• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Does anyone else want to join the Economist Party? We only need one more member... A greater economy for a greater Germany!))

I am also against the new amendment. 20 is far too young to entrust someone with matters of state. They need time to grow and preferably should spend their twenties seeking an education or pursuing a career in a field related to government so that they can best serve the nation once they are old enough to join our ranks.

Industrial plan passes.

Economic resolution fails, 6 votes in favor, 57 votes against, 37 votes abstaining ((no UAI)).

As the newly proposed amendment by DutchGuy does not affect gameplay, I'm going to go ahead and play tonight. In the future, I'm going to set specific timelines for constitutional amendments in particular, so be on the look out. :)

I must vote no to this admmendent. While I support people becoming involved in polotics, I cannot support people so young and inexperienced to the point of not even being out of higher education in most cases, being involved in national polotics.

Last edited:
I do not know if i have asked yet, But would herr Fellman be interested in joining my party ?

Wilhelm von Habsburg
While I personally applaud the move of some of this assembly towards liberalism I myself find you party to be to consertive for my tastes as opposed to my currrent choice in the UAI. ((Nice try,but Dr.Fellman has no intentions to walk from the UAI right now.))

1851: The year of peace and prosperity

The Republic of Germany could have certainly used some peace and quiet, and 1851 promised to deliver just that. The government invested £260,000 in factories all over Germany: Bohemia, Franconia, Hessen, Lombardy, Venice, and Austria all saw factory upgrades financed. The new Foreign Minister, Hugo Unger, saw his Middle Eastern tour pay off, and his triumphant return to Brittany convinced a lot of the most important politicians there that Germany could be a valuable bulwark against French aggression.

hglps.jpg

Farther east, however, the world looked quite different, as three Asian countries saw turmoil and upheaval.

6tu2x.jpg

2x13j.jpg

The collapse in Ak Koyunlu, in particular, reverberated throughout the world, and by July 1851, a group of Kurdish nationalist began seeking independence from them. [1] The people of Germany, however, were not eager to engage with foreign powers. They preferred to see the German portions of Croatia become more developed, as one example of more successful government intervention.

81j8o.jpg

All of these successes were largely attributed to Chancellor Otto von Bismarck. With the constitutional crisis behind him, he focused his energies on building consensus for his policies. He was hailed as a “quiet genius” by those around him. [2]

y5vmt.jpg

The United Kingdom and France finally ended their longstanding feud, with the British surrendering portions of their colonies in Canada, Africa, and even the city of Novgorod to Norway, thanks to French intervention. Humiliated and beaten, the British turned to Poland as a counterbalance to France. If another war were to come, they would not be defeated so easily.

Only one spot of trouble flared up in Germany while France and the British Empire settled their differences. A committee, attempting to seek an end (or at least a reduction) to child labor was met with nothing less than derision by a session of the Conclave. Michael von Hohenzollern, most noticeably, proclaimed that he had worked since the age of 10 and that he had never regretted it once (conveniently forgetting that his actual job at the age of 10 was a ceremonial Colonel of one of the army regiments).

05r2.jpg

Interior Minister von Altmark used the gendarmerie, as he had the year before, to restore order via a public display of pride and power.

xfwk.jpg

Yet the Interior Minister had some issues with the government. His bid for power had not been backed by his own party, and he was increasingly frustrated that he received no respect from his comrades. Joining with the Economist’s Party of Wilhelm von Habsburg, the two men hoped to change the balance of power. The new party, if enough signatures could be found, would serve as the logical fusion of the ideas of the Alliance and the New Society; a party dedicated to the peaceful expansion of German might through government and industry. They were joined by an Assemblyman of the UAI, Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, a newcomer in politics. If one more individual joined their new party in time, they could be registered for the 1853 elections. Hohenstaufen gained recognition, along with Fritz von Hohenzollern and a few other prudent investors, with the formation of the Hapag in April of 1851.

iuplz.jpg

All of Germany, it might be said, was rich. The government raked in huge amounts of cash, yet the people still prospered individually. The middle class, in particular, benefited from the tax policy of Minister Fellman’s economic policy.

r72m4.jpg

Order, more than anything else, was the watchword in Germany. People were happy and content, a good sign for the elections of 1853. But there were still many months to go before then. Would the new Economist Party get the support needed to challenge the New Society’s power? Would the coalition with the Alliance crumble? What of the suspiciously quiet Imperialists? Were they up to something?

The German Republic did not lack for intrigue, if perhaps it lacked for excitement.

[1] A crisis triggered in Central Asia. Based on EtzelHoveri’s policies, I declined to get involved, and I’m nearly certain it will fizzle. I do hope we get some stuff in Europe soon with the British/French wars over.

[2] I almost spit out my beverage at this one. Bismarck a genius? Maybe. Quiet? Not so much.

A dull update, I know. Hopefully we get some excitement in the next one!

((Hopefully people join the Economist Party now that we were mentioned in the update. One more member is all we need!))

((The only thing I worry about is that we are so rich and stable that we won't have any conflict. I guess we have to make it ourselves))

((In game terms, we have highish MIL (approaching 2) but negligible CON. That will change over time, should stir up more rebellions, if nothing else.))

The clever Italian, Brunelli, was wise to avoid the political disaster that should have been named "The tying of Germany's hands behind her back Proposal". I wonder if he had received political support would he have been so quick to correct his forgetfulness of leaving out the word "discussion"?

It has been 48 hours (roughly) since our Stadtholder von Habsburg submitted his Constitutional Amendment.

It has failed, with 0 votes in the Assembly in favor, 460 votes against, 40 votes abstaining (no Alliance). In the Conclave, it narrowly failed, with 41 votes in favor, 43 against, 16 abstaining (no UAI).

As of this post begins a 48 hour window to submit new amendments. Ministers may also make changes to their proposals if needed.

The clever Italian, Brunelli, was wise to avoid the political disaster that should have been named "The tying of Germany's hands behind her back Proposal". I wonder if he had received political support would he have been so quick to correct his forgetfulness of leaving out the word "discussion"?

Since foreign policy is the domain of the Assembly, I thought it wise for them to discuss it. We are inching ever so closely to a world of peace. The German and Italian people are sick of war and want to maintain the stability and riches of the past year.

-Carlo Brunelli, Minister of Education

(( Just as a heads up, I may be completely absent for a bit here. I got set up to do a week-long business trip with only a few days warning, and I'm not sure what access I'll have to the internet. Or what time I'll have, for that matter. ))

Could I get a map of Central Asia?

Here you are!

h76e.jpg

The reddish-pink blob between Hedjaz and AK is part of Poland. The brownish one surrounded by Tibet, QK, and Sikkim is Oirat Horde (it's actually a two province minor, but they're really big provinces.) The pinkish on the Arabian Peninsula is Yemen, the purple in India part of Malacca.

Our deadline for new amendments will expire in 6 hours. If at all possible, I would prefer to hear from all ministers whether or not their plans are changing by tomorrow evening at around 10 PM (+4 GMT). I have confirmation from EtzelHoveri there are no changes forthcoming, and we of course already know that Idhrendur will be absent for a time. Given the voluminous list of techs provided by Andre Massena, we can also safely assume no changes there. So, in reality, I just need to hear from Dadarian, BrotherSid, and Jack LEagle.

Our deadline for new amendments will expire in 6 hours. If at all possible, I would prefer to hear from all ministers whether or not their plans are changing by tomorrow evening at around 10 PM (+4 GMT). I have confirmation from EtzelHoveri there are no changes forthcoming, and we of course already know that Idhrendur will be absent for a time. Given the voluminous list of techs provided by Andre Massena, we can also safely assume no changes there. So, in reality, I just need to hear from Dadarian, BrotherSid, and Jack LEagle.
(( :blush: Note to self: trying to play chicken with an absent person won't work))
People of the German Republic, I bring good news the times are great and reduced spending on our military has brought us to a great surplus. As such I am happy to announce a 8% tax cut across all ranks of our society.