• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Since we're voting on whether to go to war or not, I think it is. You can still voice an opinion, though.))

Finally, a chance to strike down the French and reassert our dominance in the West. Do it, do it now.

I vote Yes for war on France to aid our Spanish friends.

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Proud Imperialist, Conclave

Against, and I must point out, this is precisely what I told the Assembly would happen. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it are, if we fight other countries' battles we shall find they have an endless supply of old grudges to settle.

((Also, OOCly, I've been vexed in V2 by fighting spherelings' wars only to find, oops, one of them is now the 8th Great Power.))

((DOWs require a majority of both houses to pass -- justifications are assembly only.))

The vote is now official. Since I (speaking as the GM) think a war vote is rather likely, I will indeed publish a chronicle of our war against the Byzantines, and I'll slip some screenshots of France towards the end for planning purposes. That should be up in an hour or two.

The Byzantine War of 1853

One of the most successful wars in the history of the German Republic began with some controversy when Chancellor Bismarck, with the approval of Foreign Minister (and Army Chief of Staff) Unger, quietly extended the emergency taxes put in place by the crisis and increased funding to 100% of army and navy needs. [1]

jnr7.jpg

When this increase was discovered a few days later, Chancellor Bismarck responded only with, “We are at war. Not giving our soldiers and sailors the weapons they need is, in my opinion, nothing short of treason, and I am certain that Dr. Fellman would have approved my program if we had time to discuss is.”

Foreign Minister Unger, before leaving for the temporary HQ in Graz, personally negotiated with the Transylvanian and Bosnian ambassadors to Germany, securing a declaration of war from the former and the right to pass through the lands of the latter.

qxqt.jpg

Shortly after the vote to declare war on the Byzantines, the German Reichstag was pleased to receive a telegram from General Albrecht Stolzer, who had defeated the rebels in Siena. [2] In Nice, the port of the German Navy, Alexander Schobber prepared to take 1st Fleet across the sea to seek out Byzantine shipping, leaving a capable subordinate with the transports and 5 men o’ war to support the invasion of Greece.

b5y5.jpg

German soldiers began marching for Byzantine soil on 9 May after receiving orders from the Army Chief of Staff. 3rd Army headed for the fortress of Livno, while the other three armies tasked with fighting the Byzantines moved to their staging areas. General von Horstein, in the meantime, reported his own victory over the rebels in Treviso, remarking that “if these Jacobin scum spent as much energy training as they do committing treason, we might actually break a sweat putting them down!”

He would have a much more difficult with the Venetians, however, as he moved to support General Hartmann. To their shock, the commander of the Lombard uprising was a retired German Colonel named Maximilian Hoffmann. A bright, capable officer, he had served with distinction in the campaigns against the British and the Deucoleur Empire.

gqyk.jpg

The difficulty of assaulting the rebels across the lagoon, combined with the bold counterattacks by Hoffmann, made the victory a very costly one for the Republic, with almost 10% of the German two armies engaged becoming casualties. Hoffmann was killed during the fighting, but intelligence found on his person indicated that the Lombard Patriot Movement had been funded, at least in part, by contributions from the Jacobins.

3dzf4.jpg

Farther to the west, 5th and 7th Armies prepared to take ship for the invasion of Greece.

u0yk5.jpg

By 19 May, Castille dispatched the meager forces left to garrison the port of Santander and began to siege the fortifications. In less than two weeks since the war’s outset, significant progress had already been made. 22 May saw the end of the rebellion in Stade. By 28 May, 2nd Fleet sailed with its cargo of soldiers for the Gulf of Taranto. 16th Army – delayed by difficulties finding enough space on the somewhat outdated railroads of Eastern Germany – finally reached its own staging area on 8 June, attacking across Bosnia into Byzantine lands.

sv0g.jpg

3 July 1853 had been tentatively scheduled for the beginning of elections, but a few Imperialists had actually tried to raise the issue of postponing them until the conclusion of war. The Imperialists feared the presence of the new HUN, worrying that some of their more liberal members might defect. On 14 July, the second phase of the war against the Byzantines began with the dual-pronged invasion of Greece.

u2pp.jpg

General Julius von Habsburg, a proud Imperialist in his own right, took the letter from his cousin in the Conclave, spat on it, tore it up, and threw it into the Mediterranean. “That any true son of the Habsburgs would stoop so low as to call himself an Italian… Rest assured, all of the real, untainted Habsburgs shun this fool.”

This incident became a key feature in the upcoming elections, even as Chancellor Bismarck begged for civility. [3]

x8h8.jpg

The fortress of Livno fell on 18 July, but the real news came in August from the Atlantic, as Admiral Schobber systematically engaged and destroyed the Byzantine fleet before shelling the capital of Montevideo with impunity.

7s2j.jpg

x4hq.jpg

Admiral Schobber’s decision to ship a case home of “indigenous religious artifacts” to Germany as trophies of war prompted a ferocious debate on the question of religious propriety. Carlo Brunelli, although a proud Catholic, nonetheless won the day, at least temporarily, by sidestepping the question and positing that politics and religion did not mix.

qbnnb.jpg

For the first time since the war began, German and Byzantine soldiers exchanged shots at the Battle of Janina on 13 September 1853. Foreign Minister Unger, hoping to avoid further bloodshed, tried to use the offices of the French Ambassador to Germany to arrange a peace, especially with the port of Santander in Castillian hands. The Byzantines were not interested, however, despite their losses at sea and despite the lands they’d lost. 22 September 1853 – the conclusion of the Battle of Janina – changed their minds.

wvzm.jpg

Transylvanian forces were already dangerously close to Constantinople, which although no longer the capital, was still the source of Byzantine power in Europe. The first battle between German and Byzantine forces would prove to be the last, as they surrendered Santander to Castille 5 days later.

vp8s.jpg

Emboldened by their victory (conveniently discounting the amount of aid they received from Germany and Transylvania), Castille decided to regain more of the former Spanish Empire by declaring war on France. While certain members of the Reichstag – most notably the leader of the HUN, Michael von Hohenzollern – enthusiastically supported the war with France in hopes of regaining German lands, many more were opposed to further bloodshed.

The monetary cost of the war had been approximately £30,000, and there were fewer than 5000 total casualties during the war with the Byzantines, most of them wounded. The German people, certainly, were willing to support a war with one of their most hated enemies, even if it meant more taxes.

8jzm.jpg

The question was, what about their elected representatives?

[1] I know nobody specifically said to do this, but we’d look pretty stupid if we lost the war because we only had 70% maintenance on the Army and Navy.

[2] I’m retconning the term, first used by Sakura_F, I think, to mean “the Conclave and Assembly as a collective unit.” I’ve tried to use English analogs for German words wherever possible in this version of the AAR (as opposed to the first two components of the megacampaign), so I could also use “Parliament” if that’s preferable.

[3] The event, basically speaking, makes Soldiers, Aristocrats, and Officer POPs more reactionary throughout the country (except in colonies). All POPs on German cores with Bavarian culture become more jingoist; all POPs on German cores without Bavarian culture are more pacifist. This is on top of the normal boosts to consciousness, political awareness, and war exhaustion.

Here are some bonus screenshots to get you up to speed on the end of the war.

France proper:

q5k1.jpg

French Spain:

a1r2.jpg

The positions of our soldiers as of the end of the war:

ucdll.jpg

7th Army is the one in Janina; 5th Army is on Corfu. 16th Army is the one on the border with Bosnia – they didn’t get very far into Byzantine territory by the end of the war. 3rd Army is the one trapped in IRL Bulgaria; they actually can’t get back to German territory without the fleet because everybody hates us that borders the Byzantines (except Transylvania, with whom there’s no direct land connection). We also need the fleet to get 5th Army off of Corfu. Everybody else can walk if we need them to.

Most of our combat ships are still on the Atlantic Coast of IRL Brazil, and will take some time to get back. They took relatively little damage in the battles, but the attrition from crossing the Atlantic will take a bit of time to repair. Castille has some colonies in northern South America, and we could fix them up there, or send them back to Germany.

The red area is the state we have the CB on – the province to the left of the green line (Moulins) is our actual core.

Finally, here’s the French Empire as a whole:

e4c8.jpg

Everybody in the Reichstag needs to vote on the DOW – both Assembly and Conclave. The vote will go for 24 hours or so.

I abstain from voting on the declaration of war.

Ja

FM

((Against, but I think I already did. "Reichstag" seems fine to me. Would one of the more warlike members of the AAR like to notice we've got brigades from understrength POPs?))

I would be interested to know what we know about the total strength of the French military. I still hope that sense will prevail, but if it does not, we should at least be well-informed.

I am changing my vote to nay. I do not believe that we can afford to fight a war against one of the Great Powers at this time.

((Also, why are tariffs at 0%? Don't they give you massive amounts of income?))

I vote to go to war with France.

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

((Very nice update, btw. Thanks!))

I vote Nay as well. While I wish for Gemrnay to keep her promises there is an expectation for a reasonable war policy from our allies.
((Also, why are tariffs at 0%? Don't they give you massive amounts of income?))
((Tariffs are at 0% for a number of reasons. Partially, because my character is somewhat opposed to them. Further, he does not wish to anger the DDA, and to top it all of the last time we ran the numbers for how much we would get out of a tariff our income was wildly inconsistent. ))

I vote for war. ((I needed to do it...))

It is in our interest to create a strong Castille (future Spain) in the south of France. A conflict now will assure peace and superiority in the future.

And even more, I would suggest the Foreign Minister to propose a full offensive against the French that looks to reclaim not only our lands and Castilla y Leon whether also other Spanish lands like Valencia, Galicia or Catalonia. This way will prevent future wars while keeping our allies.

Finally, I want to announce that me and my son will enlist with our forces once hostilities with France begin. Such is the grade of our compromise with this fair cause.

Miguel de la Rosa Picard

Aye. This is a golden opportunity to weaken French power, reclaim our rightful land, and aid our trusted ally all at once. To war!

((Tip: If at any point in Vicky 2 you think about using tariffs for more than a short period, find the nearest blunt object. Strike yourself in the forehead. Repeat as necessary. Tariffs, if used as a primary source of revenue, can obliterate any but the strongest economies, who don't need them anyway.))

All members of the HUN are considered back with their old parties for this vote. Dadarian is an Imperialist, since Gen. Marshall never said no (or yes). The vote to declare war on France for the recovery of our cores and for French passes. In the Assembly, 302 votes in favor, 113 votes against, 85 abstaining. In the Conclave, 76 votes in favor, 24 votes against.

Minister Gutfreund, you may proceed at your leisure.