• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Blue Max said:
A lot of nations are lacking leader for appropriate factions, for example, Kurdistan and Algeria have NO LEADERS, and other nations, such as Soviet Puppeted Austria lack communist leaders. Shouldn't every nation have at least four sets of leaders? The only point to liberate those guys seems to be to get the dissent off your back and onto the next guys.

It would be awesome if you could find leaders and ministers for these nations (the ones mentioned and other that fit the bill). Glad you're volunteering! ;)

Blue Max said:
A victory celebration event for finishing off a major foe, (VE day, VJ day are the historical examples.), Maybe Germany gets such an event for finishing off the Soviets or the UK. Would knock down dissent quite a bit to have a victorious outcome in WW2.

I'd also like to see similar events for partial victories - like when Germany captures Warsaw and Paris, or when the Allies liberate France. Something in the back of my mind tells me there was something similar for CORE1, but I can't quite remember...

Blue Max said:
I'm no hero when it comes to these things. I may be a WWII junkie, but I'm sure that I am in the company of far greater people than myself-- I could well be talking with WW2 vets or History Professors here. Better just stick to coming up with ideas.

Oh, the cowardly ways you have! :p
It's not that hard really, even a non-programming schmuck like me can do it.

Blue Max said:
Speaking of which, heres a few more:

Usual comments follow...

Blue Max said:
France Threatens War over the Rhineland (Another HOI CORE personal favorite) Don't think we need to discuss this too much, but I'd love to see it make a comeback.

This most likely will return. It may also become the jump of point for a non-beligerent UK chain.

Blue Max said:
Germany historically wanted all Germans to live in Germany (such was the justification for Munich). Should there be an option to put claims on Switzerland (the whole thing would be fair) and Italy (Bolzano, I think, is the square Austria wants from Italy because its largely German) to try to make good on this principle, and maybe those claims are canceled with future events (Germany eventually said in both cases that they were exceptions to the stated principle, but in this game that need not be the case)

Probably not, as this would have some severe implications for the AI. Though an ahistorical possibility may be possible if Italy goes Allied for whatever reason. I highly doubt we'll so anything along these lines for Switzerland though.

Blue Max said:
Please, if you can, try to find something that can be done about the negotiating for peace with allied nations. I have put the UK at -100% warscore and it will not accept white peace. Same also goes for France. Maybe additional difficulty can be expected and deserved, but I still think that this is too far.

I'm not sure we can do anything about it. IIRC, this is in the hard code, and would require a change from PI.

Blue Max said:
More Battle Scenarios please. :)

There are some in teh works. But they're of secondary importance ATM.

Blue Max said:
A lot of nations are lacking leader for appropriate factions, for example, Kurdistan and Algeria have NO LEADERS, and other nations, such as Soviet Puppeted Austria lack communist leaders. Shouldn't every nation have at least four sets of leaders? The only point to liberate those guys seems to be to get the dissent off your back and onto the next guys.

Leaders or Ministers? Checking my files, I have valid files for military leaders for Kurdistan and Algeria. If you're talking about ministers for every possible political alignemnt, well, that's a different story. For some nations, the only valid national leaders (that is ministers), are of only one ideology. If people can come up with legitimate cabinets for each nation, for each ideology, we'll be more than happy to include them (after double checking them of course).

Blue Max said:
A victory celebration event for finishing off a major foe, (VE day, VJ day are the historical examples.), Maybe Germany gets such an event for finishing off the Soviets or the UK. Would knock down dissent quite a bit to have a victorious outcome in WW2.

This can certainly be done. I wouldn't go too far over board with teh dissent reduction though.

Blue Max said:
A fourth reich event (this is largely true). To escape the clutches of the Allies for the Nuremburg Trials related offenses, many of the top German leadership fled to Argentina. Don't know the likelihood of it happening, but if Argentina is in the Axis when Germany is taken out, shouldn't they get some cool German Millitary leaders?

Maybe. Again, this comes close to certain unmentionables, but could be reasonable in such a situation. We'll have to discuss it thoroughly, and watch how it all gets worded.

Blue Max said:
Historically, when nations ran out of manpower they simply found new people to serve in their ranks, they DIDN'T STOP MAKING ARMY DIVISIONS. The Soviet Union was conscripting women for "light duty" armed forces work, and the Germans at the end of the war were conscripting Hitler Youth and old men in their ranks. I think that if a major nation runs out of manpower, they would be faced with an event that would cause a major dissent hit (15-20%?) and create lots more manpower, or get no dissent and no manpower.

Maybe. With teh revamp of the tech trees, and unit stats, this may or may not be needed. Plus, we will be reviewing MP disbursement and gains for every nation (eventually that is).

Blue Max said:
Kim Phillsby spying on the UK event, where the Soviets get free blueprints at the expense of the UK. This is also historical, and while Phillsby himself may only have compromised UK intelligence agencies, there is no doubt that the Soviet Union was stealing western technology DURING WWII, need only to consider the short time it took the Soviets to make an A bomb after the Americans.

The biggest thing the Soviets stole was the A-Bomb materials. Most of teh rest was dleivered to them as lend-lease, then reverse engineered. The KGB and GRU really didn;t come into their own as an industrial espionage unit until the early 1950's. So, we may up the chance for the "espionage" random events for teh USSR, but I don't think we'll dedicate a chain to Philby and the other 5 stars.

Blue Max said:
1936 Soviet Constitution (also historical) This was pretty much just a piece of paper, don't know if it had much effect, but it might have given the Soviets some better relations or something.

Maybe as flavor. More important would be the continually revised 5 year plans for teh USSR.

Blue Max said:
Another tidbit I found, the USA (In 1942) actually created the anti-Brazilian letter that infuriated the president and caused him to Join the Allies. I think it would be fitting if the USA had the opportunity to do it again.

Maybe as part of a larger chain, and as a bit of flavor. There were a lot more factors that went into that decision of larger import than that letter, though it does make for good press.

Blue Max said:
Three days, three rounds of suggestions. Hope no ones sick of me yet.

Ha! You should have seen me in the early days of CORE1! :wacko:

Armor

I was wondering if you intended to do anything about armor vs infantry cost/efficiency. It has become clear to most playing HOI2 intensively that you get more from infantry than from armor. While it is not as drastic as some threads in the main forum pretend it is, there is little doubt that infantry is very good in offensive capabilities, in fact, too good.

Couldn't you lower infantry's toughness value to decrease its offensive potential?

Ghis

Ok so which of those war not started yet? Out of that group I think that the ones that would be the most fun to start are the Battle of Britain or the Chinese Civil War (1945).

If you want to have a look at the other scenarios I've worked on, download either one of the scenarios in my sig.

Back again for another round of suggestions.

I note, with some distaste, that PI kept the HOI color scheme for HOI2. I hope that, if nothing else, you continue to use the CORE Color scheme. I grumble about this as I discover that Finland and Germany have ALMOST THE SAME COLOR, and if they are allied, both nations units are running around in both nations.

The Alliance system in HOI2 could make some fun diplomatic mini-structures: Would be fun to see Danubian Pact (Italy, Austria, Hungary, and Puppet Ethiopia?), The East Asia Co-Prosperity sphere (Japan, Manuchko, Siam, and other J. Puppets), The Iberian Pact (Spain and Portugal) and the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg). Again, I don't know how tight these groups were, but a large coalition of little countries can be every bit as scary as one big country.

If a the use of a nuclear bomb can not be detected, what about just having one and making a "USA threatens weapon of unimaginable power against us!" event [same for any great power.]

Please make coup d'etats actually useable. I'm playing a game with Germany, and even with a +20% minister bonus, all nations have a 0% of being Cdted!

I actually didn't like the spheres of influence thing from Core1, can guarentees suffice for that?

I don't know if this just the game or not, but the AI seems to have gotten strategically smarter, along the lines of "Germany: I don't want to attack the Soviet Union, or the Allies will eat me!" However, if that is the decision made by the Axis, it doesn't seem to do a great job making allies and getting VPs. The Commintern, aside for fighting in china (and not getting many, if any, VPS), seems to be doing even less, as USSR as three friends, and two of them are puppets. IF the AI is going to do this, can you at least make things interesting and have it start massive fundraising so that it can buy new allies (Is this no war thing a strategy? Seems a bit clever to do, as a democracy can't declare war on a non-belligrent state :confused:

Germany should demand her colonies back, that was fun in Core1.

I mean to say this in a friendly and appropiate fashion (but this is not a friendly thing). German occupication policies in occupied nations would, never, ever,ever let the dissent indicator reach 2%, and in many cases, %20 is also too low.

I don't know if this possible, but having events like the meetings at Yalta and Casablanca (Potsdam questionable) where your input can change the AI attack plan (like you could get the Allies to focus on an Italian Campaign, rather than Normandy would be highly cool and be a perfect addition of strategy in diplomacy for CORE, if it could be done.

Getting late, be back again, good night all.

Blue Max said:
Back again for another round of suggestions.

And the obligatory comments below! :rofl:

Blue Max said:
I note, with some distaste, that PI kept the HOI color scheme for HOI2. I hope that, if nothing else, you continue to use the CORE Color scheme. I grumble about this as I discover that Finland and Germany have ALMOST THE SAME COLOR, and if they are allied, both nations units are running around in both nations.

CORE colors should be returning.

Blue Max said:
The Alliance system in HOI2 could make some fun diplomatic mini-structures: Would be fun to see Danubian Pact (Italy, Austria, Hungary, and Puppet Ethiopia?), The East Asia Co-Prosperity sphere (Japan, Manuchko, Siam, and other J. Puppets), The Iberian Pact (Spain and Portugal) and the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg). Again, I don't know how tight these groups were, but a large coalition of little countries can be every bit as scary as one big country.

I believe the Danubian chain will be returning, and there will be some similar ideas done for Japan and Asia. Not sure about the Iberian Pact, that will depend on game play. I think that the BeNeLux nations are fairly well covered through in game play as is.

Blue Max said:
If a the use of a nuclear bomb can not be detected, what about just having one and making a "USA threatens weapon of unimaginable power against us!" event [same for any great power.]

It's bit cheesey IMO to have such an event. It's a bit too much like "click yes and win instantly" if you see what I mean.

Blue Max said:
Please make coup d'etats actually useable. I'm playing a game with Germany, and even with a +20% minister bonus, all nations have a 0% of being Cdted!

This is being discussed and worked on in Beta. It's a code thing AFAIK, and thus has to come from PI.

Blue Max said:
I actually didn't like the spheres of influence thing from Core1, can guarentees suffice for that?

That's the idea. We shouldn't need the SoI stuff at all. No matter what Max says. ;)

Blue Max said:
I don't know if this just the game or not, but the AI seems to have gotten strategically smarter, along the lines of "Germany: I don't want to attack the Soviet Union, or the Allies will eat me!" However, if that is the decision made by the Axis, it doesn't seem to do a great job making allies and getting VPs. The Commintern, aside for fighting in china (and not getting many, if any, VPS), seems to be doing even less, as USSR as three friends, and two of them are puppets. IF the AI is going to do this, can you at least make things interesting and have it start massive fundraising so that it can buy new allies (Is this no war thing a strategy? Seems a bit clever to do, as a democracy can't declare war on a non-belligrent state :confused:

I'm the last person to ask about AI stuff. Maybe Kevin can chime in here.

Blue Max said:
Germany should demand her colonies back, that was fun in Core1.

I believe these will also be returning.

Blue Max said:
I mean to say this in a friendly and appropiate fashion (but this is not a friendly thing). German occupication policies in occupied nations would, never, ever,ever let the dissent indicator reach 2%, and in many cases, %20 is also too low.

Not sure what you're talking about here. :confused:
The CORE1 occupation events are not going to be back for CORE2, as they're unnecessary IMO. But we will be effecting a lot of teh partisan and occupied/owned issues that currently exist in vanilla.

Blue Max said:
I don't know if this possible, but having events like the meetings at Yalta and Casablanca (Potsdam questionable) where your input can change the AI attack plan (like you could get the Allies to focus on an Italian Campaign, rather than Normandy would be highly cool and be a perfect addition of strategy in diplomacy for CORE, if it could be done.

Some of these are in teh planning stages. But there's a lot to work out to get these going. Don't expect to see them in the first few releases.

Blue Max said:
Getting late, be back again, good night all.

As before, keep it coming. Not only does it provide new ideas, but it allows some updating on what's being planned and worked on.

Lt Hilsdorf said:
Ok so which of those war not started yet? Out of that group I think that the ones that would be the most fun to start are the Battle of Britain or the Chinese Civil War (1945).

If you want to have a look at the other scenarios I've worked on, download either one of the scenarios in my sig.

Try and contact the listed authors as to what they need. One of the most time consuming apsects is getting the maps set right. In other words, the scenario eug file.

For the CCW, I have the .eug file, but am awaiting a new book on Chinese armies of the period before setting up the basic OOBs.

;) I'm back again (5 times now, Believe)

There should be more peace deal attempts in the game. In 1943. Hitler and Stalin were having private talks for a peace deal, and I think that it would be something if, short of a bitter peace, Germany can still get a "good deal" in the east. Soviet Union would also need a peace deal plan in the event Japan takes Siberia, and in the event that Finland has either taken Murmansk or survived more than three months against the Soviet Union.

Any plans for CORE in mind in the Event that the Allies and the Soviets go to war? Or what about something ahistorical, like Japan or Italy going Allied, or Nationalist China going Axis?

As for the A-Bomb thing, I was kinda of thinking of "they've got the A-bomb, +20 warscore in any conflict", not a "instant win event". In all likelihood, I think that a nation would have continued to fight against a nation with such a weapon, they would just be much more eager not to.

If two nations on each side of a conflict have A-bombs, there could be a "forced peace" event, similar to the cold war.

I also think that, since apparently the major Alliances will essentially never go for a peace deal, their hand needs to be forced in many places, in addition to what was said above. Germany sues for peace, Finland, England, America, Japan, Portugal, all of those guys need a peace deal event of some kind for a more limited situation than "75% VP taken", that's excessive.

I'll be back again...

Blue Max said:
;) I'm back again (5 times now, Believe)

And half your post count is here too!

Blue Max said:
There should be more peace deal attempts in the game. In 1943. Hitler and Stalin were having private talks for a peace deal, and I think that it would be something if, short of a bitter peace, Germany can still get a "good deal" in the east. Soviet Union would also need a peace deal plan in the event Japan takes Siberia, and in the event that Finland has either taken Murmansk or survived more than three months against the Soviet Union.

I believe that this will all be part of the German Plans for the East chain that was in CORE1. Depending on what option is chosen, and who's in the German Alliance, will determine who gets what and under what circumstances.

Blue Max said:
Any plans for CORE in mind in the Event that the Allies and the Soviets go to war? Or what about something ahistorical, like Japan or Italy going Allied, or Nationalist China going Axis?

Nothing ATM. Well, a potential Allied-Comintern War is going to have some things, but that will mostly be post-war, or if something horribly ahistorical happens to Germany. I'll have to cast about for the guys who worked up the CORE1 Italy stuff pre-Anschluss, as that would be a good point at which to shift Italian interests away form Germany. Japan going Allied I really don't see happening 99.9% of teh time, so I don't think that much will be done on that front. As for NatChi goin Axis, I may have some ideas about that, but if they go in, the chance of it happening owuld be rather rare.

Blue Max said:
As for the A-Bomb thing, I was kinda of thinking of "they've got the A-bomb, +20 warscore in any conflict", not a "instant win event". In all likelihood, I think that a nation would have continued to fight against a nation with such a weapon, they would just be much more eager not to.

If two nations on each side of a conflict have A-bombs, there could be a "forced peace" event, similar to the cold war.

Again, I think this is too scripted. Plus, we're looking at this issue with the advantage of hind sight. At that time, no one actually knew what the effects of an A bomb would be. It seems anachronistic to me to have a cold war mentality prevail when the data required for it didn't as yet exist. MAD wasn't even a concept as yet, even to SciFi writers. So no to this for now.

Blue Max said:
I also think that, since apparently the major Alliances will essentially never go for a peace deal, their hand needs to be forced in many places, in addition to what was said above. Germany sues for peace, Finland, England, America, Japan, Portugal, all of those guys need a peace deal event of some kind for a more limited situation than "75% VP taken", that's excessive.

Well, we may be able to mitigate some of this. I'd much rather have it all hammered out through teh coding of the game itself, so that the diplo engine properly takes account of the War Score and such. But, we will be doing some things, based around the various conferences (Yalta, Casablanca, Tehran, etc), that could make certain alternate scenarios possible in game.

Blue Max said:
I'll be back again...

Hmmm. That sounds like a threat!
:wacko: :D

I am wondering about this...

Would it be possible to have an event with a random chance to sabotage a nation's nuclear program? Remembering a few documentaries I have seen, and text I have read, there was a lot of discussion by the theoretical scientists invovled, who laid the ground work for the nuclear program, who had second thoughts about the right to unleash such weaponry upon humanity.

Would it not be possible for us to have a random chance that your scientists covertly sabotage your nulcear weapon program based on issues of morality? I know after these weapons were used, a high number of scientists became passivists.

McNaughton said:
I am wondering about this...

Would it be possible to have an event with a random chance to sabotage a nation's nuclear program? Remembering a few documentaries I have seen, and text I have read, there was a lot of discussion by the theoretical scientists invovled, who laid the ground work for the nuclear program, who had second thoughts about the right to unleash such weaponry upon humanity.

Would it not be possible for us to have a random chance that your scientists covertly sabotage your nulcear weapon program based on issues of morality? I know after these weapons were used, a high number of scientists became passivists.

I don't believe that we can target specific techs. There is a research_sabotage event command, but it randomly sabotages a tech being researched. We could however remove those scientist tech teams who have "second thoughts" about it, forcing a player to use one of the others. That's about as close we'll be able to get from what I know.

He's Back!

Okay, played the game a lot, had some more concerns.

Why would declining the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact create dissent for Germany? Wouldn't it be the other way around: Siging a pact with our "eternal enemy" would cause dissent, the other way not?

Be fun if the computer made more alliance attempts, probably much more of a game balance issue than a CORE issue, because if the whole Balkans forms a political block, it's a lot stronger than the nations piecemeal--and might actually survive the wishes of Germany or Soviet Union.

Speaking more in the issue of Game balance, in HOI1, Germany in 1936 was ahead of its neighbors and entirely ready to kick other nations tail. Best I was ever able to do against it (as France) was to build a giant stalemate line and wait for the USA to mail infantry to France (yup, three years of waiting). This game though, its the Soviet Union that has the serious millitary edge, and can go rampaging around. Shouldn't the inital balance of power favor the Allies? It really doesn't seem like it, espically with the peacetime IC thing.

Shouldn't there be a Hitler shoots self, Gobbels shoots self, events and either Goring or Himmler or Doenitz becomes the new German leader if the Germans loose Berlin?

What about the "Bomb Rotterdam" event in the Fall Gelb scenario--can you use that event chain so that the Dutch will surrender?

Should there ever be a game victory event? The game is played in terms of Victory points, and I was wondering if CORE would display your results (based on VP) based on your play like: "German Total Victory: With the utter defeat of the Soviet Union and the exile of the Allies out of the Eastern Hemisphere, the 15th year of our thousand year empire shows the peace of a new world order. Vast castles are built in the Ukraine and countless towns renamed in honor of our nations finest heroes and the German Reich extends from Pretoria to Archangel.

I love these things. Blue Max.

Blue Max said:
He's Back!

Why would declining the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact create dissent for Germany? Wouldn't it be the other way around: Siging a pact with our "eternal enemy" would cause dissent, the other way not?

There could probably be an argument for things either way. The dissent is probably in there for gameplay reasons. They inserted the dissent hit to "force" the player to play historically.

Be fun if the computer made more alliance attempts, probably much more of a game balance issue than a CORE issue, because if the whole Balkans forms a political block, it's a lot stronger than the nations piecemeal--and might actually survive the wishes of Germany or Soviet Union.

I don't know if that is possible. It might be something that is in the AI settings, but if we adjust those, it might make the AI nations more vulnerable to repeated alliance offers from the major powers resulting in ahistorical alliances.

Speaking more in the issue of Game balance, in HOI1, Germany in 1936 was ahead of its neighbors and entirely ready to kick other nations tail. Best I was ever able to do against it (as France) was to build a giant stalemate line and wait for the USA to mail infantry to France (yup, three years of waiting). This game though, its the Soviet Union that has the serious millitary edge, and can go rampaging around. Shouldn't the inital balance of power favor the Allies? It really doesn't seem like it, espically with the peacetime IC thing.

We could go into a history lesson where we discuss how Germany was on a upswing in their military technology compared to the Allies. Due to procurment schedules and other economic factors, Germany was in a position to use more of their industry to support a war effort in 1936. Were they ready to fight the war on that date? Probably not, but their industry was being focused on getting their military to that point.

Shouldn't there be a Hitler shoots self, Gobbels shoots self, events and either Goring or Himmler or Doenitz becomes the new German leader if the Germans loose Berlin?

There could be an event like that but it would have to me more complex. I don't see Hitler commiting suicide just because Berlin fell. I think it was more the fact there was no escape from Berlin once he allowed himself to be trapped in Berlin by the Soviets. If it had been a single penetration which takes Berlin, Hitler would move the seat of government. Especially if there is a chance that Berlin will be retaken.

What about the "Bomb Rotterdam" event in the Fall Gelb scenario--can you use that event chain so that the Dutch will surrender?

Can you be more specific?

Should there ever be a game victory event? The game is played in terms of Victory points, and I was wondering if CORE would display your results (based on VP) based on your play like: "German Total Victory: With the utter defeat of the Soviet Union and the exile of the Allies out of the Eastern Hemisphere, the 15th year of our thousand year empire shows the peace of a new world order. Vast castles are built in the Ukraine and countless towns renamed in honor of our nations finest heroes and the German Reich extends from Pretoria to Archangel.

We could redo the screens which come up when the game ends. I personally would love to get rid of the crying Frenchman when I quit the game early :D. MDow

MateDow said:
We could go into a history lesson where we discuss how Germany was on a upswing in their military technology compared to the Allies. Due to procurment schedules and other economic factors, Germany was in a position to use more of their industry to support a war effort in 1936. Were they ready to fight the war on that date? Probably not, but their industry was being focused on getting their military to that point.

This will be illustrated as part of the new Industrial tech tree for CORE!

Blue Max said:
He's Back!

And MateDow is honing in on all my fun!

Blue Max said:

Mostly it's for game play reasons. However, it does also represent the general feelings of the military commands that the USSR needed to be appeased for a while, so that they could gear up for a proper war, after defeating France. So, call it the paranoia about a two front war with major powers.

Blue Max said:

As MateDow pointed out, there's an issue of it becoming too easy to get those ahistorical alliances. Like Germany getting Turkey and Spain into the Axis in 1940. I think we'll be leaving most of the neutrality and isolationism settings as is for minors. Any sort of minor alliance will be handled by event.

Blue Max said:

This will be changed with Baylox's excellent new Industrial tech tree!

Blue Max said:

It has to be more than just Berlin falling for this to happen. Germany has to be on the verge of total defeat, having lost most of it's key provinces. Otherwise, as MateDow said, old Adolf would just move the government.

Blue Max said:

Not sure we'll use the Rotterdam event chain per se, but there will be changes for the fall of Holland and Belgium.

Blue Max said:

Maybe. The issue becomes as to when a player wants to stop playing. Some like to carry on to the bitter end, even having conquored the USSR and UK. Plus, if you're playing another nation, such as the USA, or Japan, you may not be wanting to see that event come up, as you still have a lot going on.

Blue Max said:

Addict. :p :D

JRaup said:
This will be changed with Baylox's excellent new Industrial tech tree!

I can't take credit for the basic design, that belongs to McNaughton. Despite being bogged down with the Armor/Artillery tree he took the time to come up with this little gem. But yeah, it is excellent. :D