• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Ministry of War directs:

1. All armies and fleets, if they have not already done so, are to return to their pre-war positions.

2. All losses to the Army and Navy are to be made good, except that sail-powered vessels shall not be replaced.

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

((FYI -- some troops are stuck in Spain and will require the fleet to get them out.))

((FYI -- some troops are stuck in Spain and will require the fleet to get them out.))

Make it so. I would have thought that necessary army/navy cooperation would have been implied by my first direction, but am happy to make the requirement explicit.

Gutfreund

After a brief discussion with my colleague Herr Gotha, who has been considering retirement, I have decided to take the position of leader of the Imperialist Party.

- Maximillian von Vandenburg

((We have all plans but the Foreign Ministry one. You know, the Minister who initially insisted on us pausing for the 12 month update. :p All previous plans are considered passed.))

((This sir is why you will not be Foreign Minister if I become Chancellor.

With love your friendly neighborhood, SpiderMan))

It is my great honour to announce that I shall be taking up the leadership of the Alliance Party in lieu of Herr Brunelli's retirement from frontline politics. I thank Herr Brunelli for his hard work over the years, and look forward to working with him on many more projects in the future.

~Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge

((This sir is why you will not be Foreign Minister if I become Chancellor.

With love your friendly neighborhood, SpiderMan))

((Are you trying to get me to delay even further? Sorry, but I prioritze real life over iAARs.))

The Foreign Ministry proposes that we work to improve our relations and try to ally with Denmark, Transylvania, and Bulgaria.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

It is my great honour to announce that I shall be taking up the leadership of the Alliance Party in lieu of Herr Brunelli's retirement from frontline politics. I thank Herr Brunelli for his hard work over the years, and look forward to working with him on many more projects in the future.

~Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge

Hear, hear!

The party is in fine hands for the future.

-Carlo Brunelli, with pride gleaming in his face

((You do realize you've posted 50+ times on the forums since the 12 month thing started and you were supposed to post your response? ;) ))

I would appreiciate if the members of my party would read the memos for at least this one time....((Group chat))

Heinrich von Gogh ,Leader of the SDAP

((I posted))

((Are you trying to get me to delay even further? Sorry, but I prioritze real life over iAARs.))

((See, that's your problem right there. :p

In all seriousness, provided this plan does not meet with a "no" from anybody, I should be able to play this weekend.))

((See, that's your problem right there. :p

In all seriousness, provided this plan does not meet with a "no" from anybody, I should be able to play this weekend.))

(( See, that's exactly the kind of statement that makes me inclined to troll. But it'd be sad for me too, so I won't. ))

(( See, that's exactly the kind of statement that makes me inclined to troll. But it'd be sad for me too, so I won't. ))

(("It is what you would call a classic difficult decision." -- Michael Scott, on debating whether to watch The Devil Wears Prada or Sophie's Choice))

The Election of 1863

"Would you care for a drink, Otto?"

"Yes, thank you, Michael."

The outgoing Minister of the Interior and Chancellor of the Republic of Germany waited calmly for the election results. Michael von Hohenzollern had yielded the party leadership of the HUN to Hugo Unger, seeing an opportunity to secure the Chancellery for his own party. Otto von Bismarck remained the leader of the New Society, but was ineligible to serve as Chancellor again, content to serve as an elder statesman in the Reichstag. The Reichstag debates over the progress of the war with Tver had been fueled by the rebellion of French peasants against the war. By late January 1862, the last army was defeated, and an abortive uprising in Pomerania was swiftly crushed.

da66UE.jpg

zcGGtI.jpg

The average German was very pleased at the performance of the German army. He quietly accepted the tax hike and bore it with aplomb. Some of the more radical Germans were engrossed by an Englishman's work, Charles Darwin, who argued that man was descended from his brother animals and not by the grace of God. [1] Most Germans considered the words of Darwin to be heresy, and copies of his books were burned alongside those of "Plato" in bonfires throughout the country. A Gendarmerie parade throughout the country was met with cheers and gratitude, elevating the place of Germany in the world still farther. Stadtholders in the areas attacked by the uprising of the French rebellion reported a return to law and order.

Jc6whw.jpg

oeRpMw.jpg

But underneath the surface, tension remained. A cell of Hungarian separatists was quickly suppressed by swift police action, but during the arrest of one of the ringleaders, the Gendarmerie shot and killed a man who vaguely resembled Karl Marx. The result was a mass uprising, primarily concentrated in Italy, but with significant Jacobin presences in Eastern Europe.

wyrROj.jpg

kzfVhv.jpg

A successful revolution in Danzig only bolstered the confidence of the Jacobins, who finally thought their time had come.

P4JxNl.jpg

In Mecklenburg and Mazovia, demonstrations in support of the Jacobins were met by a determined police response; the international community lost no time mocking Germany for agreeing to liberate Tver but suppressing its own citizens.

Ugpdzn.jpg

ca5hBQ.jpg

The election season began on 3 July of 1862. As the polls opened, the Minister of War, Hals Gutfreund, walked to his office to check on the progress of the new ships and to see whether or not all of the soldiers interred in Castille had made it back to their duty stations on the French border. A heartbroken woman, who'd lost four sons in the fighting, silently wept in the street across from his office. Gutfreund, a kindly soul, offered her some money. The woman slapped the money out of his hand. A guard standing outside the War Ministry, at about 50 yards from the incident, only saw somebody attack his boss and shot her dead. In moments, riots flared up and engulfed the German capital.

dtsSPw.jpg

Huge crowds of young people gathered in the capital to decry the war and the sacrifices for a people no German had ever met. Even larger crowds, filled with the grey uniforms of the German army, demonstrated in support of the conservatives who had led Germany in a victorious war against three vicious opponents. Hugo Unger wasted no time in campaigning on precisely that point: Germany had won the war! There was no better time to extend German influence still further, with the French and Polish armies crippled and the British unwilling or unable to act on their own.

VHLdZR.jpg

Unger wasted no time shifting the blame for the horrendous casualties of warfare on the former Minister of Education, Carlo Brunelli. "Brunelli equipped our troops with terrible weapons, our ships with outdated cannon, and turned away business leader after business leader who offered his assistance. I have already instituted a plan to encourage experimentation in all German universities, and have offered a sizeable sum to any scientist that will give our fighting men an advantage over our enemies!"

shih1u.jpg

Unger's speech had immediate impact. The city of Florence, long a bastion for anti-German propaganda, voted 10 to 1 to approve Unger's speech in the Reichstag and marched up and down their city streets, German flags held high.

gBRJue.jpg

However, that same speech also awakened the sleeping Liberals in Germany. Dr. Dominik Fellmann of the UAI, speaking before some of the wealthiest men in Germany, called for a period of peace and reconstruction before indulging in further imperialism. It was not the time to attack, but to defend: Germany's borders had never been more secure, and by building up German industrial capacity, the Republic would bury her opponents with German manufactured goods. He won quite a few liberal supporters that day.

Hbfc39.jpg

The DDA had its own agenda in the election, with its new leader, Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge. Kloetinge had never been a very vocal member of his party, usually content to toe the party line, but with Carlo Brunelli being burned in effigy throughout the Republic, the time to change leadership had come. He approved the message of Fellmann, but immediately rejected the idea of the government having anything at all to do with the economy. "It is government interference that keeps the natural brilliance of the German worker from shining through. The tariff Dr. Fellmann imposed on our people last year generated almost no government revenue but crippled countless smallholders. It is time for Germans to let the private sector establish her industry; give Herr Meier a rest!"

xbuoFH.jpg

While Unger, Fellmann, and Kloetinge all effectively rallied support to their causes, the new leader of the Imperialists, Maximillian von Vandenburg, spent all of his time keeping up the members he already had. The new SDAP was very vocal in their utopian schemes to reshape Germany, rejecting all forms of armed aggression while at the same time championing government control of the means of production. The firebrand Heinrich von Gogh even offered support to nationalities seeking more autonomy in exchange for their support for his measures of government control. While the populace was deaf to his message, for the most part, only Gogh offered a genuine alternative to the tried and true methods of the older German parties.

As Bismarck and Hohenzollern clinked their glasses, they read the election results.

4Rauek.jpg

Bismarck was disappointed; while the New Society was still the largest party in the Assembly, that margin was narrower than ever before, as they fell under 30% of the vote for the first time in a few elections. The SDAP's initial showing was meager, but showed that they had some support among the people of Germany. The remaining parties all more or less maintained their numbers from the previous election. In the Conclave, the results were similar; the Conservative bloc lost votes, almost all of them moving to the SDAP as a ripple effect pulled Germany to the left.

gAf20Q.jpg

It remained for the leaders of each party to sit down and settle a coalition to lead Germany for the next four years.

[1] The Darwinism invention fired in March; handy to get it out of the way! We got Nitroglycerin last update, as an FYI.

EDIT:

We can reform again, if we wish to do so. We have the option of allowing all trade unions, secret ballots, or no reforms.

Last edited:
(( Footnote one seems to be missing ))

I congratulate all members of The HUN having great election campaigns, we will soon win the Reichstag

-Franz Joseph

This is what happens when the German war machine is loosed upon her own people! We cannot go on like this. Freedom must prevail over tyranny and our ethnic minorities cannot be constantly squashed by the heel of the state!

I propose we adopt secret ballots so that the average citizen is not intimidated by armed mobs or the vicious Gendarmerie when he wishes to make his impact on our democratic system of government.

'Tis amusing to see Herr Unger continue to denounce me when he continues my philosophy programs!

-Carlo Brunelli