• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am frankly appalled that Dr. Fellman is trying to push through his political agenda over the back of an abducted young child. Shame on him and any who feel that this is not a matter for the government to address.

For the martial law.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

((I also highly doubt that any Hohenzollern would oppose this martial law, even if they are Avindianesque fake Hohenzollerns.))

Thank you all for your sympathy, and I personally pledge £10 million of my family's fortune for the relief fund proposed by Stadtholder Brunelli, as it is a truly worthy cause.

((£10 million in the 1850s! How rich are the Hohenzollerns exactly?))

I vote Nay to a declaration of martial law. While the kidnapping of a child is a tragedy, I so not believe we should effectively shut down the functions of state just because the child is a member of our ex-royal family. We cannot afford to hamper any ministries or the free market when there is a devastating famine occurring in Bavaria.

Yay on the Food Security Act. While I am somewhat afraid that the new regulations would hamper the market and I detest extra taxation, it is clear that our government needs to be better prepared for future food shortages.

I am not sure what to make of the Spanish situation. Once one hand, the unification of Spain may give us a strong ally and promote peace on the continent. On the other hand, Castille has shown herself to be a belligerent state bent on war at every turn. Strengthening her could lead to more violence.

-Carlo Brunelli

Last edited:
Yea on the unification of Spain.

Tell me tell me all of you just one thing. Why do we obsess about the kidnappings of one boy so much simply because he has a prominent last name. You all clamor because we say that he could generate claims. So what? We have no royals therefore why do we obsess over the kidnapping of a single person no matter how terrible it may be? We do it because we have a bogeyman in a hastily written note suggesting that the boy could give enemies claims on us. I ask what claims could there possibly be? We are not a monarchy. There is no throne to claim. We need to all step back and take a perspective on what has happened and calm down. Yes it is terrible that a young boy has been kidnapped but no it is not a national crisis.

It is true that we are a republic and no longer possess a monarchy, but that does not mean that the Hohenzollern name cannot be used against us. Enemy states could use Ferdinand as an excuse to declare war and attempt to make him a puppet ruler of Germany, simply because his family ruled Germany before the republic was founded. Just because there is no longer a throne to claim does not mean someone won't try to recreate it by force. While I admit that I would love to see a Hohenzollern rule Germany once more, I would never want it if it cost Germany its freedom and made it a puppet to another state. That is why Ferdinand must be found. If you can suggest a method of rescuing the child before he is used against us, then by all means put it before the Reichstag. For now we must act quickly before it is too late.

Yes to the unification of Spain, otherwise all our efforts with Castile will have been for nought.

Nay for the martial law, and yay for the Food Security Act.

~Konrad von Schwaben

Nay for martial law, yay to the Security Food act, and Yea on the unification of Spain.

As disgusted as I am by our supposed ally's conduct, I feel that the willingness to await diplomatic support before unification speaks of a government willing to hold to it's word in the future. I support the unification of Spain.

I see no reason to view martial law in this instance as anything other than a witch-hunt in nascent form and thus I am against it.

I support the Security Food Act.

I give my tentative assent to the declaration of martial law. It displeases me to remove our freedoms, but as has been said, a Hohenzollern in the wrong hands is too potent a tool to be used against our nation. I also support the food security act.

FM

(( Considering an early update mentioned a Hohenzollern working closely with Paul Meier to nab up strategic contracts…they're gonna be rather rich. Maybe not oil baron rich, but still. ))

Support for Castile-Granada Unification - Si

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

((I think I'll join this. I just need to read a couple of the recent updates and such, and then I'll actually create a character.))

((I also highly doubt that any Hohenzollern would oppose this martial law, even if they are Avindianesque fake Hohenzollerns.))

((I'll let that one slide, since you are clearly distraught over the boy's disappearance. ;) Fake Hohenzollerns?!

The real reason I abstained was to remind everyone -- especially Dadarian -- that a state of Martial Law requires a vote from the Conclave, he can't just impose one unilaterally.))

((I think Michael abstained because he actually wants the boy to be dead, he is the worst threat to his own power and his heir, Konrad Friedrich))

((Nah, I'd put a hit out on him if I wanted him dead. World's a dangerous place for a soon to be seven year old. ;)))

(( Considering an early update mentioned a Hohenzollern working closely with Paul Meier to nab up strategic contracts…they're gonna be rather rich. Maybe not oil baron rich, but still. ))

((Fritz has a piece of every railroad that's ever been built, at the very least. The Hohenzollerns may have been nearly bankrupt at the end of the last AAR, but we know how to make money. :cool:))

((I think I'll join this. I just need to read a couple of the recent updates and such, and then I'll actually create a character.))

((The more the merrier!))

I vote nay on martial law as this just a stunt and should be treated as such.
Yay in food security act as our people Need an amount of food that people can survive.
And finnally yea on the unification of the Iberian penusiula so that we may have a strong ally incase of futre attack

So, I was asking myself, "Why are people still voting? I already closed voting!" Then I realized, "you never clicked post reply, dummy..." :blush:

Martial law fails. 17 votes in favor, 72 against, 11 abstaining. The other two laws pass -- Food Security Act is unanimously approved (not counting abstentions, since I was too lazy to keep track of who did or didn't vote for that one), while the unification law is 454 votes in favor, 46 abstaining (since Andre Massena's post was very unclear). Other ministers may post their proposals as well. Brothersid, how specifically do you want the Food Security Act to be implemented? Basically allow for any member of the Conclave to call for a 1-3% temporary tax hike when food supplies are limited?

((Nah, I'd put a hit out on him if I wanted him dead. World's a dangerous place for a soon to be seven year old. ;)))

(( Someone's been playing some CK2. ))

((Fritz has a piece of every railroad that's ever been built, at the very least. The Hohenzollerns may have been nearly bankrupt at the end of the last AAR, but we know how to make money. :cool:))

((Even so, if one takes British values to be comparable, then that's still a donation of well over £400 million!))

((I thought the Spanish vote was Assembly only))

((It is. I keep thinking you're in the Assembly. Of course, if a certain someone who is in the Alliance, is in the Assembly and does post in the thread would vote from time to time...))

(( Someone's been playing some CK2. ))

((I am far too classy to plug my new AAR. I won't even tell people the link is in my signature. I am above that.))

((Even so, if one takes British values to be comparable, then that's still a donation of well over £400 million!))

((I'd ask Idhrendur, but isn't it a 1:1 correspondence between ducats and £?))