• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Hey, for once it isn't Michaelangelo constantly trying to resurrect dead Germany families! :D What branch is he in? Conclave or Assembly?))

Chapter 11: The people have spoken; is anyone listening?

((Note: We’re still doing 12 month updates, so we’re going July to July.))

The German Republic had never had elections like those of 1849. The result might have been a familiar one – the New Society elected a new Chancellor – but the coalition between the New Society and the Alliance had been completely unforeseen. The Alliance had almost been completely overlooked in the past 14 years; a smattering of unimportant posts, the indignity of a single vote in the Conclave, and even worse, the populace entirely ignored them. It was the election of Carlo Brunelli, a Roman citizen who emigrated to Germany in hopes of a freer life, as an Assemblyman from Ravenna that galvanized and electrified the Alliance. While the UAI cautiously extended a hand of friendship, the Imperialists were horrified. Albrecht von Hohenzollern spewed vitriol at the Alliance, the UAI, and the New Society alike, even as he tried to drum up support to see his family (and himself) elevated to a more prominent role within the Republic.

Alex von Bern, the first Chancellor to be reelected to his post, might be the spokesman for the new political reality, but it was Otto von Bismarck who was the heart and soul. He was more than a match for Brunelli as a speaker, but was far less divisive. It was rumored that Bismarck, not Bern, was the real driving force behind the coalition, and for that he was rewarded with the coveted Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The war against Hungary would not be a challenging one: Bismarck could look forward to shaping Europe in his image.

It all came apart on a chance visit of Bern to his home in Switzerland, only hours after his election. The explosion devastated his family home. Rumors immediately began swirling that the Hohenzollern leader – or somebody in his name – had planned the assassination, as nobody claimed responsibility. However, within days of the death of Bern, Albrecht and his only son were killed by another blast that killed a number of other close family members; thankfully, Albrecht’s pregnant wife and twin daughters escaped. Michael von Hohenzollern, Albrecht’s cousin, took the family seat at Nürnberg and immediately called for blood, supporting Albrecht’s petition to see the Hohenzollerns formally named Heads of State. [1]

In the chaos that ensured, Interior Minister von Altmark did exactly that. Proclaiming himself acting Chancellor, as legally he was Deputy Chancellor until new elections were completed, he put forward comprehensive policies to punish those at hand. The Corps of Gendarmes was given free rein in all non-German areas of the Empire, as his measure was approved by the Conclave. [2]

v1scj.jpg

After breaking up a meeting of the Luxembourg Luncheon Society (the captain in charge of the detachment was heard to say, “what real German spells ‘burg’ with an ‘o’ anyway?”), the Gendarmerie found a cell of Jacobins in Switzerland, exhausting the emergency funding given by Minister von Altmark’s proposal. [3]

ihj6u.jpg

Although nothing the Minister had done was illegal, the fact remained that some politicians saw his eagerness to punish those who might or might not be guilty made the Alliance, in particular, a little uneasy. Christian Peymann, the son of Joachim, formally proposed that the New Society appoint a new Chancellor to end the Constitutional crisis. It proved to be the most popular vote in the Republic’s history – the only person who voted against it was Altmark, who saw his visions of nigh ultimate power dashed. The New Society unanimously chose Otto von Bismarck. Bismarck appointed the relatively unknown Hals Gutfreund as Minister of War and the seasoned politician Hugo Unger as Foreign Minister, filling all of the needed spots. Gutfreund chose to serve as Chief of the Army himself, but lacking experience as a soldier, simply allowed the troops to continue on with the orders ex-Chief Unger had given them.

The policy paid immediate dividends. Transylvania had already done an excellent job of occupying the eastern reaches of Hungary. In desperation, the Hungarians mounted attacks on the well-trained and fortified German armies, but all for naught.

xn3w.jpg

While fortress after fortress fell, something curious began to happen. The people of Germany, who had formerly eagerly supported the war, began to have their duties, in particular about harnessing Hungary to the German sphere via force.

3mv9.jpg

In an effort to build support for the war effort, Chancellor Bismarck gave a speech promoting the German support for victory as he was formally acknowledged as Chancellor.

tojmr.jpg

That worked, for a time. Unfortunately, two things happened simultaneously (or, perhaps, fortunately.) First, Brunelli, who had been named as Minister of Education by Bern (as part of his party’s compensation for the Alliance), gave a startling speech on the merits of a Laissez-Faire economic policy, one the German people had never experienced. Glowing accounts of booming industry without the need for high taxes was very appealing, and the German people looked more favorably on the Alliance.

4xix.jpg

Second, word of Minister Fellman’s “post-war tax cut” leaked out. He’d already cut taxes across the board by 2%.

ayxd.jpg

But his promise to not only cut taxes on the poor (meaning the rank and file soldiers) but increase the pay of all military men after the war not only convinced the electorate prolonging the war was a bad idea, but even the men fighting it.

rv5g8.jpg

There was simply no way the German people would tolerate reducing Hungary to a German puppet. Transylvania’s populace, on the other hand, eagerly used the opportunity to push for greater land claims, and after the war, Transylvania was recognized as the #4 Great Power in the world.

pgn8.jpg

With the rest of the world busily fighting for dominance, the pleas of Ingria to seek independence fell on deaf ears. [4]

l24d.jpg

Germany’s peace – and the promised tax cut – did pay dividends, and a spontaneous police celebration in Nürnberg seemed to ease tensions, at least for a while.

kwnaq.jpg

8vjr.jpg

The rest of the world, however, simply would not stay quiet. France and the United Kingdom fought a bitter war over Norwegian Canada that saw France occupying most of the British Isles.

ooei.jpg

The Jacobins struck again in Ethiopia, as Karl Marx continued to inspire fear and devotion in different classes with his rhetorical genius.

6kmlv.jpg

Michael von Hohenzollern begged for a German army to hunt down the revolutionary madman but, sadly, his pleas fell on deaf ears. The nation was too torn by the tragedy of the Girl from Dortmund; Stadtholder Brunelli vowed his new industrial program would further mechanize mining and reduce the need to send such young girls into the mines.

cswg1.jpg

bddw.jpg

Before any talk of meaningful social reform could begin, however, an incident between the Gendarmerie and a Venetian citizen provoked an international crisis. The Doge of Venice demanded the citizen be set free; the Gendarmerie insisted he was part of the cell that was put down in late 1849, who might have ties to the assassination of either Bern, Albrecht von Hohenzollern, or both.

fjy32.jpg

The drums of war were being beaten again; that Venice would dare for even one moment to interfere in purely German matters grated on the nerves of many Imperialists.

3kfs1.jpg

The question remained: how would the Alliance, UAI, and New Society take it?

No bonus images this time; I don’t think we need them.
[1] I fudged the original time line some, since if we really made the blasts hours apart, they’d either need teleporters or airplanes, which sadly do not exist in our timeline.
Yet.
[2] Specific movements suppressed were Swiss, Ragusans, Neapolitans, Byzantines, Dutch, Venetian, French, and Tuscans.
[3] I meant to click on the Swiss again, but hit Luxembourg by mistake. :D We still had enough to get the Swiss though. I just hope the AAR isn’t ended when Luxembourg breaks free and destroys us from within…
[4] I really wish the Great Powers would stop fighting with each other long enough to actually have a meaningful crisis. I didn’t back it because there were no available GPs to back the other side, except Transylvania, and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have, or it would have been a very short crisis.

Ministers can adjust proposals, as needed, new measures adopted, etc. I’m going to remove the restriction on Constitutional Amendments only being eligible in election years; I haven’t been very rigorous about enforcing it anyway.

Citizens!

Our economy has made great strides over the last year and it will continue to grow. New industrial techniques are being developed so we will no longer be mired in tragedy that claims the lives of innocent children. I see the future, and it is a future where laissez faire reigns supreme! Freedom of the purse will usher in a bold new era for mankind where any man can gain wealth and prestige if he desires it.

However, I am sad to say that not all freedoms seem imminent. Minorities continued to be oppressed by Germanization programs. I say to the German people, leave your brothers alone! Nothing can be gained by forcing German culture upon us. Let freedom of cultures prosper and the Republic shall be stronger!

I urge the Assembly not to overreact to this Venetian incident by further embroiling e citizens of the Republic in another foolish war. We have seen the disastrous results of the last war- thousands dead for no gain to the Republic. Do not make the same mistakes. Give diplomacy and peace a chance.

Carlo Brunelli, delivering a speech in Ravenna

((Hey, for once it isn't Michaelangelo constantly trying to resurrect dead Germany families! :D

(:)rofl:
I feel like you're begging me to bring back the Wittelsbachs with that comment. :p))

This is an outrage! The Pacifists have squandered our oppurtunity to add Hungary to our sphere of influence. All they have done now is to ensure an enemy on our Eastern flank, which will rise up against us at the earliest convenience - a moment which shall not come conveniently to us, I daresay.

Minister Bismarck, I call upon you to justify these mistakes and your future policies to the Assembly with post-haste.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

This is an outrage! The Pacifists have squandered our oppurtunity to add Hungary to our sphere of influence. All they have done now is to ensure an enemy on our Eastern flank, which will rise up against us at the earliest convenience - a moment which shall not come conveniently to us, I daresay.

Minister Bismarck, I call upon you to justify these mistakes and your future policies to the Assembly with post-haste.

Frankly, Herr Gotha, I was surprised myself when we refused to bring Hungary to our way, and we simply threw them to the Transylvanians. How odd, it struck me as such. My policies are diplomatic isolation of Germany's enemies and threats, we cannot afford a lengthy rivaly with another nation. That is the extent to which my policy is, but my Foreign Minister may feel otherwise.

- Bismarck

((Christian isn't Joachim's son, but his nephew; it's a large family of shipping magnates.))

Chancellor, Assemblymen, you must see now the German people themselves did not want to conquer Hungary. Ask yourselves now if they want war with Venice, or diplomacy?

I see the war-mongerers are fond of conjuring boogeymen.

Clearly the German people were tired of war and had no desire to see another nation trampled under the German boot.

(( Whoa :blink: Are we really making 600£ a day or does the game need a day to sort itself out?))

(( Whoa :blink: Are we really making 600£ a day or does the game need a day to sort itself out?))

((The figure is accurate. However, one of the things that changed is that I'm no longer manually buying up a stockpile of machine parts, cement, and steel, since we didn't need them this update. I have a sneaking suspicion we might next update...))

I also think this as peace is great for becoming stinky rich :)P)

((Uh... stinking rich is the idiom. Fertilizer isn't so profitable, so stinky rich doesn't make sense. :D))

EDIT: ((I'm going to give you guys until Monday to submit new proposals, adjustments to old ones, constitutional amendments, etc. After that, I'll just assume nothing changes it and I'll play Monday or Tuesday night.))

Last edited:
I propose this:

The Emergency Chancellor Amendment

If the Chancellor dies, becomes incapacitated, or resigns in office and is otherwise unable to fulfill his duties than the next most senior member from the Chancellor's party will become Chancellor

I see the war-mongerers are fond of conjuring boogeymen.

Clearly the German people were tired of war and had no desire to see another nation trampled under the German boot.

Oh you naive Pacifist, don't you see that the war was already won? Had you not opposed a more favourable peace treaty, we would have found ourselves in a more favourable diplomatic situation. That the Foreign Ministry has been influenced by you lot is... unfortunate at best.

We cannot even contemplate a war with Venice if all we are going to do upon victory is saying bad words to their Doge.

In a speech to the Conclave
War is evil, war means the economic downfall of Germany,War means widows and crime due to children who become orphans,War should be avoided at all costs.

Wilhelm von Habsburg

Would you then suggest we abandon our foreign programs altogether, Herr Von Habsburg? For that is what will happen, if Germany becomes the Pacifist centre of Europe, surrounded by French and Polish vultures who are not afraid to bring nations to their fold by force, and do so in far less a civilized and careful way than our General Staff. If you would see our diplomatic defences, which I have built up over the course of many years, crumbled, then please say so - but I will not refrain from calling you a spineless traitor to the German State!

- DDr. Gotha

Oh you naive Pacifist, don't you see that the war was already won? Had you not opposed a more favourable peace treaty, we would have found ourselves in a more favourable diplomatic situation. That the Foreign Ministry has been influenced by you lot is... unfortunate at best.

We cannot even contemplate a war with Venice if all we are going to do upon victory is saying bad words to their Doge.
It seems unlikely that I singlehandedly changed our foreign policy since I am the Minister of Education, not the Foreign Minister. But if it is true than I am glad, for it means more people have lifted the cloud of ignorance and seen the horrors of war.

In a letter to Herr Gotha
I am not calling for a abolition of the militairy altogether yet(Which is a long term goal of mine, along with peace in Europe), I sadly do have to give you the fact we need a defensive army.

Wilhelm von Habsburg

The fact that you are undoubtedly so ignorant of basic foreign policy makes me doubt if I should even bother to reply. Alas, I shall. Herr Habsburg, there is no such thing as a defensive military. The enemy at our gates will sense our weakness, prosper through our ineptitude to defend our buffer zone, and finally strike into the heart of our Heimat. We must maintain both our miltary as well as our buffer in order to maintain a hold on diplomacy. We have already allowed Hungary to become the breach in our buffer zone, and lest we wish to give up diplomacy altogether, we cannot afford to lose further influence.

To illustrate my point; do I need to remind you of the period of mismanagement which preceded my service as Assemblyman? We lost several German core territories due to exactly this sort of... cowardice.

While I do not necessarily disagree with Herr Gotha's words, I do believe, Herr Gotha, that you are letting this get the better of you. Patience and calmness can prove you right, but rashness and throwing insults every which way does not.

- Bismarck

I am excited to see the great ecenomic growth in the budget I will open up to any minister who wants it the excess income for the use of approapting materiles for infrastructure needed for their plans. Otherwise the ministry will countinue its current policy.

To illustrate my point; do I need to remind you of the period of mismanagement which preceded my service as Assemblyman? We lost several German core territories due to exactly this sort of... cowardice.

The good doctor seems rather willing to forget his own cowardice in rectifying that loss. I also find myself remembering no great opposition to a defensive military strategy when I proposed reform of that institution to the Conclave.
I see no need now or then to imitate the Polish method for reducing their enemies to the vassalage of the conquered; to make Hungary our puppet would be to mock the Transylvanians and rob them of their hopes and dreams. It is unwise to provoke dissent in one's proven allies and defeated foes alike, especially given the brutish villainies inflicted upon our colleagues as of late.

I would prefer an alteration to Brunelli's proposed amendment. The successor to the Chancellorship should be the free choice of his party rather than one defined by age, if only to provide continuity with the manner that the current occupant was chosen. Thus, I oppose the passage of the Emergency Chancellor Amendment.

The good doctor seems rather willing to forget his own cowardice in rectifying that loss. I also find myself remembering no great opposition to a defensive military strategy when I proposed reform of that institution to the Conclave.
I see no need now or then to imitate the Polish method for reducing their enemies to the vassalage of the conquered; to make Hungary our puppet would be to mock the Transylvanians and rob them of their hopes and dreams. It is unwise to provoke dissent in one's proven allies and defeated foes alike, especially given the brutish villainies inflicted upon our colleagues as of late.

I would prefer an alteration to Brunelli's proposed amendment. The successor to the Chancellorship should be the free choice of his party rather than one defined by age, if only to provide continuity with the manner that the current occupant was chosen. Thus, I oppose the passage of the Emergency Chancellor Amendment.

I think the seniority method would be best so we can have a rapid replacement instead of another protracted battle over who the Chancellor should be.

I am excited to see the great ecenomic growth in the budget I will open up to any minister who wants it the excess income for the use of approapting materiles for infrastructure needed for their plans. Otherwise the ministry will countinue its current policy.

I will gladly find a way to use our income to grow our economy.

FM