• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Chancellor's proposal to ban duelling ((aw :()) will be formally added to the ballot. There remains time for other members of the Reichstag to propose bills or Constitutional amendments before the ballot is formally published and voting begins.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

EDIT: ((Warlord Skorr's shift to the Conclave effectively pulls the UAI out of the Assembly; we have no active players there now. If you are considering changing parties, or houses, or if you're a lurker and waiting for an opportunity to make a character, this is that time.))

It would be amusing if the Assembly assents to this silly dueling ban after they blocked pivotal legislation on government reform and secret ballots. That shows you where the priorities of the aristocrats, imperialists, and gendarmerie lie.

-a sanctimonious Carlo Brunelli

I support Chancellor Unger's proposal that Duelling be Banned. It is most appalling that our politicians, meant to be the voices of reason and wisdom (and trusted with the governance of our republic) are permitted to duel each other over minor grievances while our soldiers, who make killing a profession, were prudent enough to outlaw it amongst themselves years ago.

However, there is serious need for meaningful reform - pieces of legislation such as these are rather insignificant when one looks at the bigger picture. The rash of unrest and civil discontent during and following the recent war should open our eyes to the problems this country needs to face. I was severely dismayed when the recent secret ballots reform was so soundly defeated, and hope that the German Republic is capable of changing with the times instead of staving off the future with increasingly desperate blows. If history has told us anything, my friends, it is that those who refuse to rethink and adapt do not tend to thrive - they are washed away by the tides of change, and those less rigid rise to take their places.

- Lukas von Freiburg

Last edited:
Ludwig Fredrik Andersen
Born: 1833
Birthplace: Friedrichshaven (Denmark)
Party Affiliation: UAI
House: The Assembly

Background: Andersen is a (relatively) young Danish merchant's son, born on the northernmost tip of German territory. He will fight for the people, the free market, business interests and complete personal liberty. Ludwig does not hold any religious beliefs other than being a convinced atheist.

One of the most intriguing parts of Ludwig Andersen's character is his unwillingness to acknowledge any reason for politicians to involve themselves in culture and vice versa. His interests are to make Germany a strong and stable merchant's republic, to promote cooperation and trade within the Republic and Europe as a whole and to break down the last barriers between the nation's self-made businessmen and the hereditary elite.

I support Chancellor Unger's proposal that Duelling be Banned. It is most appalling that our politicians, meant to be the voices of reason and wisdom, trusted with the governance of the republic, are permitted to duel each other over minor grievances while our soldiers, who make killing a profession, were prudent enough to outlaw it amongst themselves years ago.

- Lukas von Freiburg

It would be better to outlaw war instead.

Ludwig Fredrik Andersen
Born: 1833
Birthplace: Friedrichshaven (Denmark)
Party Affiliation: UAI
House: The Assembly

Background: Andersen is a (relatively) young Danish merchant's son, born on the northernmost tip of German territory. He will fight for the people, the free market, business interests and complete personal liberty. Ludwig does not hold any religious beliefs other than being a convinced atheist.

One of the most intriguing parts of Ludwig Andersen's character is his unwillingness to acknowledge any reason for politicians to involve themselves in culture and vice versa. His interests are to make Germany a strong and stable merchant's republic, to promote cooperation and trade within the Republic and Europe as a whole and to break down the last barriers between the nation's self-made businessmen and the hereditary elite.

((Dirty capitalist :p))

Fear for your lives, my fellow citizens. The Prince of Death has taken the reins of government.

-an apprehensive Brunelli

Stop talking Brunelli, you're wasting all the oxygen. I support the measure to Ban Duelling.
- Bismarck

-----

Bismarck starts writing a bill to propose later, thinking it necessary to ensure those in the Reichstag behave like gentlemen.

Sanctioned Behavior Bill

IF any member of the Reichstag is found contemptuous or otherwise behaving in a manner unfit of a member of the Reichstag, by majority vote, the Reichstag may temporarily suspend his rights as a Conclave member or Assembly member until an investigation is held into his behavior.

If his behavior is found to be inappropriate or improper, he may be suspended for a length of time determined by the Chancellor and the Minister of Interior, but it may not exceed one full calendar year. Continued misbehavior may lead to special elections in their home province to find their immediate replacement as they are obviously unfit to be parliamentary members, but only if this measure is approved by a two-thirds vote in the Reichstag.

So passes the Sanctioned Behavior Bill

((Basically, I'm proposing means to silence those who are disruptive or verbally abusive. Bad behavior unbecoming of a Reichstag member is bad, mkay? I'll wait till the proposal window opens again.))

Last edited:
I am vehemently opposed to the Sanctioned Behavior Bill. Who are we to determine the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviour? Such a bill would set a terrible precedent which may very well lead to further oppression of German citizens.

- Ludwig Fredrik Andersen, Deputy for the UAI

Ahem. Do not vote until I say it's okay to vote, everyone. :) I will not count votes until I open the ballot.

The Sanctioned Behavior Bill is added to the docket of measures to be voted upon. I will formally announce when voting begins.

((Gen. Marshall, are you killing off Gotha? Can't have two characters with voting rights, I'm afraid.

Dadarian, get DutchGuy to agree to the duel and we'll have it. :)))

Regarding the proposed duelling ban - what actually is the legal status of the duel under German law? As I understand it, duelling could be considered "attempted murder", and thus already illegal - though being socially acceptable through inconsistent enforcement of this law. But then again, my knowledge of this area of criminal law is somewhat rusty. Could someone better informed than me please clarify?

Stop talking Brunelli, you're wasting all the oxygen. I support the measure to Ban Duelling.
- Bismarck

-----

Bismarck starts writing a bill to propose later, thinking it necessary to ensure those in the Reichstag behave like gentlemen.

((Basically, I'm proposing means to silence those who are disruptive or verbally abusive. Bad behavior unbecoming of a Reichstag member is bad, mkay? I'll wait till the proposal window opens again.))

19891706.jpg

Von Bismarck, the Murderer of Democracy

Before you insult one of my party member's with not knowing how the Corp works you should also reconsider your statement. The Gendarmerie Corp follows the Chancellor's commands, but the Head of the Corp is chosen by the Minister of Interior. Therefore, you doing what the Minister of Interior has asked of you, means nothing except that you kissed up to the man who had control of your position, oh wait you consider it your god given title. At this time you have neither been removed from your command nor has it even put up to possible vote.

-Hugo Unger,
Chancellor of the German Republic,
Marshall of Germany,
((Prince of Death))

My dear channelor. When the Head of the Corps was created by our former minister of interior under our old channelor Bismarck, it was considered a titular tile. A title which give the man holding the title, effective power over the Corps. The man can however be removed by the minister of interior, which was made the head of the Head of the Corps, also by our former minister of interior.

~Konrad von Schwaben, Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie((?))

My dear channelor. When the Head of the Corps was created by our former minister of interior under our old channelor Bismarck, it was considered a titular tile. A title which give the man holding the title, effective power over the Corps. The man can however be removed by the minister of interior, which was made the head of the Head of the Corps, also by our former minister of interior.

~Konrad von Schwaben, Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie((?))

A titular title would imply that the role exists in name only, which it obviously does not. Nevertheless, the bare fact that the Head of the Gendarmerie has become so deeply ingrained not only into our political system worries me. Should the forces of law and order not be seperate from the state and the legislature?

~G. A. Servatius van Kloetinge

A titular title would imply that the role exists in name only, which it obviously does not. Nevertheless, the bare fact that the Head of the Gendarmerie has become so deeply ingrained not only into our political system worries me. Should the forces of law and order not be seperate from the state and the legislature?

Pheraps, I believe that today we are better off than before the Internal Security act. But I fear that the reforms I proposed might not have been enough to ensure that at all times the Gendarmine are a force for good in Germany. If there is a better soulotion we must find it and implement it at the earliest convenience.

Hear, hear! It is imperative that we separate the state's core tasks for them to be led by separate organs, which should be checked and balanced by each other. This would increase the administrative load, something I'm loathe to concede, but if we wish to prevent an untimely coup then action must be taken. After all, decreasing the power of individuals in the government is a good first step to decreasing the influence of the government overall.

- Ludwig Fredrik Andersen, Deputy for the UAI

((My first position in government and I have to deal with a lynch mob going after the Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie. Great. :p))

I admit that I am almost shocked by the accusations being made against Herr von Schwaben. His police forces made one mistake, which he apologized for, and everyone jumped on him. It is indeed a travesty that innocent men were shot down by the Corps of the Gendarmerie, but at least he owned up to it. I'd be more upset if he had tried to hide it from the Reichstag. As for claims that he clings to power, what man wouldn't be offended when the integrity of his work is questioned. Everyone here is overreacting and should show more respect to the man. Nevertheless, Germany is a republic and it is difficult for any man to perform his job when the entire government is against him. Keeping an unpopular man in the position would only weaken the Gendarmerie's position and ability to handle the internal security of the nation. As such, I feel that as the newly appointed Minister of the Interior I must ask Herr von Schwaben to step down as Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie. I also ask that the Reichstag treat Herr von Schwaben with respect befitting someone who has done nothing but be loyal to his country. One mistake should not condemn a man for life. For now I will take up the duties of the Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie until a suitable replacement is found. I will keep the Chancellor's recommendation in mind. Anyone who feels themselves capable of managing the position can feel free to consult me on the matter.

As for the proposed legislation, I must abstain concerning the Chancellor's proposal to ban duelling. I admit that duelling is a most violent method of settling disputes, but banning it outright may encourage men to settle disputes through more underhanded methods. Perhaps instead duelling should be more heavily regulated, such as forcing participants to duel with fencing swords with blunted tips to ensure no blood is spilled and where striking a hit would simply decide the matter.

Concerning Herr von Bismarck's Sanctioned Behaviour Bill, I must also abstain. While I fully support the idea behind it, I feel that at the moment it is too vague, which will only encourage abuse of the legislation. A clear outline of what is considered negative behaviour must be determined first before this piece of legislation be passed.