• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alias_RM13

Captain
Mar 29, 2020
The new transformer system is very cumbersome in my opinion and i feel that it should not work on a radius but rather work of a power line principle.
Example

Solar Panel > Power Line > Transformer > Power line > building requiring electricity / battery racks etc

This way we do not need a load of them with overlapping radius we can just draw out a power line like a road and this transfers power for you.

Metal and planks can be used for its construction (metal to simulate copper cables)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I suggested something along these lines, no pun intended. Could use telephone poles. Of course, we do need to string them up like the transformers I guess, but sometimes that's how its done.

Current eletrical system well ummm, scientifically speaking with great respect, sucks. Might as well copy ENDZONE and use power lines taking up 1 square at twice the radius. I want my Power farms and layout out lines where they are needed. Current method is cumbersome atm.

Current eletrical system well ummm, scientifically speaking with great respect, sucks. Might as well copy ENDZONE and use power lines taking up 1 square at twice the radius. I want my Power farms and layout out lines where they are needed. Current method is cumbersome atm.

I get why they wouldn't want to copy a similar games method but the current system is far to cumbersome. I should not have to place a turbine and transformer to power a building right next to the turbine.
I personally think that they need to have the transformers radiat power around them but the power supply can be miles away, of they don't want power cables then can treat it as under ground wiring. They shouldn't have to over lap radius as that means you need a huge amount of them to power a medium sized colony. Have your power production buildings where you want, plop a transformer near your power requirement buildings and sorted.
Treat them the same way as water storage, they don't need a overlapping radius, just enough production to fill them.

I agree, dropping transformers every couple of blocks is not only cumbersome but it's also an eyesore and waste of real estate. The SIm City series did the best and most logical thing with powerlines as far back as the early 90's. I'd love to see a similar system where you have to run power past buildings in order for them to connect to 'the grid'.

I did wonder if the power line could be run underground. And treat the transformer like the water storage for buildings. Have a small transformer with the radius as it is (could make it look like an old wooden powerline) and a large transformer that looks like the current model with a much larger radius.
I like to have my power generators away from the main area and I hate that I now jave to place a transformer every 50 feet to supply power.

Another option is to have it so buildings can transmit power to each other much like they do in cities skylines. The 2 story house even has a power pylon as part of the model!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The new transformer system is very cumbersome in my opinion and i feel that it should not work on a radius but rather work of a power line principle.
Example

Solar Panel > Power Line > Transformer > Power line > building requiring electricity / battery racks etc

This way we do not need a load of them with overlapping radius we can just draw out a power line like a road and this transfers power for you.

Metal and planks can be used for its construction (metal to simulate copper cables)

Agreed liked the old way better its annoying. I only write of forums when things are terrible.

I have to agree I found the electrical grid system VERY clunky and non-existent.

I guess part of it was because I assumed transformers would work like the water storage tanks for buildings. You built them where they were needed and the system would supply them.

I think I just ended up building a wind turbine, transformer, and battery in a cluster for buildings that needed it. Even then it was kinda irritating because you would end up with excess in some locations.

I think the whole having to run wiring to take up space is a horrible idea. Power lines can go building to building or even underground and not take up space. Devoting a 5-10% of your land to just wiring is just wrong. Get out of your chair, go outside then look in your neighborhood and ask yourself this, "Does those power lines take up 5-10% of your neighborhood?"

I think transformers should act as both a collector and a distributor. Meaning if a power generator doe snot have a transformer near it then it does not supply power to the grid. Then transformers distribute power as they currently do.

Wait, having the transformers act like Water Towers to feed power to near by building that needs it seems to be a better idea. So something like a medical hospital needs 1 Water tower and a transformer to function. That way we can have our Power Farms elsewhere ?

Sounds like a good compromise than copying that "other" Post Apocalypse Colonly building game that I totally don't play .... ;)

The only way I can see the current transformer system to work is if the radius is greatly improved because right now it sucks. It also had double standards. A transformer can transfer power to any other transfer in it's radius, no matter how small, even by a pixel. Yet to give power to a building it needs to pretty much fully cover the whole building which means it needs to be right next to it. And yes I hate having to make tons of these things and making my base layout look super ugly and wasteful

Ideal solution would be the water tower method, that way I don't need to build a chain of transformers covering entire map to get full coverage, I can just drop a transformer next to a building that needs power and it will be supplied power by "underground cables". Same as I don't see why I need to place a turbine AND a transformer to power a building right next to the turbine, maybe a tiny radius around the generators (about same size as the original transformer radius) and then the water tower method for transformers to supply in a larger radius (again could have small and large transformers much like the towers that have small and large radius)