection.

((I'm going to play and update tonight. GUG, feel free to make a new character. EH, you need a new minister of war.))

I cannot believe the uncivilized behavior. Now a man is dead, and all for some petty "family" honor? Brunelli is a man of no honor, and now de Spinoza is dead, a fine man for Germany, gone. How disgraceful...

Signed,
Otto von Bismarck

Another great German man lost today. Perhaps this might now convince people that we need to restrict duelling.

((Well, f***.))

The letter arrived at the house of Albrecht von Spinoza, addressed to "the living heir of J.H. de Spinoza".
Albrecht himself found the mail and opened it smoothly with a knife.
The letter read:
Dear son (or daughter!),

I hope this letter finds you well. If you have received this letter, I am dead. I do not know how I will die. But I know I must. Be it by the sword, the gun, or time, I will die. So that brings us to the purpose of this letter.

I am writing this for you to hang on every wall, every lamppost in Germany. Know that, at my heart, I was a noble man. I tried to follow my deepest beliefs and represent Germans fairly. I have done my fair share of sins. This is my repentance.

I would first like to apologize to my family for having left you. No matter when I will die, it will be too soon. I am truly sorry. As such, 1/3rd of my estates shall be granted to my wife, to sustain her in her old age. If, for some reason, I outlive her, the money will instead go to the Germany First Foundation.
I would next like to apologize to all my enemies, especially Carlo Brunelli. That devil of a man was my greatest opponent. To tell the truth, I
admired him. He was a dirty-hearted bastard, but he was a brilliant dirty-hearted bastard.
Finally, I must apologize to any person I have offended with my rhetoric, my policies, or my mere presence. It was (probably) not my intent.

I would like to close this letter with an appeal to you, my heir. Remember me. Have a statue erected in Kiel, or at least a plaque. Being remembered has been my greatest desire in life.

"Forgive me, Father, I have sinned." (Luke, 15:21)

~Stattholter Josef Hermann von Spinoza of Kiel

P.S. Maybe one day I can be chancellor, eh? Now that wouldn't that be something...

Albrecht tore his eyes away from the paper, tears welling up. He willed himself to not cry. Think of what Father would say. But von Spinoza was gone, far away, hopefully in Heaven.

He went to his study and thought. And thought. And thought. And, after much thinking, he set himself upon a course of action. He quickly collected his overcoat and top hat, ready to leave. He would follow his father's route and become a politician. He would make sure his father was remembered. Better yet, he might fulfill his father's lost dreams.
Imagine, he thought as he headed towards the carriage to Kiel. Imagine Chancellor Albrecht von Spinoza!

((Given my handling of the crisis, I wouldn't mind being appointed MoW. ;)))

Goodbye, friends. I never intended to kill anyone, but Spinoza was a fool.

May the Republic prosper and may our citizens deliver the death blow to all tyrants! Beware of the imperialists and entangling alliances.

Brunelli ventures out into the wilderness in Italy, never to be seen again

((I think Albrecht should get it once I finish my bio. All the rest are petty scroungers.))
C39FSbY.jpg
Name: Albrecht von Spinoza
Birthdate: August 12th, 1830
Biography: Albrecht von Spinoza was the second child of Josef Hermann de Spinoza and the first surviving child. His older brother, Heinrich, died before Albrecht was born, in 1839, of pneumonia. He was a sickly child at first and barely lived through his first year. Even today, he still has a pale face and a propensity for illness. His relationship with his father was somewhat rocky. Albrecht was always pushed beyond expectations, and often his own capabilities. In 1849 his father left him and his younger brother, Ferdinand, out in a nearby forest with only one day's food in the middle of winter. Against most odds, they managed to survive for a month and come back alive. Once he graduated from Berlin Universitat with a degree in mathematics, he settled in Berlin to work on his doctorate in the sciences. He expected to do nothing but study, work and eventually complete his doctorate. But his plans were utterly destroyed by his father's death in 1863. The letter his father sent made him abandon his doctorate completely and enter politics. He ran for Stattholtership of Kiel twice, pulling out both times. In disgrace, he returned to Berlin. There are currently rumors that he may try for a third run, and maybe even stick with out. What drives him above all is a desire to avenge his father and triumph over his detractors. However, it may be hard for a sickly, mathematically-trained introvert.

Last edited:
((1863, technically. If he is going to be your official new character, though, he needs some sort of seat in the Reichstag. :) Maybe after this update?))

((I think Albrecht should get it once I finish my bio. All the rest are petty scroungers.))
C39FSbY.jpg
Name: Albrecht von Spinoza
Birthdate: August 12th, 1840
Biography: Albrecht von Spinoza was the second child of Josef Hermann de Spinoza and the first surviving child. His older brother, Heinrich, died before Albrecht was born, in 1839, of pneumonia. He was a sickly child at first and barely lived through his first year. Even today, he still has a pale face and a propensity for illness. His relationship with his father was somewhat rocky. Albrecht was always pushed beyond expectations, and often his own capabilities. In 1849 his father left him and his younger brother, Ferdinand, out in a nearby forest with only one day's food in the middle of winter. Against most odds, they managed to survive for a month and come back alive. Once he graduated from Berlin Universitat with a degree in mathematics, he settled in Berlin to work on his doctorate in the sciences. He expected to do nothing but study, work and eventually complete his doctorate. But his plans were utterly destroyed by his father's death in 1862. ((Correct me if I'm wrong about the date.)) The letter his father sent made him abandon his doctorate completely and enter politics. He ran for Stattholtership of Kiel twice, pulling out both times. In disgrace, he returned to Berlin. There are currently rumors that he may try for a third run, and maybe even stick with out. What drives him above all is a desire to avenge his father and triumph over his detractors. However, it may be hard for a sickly, mathematically-trained introvert.
((He is not 30....))

I cannot believe the uncivilized behavior. Now a man is dead, and all for some petty "family" honor? Brunelli is a man of no honor, and now de Spinoza is dead, a fine man for Germany, gone. How disgraceful...

de Spinoza challenged Brunelli, not vice versa; and de Spinoza's errors in swordsmanship betrayed him. You cannot lay the blame for this death at Herr Brunelli's door.

I have acted as a second in two duels so far. I have no wish to act in more, although I will if I must. I beg the honourable Members to reconsider the restrictions on duelling.

((For the record, the update is temporarily suspended as I discuss... events... with the Foreign Minister. :)))

((For the record, the update is temporarily suspended as I discuss... events... with the Foreign Minister. :)))

((Right... events... I am sure you discuss fetishes and other stuff to implement in the law of the republic :p))

I'm saddened to hear about the death of Herr Spinoza. He was a great man, and I hope a man, just as great will take up the ministry of war.

~Konrad von Schwaben

URGENT NEWS

7 July 1863

A group of Caribbean Islands have sought to reform themselves as the Republic of Jamaica. In close consultation with Foreign Minister Otto von Bismarck, Castille and Germany announced a partnership to keep this islands under the benevolent rule of the Kingdom of Castille. The ever nefarious British Empire has agreed to back Jamaica.

Only one country is eligible to intervene in the crisis -- Canada -- and they have already tacitly announced support for Germany through back channels. It may take them some time to convince the Canadian people of the wisdom of joining on Germany's side, but their long term hatred of the British, who oppressed them for so long, means they will either remain neutral or join Germany.

Foreign Minister Bismarck is expected to announce a crisis team sometime in the next day or two.

Well, hopefully we can find a peaceful diplomatic solution this time. The German people is tired of war and need peace.

~Konrad von Schwaben (suddenly agreeing with the UAIs' military policy)