• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( Die Wacht am Rhein - Nein

Alsace-Lorraine - Nein

Coalitions - Nein (I do not like anti-natural alliances, mainly because we go already enough slow as for making it even slower)

Party Balance - Abstain

I am also will to take any position that would be offered to my party, being this Education or Finance (especially this last one) ))

((I'm out too. I don't understand how I can win the election by most votes then not win when we have not voted on coalitions yet. Not really sure what that's about.))

((I'm out too. I don't understand how I can win the election by most votes then not win when we have not voted on coalitions yet. Not really sure what that's about.))

It's your choice to participate or not. That said, nobody raised the issue of coalitions before, which is why I did it now. (You are free to argue that I should have thought of it before, of course.) This decision was not directed at you, personally, or anyone else involved in the AAR.

European politics require a party to be able to control a majority of seats in order to win. I know US politics isn't like that, but that's because we have a two party system and first past the post.

With roughly 10 hours to go, the polls stands as follows (with EH's decision to leave, and remembering to move jeeshadow to the Conclave):

Current poll (based on % of active voters, as already explained, not % of total votes):
Die Wacht Am Rhein passes narrowly in the Assembly (255 to 245) and easily in the Conclave (59 in favor, 27 against, 14 abstain).
Alsace-Loraine passes in the Assembly (255 in favor, 205 against, 40 abstaining) and passes in the Conclave (72 in favor, 27 against, 1 abstain).
We have 9 yes, 2 no for Coalitions and 8 yes, 1 no, 2 abstentions for Party Balance. Unless a whole bunch of votes come through in the next few hours, they'll both pass easily.

Last edited:
Voting is closed, and everything passes!

That means it's DensleyBlair's turn to give his first address as Chancellor and name his Ministers. By the new Party Balance rules, the UAI and New Society are guaranteed one position in the Assembly and one in the Conclave; other than that, it's his choice. As soon as he does so, ministers can start presenting plans.

I won't have to leave after all. Was leaving because of work and school reasons. No longer have to. Work changed its policies.

I won't have to leave after all. Was leaving because of work and school reasons. No longer have to. Work changed its policies.

Good news! I've readded you to the list and have adjusted voting patterns. (I did some hardcore reimagining of my spreadsheet over the weekend and this is now comparatively simple.)

FYI: DensleyBlair has informed me he has all but finished his cabinet, and is waiting for responses from two individuals. You may certainly post your introductory speech, if you like, in the meantime, DB.

Inaugural Address

by Dr. Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach
12th January, 1840

Friends, foes, honoured gentlemen,

Four years after what I will freely admit was a disastrous campaign for leadership on my part, I can finally and proudly say that Germany and her people have warmed to what I espouse. In the past, I have been derided as a soft philosopher – wholly unsuited to the governance of a great nation such as ours. Now, I am a pragmatist – a figure seeking to conserve the balance of power in Europe and create a safe environment in which our nation can thrive. Before, I did not suit a nation hell-bent on proving herself in, frankly, reckless and aggressive ways. Now, I – supposedly – suit a nation calming after a mad frenzy of nationalism and jingoism.

In some ways, I feel vindicated – having triumphed after such a dismal failure that saw me forced to be content with political obscurity. Indeed, I was content for the most part to go about my provincial business. I did not contest this position out of any desire for power or glory or self-aggrandisement, but rather out of a sincere belief that I can lead Germany into a safer and more prosperous state than that in which I inherited guardianship of her. I find it fitting that I should be almost a guardian of state – Wächter means guard, after all.

To that end, I shall now address some aspects I wish to investigate during my term. Foreign policy will be important, as Germany seeks to settle into her place as a great power within Europe. It is true that we command great power, yet we should not abuse this. The balance of power must be conserved as much as is possible, and we should not seek to disturb this through unnecessary wars. A détente with the British is paramount.

At home, we face similar difficulties. Disease plagues our land and we must act to stop this. I hope to see advances in science and technology that will help to this end, and, though such things are ultimately out of my control, I promise now that I will divert any influence I may have in this field to ensure that suffering is reduced.

I am certainly not a young candidate – indeed, I am 62 years of age – yet I like to think that the vision I provide is modern. I do not believe that a conservative must seek endless conservation of existing ideas, and am indeed very much open to progress in many fields, as I have mentioned already. What I believe in is a conservation of a common good and the protection of such a state from malignant influences. My colleague, the respected Dr. Gotha has written previously of a Wächterpolitik. He spoke of a need to ensure that Germany guards her interests in Europe and the wider world. Today, I wish to offer an alternate idea set to fit this term. Wächterpolitik should symbolise guarding the common good via pragmatism – both in internal and external affairs. We must guard against destabilising factors and antagonism not by oppression and military might, but by promoting a state in which such destabilisation need not exist.

This is my message. Pragmatism, unity and utilitarianism. This is Wächterpolitik.

My cabinet will be announced in the coming days.

Last edited:
The Wächtersbach Ministry
1840-1844

Key:
New Society
UAI
Imperialists

Chancellor: Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach
(DensleyBlair)

Foreign Minister: Alex von Bern
(Some Georgian)
Minister of the Interior: Hugo von Sigmaringen
(SirkTheMonkey)
Minister of War: Friedrich von Hohenzollern
(Jeeshadow)
Minister of Finance: Josef Hermann de Spinoza
(GreatÜberGeek)
Minister of Education: Maximilian Unger
(EtzelHoveri)
President of the State Planning Commission: Paul Meier
(Idrendhur)

Changes

Jérôme Defarge replaced Friedrich von Hohenzollern as Minister of War in 1840.

Last edited:
You gentlemen may now submit your proposals at your convenience. ((DB, for everyone's convenience, could you edit your above post to include forum nicks as well?))

As a reminder, please only comment on proposals which are appropriate to your particular house.

... I had been enjoying the peace and quiet away from the Parliament after a flare up of my health issues last year. I'd no sooner gotten a clean bill of health from the doctors than I received a summons from the new Chancellor inviting me to the Cabinet. Who am I to deny the German Chancellor? As Minister of the Interior I will seek to continue the doctrines laid down by Minister von Altmark so that we may have continuity within government. I did not agree with them before their implementation but I believe that they deserve at least another few years to see their full effects. ...

H. von Sigmaringen, New Society Assemblyman & Minister for the Interior
An excerpt from his first speech to the Assembly since his return.

((Sorry for the lack of participation recently. No excuses or reasons this time apart from apathy.))

((Hey, given the help you gave with the whole political issue, you're entitled to a break. :)))

Unfortunately Herr Meier is away on business, so he has requested that a fellow member of the Imperialist Party present his plan as President of the State Planning Commission.

Fellow countrymen,

German industry is the greatest in the world. But the potential is there for it to be so much more. We have the means of producing great amounts of goods, enriching and strengthening our nation. As Head of the State Planning Commission, I aim to ensure the basics of industry are well established, giving room for future growth. Once we are producing sufficient amounts of industrial goods, I will ensure our military can be well supplied.

Herr Meier, Stadtholder of Innsbruck

I can do nothing but express my most sincere hope that this government is more palatable in is actions than last one. If Herr von Wächtersbach follows his own definition of Wächterpolitik, then Germany should indeed find itself able to recover from the loss of a potential ally.

- DDr. W.S. Gotha
Former ambassador to Britain

How fitting that it is called Wächterpolitik, and Wächterbasch is our chancellor.
I thank him for my continuing ministry, and apologize for my absence during our important decisions lately. I was busy arranging family affairs in the Caribbean.
Finance Minister J.H. de Spinoza

Reaction and Acceptance Speech on June 4, 1840 addressed to the UAI

"The election has failed to keep the UAI in power. Chancellor Picard was an effective leader who saw Germany's economy grow, its schools begin to be reformed, and in his final year as Chancellor the return of Somerset back to the Republic. For some reason he had decided to not stay on for a second term but instead return to his home in Brussels as Stadtholder.

Though I had been put forward as our candidate for Chancellor in this more recent election, I was not able to achieve this vaulted position. We men of the UAI still hold onto the highest majority of men in the Upper House, but the coalition of the New Society and Imperialist have put Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach as our new Chancellor.

Myself and Chancellor Wachtersbach have agreed on many issues in the past, such as the Citizenship Act, and have disagreed, most specifically over the issue of the power of the Chancellor in declaring war, but it seems we both respect each other. Chancellor Wachtersbach has decided to offer me to stay on as Minister of Education for his term. And I am gracious to accept. Though it was a hard fought campaign between the two of us, there is no hard feelings and I will do what I can to see that Germany continues to advance. Bringing jobs, better education, and wealth to the people of this great Republic."

-Maximillian Unger

Plans for the Future on June 6, 1840 addressed to the 1840 Governing body of the Republic

"As you all know Chancellor Wachtersbach has decided to keep me on as Minister of Education for his term. These past four years we have seen many school reforms and our citizens have advanced because of it. Over these four years I have taken an ever increasing amount of work on myself in regards to our citizens education. This has been taking a hard strain on my body and I am already not a young man. For that reason I have decided to take on an assistant, Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling[sub]1[/sub](Idealism). He will take over the role of Chancellor of the Republic's Education. Herr Schelling will report directly to me, but this will take off a great amount of strain from myself.

This will allow me to put more focus on something my nephew has been wanting to discuss with me. Being the Minister of Education he says should mean more then just the children but all facets of learning. Among which is the War College itself. He is currently devising a new form of musket to be used on the battlefields(Muzzle Loaded Rifles). Though he has a point, I will first focus on ensuring that Herr Schelling feels comfortable in his new position before focusing on anything else."

-Maximillian Unger, Minister of Education

(([1]- Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling was a famous Idealist of Germany at the time of this AAR.

At the end of 1842-3, if you are in need of another tech I will be happy to supply it at that time.))

Last edited:
((Michelangelo/Idhrendur -- that's a rather generic statement for industry. I'd ideally like specific factories with specific locations; failing that, even a few specifics would be helpful.))

((Michelangelo/Idhrendur -- that's a rather generic statement for industry. I'd ideally like specific factories with specific locations; failing that, even a few specifics would be helpful.))

(( Will do. I wanted to have some kind of statement ready in advance, and I'll be digging into the details shortly. Have you uploaded the latest save anywhere, or should I ask for reports from the bureaucrats instead of digging into the details myself? ))