• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wipe that smirk off your face, Brunelli. We all know you Italians are nothing short of traitors, but your recent arguments have been making less sense than ever.

- A visibly annoyed Dr. Gotha

An exacerbated von Altmark makes a loud hurrah

Thank you, I thought no one would notice these foreigners are frankly a massive destabilising influence in the Republic.

Thank you, I thought no one would notice these foreigners are frankly a massive destabilising influence in the Republic.
Very true, very true, Von Altmark! Say, would you like to come to the next Germany for the Germans meeting?

Very true, very true, Von Altmark! Say, would you like to come to the next Germany for the Germans meeting?

von Altmarks huffs

Sonny, I started those meetings.

I oppose the anti-nepotism bill, as it is so vague as to be unenforceable. How would we recognize when someone has been appointed for competence rather than for their connections? And for that matter, without those connections, would people be known to be competent?

FM

I oppose the anti-nepotism bill, as it is so vague as to be unenforceable. How would we recognize when someone has been appointed for competence rather than for their connections? And for that matter, without those connections, would people be known to be competent?

FM
That is why I added clause 5. It establishes a committee to discover exactly this.
((Did you miss my amended version?))

I do not know if you have seen the latest census, Herr Altmark, but most citizens of this Republic are not ethnic Germans.

-an irritated Brunelli

I do not know if you have seen the latest census, Herr Altmark, but most citizens of this Republic are not ethnic Germans.

-an irritated Brunelli

I know, it's a damn shame.

That is why I added clause 5. It establishes a committee to discover exactly this.
((Did you miss my amended version?))

I oppose the Anti-Nepotism Bill. While I am wholeheartedly against nepotism, the bill seeks to further expand the government bureacracy, using the idea of combatting nepotism, something which is not even present in our government, as a façade.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

Herr Spinoza, I did miss the amended version. I thank you both for reminding me of it, and also for addressing just these concerns. Sadly, I still am not convinced that this is a significant issue for our nation, and thus it seems overly intrusive. I am afraid I still must oppose it.

FM

Wipe that smirk off your face, Brunelli. We all know you Italians are nothing short of traitors, but your recent arguments have been making less sense than ever.

- A visibly annoyed Dr. Gotha
You too, Doctor? This government shall never be free of spurious accusations of treason if even the previously slandered take their turn to defame their political foes.

And you, Brunelli, should take greater care to speak the truth. The Tverians would have approached another power if we had declined to aid them. We no more induced this crisis than the wheat pulls the sun up from beneath the horizon.

Then you agree that imperialism and expansion is abhorrent?

-a smirking Brunelli

No, I believe that the lesser people that we control should be uplifted to become (well, at least somewhat) proper Germans. Even you emotional Italians can become good Germans if you give up your silly language and customs.

You can never be a real member of the Republic if you are not a German.

No, I believe that the lesser people that we control should be uplifted to become (well, at least somewhat) proper Germans. Even you emotional Italians can become good Germans if you give up your silly language and customs.

You can never be a real member of the Republic if you are not a German.
You labor under the misunderstanding that you control the Italians beyond the Alps or the Cornish over the channel or anyone else. The Republic is a brotherhood of peoples, not a multitude of serfs to bow before you.

You labor under the misunderstanding that you control the Italians beyond the Alps or the Cornish over the channel or anyone else. The Republic is a brotherhood of peoples, not a multitude of serfs to bow before you.

The Republic is a brotherhood of Germans. All the other lesser people are lucky that we allow them to be uplifted by us.

((Okay guys, new rule: if there are outstanding things to be voted upon, please do not add more without my say-so; I have people voting for or against things I can't even keep track of. :D I'm going to do a better job of setting deadlines; when I was in Russia and had limited access to the internet, it suited my nefarious purposes to let matters drift.

GUG, your alter ego cannot introduce bills, since he can't vote. I originally ignored the Anti-Nepotism Bill because I thought it was a joke. I'll treat it as legitimate this one time, but in the future, only Spinoza can introduce legislation.))

The original Reichstag Amendment is considered withdrawn ((and would have been completely destroyed even if it hadn't)). The Head of State Act is decisively defeated in the Assembly, 67 votes in favor, 410 against, 23 abstaining. It did barely pass the Conclave, 41 votes to 37, with 22 abstaining.

The new plan for the Ministry of the Interior passes, 77 votes to 23. All other outstanding plans are considered passed, with no objections to the changes put in place. Chief of Staff Unger, would you mind verifying whether you intend to make alterations to existing deployments?

Two bills are presently up for voting, which I have reproduced here. Herr Brunelli has introduced the Conclave Representation Bill, which reads:

CONCLAVE REPRESENTATION AMENDMENT
I. Each province will send one deputy to represent them in the Conclave of Stadtholders
II. Each Stadtholder will be elected by the people of their province
III. The structure of the Assembly shall stay in place

Thus, this would increase the number of voters in the Conclave from 100 to 245 Stadtholders.

The Anti-Nepotism Bill as proposed by Herr Spinoza is as follows:

The Anti-Nepotism Bill​

1. All positions in the army, navy, and all other branches of the government shall be determined by merit alone.

2. Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall remain in their positions, but no more individuals will be allowed to gain positions without earning them.

3. Birth or titles will no longer have any effect on German branches of government.

4. Any new branches of government that will be created after 1861 shall be subject to this law as well.

5. A committee will be established to make sure all individuals gain positions through merit.

Gentlemen, please vote on both issues, regardless of House. The deadline to vote will be 48 hours from today, that is, 10:30 PM CDT (-5 GMT). All votes already registered for the new legislation have been taken into account.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Provided the Anti-Nepotism Committee is fairly chosen, I have no objections to it and will thus vote in favor.

As for Herr Brunelli's so-called "Conclave Bill", I cannot help but consider the second provision to be an insult to me and my family. There is only one Stadtholder that is hereditarily elected at present, so this is nothing less than a Jacobin-fueled plot to radicalize the country. Unless the offending provision is deleted or otherwise altered, I vote no and ask all defenders of German traditions to do likewise. If the weakling Brunelli was not already wounded in one duel, I would demand satisfaction.

Michael von Hohenzollern, Stadtholder von Nürnberg and Minister of the Interior

I oppose both the Anti-Nepotism Bill and the Conclave Representation Act

Hals Gutfreund, New Society Member of the Assembly

Time for a new charictar I think
Name- Franz Josef ((this guy was the king of austria during the Austrian- Prussian war)
Date of birth- 18th of August 1830
Place of birth- Vienna
Party affiliation- HUN
Conclave
bio: A Nobel mans son, who's mother was a teacher of language, Franz learned many languages as a boy and learnt a lot of minority languages. He learned how to keep people calm and actually stopped a group of Italian rebels form organising and rebelling against his beloved Republic. While serving in the war against Pomerania ((I'm not sure, I think that's right)) he was badly injured and decided he'd try and use his diplomatic skills in politics

Last edited:
I abstain from voting on the Conclave Representation Amendment, as I see no real reason to oppose nor to support the measure.

Until the selection of the meritocratic committee is ironed out to the degree that it could not be subverted to serve the ends of less-principled statesmen, I oppose the Anti-Nepotism Bill as well-intentioned but entirely too dangerous.