• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
People of the Republic,

As my friend and co-founder of our new party, Michael von Hohenzollern, stated earlier, he has no interest in becoming Kaiser or King or made any type of permanent leader of this Republic. Our land is a Republic and it will stay this way. The reason for forming this party is in defense of keeping these lands strong. Over the past decade we have fought in three wars where we reclaimed lands on the isle of Britannia and Liberia of western Africa. The final war we kept one of our allies safe from Hungary's aggression towards it. These are good things and for that our party supports our military as they lead our lands to greater strength.

Above all we seek what is best for our nation. At this time we believe a strong military, full rights of citizenship to all people who live within our borders, for those citizens to find faith in any religion they so choose, all trades should have no tariffs put on it as this deters trading, and that the government should guide the future of our nations industry. This last may seem contradictory to our beliefs in what is best for the nation but it isn't. When Capitalist investors and businessmen guided our industry we were on equal footing of other nations. However, nearly half of the factories were closed and they were poorly run. Thanks to the guidance of the Meier family our industry is now unmatched, we have many factories across the nation that gives thousands of jobs and goods, and a railway system available for both civilian and military alike. Therefore it is in the best interest of this nation and the people within for the government to determine our industrial future at this time.

This is where the men of the HUN stand.

Thank You,

Hugo Unger

((varetta- the UAI hasn't been the Unger-Asch Initiative since the EUIII AAR. During the prologue it was changed to Union of Allied Interests. Just FYI))

People of the Republic,

As my friend and co-founder of our new party, Michael von Hohenzollern, stated earlier, he has no interest in becoming Kaiser or King or made any type of permanent leader of this Republic. Our land is a Republic and it will stay this way. The reason for forming this party is in defense of keeping these lands strong. Over the past decade we have fought in three wars where we reclaimed lands on the isle of Britannia and Liberia of western Africa. The final war we kept one of our allies safe from Hungary's aggression towards it. These are good things and for that our party supports our military as they lead our lands to greater strength.

Above all we seek what is best for our nation. At this time we believe a strong military, full rights of citizenship to all people who live within our borders, for those citizens to find faith in any religion they so choose, all trades should have no tariffs put on it as this deters trading, and that the government should guide the future of our nations industry. This last may seem contradictory to our beliefs in what is best for the nation but it isn't. When Capitalist investors and businessmen guided our industry we were on equal footing of other nations. However, nearly half of the factories were closed and they were poorly run. Thanks to the guidance of the Meier family our industry is now unmatched, we have many factories across the nation that gives thousands of jobs and goods, and a railway system available for both civilian and military alike. Therefore it is in the best interest of this nation and the people within for the government to determine our industrial future at this time.

This is where the men of the HUN stand.

Thank You,

Hugo Unger

((varetta- the UAI hasn't been the Unger-Asch Initiative since the EUIII AAR. During the prologue it was changed to Union of Allied Interests. Just FYI))

Assemblyman Graaff,

If the Imperial crown was handed to me on a silver platter, I would not accept, unless I knew the people themselves wanted me to accept it.

Michael von Hohenzollern

((Apologies for not updating tonight -- I will do so tomorrow, and we will have some things to talk about!))

EDIT: ((DutchGuy's party switch takes effect immediately; the members of the new HUN will vote with their old parties until the next election, which is coming in the next update after the one I post tomorrow anyway.))
While I am glad to see that the HUN is not a monarchist party, I find myself appalled by their Jingoist tendencies. These are men who would send other good men to die, and for what? More often than not a small parcel of land at the cost of tens or hundreds of thousands of lives.

This new party is just here to destroy democracy like the imperialists .
Also,I am switching my alliegance to The Alliance

Wilhelm von Habsburg
I am saddened to see the economist movement die out, not because I am an economist myself but because I had hoped it reperented a greater pivot towards Liberalism.

Now that neither Unger nor Asch are in the UAI, I propose to change the name of our party to Federal Alliance for Progress (FAP) or to any other denomination that current UAI members propose.

Miguel de la Rosa Picard

((I highly recommend you don't use the abbreviation FAP. I'll never be able to take your party seriously if you do. :eek:o))

((Private correspondence of Christian Peymann))
The situation could hardly be better. A von Habsburg joins the Alliance, a party now with some power. The centre parties fracturing. No new wars, and a fat payoff from peace. I wish Uncle Joachim were alive to see it; I suppose he'd be banging on about capitalism, but there's no shortage of goods for the family to ship. I myself save Germany from a constitutional crisis; thank you so for the timely advice on what to propose.

Better keep an eye on those Imperialist chaps, though. Never know what they'll cook up next.

((I highly recommend you don't use the abbreviation FAP. I'll never be able to take your party seriously if you do. :eek:o))

((I do not know why you say that... :rolleyes:

Vote FAP, FAP, FAP for the Chancellery and you´ll feel better!! :cool:

Now seriously, what about the german version, Bundes Allianz für den Fortschritt (BAF)?

EtzelHoveri -- Yes, you were right, but I dislike that name even more than Unger-Asch Alliance. :) ))

1852: The political tides shift

The twelve-month period from July 1851 to July 1852 saw political battle lines redrawn throughout Germany. Wilhelm von Habsburg’s efforts to gather enough support to form a political party dedicated to peace and economic development failed, but his aggressive campaigning irritated any number of his fellow Stadtholders. [1] Yet that was not the end of the maneuvering between parties, as the completely unexpected alliance of Hohenzollern and Unger saw the birth of a new conservative party, one to the right of the New Society. [2]

fjk9.jpg

The formation of the Hohenzollern Unger Nationalist Party had ramifications, beginning with Stadtholder von Habsburg’s defection to the Alliance. The speech by party leader Hugo Unger set the tone clearly: the HUN would aggressively pursue foreign policy, but they would staunchly support republicanism and republican ideals. The defection of von Habsburg to the Alliance – the first recorded party defection in the Modern Era of the German Republic – signaled to some that more defections might be forthcoming. [3]

Yet while all of these backroom deals were going on, the business of the Republic remained. The UAI’s leader, Dr. Dominick Fellman, pushed through yet another tax cut. There were some grumblings that he was merely trying to curry favor with the people, but even the most cynical observer had to acknowledge that the tax cut did the German people a world of good. [4]

j4rk.jpg

Foreign Minister Unger continued to pursue a middle course in foreign affairs, not confident about the popular mandate his new party would receive. Even though the British Empire supported Kurdish independence, requests made to Germany for aid fell on deaf ears. [5] Meanwhile, Interior Minister Friedrich-Augustus von Altmark used the increased funding given by Minister of Education Carlo Brunelli to support programs for greater literacy near the backward city of Berlin.

envva.jpg

Immediately, Minister Brunelli assigned his Ministry’s funding to the development of improved railroads, hoping to further stimulate economic development. New, mechanized mines sprang up all around the country, hoping to cash in on the projected railroad boom: Stade was but the first of many. To demonstrate his absolute commitment to bolstering technological and educational progress, Brunelli even quietly admonished the administrations of a few schools in Friesland for the lack of instruction available in the French language. The result was an immediate outpouring of charitable donations and grants to the new railroad program.

mkomp.jpg

The Italians remained a more difficult problem. Wisely recognizing that the schools of Venetia were well staffed, Minister von Altmark shifted funding to the state of Mecklenburg, hoping to encourage the growth of more Bureaucrats there. However, this move backfired – the Italian inhabitants of the German republic did not see this as a wise, well-considered move, but a further attack on Italian sovereignty. To show solidarity for the Venetian “plight”, the city of Grosseto burned a number of German flags and insisted upon, at a bare minimum, an autonomous republic of Italy within a German federation.

quee.jpg

Outraged, the Interior Minister counterattacked. The Gendarmerie went out in force, putting down societies for Swiss, Byzantine, French, Dutch, Flemish, Lorrainian, Gelren, and Polish independence. A revolution in nearby Holstein, on the one hand, perhaps indicated that Altmark’s policies were excessively harsh.

t6e2.jpg

Yet, on the other hand, it paid dividends in Elsass-Lothringen. Agents of the Gendarmerie were more subtle there, and used any number of questionable but effective tactics to bolster support for a resolution from the local Assembly to seek greater integration with Germany. [6]

ojfi.jpg

The rest of the world proved unstable as well, as there were revolutions in both Chagatai and Oman.

aec4.jpg

y5o6d.jpg

The Chagatai revolution would have a more lasting impact; it inspired the authorities of Chimu to throw the British out of their home and declare full independence from foreign influences. The British, humiliated, decided to use the opportunity to attack German policy towards the independent Republic of Venice. Chancellor von Bismarck, who attended the conference in person, insisted that his Minister of the Interior had done nothing wrong. The business of Germany within her borders was just that, her business. The Byzantine and French delegations loudly protested that their own national communities had been mistreated, seeing an opportunity to perhaps see Germany taken down a peg or two.

ac98c.jpg

The Chancellor grew more and more irritated as his country, his beloved home, was berated by halfwits who couldn’t even look after their own puppets. Losing his temper, he slammed his fist on the podium and said, for the entire world to hear, “To hell with you and your weakness! If the Republic of Venice cannot show the proper attitude towards her betters and stay out of other countries’ business, perhaps she needs a more forceful lesson!”

6eso2.jpg

The silence was deafening. The members of the Venetian delegation, many of whom were only “officially” friendly towards Germany, simply walked out. The Byzantine and French delegations issued a formal warning before they, too, walked out of the conference. The British did all they could to keep from squealing with glee.

For all of that, Germany had an opportunity to display imperial muscle, to show that the British were every bit as foolish as the Chancellor had claimed.

0ki2k.jpg

Would he press for that forceful lesson he had promised, especially with an election just over a year away?

[1] Sorry, DutchGuy. :D
[2] Of course, it depends on how you define “left” and “right” in the political spectrum, but I think the eagerness of the HUN for war counteracts their benevolence towards national minorities. That’s just my opinion, though.
[3] I don’t have the time or inclination to go through the EU3 AAR and see if there were any such changes made. I’ll use the old historian’s trick of arbitrary periodization. Yay, periodization!
[4] The treasury fluctuated quite a bit, sometimes losing money, sometimes gaining, but on the whole it was positive. The screen you see here isn’t very different from any screen I’d post from the end of the update.
[5] When I saw the British support Kurdistan, I was going to save the game and see if we wanted to support the other side after all – I hit ESC by accident, which made us refuse. :blush: I don’t think much would have happened, in all seriousness.
[6] Practical effect: 2 infamy for a boost in assimilation rate (+10%) and CON at the province level, plus all non-Bavarian POPs get +5 to CON.

For any new proposals, amendments, party defections, or choosing new party leaders, I’m going to give you 72 hours. You are not required to choose new party leaders; it is simply an option available to you. The next update will be eighteen months and include the first elections for the HUN (and everyone else, of course).

((I do not know why you say that... :rolleyes:

Vote FAP, FAP, FAP for the Chancellery and you´ll feel better!! :cool:

Now seriously, what about the german version, Bundes Allianz für den Fortschritt (BAF)?))

((Can't go wrong with a German-named party in a Germany AAR, although that FAP slogan is pretty catchy. :p))

With the diplomatic tension brought on by the Venice incident, we must stand strong. The nations of Europe constantly watch us with envy and greed in their eyes. They will not fail to take any opportunity to weaken our glorious nation. We must not let this incident pass without taking action or Germany's enemies will soon encircle us like vultures circling a fresh cadaver. I will not see Germany become the sick man of Europe!

[Bismarck mutters unpleasant things about the Venetians]

While the Economic fluctuations are something I will personally be keeping an eye on they are not serious enough to warrant a tax hike. As such the Finance Ministry announces No Changes to the current policy.

The Republic is on the verge of total enlightenment. Our industry and economy are booming for the benefit of all citizens.

If there is one area we lack wisdom, it is the area of international force. Now that the Venetians have been reprimanded, I pray that we do not resort to barbarous warfare. May God have mercy in our souls.

-Carlo Brunelli, Minister of Education

9uk6.jpg

((Enjoy! I should also take this opportunity to note that we also ought to consider allying with our spherelings; they used to offer themselves right away, but it's worth considering your foreign policy update.))

((EtzelHoveri has been quite busy, and thus has not prepared a foreign ministry plan. The Chancellor has the option of naming a new foreign minister or submitting the plan himself.))

In lieu of the Foreign Minister's absence, I shall be considering potential replacements should he not show his face much more. However, his job is still his, for now. I will propose that we immediately ally our spherelings and begin the process of sphering any remaining neighbors of France that we have yet to sphere.

What of Venice, Herr Chancellor?

--Michael von Hohenzollern

What of Venice, Herr Chancellor?

Venice is a long ways away in the Amazon. We have their precious city of canals, why bother going to war with a bunch of Italians playing in the jungle?

Venice is a long ways away in the Amazon. We have their precious city of canals, why bother going to war with a bunch of Italians playing in the jungle?

It is for precisely such a statement that I and Assemblyman Unger founded the HUN. I wish you luck in the upcoming elections, as you will most definitely need it.

It is for precisely such a statement that I and Assemblyman Unger founded the HUN. I wish you luck in the upcoming elections, as you will most definitely need it.

Well thank you, Herr Hohenzollern for your candor.