• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Hohenzollern was kidnapped! The government must assure that our gendarmerie is on the case; and I would suggest that the Army is called in to search for the young boy. We know his general location, so solving the case should be doable, provided that we treat this matter with the urgency it deserves.

- DDr. Gotha

The kidnapping of any German citizen, Hohenzollern or not, is unacceptable. We must do something.

((For the purposes of keeping the AAR on track, I'll play through and we'll just "time" the kidnapping to coincide with the update. Expect an update in a couple of hours.))

((You just doomed yourself to never ever be an ally of my character :p, And I have intended to let him live till 31 December 1935, meaning he would be 86, with improved medicine this would not be ridiculous))

((Friedrich von Mannerheim lived to be like, 70 or so. Otto von Bismarck OTL lived to be almost 80...)

((If Hugo finds him can he drown the boy? I need to kill off some more Hohenzollern.))

((The HUN can very easily become the HN. ;)))

Sitting down to play now. Update coming soon!

1856: The question of an inheritance

1856 was, all things considered, a very peaceful and prosperous one for Germany. Although the economists were, perhaps, excessively sanguine about the budget cuts of Dr. Dominik Fellman, nonetheless, the German treasury improved to a considerable extent.

kia5.jpg

The actual results, after 12 months of activity, were less impressive, but the expansion of two factories and the expensive aid program to fight off another outbreak of influenza perhaps prevented the treasury’s expansion.

udl7.jpg

qg9x.jpg

Domestically, yet another flare up in Venice reminded Germans that some citizens were not entirely convinced of the value of German unity. The reduction of imports as a result caused hunger and starvation throughout upper Bavaria, already suffering a serious potato blight.

evbj1.jpg

9fnp.jpg

Still, quick thinking government officials ensured a steady stream of aid to the beleaguered people of the region, with Maximillian von Vandenburg, an Assemblyman from München being praised in particular, leading a few individuals to speculate he might be seeking higher office in the upcoming elections.

But, even in a time of peace, foreign affairs dominated the Republic of Germany’s attention. Castille, defeated by France in her disastrous war, lost all of her gains, won by the blood of German soldiers.

kjmr.jpg

But, that was not the end of the story for Castille, not by a long shot. Revolutionaries accomplished what soldiers could not, as a group of ex-patriates, who dreamt of a newly forged Kingdom of Spain, overthrew the government of Grenada and formally petitioned for union with Castille. The King of Castille, not wishing to anger his most powerful (and, indeed, only) friend, requested the assent of the Republic of Germany before agreeing, but Foreign Minister Michael von Hohenzollern was away, and discussion would have to wait until January of 1857.

The whereabouts of the Foreign Minister and head of the House of Hohenzollern were the subject of many rumors throughout the Republic; some speculated he had fallen victim to a secret society, although Michael’s denial seemed to kill those rumors flat.

zctr.jpg

The patriarch of the Hohenzollern family had a very busy 1856, as he revealed in a speech to the Reichstag in October of 1856. “Fellow Stadtholders and Assemblymen, I thank you all for your concern, and the letters I received were very touching. As many of you know, I have been a lifelong bachelor. As a career diplomat, I never had time to settle down and start a family. That all changed in January. I was in the Vatican, improving relations with the Pope and trying to convince him to abandon his British foolishness. I met the most lovely woman I’d ever imagined. I did not want her to be exposed to the German press, or even present her to you, my friends, before she was ready. You see, she was pregnant.”

Nobody spoke, stunned into silence. Even Michael himself said nothing for about a minute.

“And now, unfortunately, you never will meet her. She died during childbirth just three days ago, giving birth to my son and heir, Konrad Friedrich von Hohenzollern. The boy is resting comfortably; he is healthy and happy, and I look forward to the day when he can inherit my responsibilities.”

After a few more moments, applause broke out, but the jovial mood didn’t last for long. Upon hearing the news that her son had just lost his guaranteed riches and power, Ferdinand von Hohenzollern’s mother final shred of sanity snapped. She took her six year old son in the middle of the night and disappeared, leaving only a cryptic note:

“I wonder which of Germany’s enemies would like a claim on her lands?”

This will be the last update for about a week or so, as I’m leaving to go back home to the US, so this is a good time to have some intrigue, I’m thinking. :) I was going to actually rush through the next update so we’d end on an election, but DutchGuy, thankfully, gave us something to do in the interim.

I offer my dearest condolences to Herr von Hohenzollern; I am terribly sorry for the loss of your wife, and I promise that we will find Ferdinand and bring his mother to justice. I personally shall do my utmost to ensure that Ferdinand returns to his family safely. As an act of solidarity, I shall not make any political speeches in the coming election until Ferdinand is rescued.

~Friedrich von Hohenstaufen

The Ministry of Education is working on developing new agricultural methods to aid our starving citizens. I encourage all wealthy Germans and Italians to donate to our cause.

-Carlo Brunelli, Minister of Education

A noble effort indeed from the Ministry of Education. I myself shall donate a sizable portion of my personal wealth to aid those suffering within Bavaria.

The kidnapping of any German citizen, Hollenzollern or not, cannot be tolerated. However, since Ferdinand's mother left a note suggesting she may use her child as a claim against Germany for any of our enemies, this must be dealt with immediately. I petition the Minister of the Interior to call a state of emergency until the child is found and rescued.

Last edited:
I petition the Ministry of the Interior to call a state of emergency until the child is found and rescued.

von Altmark's ears peak up

I immediately call a state of emergency until the kidnapped child is found

Last edited:
I am sorry for not announcing this sooner, but I too shall make a sizable donation to those suffering in Bavaria. In addition to this donation I will make a personal visit to Bavaria to dispatch aid to communities that have been particularly hard-hit by this recent blight.

~Friedrich von Hohenstaufen

The Meier Family Company will make a large donation to peoples of Upper Bavaria, and the family itself will make contributions from their personal fortunes.

FM

The kidnapping of any German citizen, Hollenzollern or not, cannot be tolerated. However, since Ferdinand's mother left a note suggesting she may use her child as a claim against Germany for any of our enemies, this must be dealt with immediately. I petition the Minister of the Interior to call a state of emergency until the child is found and rescued.
Tell me tell me all of you just one thing. Why do we obsess about the kidnappings of one boy so much simply because he has a prominent last name. You all clamor because we say that he could generate claims. So what? We have no royals therefore why do we obsess over the kidnapping of a single person no matter how terrible it may be? We do it because we have a bogeyman in a hastily written note suggesting that the boy could give enemies claims on us. I ask what claims could there possibly be? We are not a monarchy. There is no throne to claim. We need to all step back and take a perspective on what has happened and calm down. Yes it is terrible that a young boy has been kidnapped but no it is not a national crisis.

von Altmark's ears peak up

I immediately call a state of emergency until the kidnapped children are found

Here we go again, Von Altmark. Must you insist on storing arming the populace at every turn you can? A single boy has been kidnapped. This is a daily occurrence. The only thing remotely special is that he has a famous last name. Please calm down and revoke this frivolous state of emergency at once.

The Ministry of Education is working on developing new agricultural methods to aid our starving citizens. I encourage all wealthy Germans and Italians to donate to our cause.
Quite nice of you to organize that Minister Brunelli, I shall make a sizable donation.That said I would rather not have to pass the hat around every time there is a food shortage somewhere in Germany. Accordingly I propose the following:
Food Security Act​
  1. A department known as "The Department of Agriculture" shall be created
  2. The above named department shall report to the Conclave of Stradeholders exclusively.
  3. It shall only report by means of the Clerk of the Conclave of Stradeholders at request of a Stradeholder.
  4. This department shall have the power to levy a tax of not less than 1% and not more than 3%
  5. The above named tax shall be applied equitably to all Citizens of the German Republic.
  6. 80% or more of the funds from the above-named tax shall be put into a trust.
  7. Of the funds not put into the trust no more than 10% will be for anything but agricultural research
  8. The trust shall be known as the "Food Security Trust"
  9. The trust's mission shall be to responsibly grow the funds allotted to the trust with the understanding that a resin able reserve must be kept to guard against finical loss and having funds on hand to assist famine affected areas.
  10. There shall be 7 Trusties of the above mentioned trust.
  11. The chancellor and each cabinet member shall have the power to appoint 1 trustee to the Food Security Trust.
  12. The trustees shall have terms of 7 years and they shall be staggered so only one is in need of appointment each year.
  13. Until such time as a staggered term system can be established original trustees shall establish by lot the order in which they leave office.
  14. After a food emergency as declared by the Minister of the Interior the Department of Agriculture shall be authorized to distribute food aid using funds from the Food Security Trust until such time as the declaration of food emergency has been lifted or expires
This act shall act as insurance against the possibility of food shortage in a reasonable and effective manner. I urge you to vote for it to assist in the these event in the future.
((No I neither want to make some poor player have to be in charge of the Department of Agriculture,nor do I want to make people be trusties. Lastly I think the way I worded this it would be a conclave only vote.))

Here we go again, Von Altmark. Must you insist on storing arming the populace at every turn you can? A single boy has been kidnapped. This is a daily occurrence. The only thing remotely special is that he has a famous last name. Please calm down and revoke this frivolous state of emergency at once.

I am simply following the call of some of our brother politicians. Is a innocent child from the first family of Germany not important enough for a thorough search.

((Any and all new positions are considered constitutional amendments. What would be the practical in-game effect of the Minister of Agriculture?))

My dear von Altmark,

Do you think a declaration of martial law is truly necessary to find the missing lad? Surely your skilled Gendarmerie could find him? I will abstain from the vote to sustain your declaration of martial law for now, but reserve the right to change my mind.

Thank you all for your sympathy, and I personally pledge £10 million of my family's fortune for the relief fund proposed by Stadtholder Brunelli, as it is a truly worthy cause.

I formally request the Assembly vote on our granting our assent for the unification of Grenada and Castille under the rulership of the King of Castille. ((Can somebody remind me what the event number for the annexation event is? The one that provides cores?))

Michael von Hohenzollern