• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1949)

First Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2001
Visit site
I have been playing my first game of EUII and have found it enjoyable, except for the continous loss of stability from the random events. I haven't been able to maintain even a +1 despite spending most of my income of stability. As England my nation has been impoverished and I am falling behind on Tech research because most of my money is going to stability. Is there anything that can tone down the random events that mandate the collaspe of stability time and time again? I have fought only one war for fear of my stability being forever lowered to -3. I think they really overdid the down siding of the stability index, BIG-TIME. Is anyone else having this problem or has God cursed the nation of England?

blame BiB for that! :D

Actually, a majority of Beta tester where in favor of setting 0 stab as the normal. So, staying at 3 is a constant challenge. :)

Originally posted by tyreynolds
I have been playing my first game of EUII and have found it enjoyable, except for the continous loss of stability from the random events. I haven't been able to maintain even a +1 despite spending most of my income of stability. As England my nation has been impoverished and I am falling behind on Tech research because most of my money is going to stability. Is there anything that can tone down the random events that mandate the collaspe of stability time and time again? I have fought only one war for fear of my stability being forever lowered to -3. I think they really overdid the down siding of the stability index, BIG-TIME. Is anyone else having this problem or has God cursed the nation of England?

Yes, Yes, Yes and No, England is not cursed.....:)

You can edit the Random Events if you are comfortable with navigating the Windows Dirs. and using Notepad.

Look in the Europea Universalis 2 Dir. In the Db/events sub. Dir. is
a readable 41K text file called Random Events. Each event can be edited as to effect strength or deleated.

I created a new EU II sub directory called EU stuff and copied the Random Events file there so I can reinstall it at some point.

I then reduced some of the -2 Stability Killer RE's. example: xxx= stability value= -2 } to -1

**NOTE** I am not advising this: If you do not know what you are doing you can corrupt/wreck the EU II Program necessitating a complete re-install of the Game **Note**

God and St. George for England !!;)

Actually, being at +3 is harder, but not impossible. I've held France at +3 for close to 60 years, with only very occasional dips to +2 or +1. The trick: Don't go to war. :D

Originally posted by Tonto_Samurai
I had little problem staying as a fairly stable +2/+3 as England...

Wow !! That's a great response to the thread starting newbie seeking help:rolleyes:

I'm actually having the opposite "problem" right now in my game as France. I can't find enough ways to lower my Stability from +3; saints keep performing miracles, good government policies keep popping up, not to mention good $$ ones like trading companies forming, etc. I am experiencing one of the most outrageous runs of good random event luck I seen (or may ever see). I should book a flight to Vegas NOW!

Right after a saint performed yet another miracle and boosted me from +2 to +3, the damn English decided to end the 100 Years War! A +2 Stability boost wasted! Merde!!! :D

keep in mind as well that your DP settings often determine which/if you'll get some truly brutal historical events--so it does matter for more than just the effects, it also means that you can recieve some events. Greven said something about high aristocracy triggering some really tough ones, so watch out for that.

Originally posted by tyreynolds

England is not cursed. Seems like you might have had a little bad luck... ;) Last time I played England I guess my stab average for the first 150 years was -1 - Still managed to take most of France though :D

The computer does NOT have the same frequency for random events...

Ever since I first found it "unfair" that my stability was lower than almost every other nation on earth solely through random events, I've been doing a survey every January 1st.

I'm on +3 sometimes. But everyone else is FAR more often than not, unless they're going through some nation-specific problem like the War of the Roses or the Time of Troubles.

We saw the same thing on the beta side. Looks to be much better these days, hopefully you'll see that with 1.02. Remember though, with all the little minors, +3 is easy for them to get, since it's easier to keep a small country stable.

I have no objection to having an average stability of 0 but 0 is not average stability. Every other nation in Europe has +3 stability in my game compared to my -3 solely from events. Furthermore, it seems like all the other things which depend on stability are not organised to recognise 0 stability as 'average'.

I've managed to keep stability at +3 for quite a while. Sometimes, events help you out (Saint Perform Miracle! :D)

Smaller nations seem to be able to raise their stability a lot faster, so, when they do go down, they can reestablish to max level quicker. I think this makes sense, since it should be easier for a two province nation to keep a lid on things compared to a sprawling world empire, especially in the days when traversing the Atlantic

Also, the England AI in my game has been suffering at -1 stability for quite some time now. Maybe some nations are more unstable than others?

Speaking about the English AI, it seems to be having the same troubles it used to have in EU once I knocked it back to just England proper.... Might be that the AI isn't that great at combined arms warfare.

Stability did not randomly drop up and down every couple of years because of dozens of saints and meteors.

The most frequent causes of instability were succession, economic crisis, and war. I for one believe that the game should not be turned into a random dice-fest, but that actual decisions made should result in the determination of the game.

Of course things should happen outside the realm of control, but not with the frequency that is being reported.

Making the game harder should not involve kneecaping nations with stab hits, it should punish poor decisions, and create instability at appropriate moments.

The bigger and more multiregilous an empire the harder to get stab up. This scary amount of events that feck up stability are totally lacking from my games. I get an event occasionally, I dunno what game u are playing, bad management methinks ;)

Originally posted by BiB
The bigger and more multiregilous an empire the harder to get stab up. This scary amount of events that feck up stability are totally lacking from my games. I get an event occasionally, I dunno what game u are playing, bad management methinks ;)

Wouldn't the term, Random Event by definition remove management from the equation?

Originally posted by BiB

herr... hmmm. There ARE a lot of random events to drop stab. There are also some events to raise stab, the problem is, you get them when you're at +3 goddam it! I just spent more than 3 years in my game redressing my stab from -3 to +3, argh!! And you know the worst? I voluntarly loss that stab by breaking a vassalization and declaring war, only to inherit the goddam province 1 month late! :mad: God, am I stupid! :D

I'd say the stab thing is annoying, but it prevents human player from going to far ahead of AI nations in tech advance, so it's a nice feature.