• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[((]And the fifth and final is for Avindian. What do you think of the creation of a new position as Minister of Commerce? He would be at control of the commerce window. It would also allow more human players in the government and an odd cabinet in case the Chancellor wants a decision vote over something from the Cabinet. If you like the idea, could it be done since this government or only the next?
((Do you mean the Production screens? [EDIT]Or the Trade screen?[/EDIT]))

((EDIT -
The converter is available here. I can put up the save, if people want it, but you'd have to have everything exactly the same for it to work.
I'll be honest -- the first election result of a converter game is always weird because there's really no way to lift POP issues from a EU3 save; if we ever see a party get 50% in the Assembly again, I'd be shocked.
I'm not ZebraMinge but I was hoping for the save plus either a zipped up version of the mod or whatever files are needed to change NNM so it can open the save. Personally though I'd be happy with just the save.))

Last edited:
((Do you mean the Production screens? [EDIT]Or the Trade screen?[/EDIT]))

((It could be, I am not sure (as I said it is not my best day). I mean to the one where you can move sliders of each product to reserve them and similar))

Last edited:
((If it's open to New Society, I'd like to be Chief of the Army.))

((I would like to become Chief of Generals Staff if you don't mind letting an Imperialist become Chief of Generals Staff))

((I throw my hat in for UAI Chief of the Army))

((That's a tough post to pull off without real-time data. Time frame makes no difference as of now.))

((I would like to be the Minister of Finance, please. ))

((Can I encourage people, where convenient, to put their characters' names and party affiliations into signatures? It'll help us all get up to speed.
... oh, swift and terrible irony, forgot to save my own signature.))

((In the same way, I would like to encourage people to finish their characters backgrounds (dodedo, jeeshadow & ZebraMinge) and add pictures to them. I find it more funny to remember characters by their portraits than by names :eek:o

By other way, no one wants to be Chief of the Navy? We will need naval operations for sure in the near future...))

((In the same way, I would like to encourage people to finish their characters backgrounds (dodedo, jeeshadow & ZebraMinge) and add pictures to them. I find it more funny to remember characters by their portraits than by names :eek:o

By other way, no one wants to be Chief of the Navy? We will need naval operations for sure in the near future...))
((I don't think Jee and ZebraMinge can do character background because they are borrowing Avindian's characters. And I don't do pictures because I try to avoid locking down a character's appearance.))

On behalf of the Alliance, I offer formal congratulations to our new Chancellor on his victory. I pray that Almighty God will guide his decisions wisely.

I must, however, express some disappointment at the decision to exclude what he rightly describes as the "natural allies" of the UAI from the new Cabinet. I fear that he will find that the New Society are not so well aligned with his own objectives as he might like. It is true that the Alliance is opposed to war, but what of it? The UAI also do not seek further conquests; will the Chancellor's mind sit easily with a Minister of War who has every interest in provoking our neighbours? The decision is not yet final, and there are men in the Alliance with military experience; men who, like me, are opposed to war because they know what war brings.

I would also urge the Chancellor to lay the Heligoland Question before the Assembly, to make Germany's commitment to peace as clear as it can be given the rhetoric from the other side of the House.

Nurenmberg, Republic of Germany - 2nd January 1836
Joint Session of the Assembly & the Conclave of Statdholder

"Dear & very honorable gentlemen,

I am here, in this very honorable institution, to accept the will of the German people and become the next Chancellor of the Republic of Germany.

At these moments I feel as if the great characters of the German history were looking at me and that makes me feel small and humble. But at the same time, I feel the support of the German people and the weight of their hopes and dreams and that makes me feel stronger than ever I have been.

During the last months we have looked divided and weak to the outside world. We have been arguing about what kind of Germany we wanted and finally the ballots have spoken. And they have said that they want a strong Republic, they want a prosperous Republic and over all, they want an united and respected Republic.

I did many promises during my campaign and it is my will to respect each one of them. And the first and more important is to unite this country again. I have started informal conversations with the other parties to form a great government coalition that will lead this country during the next years. In a few days, I will come back to this honorable place to make you be part of the names of the persons that will composed that cabinet.

It is my intention to focus my government in improve the welfare of every German citizen and to this purpose I will ask the future ministers of Finance, Education and Interior to design a plan to increase the industrial production of the Republic to levels we have never reached before through a program of liberalization & free market.

But before we start trading with the world, it is important to let clear to that world who is at command. To that purpose, I will instruct the Minister of War to form a High Command of the Army & the Navy that will review the state of our armed forces and will plan the future operations for recover the stolen German lands and punish those who, for a moment of madness, thought that could stab us in the back and get away with it. Those pirates, those sons of the devil, will soon know the taste of German plumber.

I will also ask the Foreign Minister to support these defense policies looking for allies that help us and assure our other borders. It is also my intention that the Foreign Service help other areas of this government in the search for new markets for our products, like the Americas or the Far East.

And now, assemblymen and stadtholders, I beg you to raise up and sing with me our anthem... "

Last edited:
On second thought, I would announce my candidacy for Minister of the Navy. With the ports of Kiel being my home, I believe I am well experienced in matters of the Navy.
Josef de Spinoza, Stadholder of Kiel

On behalf of the Alliance, I offer formal congratulations to our new Chancellor on his victory. I pray that Almighty God will guide his decisions wisely.

I must, however, express some disappointment at the decision to exclude what he rightly describes as the "natural allies" of the UAI from the new Cabinet. I fear that he will find that the New Society are not so well aligned with his own objectives as he might like. It is true that the Alliance is opposed to war, but what of it? The UAI also do not seek further conquests; will the Chancellor's mind sit easily with a Minister of War who has every interest in provoking our neighbours? The decision is not yet final, and there are men in the Alliance with military experience; men who, like me, are opposed to war because they know what war brings.

I would also urge the Chancellor to lay the Heligoland Question before the Assembly, to make Germany's commitment to peace as clear as it can be given the rhetoric from the other side of the House.

(Extracts from a private letter from Miguel de la Rosa to Joachim Peymann)

Dear and very honorable Joachim,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your support and you good wishes in my future leadership.

I also want to offer you an explanation of why I have done what I have done in the design of this my new government, hoping that this can help to calm the waters that the real politik have muddied.

You know as well as any other that I represent the most militant faction of the UAI. Some of my partners in the party have gone so far as to say that I am a hawk in a pidgeon´s party. And I am afraid they are right. It is my intention, as you well know, to enter in war conflict in the next years with the UK and I know very well of the aversion that many in your party, included you, feel for war. I cannot say that I do not share such opinion, especially when they come from such an ilustrious veteran as yourself, but it is also truth that, in the scope of nations, respect is as important as strength. The last actions of your party, and especially of Mr Simeon Asch, have placed the Republic in a weakness position that I consider my obligation to repair.

It was my intention to place one of your member at the from of the Minister of Finance, because as you know our opinions are very similar in this field; but I am embarrased to admit that one of my personal clerks misunderstood the Constitution, and your party results in the last election to the Conclave avoid me of taking such a decision.

I hope that to be the first one out of my party to know of my intention to propose a constitutional amendment to allow any citizen of the Republic, independently of where he was born, to become Chancellor if that is the will of the people will help to heal the injures that my decisions can have caused.

I am also very will to support your proposition about the lands of Heligoland and I propose you that, once the proposition has been passed as I am sure it will be, we both travel together to there and rise together the biggest flag of our Republic never done.

With my best wishes and waiting for your answer,
Miguel de la Rosa Picard, Chancellor of the Republic of Germany

((As I stated in this letter, it was my initial plan to give the Minister of Finance to the Alliance, but given the real situation I had to re do my plans.

In my opinion the best solution would be to give the Minister of War to a member of the Alliance but given that I initially said that it would go for the New Society, I will respect that. It has been my fault and I am sorry for the mistake.

Avindian: Could you include a map of the Balkans in the prologue? It is quite hard to difference who is who in that zone, with the exception of Serbia.
And one question, has the situation of Great Powers or alliance changed in this months from what appears in the images? Thank you))

Last edited:
The Guardian Address
Die Schützenrede

German brothers,

Our Fatherland is not unlike an oak, the most majestic and ancient of trees, extending its many branches far and wide. The German oak towers above the fields of Europe, and over 19 million people have their homes, their families, their land under the protection of our branches. Our roots reach from the Mediterranean to the North Sea. Seven more nations cling on to the furthest reach of our might: Astrakhan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Krakow, Morea, Ragusa and Siebenbürgen are firmly in our sphere. It is fair to say that Germany is the dominant nation of Europe.

With power comes responsibility. The British, the French, the Polish, the Norwegians, they all seek to grab their own piece of the European and international pie. During my many years as ambassador to Britain, I learned that they could not tolerate any other colonial power, that the French and Scandinavians aspire to be Emperors, that the Polish want to establish a European buffer at the cost of our Republic. As the dominant nation of Europe, Germany must stand above such matters. It must pursue a Wächterpolitik, guarding the European balance of power from undue influence. Let the French rule France, and the Norwegians rule Scandinavia. Let Britain and Poland keep their colonies. This forms no threat to the balance of power. But should one nation encroach on the sphere of influence of another, thereby disrupting the balance of power and bringing the entire civilized world at danger, then Germany should act. We should act as protectors… This is Wächterpolitik.

I believe in the strength of Germany, and as such one might expect me to propagate a devastating war over Somerset. I will not do so, for I am not a warmonger. Let me point out that Somerset was a German colony - in Europe. Civilized powers frown on this, and rightfully so! Let me also point out that our failure at Somerset, which is not a German majority province, is due to our own past mistakes. Mistakes that have been made, mistakes that can’t be rectified, mistakes on which the British have already capitalized. It is too late to do anything but banish the Stadtholder, but we can take this opportunity and say to the world: “This far, but no further.” We need to take a firm stance against further foreign annexation of our possessions, not in order to solve issues like the Somerset Question, but to prevent them from ever happening.

Of course, the successful execution of Wächterpolitik requires our own situation to be stable, our rights determined and absolute, our government steadfast. We must be able to stand firm in the face of foreign aggression; only then can we take the role of guardian. Whilst Germany is not entitled to a British-majority Somerset, the very same logic applies to the British, French, Norwegian, Polish nations. We cannot allow a German or Italian people to remain under foreign oppression; Heligoland must be liberated! The Lord may know why we ever ceded this small, German island to the British, but one thing is certain: One way or another, sooner or later, Heligoland must be reincorporated. Vital is that our Foreign Minister is capable, reasonable on one hand and steadfast on the other. If the British would be willing to sell the island, that could prove the beginning of a prosperous cooperation between our two nations. Should they not be willing, then we shall take up arms. Not for wealth and the Somerset colony, not for the shipping lobby or the Liberal’s pride, but to defend the German people from foreign tyranny.

It is winter now, and our Fatherland has lost its colourful leaves. Yet, like always, winter will not kill the oak, and enduring its hardships will only serve to grant another growth ring. Spring will come, and when it does, we will stand taller than ever, knowing that we fought off the very worst nature had to offer. United under an Emperor, the world will once again tremble and yield to our might. Maintaining a policy of Wächterpolitik, we will show that Germany is a united nation, a guardian of all European peoples’ liberty. We will demonstrate that through wars and revolutions, long after the demise of great Empires and Republics, as Europe changes irreversibly, one thing will remain to be: Germany will forever stand with pride.

Für Deutschland. Für den Kaiser.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

Last edited:
Report -- The Balkans and Europe

Members of the Assembly and Honored Stadtholders,

I have the honor to present before you an assessment of the Balkans and the present diplomatic situation.

wgy5.jpg

The dominant power in the Balkans remains the Byzantine Empire, in as much as anybody as dominant. They control Constantinople and a few pieces of Greece. Morea, Epirus, Romania, and Montenegro share control over the remainder of Greece. Farther to the north, Bulgaria and Wallachia contest the Danube River Valley while Bosnia-Herzegovina has scattered possessions throughout the region.

The dominant powers in the world at large remain much the same, although with some shifts in position.

g7wl.jpg

Furthermore, our embassies report the formation of three alliances between the so-called Great Powers. Of course, there is our own treaty with Pomerania, signed by the Alliance in one of their attempts to "prove" the peaceful nature of our relations with the rest of the world. The Asian powers Ak Konlyu and Syria have a concordat of their own. The final alliance is between the British Empire and Grenada. France and Canada remain aloof from the rest of the world.

There is one more piece of news: two new wars, so far purely regional in nature, have broken out in Europe.

d84y.jpg

France is facing a Coalition of Poland, Brittany, Athens, and Castille, as France attempts to reclaim some of the lands which once belonged to her. Meanwhile, Alencon, recognizng the weak position of Castille, has engaged in a separate war.

I am, as always, at your service, should you have further needs. I serve the Republic!

Third Deputy Secretary Ritter

((The Germany-Pomerania alliance occurred because, when the game is initially converted, there is no "player" country.))

Dear my fellow Stadtholders, and honourable Assemblyen,

I come to you today to address a few issues raised by Herr Siegfred Gotha. While I have no doubt or concern about his ability in his current position, he seems to have rather strange ideas about how we should run our Republic, that I respectfully disagree with. While it sounds admirable in theory, I fear that there are many flaws in his policy of Wächterpolitik that will become clear when it is put into practice.

Our Fatherland is not unlike an oak, the most majestic and ancient of trees, extending its many branches far and wide. The German oak towers above the fields of Europe, and over 19 million people have their homes, their families, their land under the protection of our branches. Our roots reach from the Mediterranean to the North Sea. Seven more nations cling on to the furthest reach of our might: Astrakhan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Krakow, Morea, Ragusa and Siebenbürgen are firmly in our sphere. It is fair to say that Germany is the dominant nation of Europe.

With power comes responsibility. The British, the French, the Polish, the Norwegians, they all seek to grab their own piece of the European and international pie. During my many years as ambassador to Britain, I learned that they could not tolerate any other colonial power, that the French and Scandinavians aspire to be Emperors, that the Polish want to establish a European buffer at the cost of our Republic. As the dominant nation of Europe, Germany must stand above such matters. It must pursue a Wächterpolitik, guarding the European balance of power from undue influence. Let the French rule France, and the Norwegians rule Scandinavia. Let Britain and Poland keep their colonies. This forms no threat to the balance of power. But should one nation encroach on the sphere of influence of another, thereby disrupting the balance of power and bringing the entire civilized world at danger, then Germany should act. We should act as protectors… This is Wächterpolitik.

It is true, our Fatherland stands great above the rest of Europe.. Our glorious nation has had many great opportunities, and we are fortunate to be in the position we are in. I must give my highest thanks to the von Hohenzollerns for leading us from the Prince-Electorate of Bavaria, to the Holy Roman Empire, and now our Republic of Germany. It is now in our hands to shape the future of our Republic, and we are in a fortunate position high above the rest of the European, and global scene. However, I believe that attempting to bully Europe into remaining as it is, is simply the wrong way to approach things. That is the flaw at the heart of Wächterpolitik.

I believe in the strength of Germany, and as such one might expect me to propagate a devastating war over Somerset. I will not do so, for I am not a warmonger. Let me point out that Somerset was a German colony - in Europe. Civilized powers frown on this, and rightfully so! Let me also point out that our failure at Somerset, which is not a German majority province, is due to our own past mistakes. Mistakes that have been made, mistakes that can’t be rectified, mistakes on which the British have already capitalized. It is too late to do anything but banish the Stadtholder, but we can take this opportunity and say to the world: “This far, but no further.” We need to take a firm stance against further foreign annexation of our possessions, not in order to solve issues like the Somerset Question, but to prevent them from ever happening.

Here, I must disagree. I come from humble beginnings outside of our borders, and the land I would call home is no longer within these borders either. Somerset was not a colony! Somerset, and Wales proper, were principalities within the Holy Roman Empire, and rightful states of our Republic!

I must take blame. I had a large part in the build-up to the Somerset people, and I have failed my people. However, these people are rightfully people of Germany. They may not be German - I do not claim to culturally be German myself - but I am a Citizen, and Stadtholder, of Germany! Are the German lands in Northern Italy only colonies, as hey do not have a German majority? How about the Low Counties? Or Croatia? Or Poland? Nein! Dim! Nee! No! Ne! Nie!

I speak to you in many tongues, but these are all tongues of the members of our Republic, and should not be thought of as any less! The Welsh in Somerset andGlamorgan may be culturally British, a term similar to German - a collection of many different peoples under one flag, but even they agree that these lands, and these citizens, are both de facto AND de jure German!

Of course, the successful execution of Wächterpolitik requires our own situation to be stable, our rights determined and absolute, our government steadfast. We must be able to stand firm in the face of foreign aggression; only then can we take the role of guardian. Whilst Germany is not entitled to a British-majority Somerset, the very same logic applies to the British, French, Norwegian, Polish nations. We cannot allow a German or Italian people to remain under foreign oppression; Heligoland must be liberated! The Lord may know why we ever ceded this small, German island to the British, but one thing is certain: One way or another, sooner or later, Heligoland must be reincorporated. Vital is that our Foreign Minister is capable, reasonable on one hand and steadfast on the other. If the British would be willing to sell the island, that could prove the beginning of a prosperous cooperation between our two nations. Should they not be willing, then we shall take up arms. Not for wealth and the Somerset colony, not for the shipping lobby or the Liberal’s pride, but to defend the German people from foreign tyranny.

As I have already outlined, the people of Somerset fully consider themselves to be German, not British, and this renders your arguments against reclaiming these lands null and void. We must act not just as guardians, but curators of Europe. This means maintaining the natural order of things, and keeping them as they should be. And for this reason, I believe that it is not just Heligoland, but Somerset that we must liberate. It is not just a Heligoland, or Somerset Question that we are presented with, but it is in fact a British, and even European Question. This is my main problem with your idea of Wächterpolitik.

It is winter now, and our Fatherland has lost its colourful leaves. Yet, like always, winter will not kill the oak, and enduring its hardships will only serve to grant another growth ring. Spring will come, and when it does, we will stand taller than ever, knowing that we fought off the very worst nature had to offer. United under an Emperor, the world will once again tremble and yield to our might. Maintaining a policy of Wächterpolitik, we will show that Germany is a united nation, a guardian of all European peoples’ liberty. We will demonstrate that through wars and revolutions, long after the demise of great Empires and Republics, as Europe changes irreversibly, one thing will remain to be: Germany will forever stand with pride.

Für Deutschland. Für den Kaiser.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

I admire your metaphor of an Oak tree, to characterise our Fatherland. However, I find your last point somewhat hypocritical - How can we "show that Germany is a united nation, a guardian of all European peoples’ liberty" if we will not protect the liberty of our own citizens in Somerset? How can we "forever stand with pride" if we will not stand up to the British, who have invaded our lands and are oppressing our people as we speak?

Germany must stand with pride, as a beacon of liberty! We must shoe the world that we are not a force to be feared, but a voice to be respected! We must protect our citizens, be they German, or Dutch, or Italian, or Welsh or Croat or Pole!

Für Deutschland! Für den Kaiser! Für Deo et Familia! Für den Bürgern!
Ich Werde Dien!

I find it falls to me to ask what the policies of the UAI are. I had understood myself that they were not unthinking enthusiasts for military adventurism, yet our new Chancellor blasphemes, speaking of the sons of Satan, speaking of the British as "pirates" for the act of occupying their home island; how then would he describe the ruler who conquered that territory in the seventeenth century? He proposes a war that even Herr Doktor Doktor Gotha, no friend of the Alliance, regards as unwise; I imagine the good doctor is as surprised as I to find ourselves in agreement on military matters. And, naturally, we are to have a Minister of War from the New Society. Not only that; although the professed economic policy of the UAI is forward looking, we are to have a Minister of Finance from the New Society as well, in spite of their mercantilist leanings.

I speak not to the Chancellor, but to the ordinary Assemblymen and Stadtholders of the UAI. Was this your intent, that your policies should be those of the New Society? If not, I submit to you you must reconsider with which party you sit; I cannot deny the great rift between Alliance and UAI, but I see as great a rift between the professed policy of your party and the bloody reality that now unfolds before you.

((Admitting OOC that I can't find anything in the AAR where France cedes Cornwall, skipping straight to them ceding the core on it. :) ))