[Solved] Need help - can't get the mods to work. Status: Desperate.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

M1502

Recruit
May 27, 2020
Hey there,

it's really not my first time I use mods on games, I modded a lot of games. But for some urge reason nothing I do makes it work on Battletech. Even Mods without ModTek requirement simply not showing up.

C:\User/.../Documents/MyGames/BattleTech/mods/

ModTek page says put mods here. I did. All mods have only one folder! so for example:

C:\User/.../Documents/MyGames/BattleTech/mods/Career_Extension

the mod files like the mod.json are showing up.

So I don't think it's a problem of layer.

When I put Modtek into the "mods" folder and double click the injector.exe nothing really happens. A short flash of a window but then it closes instant. Running as admin also don't help with that.

Then I found this guide:

He is putting the mods into the game data folder (steam, common etc...)

When I do this and run ModTek, Window is showing up, something is working, but no "success" Informations and programm gets closed after a few seconds.

I restartet my computer, also the game several times. Neither are mods showing up ingame in the mod menu, nor do I get a loading message of ModTek like some people describe.

The thing that I really don't understand: Like said I have one mod that really don't needs ModTek (checked this several times) and when I put this one in the

C:\User/.../Documents/MyGames/BattleTech/mods/

it should at least appear ingame or not?

I really hope someone has an idea or can help me with that. There are so many awesome mods I want to try out :/

thanks & regards

The "no time for explanations" answer:
- Only use ModTek, not vanilla, not Vortex or some other /&(%&§
- Put ModTek in the game-dirs /Mods/ folder, ignore the whole vanilla/Documents/whatever %&/%&$§
- It's "Mods/" not "mods/"
- Run the Injector (your description of behaviour with window open, doing stuff, closing without info is "correct" behaviour)
- Check if patching the game succeeded by looking in "(...)\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\Managed" for a "Assembly-CSharp.dll.orig"-file, that is the backup file if patching happened
- Take a simple mod, put it alongside ModTek in the Mods-folder
- Start game, should see a window from ModTek loading stuff
- In the Splash-Screen of BTG there should be a hint of ModTek right after the version number of BTG itself

If that doesn't work, please post exactly which step fails, i'll try to help.

The "no time for explanations" answer:
- Only use ModTek, not vanilla, not Vortex or some other /&(%&§

Nope, no Vortex. I downloaded ModTek 0.7.7.4 from GitHub

- Put ModTek in the game-dirs /Mods/ folder, ignore the whole vanilla/Documents/whatever %&/%&$§

Check

screen1.png

- It's "Mods/" not "mods/"

Yes, in the game-dir it's "Mods" in the documents dir it was "mods". Last one was allready there, the other one ("Mods") I had to create.

- Run the Injector (your description of behaviour with window open, doing stuff, closing without info is "correct" behaviour)

Check

screen3.png

- Check if patching the game succeeded by looking in "(...)\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\Managed" for a "Assembly-CSharp.dll.orig"-file, that is the backup file if patching happened

Check

screen2.png

- Take a simple mod, put it alongside ModTek in the Mods-folder

Mod were allready in the folder when I did run the injector, might this be the problem?

- Start game, should see a window from ModTek loading stuff

Nope, no window

- In the Splash-Screen of BTG there should be a hint of ModTek right after the version number of BTG itself

Sadly, nothing here, too

screen4.png

So looks like for some reason ModTek is injected but won't start with the game?

Thank you so far, I appreciate your help

The ModTek folder needs to be only "ModTek", NOT "ModTekAutoInjectorBlabla" AND it seem you have downloaded a (unknown to me) version which seems to be created to be used IN CONJUNCTION with the vanilla loader. You'd probably need "ModTek-0.7.7.4.zip" from the 0.7.7.4 Release, not the AutoInjector-Version.

So you have Mods/ModTek/* in the end, no autoinject, no fastinvoke version (both non-standard are unknown to me, i can understand your confusion..)

To be sure, delete "Assembly-CSharp.dll" and rename the .orig backup file to that name before the patching with the correct ModTek-Injector

Just WoW ...

Yes, problem was the name of the directory. Changing name to just "ModTek" fixed this.

Like said, I did modding before, so I tried this allready because I thought this may cause problems, but only on the "Documents/.../..." Location, not on the new Location.

And I have to say sry, because someone allready mentioned that on GitHub comment section, I just overlooked it:

I downloaded ModTek-0.7.7.4.zip from the "releases" page. This archive contains the directory "ModTek-0.7.7.4". So in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods I had the directory "ModTek-0.7.7.4". The injector worked fine. The game would not load ModTek on startup. Once I changed the directory to just "ModTek" the game would load ModTek as expected. Please either 1) include a note about the importance of the directory name in your wiki, or 2) change your app to allow different directory names for your files.

Thank you for all you have done for the Battletech community. I very much appreciate all of your hard work!

So when I launch the game, the ModTek Loading appears same for all mods in the mods section. I have no time yet to test it playing, but I think it should work now.

Thank you very much for your help!