• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Im a total Rookie to the game - seraching since 2 hours 4 the right Patchs 1.03 or 1.04 ? What is the right order to Patch or can i start with 1.04/1.05? Right now the game is on 1.02! Where can i get the final patches > Link ? THX for your help.

Patch sections here in the forum is empty!

Im a total Rookie to the game - seraching since 2 hours 4 the right Patchs 1.03 or 1.04 ? What is the right order to Patch or can i start with 1.04/1.05? Right now the game is on 1.02! Where can i get the final patches > Link ? THX for your help.

Patch sections here in the forum is empty!

Grab 1.5 here.
You don't need to instally any of the prior patch version 'cos 1.5 has all of them included. Also don't be afraid to install 1.5 on top of 1.2 you currently have - will work as designed!

Patching Patches

Grab 1.5 here.
You don't need to instally any of the prior patch version 'cos 1.5 has all of them included. Also don't be afraid to install 1.5 on top of 1.2 you currently have - will work as designed!

Thanks for the easy clarification.

I thought I was pretty smart to register with Gamer's Gate for "notice of price reductions", and just bought Arsenal of Democracy today for only $5.99 (~70% off). But I was not smart enough to decide how to attempt installation given that I could download AoD, Patch 103, Patch 104 and Patch 105 (1.3, 1.4 and 1.5). I downloaded them all (including the manual) and read around forum to learn that there are some issues. Perhaps exposing the fact that I am anything but a computer nerd, and asking how/what to instal would be worth the ignominious embarrassment if I end up with a game that runs properly? Because "playing the game" is what I look forward to, having played HoI II and the Doomsday expansion for some years.

Thanks to all who developed the patches to get to the 5th version. What I don't understand, if Patch 105 does it all, why is Paradox even offering the other older patch downloads? I wonder if some people think 1.3 or 1.4 is better to play with than 1.5 and Paradox wants to offer this choice? If that is true, why doesn't Paradox still give downloads for what I assume must have been even earlier patches 1.1 and 1.2? :confused:

Unfortunately, all my reading of reviews before I bought the game only mentioned up to Patch 103, I think. So, anybody please, "What is best - playing 1.5, 1.4 or 1.3?"

FAMOUS QUOTE from someone much smarter than me: "Give a man enough rope, and they will probably hang themselves".

Thank you Paradox, for taking my measly $5.99 and making my life so difficult! Is there no way you can sell a game with simply all the latest patches incorporated in the game so we - the computer illiterates - could do ONE download and ONE instal and just start playing at the best quality that our heroic modding community has gotten your game fixed to? If Patch 105 includes all the earlier patches (and that is technically possible as Hister states) why can't Paradox just offer the game with all patches also installed? Like: "An updated, ready-to-play game offering the best experience currently possible" Or should we just keep patching patches forever? :wacko:

Last edited:
Hi, Commander666,

Some explanation: the original version you bought was 1.02, for reasons too boring to go into here ;) After that were 1.03, 1.04 and 1.05, each of which has a different balance and "issues". You have access to them all so that you can play whichever you prefer - some mods work only up to specific patch levels, also, and this might be a factor. If you need to, you can have multiple copies of the game on your disk, with mods on some (at the appropriate patch level) and not on others.

Version 1.06 is currently in production; you can find the current alpha version in the Tech. Support forum. As it's in alpha we don't give any guarantees on it, but so far it looks fairly good - perhaps the best so far from a balance and "playability" point of view. But don't take my word for it (I'm biased, naturally) - read the comments in the forum from those who are playing the game! :)

1.02: balance issues but playable
1.03: epic fail, added an important bug that made the game almost unplayable
1.04: ok
1.05: some balance issues created, some new stuff, serious mod compatibility/multiplayer bugs
1.06: seems ok so far.

Also I think you just think too much. In 99% of cases when there are several patches, take the latest one, period. That applies to pretty much any software, not only paradox games.

I think you just think too much. In 99% of cases when there are several patches, take the latest one, period.

Thanks for the excellent concise answer. I agree with your appraisal of my brain and will forget about the earlier patches and just use 1.06
I must say I am surprised by the numerous problems expressed playing AoD and comments such as "1.03 an epic failure". Maybe it is overdosed on steroids?

Years ago, with HoI DD, I played every major country several times and thought it a really good game, regardless of some issues like ghost fleets and criticisms of the AI. I realize trying to improve a great product can actually worsen things and am glad there is such a strong will to get the game right. The same occurred with HoI3 needing Semper Fi to fix it so it was playable. I do understand the general desire that existed in the HoI community to make the core game better (and newer) by expanding it to Doomsday, Armageddon, and onwards. I am just wondering where all of this development is heading and would most like to spend my game time where the greatest number of satisfied players are. In your opinion, what game in the Hearts of Iron series is attracting the greatest following? I wonder where all the soldiers went?

HoI3 is where they went, most probably. The fact that a game is the most popular does not necessarily make it the best one, though.

I understand it needs Semper Fi, and would add that.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed with AoD because my expectation was it would be an improvement on HoI2 DD which I played for about 5 years, loved it, but was looking for a game that had the mistakes in HoIDD fixed. I did NOT ever play Armegeddon and so there exists a gap in my ability to relate to this game's evolution. But I find AoD has just complicated things imensely and not even fixed many obvious design problems with the earlier game.

One of the best fixes they did was to provide a button for leader trait "specialty", which eliminates hours of wasted time scrolling for that last logistics guy. But - just one example - they never fixed how convoys need to be managed and how the different displays for convoys and supply depots need to interface so they can be properly micro-managed. Instead they enhanced it to now include also representing the convoys needed for trades, but work them differently. And these "trade convoys" now completely muddle any human ability to even manage the old supply convoys. The enhancement (let's also show the convoys needed for trades) destroyed the old game management of supply convoys. A good expansion would have keep the old supply convoy idea, fixed the interfaces for supply depots and convoys (so they were shiftable like one can move builds up or down in the queue listing), and introduced a new enhancement like they did which is ability to draw supplies from nearest provincial depot (instead of the capital). As regards supply convoys, that would have opened up the sensible fix of (USA player example) stockpiling in Hawaii, and specific supply convoys from Hawaii running short distances to further islands bases, instead of every supply convoy goes from mainland USA to island base. If the game had gotten that concept right, and AI taught how to use it properly, the next game would have fixed something that mattered. But instead they decided to enhance the game (read "to complicate it") by adding trade conveys now running like supply convoys without fixing the old convoy management problems. While micromanagement of convoys was challenging before, I think now it is pointess to even try.

Baiscally my criticism is that the game adds so much new stuff that is prone to new bugs and new design failings without ever having really fixed the obvious flaws, bugs and design failings in the old game. For instance, ships going to Manila still travel thru land to reach Manila port. While I am all for improving the AI, game development should have been a logical "fix the bugs" like the old ghost fleets", change the errors in map so ships don't cut thru land, etc, enhance the game in small ways to eliminate over simplification of things like the Panama cana (with its beach icon in the wrong ocean)l, and get the AI both smarter while preventing it from doing what everybody was complaining about (stockpling units on useless islands and provinces while leaving an important front empty).

Instead I find AoD to be a radically changed game containing many of past HoI's errors, complicating the playability to a much higher level, and introducing new problems with the many new enhancements. And as regards graphics, AoD is simply downright awful compared to HoIDD. The changes are slight, from opening graphics to the exact color choices for provinces. If HoIDD was vivid, then AoD is garish.

Certainly the game needs a wiki to help new comers understand how sliders and other things interact. How come my spies are killing enemy spies when I have zero dollars appropriated to espinoage activities? Why can I underfund civil expenses by 50% without an increase in dissent? In fact what is the relationship between the new Expenses Section and the old dollars represented in Consumer Goods and daily dollar income inclusing trades? The old system was understandable. One could calculate and see exact responses to any changes one made. Now I feel "quite muddled" by the different interacting sections that no longer seem to add up. Obviously, just let the game play itself on full auto - and go read a good book about WWII. I am sure somebody will retort "I should stop complaining and read the manual". Well, the manual is an outstanding failure - not even page numbers! I did read it all, and it is just the same general mumbo-jumbo of earlier manuals. While it mentions everything and what all buttons do, it doesn't reallly say how anything works or inter-relates. But in the ealier game I could, for example, predict time for a technology to finish. But now I am not even able to figure out why some techs don't advance as they should even with 100% funding. Before things had direct relationships; now there seem to exist nebulous relationships.

The diplomacy sliders work the same. But I don't appreciate the unknown extra influences of National Identity, Social Policy and Culture because I suspect that each are important modifiers to the choices in government and also the annual slider shifts. It becomes a game of "chance" instead of knowing the effects of changes to reach one's focus. And I really dislike being given dissent without advance warning that making a certain political change will give me dissent. It should be part of the information to help me make a decision - not surprise me. The game allows one annual "free" slider shift, righ?. But you can do another one about a week later with a freebee of umpteen more dissent. Of course, bad hard coding like that only results in a new player exiting and starting over. What a waste of time!

While I know nothing about HoI3 with Semper Fi, just the graphics alone make it very interesting. But somehow I think that maybe my biggest problem is that I actually have not played any game since I quit a year ago. Perhaps both AoD and HoI3 are too big a leap coming from HoIDD, and I really should try Armageddon first.

I would like to see Paradox and the modding community settling on one Hearts of Iron game, and get it fixed in every way (using patches and new releases) before the game's evolution races on to yet another enhanced version. The greatest shortfall has always been the AI. Reading about both AoD (now at Patch 6) and HoI3 (needs Semper Fi to play properly) proves that the basic problem is not getting better. How can it if future Hearts of Iron games are so radically enhanced? Is it not true that the more enhanced a game is, the greater is the challenge to code an AI that can deal properly with the increased burden of greater complexity?

Hearts of Iron is a truely remarkable game. Unfortunately, the development of further enhancements has only - in my opinion - frustrated the focus to play a really good game that is really bug free, balanced all things that were written about for years (naval bombers and much more), fixed some really silly errors, made the game progessively more playable (easier to play), and built up better internal awareness of the consequences of specific player choices. Once that is all achieved, then the game is ready to slowly take on greater enhancements, IMO anyway.

Last edited:
I agree with the opinion above in most parts, but let me add on a little from a different point of view.

First when we looked around AoD did look promising to us. Some new options are great, like giving the option to double or triple the IC in production to decrease the time of producing, the retooling and some stuff.

We used to play Axis, a Germany-Italy-Hungary co-op game. The main problem we found is in the economy. Every nation started to look for money, and it is quite impossible to make good deals without it. In HoI2 it was possible to spend the money on influence and than with time one could make good deals, that is what influence means. Since everybody makes money those countries with no resources are completely out of the market, since their supply has no worth anymore.

In HoI2 Germany should slow down because of the lot offer he received for energy, so that he could get other type of resources, now it is rare and since they want to give money but they do not have.

This new system is the death of good marketing, since money itself does not have worth basically. Until it was only good for spying and diplomatic matters it did not have effect on real economy. This is a war game not a bank simulator to make more money. Since the player (and not private sector) controls the IC, money is not needed to build tanks and ships, while supply, metal, oil, and rare materials do. The nation in this game is not the government, the player does not need money to buy things (he creates it by his IC), that is why there was "costumer goods need" (the people needed a part of the nations all IC that produces them food, clothes, furnitures, cars, radios etc.) and not taxation system. The player controls the IC itself and not the money the government gets from them through taxation. Also that is why in war times the IC needed by the civil part of economy is halved without dissent penalty, because the people are more tolerant to understand there is something missing from the shops in desperate times.

We all looked wondered that the Soviet Union does not have oil, and in peace time it is in -45,3 daily change, it is pathetic and sad.

My friends and myself are fond of Paradox games, but we all agree with Commander666 that the development should focus on playebility. HoI3 was a sad dissappointment, since our type of players wants to play the whole game and not forfeit of its experince to use parts of it by AI. We like complicated games, but HoI3 rather destroys the good athmosphere HoI2 made than improves it.

A new question altogether, so please relocate if I'm in the wrong thread or forum.

I'm at a point where I'd like to start tinkering, and one of the first things that I want to tinker with is the SR constraint on units. It strikes me as very peculiar that I can SR units into provinces adjacent to enemy units (and even into combat) but that I can't SR them out of provinces adjacent to enemy units. Is there a setting that I can amend to remove that constraint or is it going to be more complicated than that?

?

How do I delete save games, also how do I patch and mod AoD? Thanks.

Thanks mate but I can't register it. Downloaded it off of the gamestop website. Another thing is by, manually you mean opening the game folder, searching for save games, and deleting the files right? Again thanks.

Last edited:
Regardless where you bought the game, you should have a registration code (looks like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX); if you go onto your "My Games" page on this Forum site and enter that code, you get a shiny icon under your flag (and access to the Tech. support forum with beta patches and helpful advice and fixes and stuff).

Regardless where you bought the game, you should have a registration code (looks like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX); if you go onto your "My Games" page on this Forum site and enter that code, you get a shiny icon under your flag (and access to the Tech. support forum with beta patches and helpful advice and fixes and stuff).

Oh well I can't find it. Thanks for replying though.

Aw man, I just figured out (about a 2 weeks ago, just didn't feel like posting it) that the place I bought it from didn't come with the registration code, just the activation code.