• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Chancellor Bismarck, I would like to thank you for this appointment and the opportunity to correct the difficulties our military is currently going through. Our two biggest areas of problem that I found in this past war was the difficulty in communication from our frontlines and that of our three separate fronts. There needs to be a better way to ensure our people know where to be and when to be there(Military Plans). With that lack of constant guidance our officers failed to issue effective orders that would keep their men alive. We need to look at reformatting the way our War Colleges train our officers. They need to be better at taking command for themselves if there is no direct guidance(Army Decision Making). Simply stating that they were not instructed to fall back is no reason to allow thousands of men to die.

"Though we will of course finish former-Minister Brunelli's most recent work first before moving on to these other needs."

-Hugo Unger

Last edited:
Brunelli reads Unger's report

How was it my fault that the military couldn't communicate and our officers are idiots?

I hope Herr Unger does not ignore the importance of empiricism, which can enhance our research capabilities and expedite the process of discovering new tecnologies (?????).

I must agree with my greasy colleague, the tenants of Empiricism should be applied before the military technologies.

((If new members are still welcome I will be joining this game))
Name: Giuseppe Putini
Date of Birth: January 8th, 1832 (30 years old) in Livorno
House: Assembly
Affiliation: The HUN ((This appears to be the party that best fits my characters militaristic views. If I'm wrong assuming that someone could let me know))

Bio: Putini was born a son of a fisherman in Livorno on the Italian coast. While he was poor, his father taught him to read and write, so he ended up with a solid education. Still, he had a falling out with his family and ran off to join the army at the age of 18. Despite being just a common soldier, he repeatedly distinguished himself on the battlefield. His low birth did prevent him from becoming an officer. During the war, he developed a belief in the need of a strong military and a dissatisfaction with the government that, in his eyes, failed its common soldiers. At the end of the war at the age of 30, he returned to Livorno. He quickly discovered that many fellow veterans and common people shared his concerns. At the behest of his army friends, he ran for the assembly and won a seat making him one of the youngest and lowest born ever to serve in the national government.

Beliefs: ((excerpt from speech outlining his ideas)) "I believe in Germany. I believe in its republic. I believe in our military. Our military is the strongest in the world. The combined strength of all the world's powers cannot hold it down. However, our government holds it back. Our government does not give our soldiers what they need. I have watched thousands die because they had inadequate weapons and inept leadership. Still, the German soldier prevailed. This is because Germany stands for all that is right in the world. No country is as free, no country is as great or historic. No country is as diverse and multicultural. Germany owes it to the world to bring its inspired leadership to all the world's people. The German soldier is prepared to do so. The only limit on the German soldier is the German government. The government sees the military as a servant to the country. I say no, the country: its economy, its people, its technology, its money, must be dedicated to the strength of the military. The German military will then spread German rule over the entire world, and that will enrich and grow Germany to even greater strength. Then, the entire world will be bettered, and will share in the legacy of the Hohenzollerns, of the Holy Roman Empire, and, most importantly, of the German Republic."

((If new members are still welcome I will be joining this game))
Name: Giuseppe Putini
Date of Birth: January 8th, 1832 (30 years old) in Livorno
House: Assembly
Affiliation: The HUN ((This appears to be the party that best fits my characters militaristic views. If I'm wrong assuming that someone could let me know))

Bio: Putini was born a son of a fisherman in Livorno on the Italian coast. While he was poor, his father taught him to read and write, so he ended up with a solid education. Still, he had a falling out with his family and ran off to join the army at the age of 18. Despite being just a common soldier, he repeatedly distinguished himself on the battlefield. His low birth did prevent him from becoming an officer. During the war, he developed a belief in the need of a strong military and a dissatisfaction with the government that, in his eyes, failed its common soldiers. At the end of the war at the age of 30, he returned to Livorno. He quickly discovered that many fellow veterans and common people shared his concerns. At the behest of his army friends, he ran for the assembly and won a seat making him one of the youngest and lowest born ever to serve in the national government.

Beliefs: ((excerpt from speech outlining his ideas)) "I believe in Germany. I believe in its republic. I believe in our military. Our military is the strongest in the world. The combined strength of all the world's powers cannot hold it down. However, our government holds it back. Our government does not give our soldiers what they need. I have watched thousands die because they had inadequate weapons and inept leadership. Still, the German soldier prevailed. This is because Germany stands for all that is right in the world. No country is as free, no country is as great or historic. No country is as diverse and multicultural. Germany owes it to the world to bring its inspired leadership to all the world's people. The German soldier is prepared to do so. The only limit on the German soldier is the German government. The government sees the military as a servant to the country. I say no, the country: its economy, its people, its technology, its money, must be dedicated to the strength of the military. The German military will then spread German rule over the entire world, and that will enrich and grow Germany to even greater strength. Then, the entire world will be bettered, and will share in the legacy of the Hohenzollerns, of the Holy Roman Empire, and, most importantly, of the German Republic."

((Wilkommen! Your character seems fine for the Full Citizenship/Jingoism of the HUN! :)))

I agree with Herr von Schwaben: Hugo is an excellent candidate for this position and will ensure our armed forces get the weapons to win the next war with ease.

The next war? Was the last one not enough? Shall we continue until every drop of blood and every ounce of gold in Germany is gone, now the war party have hit on the convenient device of blaming Herr Brunelli for all our woes, rather than the politicians who sent us to war and the generals who commanded our troops?

As Herr Adimari observes, the recent war itself provides evidence that technology is no panacea.

Herr Peymann,

I would wish that we lived in a world where war was never necessary, but we do not. Technology indeed is no panacea, but each technical advance ensures that whatever conflicts we find ourselves engaged in will more likely have a happy result at less cost in men and treasure.

I regret not having paid enough attention to our research agenda in the past; as a responsible minister, I should have put forward the needs of the Ministry of War more forcefully. I do not intend that this neglect should continue.

Accordingly, I suggest to Herr Unger that the following technologies find a place in his future plans:

1. Iron Steamers
2. Breech Loading Rifles

These are in addition to the research projects he has already proposed, which the Ministry supports.

I will have further thoughts on this matter in the near future.

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

The next war? Was the last one not enough? Shall we continue until every drop of blood and every ounce of gold in Germany is gone, now the war party have hit on the convenient device of blaming Herr Brunelli for all our woes, rather than the politicians who sent us to war and the generals who commanded our troops?

As Herr Adimari observes, the recent war itself provides evidence that technology is no panacea.

My dear Peymann,

War is a fact of life, whether we would wish it or not. It will not go away if we close our eyes and bury our heads in the sand. I would personally be delighted if there were no war as brutal as this one ever again. Sadly, I do not think this is likely. If you find a way to permanently alter men's opinions of one another, I will be the first to contribute money.

Michael von Hohenzollern

((As a clarification, we are presently studying Phenomenalism, not Empiricism. If you want Empiricism, it will have to come after Phenomenalism, or we've pretty much wasted the RPs we've spent on it already. Up to you, EH.

Welcome, banana84! So delighted your first post is to join our AAR! You'll be able to vote on measures after this coming update.))

War is a fact of life, whether we would wish it or not. It will not go away if we close our eyes and bury our heads in the sand. I would personally be delighted if there were no war as brutal as this one ever again. Sadly, I do not think this is likely. If you find a way to permanently alter men's opinions of one another, I will be the first to contribute money.

Herr Gutfruend and von Hohenzollern speak as if wars were visited on us. They are not; we visit them upon others. Tell me, when was Germany last at war without the connivance of the Reichstag?

I am all in favour of Germany defending herself, but the facts are plain: none dare attack Germany. This new plan for Education has little to do with defence, and everything to do with the war party arming itself for a fresh orgy of slaughter. I am not calling for a moratorium on military research, but to recognise that this is an overreaction to a war which we chose to fight and which, in the end, we won.

Herr Gutfruend and von Hohenzollern speak as if wars were visited on us. They are not; we visit them upon others. Tell me, when was Germany last at war without the connivance of the Reichstag?

I am all in favour of Germany defending herself, but the facts are plain: none dare attack Germany. This new plan for Education has little to do with defence, and everything to do with the war party arming itself for a fresh orgy of slaughter. I am not calling for a moratorium on military research, but to recognise that this is an overreaction to a war which we chose to fight and which, in the end, we won.

To claim that war has not been visited upon this republic by the foreign powers of Poland, France, and Britain is just the kind of traitorous idiocy that has become a trademark of Reichstag debate. You seem to have forgotten that Germany did not cause this last war; it was instigated by the tyranny of Warsaw, the bloodlust of Paris, and the arrogance of London. You spit on the grave's of Germany's dead soldiers, heroes who should be honoured, not despised! To fervently oppose the improvement of our military as you do is tantamount to condoning the wholesale slaughter of our brave soldiers at the hands of the Pole, the Frank, and the Scot. Any man who would be so cowardly and dishonourable as to advocate for the death of men who protect his freedom should not be called a German! You bring nothing but disgrace and dishonour to the great nation that you would dare call your Fatherland! It has become clear in the past few days that the true enemies of Germany -- those who welcome foreign armies and would gladly sell their supposed countrymen into slavery! -- are among the members of this very legislature! Let all true Germans stand with me against these turncoats, these depraved and malicious men who seek our very destruction and enslavement while they disguise themselves as Germans!

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

It was this kind of thinking that killed thousands of our worthy soldiers in the last war. War would not be necessary if our enemies were acutely aware of our armed superiority. The last war would have been wholely unnecessary if our army was so superior that Poland would have rather handed over Tver than fight our men. Their lack of respect for German arms caused the conflict. This government's policy of denying modern weaponry to its army not only killed thousands in this war, but also caused the next war when our rivals think they can withstand backwards German weapons. The government should be dedicated to aiding its soldiers not inhibiting them!

~Giuseppe Putini, Assemblyman

((Thanks for the welcome Avindian!))

To claim that war has not been visited upon this republic by the foreign powers of Poland, France, and Britain is just the kind of traitorous idiocy that has become a trademark of Reichstag debate. You seem to have forgotten that Germany did not cause this last war; it was instigated by the tyranny of Warsaw, the bloodlust of Paris, and the arrogance of London. You spit on the grave's of Germany's dead soldiers, heroes who should be honoured, not despised!

If I had had my way those soldiers would not be in those graves; they would be productive members of German society, while still ready to defend Germany. Men like you sent them there, dug their graves and measured them for their shrouds; not I, and not Herr Brunelli.

((Finance plan has passed. Education plan is pending. Still need plans from War, Industry, and the Foreign Ministry.))

I have no special plans for 1862.

-- Michael von Hohenzollern, Minister of the Interior

It was this kind of thinking that killed thousands of our worthy soldiers in the last war. War would not be necessary if our enemies were acutely aware of our armed superiority. The last war would have been wholely unnecessary if our army was so superior that Poland would have rather handed over Tver than fight our men. Their lack of respect for German arms caused the conflict. This government's policy of denying modern weaponry to its army not only killed thousands in this war, but also caused the next war when our rivals think they can withstand backwards German weapons. The government should be dedicated to aiding its soldiers not inhibiting them!

~Giuseppe Putini, Assemblyman

((Thanks for the welcome Avindian!))

It is amusing that I am blamed for the poor decisions of officers and a naval battle where wooden ships bested our steamers. And no one realizes the positive military effects of my psychological programs. But go ahead, I will serve the role of Brutus' sons sacrificed for the good of the Republic.

One of Brunelli's supporters paints a picture in response to these comments

the-lictors-bring-to-brutus-the-bodies-of-his-sons.jpg

The Ministry of War directs:

1. All armies and fleets, if they have not already done so, are to return to their pre-war positions.

2. All losses to the Army and Navy are to be made good, except that sail-powered vessels shall not be replaced.

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War