• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am still in favor of annexing the City of Rome and Plymouth.

I also have no military advice to the Army on how to take Rom. I am sure they have the capacity to do it themselves.

Signed,
Friedrich von Mannerheim
Heerfuhrer

My vote in favour of annexing Somerset and Latium remains the same. The fall of Rome will be a lesson to others not to trifle with the Empire and that there are consequences for taking up arms against our people.

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Imperialist, Conclave

Men of the Republic, we set out to bring the lands of Wales back into the Republic. We are not out here to bring more land to us but return lands lost. For this reason we need to sign the treaty as is and end the war.

((Avindian, can you put the 1839 save up so I can get some decent data? I might overshoot otherwise and accidentally guarantee Conservative victory.))

((EDIT: To expand, the situation has gone on the right-wing end of what my hand-off tests in '36 were predicting and it looks like it will be a close race without intervention. One election event in a high-pop area could tip the balance. Therefore, I'm not sure if an event to 'balance' the odds is called for now. I'll still work on it until I can test a '39 save.))

((DOUBLE EDIT: On the plus side, we can add some actual A-L ideological support without formally enabling the ideology.))

Last edited:
I've added the most recent save -- we didn't quite make it to 1839, after all.

Since the vast majority of you are completely ignoring the second thing I asked you to vote for, we'll just say voting begins 1 January 1840, finishes 1 July 1840, and we'll go from there. :)

By the way -- Assemblymen might want to speak up, if you want to annex Rome. It would pass the Conclave but go down in flames in the Assembly at present.

Stand together brave representatives of Germany the African warmongering has been defeated. Now we must also defeat the hideous idea of punishing the faithful brave people of the Papal States. I vote Against the annexation of Rome.

The Rome plan has been defeated, and I will end the war as soon as I load the game next. Just one more thing to do, and I will put another 48 hours on the clock, as it were:

We need to decide if party platforms are changing, or not. I will extend the deadline as needed. (Of course, if you want to choose your Chancellor candidates too, I wouldn't say no, but that might take longer than 48 hours.)

Our favorite simian sent along an excellent election event, so we should see a much more competitive election.

The clock starts now -- it ends Saturday at 8 PM (+4 GMT).

I propose that, now this blasphemous plan to take Rome is defeated, the Alliance should acknowledge the rightness of the teachings of Holy Mother Church, and - as the New Society and the Imperialists already do - pledge to actively promote Catholicism over the heretical beliefs which seduce men from God.

Of course, I favour this position myself because it is morally right; to permit heresy to spread damns souls forever. Popular or unpopular, we should spread the truth because it is the truth, because it will save our children from the eternal fires.

However, I recognise that in politics some of one's fellow travellers may have an eye on more secular matters; it seems sensible, then, to remind them that the overwhelming majority of the Republic's population already follow the teachings of the Church because of the firm religious policy of the Hohenzollerns, and that hence, by happy coincidence, this would be a popular decision as well as a righteous one.

((In game terms, I propose the Alliance moves to Moralism.))

I will not be putting myself forward as a candidate for Chancellor unless no other prominent member of the Alliance does.

Having communicated with my fellow party members, it is almost certain that the Imperialists will not change our platform. We are, after all, in favor of stability and tradition.

(( Four of nine wish no changes, I haven't heard back from five. ))

Thus far, DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha has volunteered to run for chancellor, and none others have come forth.

- Paul Meier, Stadtholder of Innsbruck

The current Imperialist platform will guide our nation to prosperity, and I will gladly run on said platform. While Protectionism and State Capitalism will allow us to guide the economy in the most literal sense of the word, Moralism and Residency will ensure that we, as a God-fearing people, maintain the values of Christianity. This includes our wish for an Emperor, ordained by God.

Jingoism will be especially vital for Germany, considering this government's failures. We find ourselves without major allies, in the midst of other great powers, so the military is all we can rely on to keep safe our people - and in doing so, we should take the initiative and pursue aggressive, pre-emptive foreign policy. We should head to the colonies as well, aided by an expanded navy; which, in turn, could be financed by means of colonial trade. All it takes is one brave government now to take the first steps, and future generations will reap the benefits.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

8 PM is come and gone -- there will be no parties changing positions for the 1840 election. (Damerell, I need more than just you saying you want to change the platform.)

I'm going to play now, and barring anything important stopping us (if the GPs would stop fighting amongst themselves, we'd probably get a crisis or two), I should have an update in an hour or two.

What I'll do is stop the update on a cliffhanger, not revealing the election results, to give you time to choose your Chancellor candidates (I do have Gotha confirmed as candidate for the Imperialists). Then, once I have those, I reveal the results, reshuffle the electoral results, and then it's decisions/amendments time.

((To other members of the New Society: are we actually organising anything in terms of candidates?))

1839-July 1840: Triumph and Tragedy

As 1838 drew to a close, most Germans were optimistic about their country’s future. The British put up resistance for two more weeks after the landmark vote to secure only Plymouth and its environs, but in the end capitulated.

4i0o.jpg

With a certain amount of trepidation, Foreign Minister Defarge received the newest proposal from the British delegation: to cede Plymouth, the province, once and forever, in exchange for having their other provinces restored. Since he had all the authority he needed to negotiate on his own, or so Chancellor Picard had explained to him, he wisely chose to keep the extra provinces, if for no other reason than to perhaps gain concessions from the British later on. [1]

ov3u.jpg

February provided a bit of unlikely news, as a discovery of some ancient Roman artifacts in somebody’s trunk in the Byzantine Empire launched Byzantine prestige into the stratosphere. German citizens simply laughed dismissively at something so absurd, but for the moment, German attempts to draw the Byzantines closer were foiled. [2]

i07l.jpg

Yet all of that polite laughter ended quite suddenly with the outbreak of cholera in Bregenz in March 1839. Augsburg felt the cold grip of the disease a few weeks later, and with the people of Germany reeling, an international crisis in Kashmir went by unnoticed. [3]

zfb0.jpg

abo2.jpg

At the same time, Michael von Hohenzollern found his own position in the Foreign Ministry’s hierarchy strengthened as Canada was recognized among the Great Powers of the world. Of course, his heart was still properly at home, as cholera continued to ravage Germany, spreading to Bozen, Chur, and Salzburg. The disease inflamed political opinion throughout the Republic of Germany, and a new era in Ideological Thought began in October of 1839.

The election proceedings began, as dictated by German law, in January 1840. On the heels of the opening of the polls, Europe was rocked with the revolution in Castille, where the Carlists seized power and promised to reforge Spain in the Iberian Peninsula.

w1n5x.jpg

The report that a notorious criminal was arrested in Jylland gave the German people a moment to catch their breath and recuperate from the horrors of cholera, which seemed to be all but dissipated.

40sd.jpg

Unfortunately, less than three weeks after the criminal’s arrest, the capital of the Republic got hit with cholera. Katherine von Hohenzollern, the youngest child of Konrad von Hohenzollern, was one of its first victims – Konrad himself was one of its last. Friedrich von Hohenzollern, the new Stadtholder of Nürnberg, took his father’s place in a daze.

Brittany was the next country to join the Reactionary Revolution; a number of politicians were concerned it might move on to France next.

lpnu.jpg

Klagenfurt was the next to feel the icy grip of cholera. As if that weren’t bad enough, a virulent form of flu attacked those few citizens untouched by cholera. Things were so bad that extremely risky ventures to uncharted tropical islands were underwritten by the government in an effort to find some sort of medicinal breakthrough.

6z05.jpg

With Chancellor Picard’s earlier announcement not to seek reelection, the field of 1840 was wide open. Who would win the Chancellery and guide Germany out of the horrifying plagues?

[1] I completely forgot about this event in NNM; I should have remembered it and included it in the vote. We can always change things later, if needed. I should note that it’s almost always better to have the whole state, even if it means the Brits will have a CB on us.

[2] I honestly don’t know where the Byzantines got 300 prestige.

[3] I could have stopped the AAR here to ask about what to do, but I know the system, and with no actual GPs in Asia at this point, it would have fizzled had we supported it or not.

I didn’t expect to Ideological Thought to be finished so quickly, but we’ve been banking the RPs, so we haven’t lost anything.

Okay, at this point, we need candidates for Chancellor. The only confirmed candidate is Gen. Marshall for the Imperialists. Once I have all the candidates, I’ll post the election results and a bunch of general information. If there’s something in particular you want to see in that update, please let me know.

I wish to stand as the Conservative candidate.

- Friedrich von Mannerheim

I will be the UAI Chancellor Candidate.

-Maximillian Unger

((I know varetta proposed you, but apart from the two of you, do you have any support?))

In order that we see a semblance of democracy in our party, I too shall stand as the New Society's candidate.

Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach
Stadtholder of Cassel​

((Yeah. We have our own political party group so we can discuss things in this aar. Want me to add you avindian?))