Some things about Pops which can be learned from Imperator Rome

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vernichtere

Lt. General
57 Badges
Mar 26, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris
I like Pops in Stellaris, but they are also haevy micro right now. After 20 planets i start to play more or less a moving game.

Imperator Rome has a game driven migration. This means i need to do far less micro and Pops act more like real people. They flee from looted or overpopulated provinces. Just copy such a system. Migration should not just boost the growth. Pops should migrate by the own. You can also make a game mechanic around. Slaves are forbidden to migrate and such things.

I like Pops in Stellaris, but they are also haevy micro right now. After 20 planets i start to play more or less a moving game.

Imperator Rome has a game driven migration. This means i need to do far less micro and Pops act more like real people. They flee from looted or overpopulated provinces. Just copy such a system. Migration should not just boost the growth. Pops should migrate by the own. You can also make a game mechanic around. Slaves are forbidden to migrate and such things.

As mentioned in a couple of the dev diaries last year:

All planets with free sapient unemployed pops that are not locked down by migration controls will have a small chance every month of moving one to another planet within their empire that has jobs that they are willing and able to work, housing, and habitability of 40% or higher. This chance is increased if there are multiple unemployed pops that meet the criteria.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As mentioned in a couple of the dev diaries last year:
Will pops get the little green migration flag back on their portraits in 2.9? They used to have them on the tile system. I don't think it is used anymore?
1614847993525.png

Rather than showing the destination, it might be a nice way to show if a pop is eligible to be moved automatically, or if it has like a near certain chance (say 90%+) to move in the next 3-6months.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will pops get the little green migration flag back on their portraits in 2.9? They used to have them on the tile system. I don't think it is used anymore?
View attachment 688627
Rather than showing the destination, it might be a nice way to show if a pop is eligible to be moved automatically, or if it has like a near certain chance (say 90%+) to move in the next 3-6months.

Yes this system was far better.

Reactions:
Ah, the times where migration attraction was a thing. Soaking up all growth within your federation to your ringworld was always fun. 25 pops in less than 10 minuten... o_O

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then please increase the chances.

If you check the dev diaries they show that, at least in the test builds in november, the chance of a pop moving per month is 10% as a baseline. Being a democracy, building a transit hub in the system, or passing the Greater Than Ourselves edict boosts that monthly chance. Migration should happen pretty quickly given that, even at the baseline 10% that's an average time of 6 months for each pop (multiple can migrate at once) and with the various boosts that can get up to an average of 2 months.

Pretty quick given the pace of the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you check the dev diaries they show that, at least in the test builds in november, the chance of a pop moving per month is 10% as a baseline. Being a democracy, building a transit hub in the system, and passing the Greater Than Ourselves edict all boost that monthly chance. Migration should happen pretty quickly given that, even at the baseline 10% that's an average time of 6 months for each pop (multiple can migrate at once) and with the various boosts that can get up to an average of 2 months.

Pretty quick given the pace of the game.
I made this post with graphs in the 191 dd comments that put it in perspective based on the POP shift v month table devs provided:

On the left, just non-democratic chances to move vs time. On the right democracy overlaid. (democracy is just all the curves bumped up a little bit, in other words).
1614627609621.png
1614627672418.png

And here is how long it would APPROXIMATELY take to Guarantee [95%] the move of 1 pop no matter what.
1614628060777.png

Excel states the Polynom curve has an R^2 = 1 so that's about as accurate a projection as you're likely to get.

This means that there are substantial benefits to using the new things they added - IF you feel that shaving off pop movement times by 6-18 months is worth it to you. IMO this will be real big early on and in the mid game during "second colonisation waves" or for filling up Ecumenopoli and my first batch of habitats. But by late game more testing will be needed to know if it's worthwhile using.

• 1Like
Reactions: