• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Alias_RM13

Second Lieutenant
Mar 29, 2020
The new transformer system is very cumbersome in my opinion and i feel that it should not work on a radius but rather work of a power line principle.
Example

Solar Panel > Power Line > Transformer > Power line > building requiring electricity / battery racks etc

This way we do not need a load of them with overlapping radius we can just draw out a power line like a road and this transfers power for you.

Metal and planks can be used for its construction (metal to simulate copper cables)

• 2Like
Reactions:

Ps2nic

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2020
I suggested something along these lines, no pun intended. Could use telephone poles. Of course, we do need to string them up like the transformers I guess, but sometimes that's how its done.

budgiesmugla

Recruit
8 Badges
Sep 26, 2020
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Could even do underground wiring to the transformers would avoid the need for added poles and wire clutter on the map

Ripflex

Recruit
Feb 4, 2020
Current eletrical system well ummm, scientifically speaking with great respect, sucks. Might as well copy ENDZONE and use power lines taking up 1 square at twice the radius. I want my Power farms and layout out lines where they are needed. Current method is cumbersome atm.

Alias_RM13

Second Lieutenant
Mar 29, 2020
Current eletrical system well ummm, scientifically speaking with great respect, sucks. Might as well copy ENDZONE and use power lines taking up 1 square at twice the radius. I want my Power farms and layout out lines where they are needed. Current method is cumbersome atm.
I get why they wouldn't want to copy a similar games method but the current system is far to cumbersome. I should not have to place a turbine and transformer to power a building right next to the turbine.
I personally think that they need to have the transformers radiat power around them but the power supply can be miles away, of they don't want power cables then can treat it as under ground wiring. They shouldn't have to over lap radius as that means you need a huge amount of them to power a medium sized colony. Have your power production buildings where you want, plop a transformer near your power requirement buildings and sorted.
Treat them the same way as water storage, they don't need a overlapping radius, just enough production to fill them.

AUSDread

Private
56 Badges
May 8, 2018
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Magicka
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I agree, dropping transformers every couple of blocks is not only cumbersome but it's also an eyesore and waste of real estate. The SIm City series did the best and most logical thing with powerlines as far back as the early 90's. I'd love to see a similar system where you have to run power past buildings in order for them to connect to 'the grid'.

Alias_RM13

Second Lieutenant
Mar 29, 2020
I did wonder if the power line could be run underground. And treat the transformer like the water storage for buildings. Have a small transformer with the radius as it is (could make it look like an old wooden powerline) and a large transformer that looks like the current model with a much larger radius.
I like to have my power generators away from the main area and I hate that I now jave to place a transformer every 50 feet to supply power.

Another option is to have it so buildings can transmit power to each other much like they do in cities skylines. The 2 story house even has a power pylon as part of the model!

• 1Like
Reactions:

zolinar

Recruit
3 Badges
Mar 26, 2014
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
The new transformer system is very cumbersome in my opinion and i feel that it should not work on a radius but rather work of a power line principle.
Example

Solar Panel > Power Line > Transformer > Power line > building requiring electricity / battery racks etc

This way we do not need a load of them with overlapping radius we can just draw out a power line like a road and this transfers power for you.

Metal and planks can be used for its construction (metal to simulate copper cables)
Agreed liked the old way better its annoying. I only write of forums when things are terrible.

Bored Peon

First Lieutenant
45 Badges
Nov 21, 2009
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
I have to agree I found the electrical grid system VERY clunky and non-existent.

I guess part of it was because I assumed transformers would work like the water storage tanks for buildings. You built them where they were needed and the system would supply them.

I think I just ended up building a wind turbine, transformer, and battery in a cluster for buildings that needed it. Even then it was kinda irritating because you would end up with excess in some locations.

I think the whole having to run wiring to take up space is a horrible idea. Power lines can go building to building or even underground and not take up space. Devoting a 5-10% of your land to just wiring is just wrong. Get out of your chair, go outside then look in your neighborhood and ask yourself this, "Does those power lines take up 5-10% of your neighborhood?"

I think transformers should act as both a collector and a distributor. Meaning if a power generator doe snot have a transformer near it then it does not supply power to the grid. Then transformers distribute power as they currently do.