• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Speaking as someone who once left his AAR for over a month without an update, I urge cautious optimism.

I still wait for the day when 'Sokot Europe' will be spelled out over the Old Continent, in an appropriately large font.

Speaking as someone who once left his AAR for over a month without an update, I urge cautious optimism.

I still wait for the day when 'Sokot Europe' will be spelled out over the Old Continent, in an appropriately large font.

As do I.

Is this dead, though? I've been following this and it would be a shame to see it gone.

Thank you profusely for the replies!

Shiggs713 - Many thanks for the kind words (your bribe is en route!). Consciousness is currently at 9.99 and the major effect of it thus far has been a growing problem with rebels. High militancy is to be expected regardless when engaging in so much conquest, people surprisingly unhappy at becoming part of the mighty Sokot Empire, thus I've not really seen any major effects from having such high consciousness. As with regards to politics Sokoto's citizens still understandably support the Conservative party strongly due to the wonderful bribes they offer. Uh, due to the brilliant track record of the party, that is.

alhoward - As stated at the beginning of the AAR (which is far too many months ago now!) Sokoto's only real goal is to paint all of Africa her incredibly fashionable pink. Beyond that she is simply attempting to conquer, uhm, liberate as much of the world as possible!

Zvetiki - You are quite right to bring up Sokoto's shamefully bent font in South America, a problem which is currently being addressed, as this update will show. Spain's cheek in daring to employ larger font than Sokoto will soon be punished too!

loki100 - How right you are! Thankfully the Sokot government recently ordered a few hundred gallons of pink paint and thus the northern hemisphere should soon begin to look rather more acceptable.

The Arch Mede - Exactly so! In closely monitoring the work of Sokoto's academics the government is making sure that no dangerous ideas gain support within Sokoto. It would be a catastrophe if ridiculous notions such as making taxes fairer, giving more power to commoners and so forth were to gain any support whatsoever.

Caezaire - Quite right. I'm still rather annoyed that Persia was added to my sphere due to that bug. Well, possibly due to that bug, I'm still not sure it wasn't due to poor play on my part. Regardless though, Sokot font will continue to grow in size!

GulMacet - Quite why anyone would choose a Caribbean paradise such as Haiti over the pink and incompetence obsessed Sokot Empire is truly baffling.

Anjwalker - The yellow is indeed Prussian Africa. As you'd expect Sokoto welcomes having such a neighbour, both Prussia and Sokoto on astoundingly good terms, it not as if Sokoto foiled Prussia's attempt to gain victory over Egypt some years before.

You are quite right that Sokoto's infamy is far too low, further liberation must be carried out as quickly as possible!

As for Japan she is one of the many neighbours Sokoto enjoys a great relationship with. As shown in Sokoto's aiding Brazil in this coming update, it is no surprise that Sokoto enjoys good relations with every one of her neighbours, thus annexation of Japan at present is not being considered!

aldriq - May 19th 2012 will ever remain one of my fondest memories, although I perhaps overdid the Sokotch! Which is just as well considering how well Hearts are doing in the league this season...

CFG9000 - Thank you profusely for the kind words (your bribe is in the post!). Onwards indeed!

Juan_de_Marco - But for a thousand years and more Sokoto will ever be considered the very definition of an enlightened and powerful Empire!

malevoiy - Exactly so!

Jape - Sadly for this forum, not quite gone yet!

Selzro - Thank you for the kind words (yet another bribe is on the way!). Thankfully that day draws ever closer.

rman96 - Not dead yet, although after reading this coming update you'll likely wish it was!

Ogrecrusher - Now, alas, there is!

A great many apologies to everyone, not for going so long without an update, but instead for subjecting the forum to my nonsense filled updates once again! The last few months proved ridiculously busy what with Hearts winning the Scottish Cup (I really did drink myself into a near coma celebrating), Euro 2012, the Olympics, a new job and worst of all a crippling virus on my computer which kept me off the forums (unfortunately for everyone concerned I do keep a backup of my AAR saves on a flashdrive, thus this AAR can continue!). Things have settled down now and my computer is now virus free, thus I've finally found time to begin updating once again I'm afraid to say. As such, onwards!

Last edited:
Chapter Thirty Two - fcuk

The Sokot government has long been of the view that bigger is better. In matters of font size, casualties suffered, army size (a large army badly needed so as to supply a steady stream of casualties), the size of the Empire and the bribes offered to secure fair election victories for the Conservative party this is unquestionably so.

Continuing in this line of thinking the government is beginning to appreciate that in matters of rebel numbers, war exhaustion and debt bigger may well be better too. After all the government has noted that all other Great Powers are seemingly attempting to attain high numbers of rebels, crippling war exhaustion and rampant debt. All other Great Powers which have come in to contact with Sokoto anyway.

As such the government immediately begin preparing for war, peace entirely undesirable, it will simply allow for Sokoto's fellow Great Powers to gain a further lead over her in these areas.

In identifying potential new foes the government need be very careful.

UP32-1.jpg

Having only recently agreed to a truce with Britain it would be amazingly poor form, not to mention near suicidal, to antagonise and risk a resumption of war with her by declaring against a nation she considers a friend. Not only would such a move alienate Sokoto internationally, it could well prove costly too due to the massive fleet Britain still has at her disposal.

With this in mind, the diplomats are sent forth.

UP32-2.jpg

They return several months later hobbling considerably, clearly in pain. Said pain having been caused after their delivering the deceleration of war, as they eagerly accepted the offer from their hosts to enjoy some Brazilians, knowing how attractive Brazilian women are. Sadly the Brazilians on offer were of the wax variety.

Whilst one group of diplomats was treated to hair free nether regions courtesy of the Brazilian government another was dispatched at the same time to the Ottoman Empire. Unfortunately this second group fared far less well as they have found it entirely impossible to locate the Ottoman capital of Istanbul, instead somehow ever ending up instead in Constantinople. Unable to thus deliver the deceleration of war in person, they had to resort to sending the deceleration in letter form;

"Dear so-called Ottoman 'Empire',

Being far smaller, far weaker and far more competent than us we feel you are giving Empires such as our own a bad name. Therefore so as to protect the reputation of enlightenment, power and liberation now associated with Empires the world over due to our excellent rule we feel it only right that we liberate your lands from your able command and transfer all power to ourselves. In an, uhm, enlightened way.

Yours enlightenedly and liberatingly,

The Great Empire of Sokoto"

Naturally it is not mere warmongering which has prompted Sokoto to issue these decelerations of war. Instead it is due to a sense of neighbourly duty that she has felt moved to aid Brazil via a deceleration of war, as she has watched with increasing alarm as Brazil has succumbed to another rebellion.

UP32-3.jpg

Sokoto is thus warring with Brazil so as to save her from the rebels, said rebels of course in no way caused by Sokoto's previous warring with Brazil. Therefore Sokoto will save Brazil from rebels and thereby promote the cause of rebellion within Brazil which will then require further bids to save Brazil from rebels by Sokoto in the future. Truly Sokoto is a most friendly and helpful neighbour.

Whilst Sokoto's forces begin the bloody and violent business of peacefully expanding the Empire, the government is given a worrying report.

UP32-4.jpg

An Arts & Letters club in a foreign country has begun stirring up trouble within Sokoto by distributing the pro-rebel novel 'Fifty One Shades of Grey'. Distribution of such a book clearly intended to promote rebellion, pink and green the only acceptable colours for a book to be based upon, the government hurriedly ban the book, whilst retaining a few copies for their personal enjoyment, much to the displeasure of housewives throughout the Empire.

A month later and the government is left horrified upon learning that yet more pro-rebel publications have begun circulating the Empire.

UP32-5.jpg

The publications in question, 'Knitting Weekly', 'The Beard Sculpting Review', and 'The Sokotsman' newspaper are quickly banned, such pro-rebel works entirely unacceptable. This especially true when there are so many good, factual and interesting publications already available such as 'Rebel Now!', 'Fight for Freedom', 'Guerrilla Warfare Daily' and 'News From The Wise And Brilliant Sokot Government Who Should Never Be Replaced'.

Much to the government's shock a number of Sokot citizens led by enraged middle aged women and angry facial hair aficionados have begun complaining about the lack of a free press within Sokoto following recent events. This has led to limp-wristed Liberal politicians quickly seizing upon the issue, demanding reform.

UP32-6.jpg

Quite why the citizens consider Sokoto a nation without free press when free speech is enjoyed by all, provided said speech is acceptable by the Conservative party's standards of course, is beyond the government. Nonetheless they reluctantly support the Liberal politicians bid to gain press reform, worried as many of the cabinet have become of refusing their wives the opportunity to read the rest of the Fifty One Shades series.

Still unwilling to bring about actual press reform, which is clearly not required, but knowing that some sop is needed to appease the masses the government hurriedly enact trinket subsidies.

UP32-7.jpg

Following this reform all those who are unemployed will have to subsidise the government by paying twenty five percent of whatever meagre income they are able to acquire. This a most fair new reform, the government are satisfied it will secure public support.

A week later and the government is left terrified by news of rebel activity in Brazil.

UP32-8.jpg

Seizure of the weapons cache has given the rebels possession of one of Sokoto's recently developed and devastatingly powerful Steel Breech-loading cannon, made from glass. The government's fear increases when they are informed that the rebels have test fired the cannon, which instantly exploded, scything down the majority of the rebel band.

In a bid to make sure that no other rebels can gain control of so powerful a weapon the frightened government hurriedly begin placing several more secret weapon caches throughout the Sokot Empire, heavily signposting the location of each such cache whilst also handing out maps detailing their locations to various rebel groups.

With war against both Brazil and the Ottomans progressing surprisingly well, both wars having become largely concerned with siege duty wherein Sokot soldiers are suffering horrendously in having to eat truly dreadful food, the Brazil nuts they are eating tasting especially odd, the diplomats are sent forth.

As Sokoto's target, France, is currently allied to a ludicrously strong nation the government approach the matter of declaring war upon her with great caution. If said ally was to join the war Sokoto would struggle greatly to achieve victory. Happily though upon learning that France is currently constructing the Statue of Liberty in a bid to strengthen her ties with the United States of America, the government formulate a plan to strengthen Sokoto's own ties with France by presenting to her their very own statue before any deceleration of war. In doing so the government hope that France will be so appreciative of the statue that they will only be mildly piqued upon receiving the deceleration of war, thereby refraining from calling upon their monstrously strong ally.

The plan set in motion, the government eagerly await the return of the diplomats.

UP32-9.jpg

The diplomats return a few days later shaken with fear, the presentation of Sokoto's statue to France not having gone especially well.

UP32-11.png

This cracking image of the Statue of Tyranny was created by my great friend Chocobo115.

As for some reason the French government is not particularly happy at being presented with Sokoto's kind gift of the majestic Statue of Tyranny.

Indeed so inexplicably angered are the French at receiving the magnificent Statue of Tyranny, they have instantly called upon the aid of their ridiculously powerful ally in this war, much to the dismay of the government. The government rightly fearing that it will likely prove impossible for Sokoto to overcome the mighty Belgium.

Thankfully though France has little of a standing army herself.

UP32-12.jpg

Thus with a great deal of luck victory may yet be salvaged if Belgium can somehow be defeated.

At least France has no other strong allies she can call upon.

UP32-13.jpg

[Something of a short update this one simply because I need pause here as I have to look out a clean pair of underwear, Britain's joining the war on France's side having proven something of an unwelcome surprise. I truly did not think Britain would be able to honour her alliance with France in this war due to her truce with Sokoto. This slight error on my part once again shows my great understanding of Victoria 2. This war may go rather badly as a result.]

Last edited:
yeah, its back, with the usual mix of superb game play and awful puns.

really impressed that Sokoto is now trying to ensure the title of 'Empire' is only reserved for proper empires ... so important to get the labels right

and oh whoopsies at the end

Sorry to hear about your computer. In the words of the immortal Al Yankovich, VIRUS ALERT! (Delete immediately before somone gets hurt!)

Looks like Sokoto may have bit off more than it can chew. That said you've sent the British goliath down in flames before.

Nice to see this back. Onward to bigger font sizes!

Also are you going to get some tanks to go with those glass cannons?

I wonder what put the French off. Was it the blood? The trampled tricolour underfoot?

loki100 - A great many thanks for the kind words (another bribe is en route!). Quite right regarding the 'Empire' business, Sokoto is entirely justified in making sure only the most deserving of nations are able to employ this most grand of titles.

'Whoopsies' is putting it extremely mildly! My jaw truly hit the floor when I noticed Britain had honoured her alliance with France. It made the war ever so slightly more difficult.

NapoleonComple - Thank you for the kind words regarding the virus (a bribe is in the post!), which proved hugely irksome. I've had near non-stop trouble with my computer in recent years, which is probably for the best as it gives the forum a rest from my drivel for a few months at a time!

Never mind the British goliath though, as ever Belgium remains the true threat in this war!

Ahriman - Many thanks for the kind words (a bribe is on the way!). Regarding the tanks, absolutely! Combining the explosive power of the glass cannon with the armour and movement provided by a tank will give Sokoto the deadliest weapon the world has ever seen.

Vaya con Queso - Thank you profusely for the kind words (another bribe is on the way!). The rebels are very worrying, were a rebellion to break out whilst Sokoto was engaged in a large war it would prove hugely difficult to deal with. Thankfully though it remains highly unlikely that any such rebellion will break out, those living within the Empire unsurprisingly delighted with the high taxes, incompetent rule and non-stop warfare they currently enjoy!

Xenophon13 - Thanks for the kind words (your bribe is on the way!). It truly is a most awesome piece of work, the fully functioning blood sprinkler system a particularly nice feature.

NapoleonComple - I can only imagine that they rejected the magnificient Statue of Tyranny due it overshadowing her own constructions such as the Arc de Triomphe!

Chapter Thirty Three - France used to have an Empire, then she took an arrow to the Pyrenees

As the government slowly recover from the horror of realising that Sokoto is now at war with the mighty Belgium they take consolation from the knowledge that at least both Sokoto's citizens and army stand united together, ready to fight valiantly for Sokoto in her toughest war yet.

UP33-1.jpg

Battle is met just over a week later.

UP33-2.jpg

As feared France is proving a most clever and resourceful foe, attacking as she is with newly mobilised reserves who have little by way of organisation and are without any artillery or cavalry support, in to easily defensible, fortified Sokot positions along the Pyrenees. Thankfully with the incredibly unlucky General Kabe in command Sokoto is sure to withstand this attack. It not as if having luck on your side is important in battle.

With battle met at Lerida, Britain begins her own offensive against Sokoto.

UP33-3.jpg

In a repeat of the cunning strategy that Britain employed to devastating effect in her previous war against Sokoto, which ended just over a year ago, she has attacked with another large force across the strait connecting Belfast and Glasgow, into the waiting guns of a large and easily reinforced Sokot army. In a further intelligent move she has wisely refrained from providing this attacking force with any naval support, it not as if the British navy is large enough to provide such support, and assigned but one artillery brigade to this attack force, this despite the commanding officer, General Beresford, being skilled in the use of artillery.

With both France and Britain opening the war with such stupendously effective and brilliant attacks it is all the government can do to stop themselves from instantly begging for peace. Thankfully they are given some cheer by news from the Pyrenees where France has continued her clever strategy of throwing forward disorganised reservists at easily defended mountainous positions.

UP33-4.jpg

It clear that France's attacking forces have little chance of victory in any of these battles, led as they are by overly competent and skilled officers such as the disciplined, innovative tactician Dupetit-Thouars, the genius Hamelin and the deeply religious Caillard. With a gallant bootlicker, a ludicrously unlucky general and a shockingly unqualified officer leading Sokoto's forces at least here victory seems assured.

A week later and the government is given some most unwelcome news from Belfast.

UP33-5.jpg

Whilst pleased with this victory the government cannot help but worry that this is the start of repeat of Sokoto's last war against Britain in which Britain triumphed comfortably, suffering far more casualties than Sokoto. In truth though the government has to concede that there is little the Sokot army can do but capture and cause as many casualties to British troops as possible in such a battle. This the most humane option available, it saves as many Brits as possible from having to retreat back into Scotland, a far worse fate.

There is little surprise a few weeks later when Sokoto secures a number of victories along the Pyrenean front.

UP33-6.jpg

Even with the astoundingly clever strategy France has adopted in this war her forces had little chance of success when led by such competent and able officers, incompetence always triumphant in the end. Unsurprisingly too Britain instantly launched another unsuccessful attack on Belfast with her recently routed troops, said troops greatly preferring the carnage of battle to residing within Scotland for any length of time.

A few days later and the government is left baffled when told of Sokoto's convincing victory at Lerida.

UP33-7.jpg

Having noticed that her initial attack with newly mobilised reservists upon Sokoto's easily defended position in Lerida was struggling, France made the intelligent decision to hurry forward yet more disorganised reservists to support the attack, whilst continuing to withhold any artillery or cavalry support. Having employed such an audacious strategy it is a wonder that she has met with defeat.

Whilst Sokoto's forces continue to desperately repulse French and British attacks, all the while keeping a wary eye out for the much feared Belgians, the government is given some welcome news from Niger.

UP33-8.jpg

As hoped for Niger is proving a highly useful new colony from which to ruthlessly attack and ravage neighbouring French colonies. Uh, that is, as hoped for Niger is proving a highly useful new colony which has led to a strengthening of Sokoto's relationship with France, France unsurprisingly delighted to share another border with Sokoto.

Having identified a Prussian colony in South Cameroon the government hurriedly order the colonisation of the neighbouring Bangui region. Hopeful as they are that such a colony will lead to a similar strengthening of Sokoto's relationship with Prussia, as the colonisation of Niger has provided with regards to France.

Whilst Sokot citizens begin escaping in their droves to the newly founded colony of Bangui, the risk of starvation, attack by natives and drought experienced in colonial life inexplicably considered preferable to life within provinces ruled by the Conservative party, research of 'Mechanical Production' comes to an end.

UP33-9a.jpg

Happily the new technology has had the desired effect of making countless thousands of the common riff-raff unemployed, machines taking their place within factories. With the newly passed trinket unemployment subsidy reform now in place, the government stand to benefit considerably.

Research of 'Inorganic Chemistry' begins next, the government convinced by the academics that research of such technology will lead to countless breakthroughs for Sokoto. Breakthroughs such as the creation of an artificial fertiliser, made from rocks, the discovery of how to make nitroglycerin, which can be used to rainproof Sokot army uniforms and the discovery of rubber vulcanisation, for which the Prime Minister has taken a particular interest, wishing as he does to own a number of rubber latex suits for his own personal use.

A week later and the government is left with no choice but to strip the perfidious Abdullah Kabe and Daud Rumfa of their respective commands.

UP33-10.jpg

In appointing both men to the front the government had hoped that their supposed bad luck would bring Sokoto an acceptable amount of casualties in battle. It now clear following these recent victories that both are anything but horribly unlucky, the government hurriedly remove both deceitful officers from command.

Whilst Britain continues to make repeated failed attacks on Belfast, correctly having identified such attacks as her only chance of victory, it not as if she has a large fleet with which she could begin landing troops anywhere along Sokoto's long, undefended coast, the government is given wondrous news.

UP33-12.jpg

In Sokoto's first engagement with the Belgian behemoth in this war she has somehow emerged the victor. al-Hajj is instantly lauded the Empire over, his managing to secure victory against the Belgian superpower when all he had in his favour was a plentiful supply of reinforcements, an easily defensible, fortified position and a huge advantage in cannon, a truly astonishing achievement.

The government is given welcome news a few days later as they learn that the French people have begun rebelling.

UP33-13.jpg

Reports that the rebels have taken up arms in a desperate bid to stave off impending Sokot occupation of France clearly ridiculous lies, the Sokot government are happy that they will be able to work well with the 'Keep the Tyrannical Sokoto out of France' rebel band.

Whilst Sokot forces struggle to defeat repeated French and British attacks, France and Britain's ingenuity in continuing to throw forward disorganised reservists at easily defended Sokot positions unsurprisingly proving difficult for Sokoto to deal with, the government is informed that a colony in Niamey has been established.

UP33-14.jpg

With Niamey proving disappointingly lacking in fancy dress shops and resources which allow for the exploitation of common oiks through backbreaking labour, the government is forced to instantly begin the colonisation of Massenya. That is to say, with Niamey proving disappointingly lacking in fancy dress shops and resources which provide for the employment of much cherished commoners through easy and relaxing labour, the government is forced to instantly begin the colonisation of Massenya. They can only hope that Massenya will prove a land more rich in resources.

As yet more Sokot citizens begin escaping to the newly founded colony of Massenya the government is given a welcome report from Glasgow.

UP33-14a.jpg

Having defeated countless British attacks upon Belfast the Sokot army stationed in Ireland was forced to accept the unpalatable fact that they need advance into the British mainland if they were ever to achieve victory. It was with great reluctance that they thus marched into Scotland, Britain understandably failing to block their crossing the strait from Belfast into Glasgow, her navy busy with far more important matters such as hiding in port.

Battle was soon met just outside of Glasgow with the remaining British forces guarding the Isles. Sokoto's forces were soon able to secure victory over the larger of said British forces as the British army was left rather distracted by constant attacks from drunken Glaswegians who proved a rather more tougher foe than Sokoto's troops.

A few days later and the last sizeable force in the British mainland is defeated.

UP33-14b.jpg

In a desperate bid to defeat Sokoto's invasion of the mainland Britain appointed her very best officer to command of her troops, the greatly skilled General No Leader. Rumfa only able to defeat his talented opponent due to his enjoying an overwhelming advantage in numbers.

With the last of Britain's forces upon the Isles now defeated the Sokot troops begin the harrowing business of besieging the now undefended British mainland. Many soldiers soon left suffering from grevious injuries such as bruised shins due to their attempting the manly English pursuit of Morris dancing in a bid to alleviate the boredom of siege duty.

Whilst Sokoto's troops suffer dreadfully as they besiege mainland Britain the government is left hugely relieved by reports from France.

UP33-15.png

Against all the odds Sokoto has somehow survived France's repeated attacks with newly mobilised reserves upon her easily defended positions along the Pyrenees. With the majority of the French army now decimated Sokot troops begin pushing forward into France.

With most of France's troops now defeated, her allies Britain and the mighty Belgium struggling, and with Sokoto's forces advancing all along the line into France the government is suddenly given hugely worrying news. France has apparently been active on the diplomatic scene in the last few days, likely calling upon the aid of another ally in a desperate bid to swing the war back in her favour. The government can only hope that France has not called upon the aid of another monstrously powerful ally such as Luxembourg.

UP33-16.jpg

Oh. Instead of calling upon the aid of an ally France has instead declared war upon Italy whilst her lands are under siege and the majority of her army has either been defeated or is in retreat.

But of course.

With such skill in diplomacy it is likely that France will yet emerge victorious from this war.

Last edited:
glad to see Glasgow playing such a vital part in a war between Sokoto and the UK ... and do agree, you were quite correct to identify the massed ranks of the Belgian army as your primary foe.

France is obviously very content with the cunning plan to lure you into a serious trap ... so confident that it can cope with a small additional war on the side.

While I can understand your PM wants to try out the vulcan rubber suits (purely to reduce mosquito bites I assume) has he considered how good it would be to have a set of rubber vulcan ears made at the same time?

We should murder you for that Pyrenees gag. :laugh: Excellent as always.

And come on, Scotland isn't that vio- (gets bottled over the head in the supposed safety of his living room).

"Oi! Watch that ya galoot! Right, that does it, I've got a claymore for you here Jimmy!"

(One moment folks).

It's back! Brilliant! :D

France is clearly a warmonger, whose nefarious designs on Italy were promptly identified by Sokoto, necessitating the launching of this pre-emptive war to contain it.

loki100 - Belgium truly is nigh on unstoppable! Once again in this update the incredible power of her army is shown.

How right you are too with regards to France launching her war upon Italy as part of a cunning trap, the trap to bring Britain further into the war, as this update will show.

Some Vulcan ears sound a cracking idea, definitely something the academics will next have to begin working upon.

NapoleonComple - Thank you for the kind words (another bribe is en route!).

"Sorry, I just meant to 'pass' you the bottle, put the claymore down!"

Xenophon13 - Many thanks for the kind words (yet another bribe is in the post!).

Selzro - A great many thanks for the kind words (another bribe is on the way!).

How right you are, France's conduct has been utterly deplorable, hence why Sokoto had to step in and declare war upon her in the first place!

Chapter Thirty Four - Entente Uncordiale

Whilst war with Britain and France continues the government is given some worrying domestic news.

UP34-2.jpg

Rich capitalists have become rightly concerned following a series of demonstrations by ludicrously unreasonable socialist agitators who are demanding ridiculous changes to working conditions. Changes such as an end to the current twenty hour working day, the implementation of paltry minimum wages and the introduction of some basic health and safety rules. Such demands clearly outrageous the Conservative party nonetheless dissuade the capitalists from forming a citizen guard. A few army brigades sent to 'persuade' the workers to reconsider their demands instead.

As Sokot army brigades begin pacifying workers who dared to make reasonable demands for changes to their working conditions the full wisdom of France's decision to declare war upon Italy soon becomes clear.

UP34-3.jpg

France's attack upon the far larger Italian army stationed in Lyon is surprisingly defeated a few days later.

UP34-4.jpg

The recently routed and utterly demoralised French force make the intelligent decision to instantly march to Valence, where they can be easily surrounded and annihilated by waiting Sokot and Italian units, in support of another struggling French army. Italy's force in Lyon is given no chance to capitalise on their victory over France however, as they instantly flee the advance of a sizeable force of Belgium's much feared army.

As is now obvious in attacking Italy France is displaying the same brilliance in the field of diplomacy as she has in the field warfare. Doubtless she will achieve victory soon.

A month later and the matter of women's suffrage once again gains national prominence.

UP34-5.jpg

With the issue of women's suffrage ever a pressing concern for a party as interested in political equality as the Conservatives, it having become an even more pressing concern recently due to a number of the cabinet ministers having noticed their grandmothers wielding knitting needles in a particularly unsettling manner since the Convention's start, they give the Convention's resolutions their complete support. Promising as they do to create a number of committees which will study how best to offer women the vote as quickly as possible, with reports due back from the committees as soon as the Conservatives leave office.

The government is left terrified by reports from Brazil months later.

UP34-7.jpg

Instead of making use of the naval dominance France is currently enjoying to transport her large army in South America back home in a desperate bid to save France from occupation by Sokot and Italian forces, she has instead wisely decided to use said large army to free Brazil. The army suffering attrition as it marches into the inhospitable jungles of northern Brazil.

This an entirely understandable move on France's part, saving Brazil clearly more important than saving her own homelands, it does make Sokoto's occupation of Brazil considerably more difficult. Nevertheless the government is determined to fight on against Brazil, Sokoto's forces in the area more than a match for France's. There is absolutely no way that Sokoto will end her war with Brazil before she has accomplished her war goals. To bow out of the war now would be an act of unspeakable cowardice.

UP34-8.jpg

It will never happen. Definitely not. Ahem.

Much to the government's annoyance the cartographers have failed to straighten out Sokoto's font in South America, this despite the recent gains allowing for Sokot pink to penetrate deep within Brazil. The Prime Minister is left sorely disappointed by this lack of change in font but as he explains to the cabinet, he too often has trouble keeping things straight following penetration.

With most of France's forces now vanquished Sokot troops begin the horrifying task of besieging France.

UP34-9.jpg

Countless soldiers are soon left feeling dreadfully ill upon being told that what they thought were frogs legs and snails, which they had been eating with gusto whilst on siege duty, are in truth caviar and truffles. The soldiers left understandably sick following this revelation, caviar and truffles disgusting and unacceptable food which only uncouth barbarians and peasants would consider eating.

As Sokot soldiers suffer dreadfully whilst besieging France the government is given the worrying news that there is still a reasonably large French army stationed within Europe. Rather than attempting to save France from occupation by Sokoto and Italy, France's remaining forces in Europe are instead hiding in the safest place for them at present; Italy.

UP34-10.jpg

This a most intelligent move, France's launching this daring attack upon Italy in a bid to win a war which will provide France with few benefits in comparison to saving her lands from devastation at the hands of Sokoto and Italy a truly inspired decision.

With Sokoto's mighty navy currently resting in port, a number of Sokot ships currently undergoing repairs after a slight breeze caused them to fall apart, the French and British navies are enjoying uncontested control of the seas.

UP34-11.jpg

Thankfully the blockade they have been able to enforce upon Sokoto due to this naval dominance has had little effect, all of Sokoto unsurprisingly blissfully happy under the government's wondrous rule, rebels as ever not a concern.

A month later and with the blockade still in place, the government and army now slightly worried upon learning that supplies of tigerskin shakoes have reached perilously low levels, the government is left hugely uneasy following reports from Italy.

UP34-13.jpg

Having seemingly finally realised that besieging Italy rather than defending their homelands, which are busy being ravaged by marauding Sokot and Italian troops, is perhaps not the best course of action, the bulk of France's forces within Italy have suddenly marched back into France. Advancing past numerous small Sokot and Italian detachments, which said French force could easily crush, the French army instead proceeded into the middle of France, where most Sokot and Italian troops are based. The force somehow managing the impressive achievement of suffering attrition during this march despite traveling through their homelands.

Upon reaching the French midlands the army's impressive march was brought to a swift end as it was surrounded by combined Sokot and Italian forces, whereupon the army was defeated. The government is left baffled upon learning that the gifted French officer who led this astonishingly successful advance is considered incompetent.

With both the government and army left applauding the brilliant campaign of manoeuvre mounted by the talented General Gouraud, there is relief for both when a Sokot force at last proves itself the equal of the French army for the first time in this war a few days later.

UP34-14.jpg

In having so successfully emulated British and French tactics in attacking a vastly superior force who have more artillery and enjoy a strong defensive position, Sokoto is at last making her mark upon this war. General Abasama commended by all for his intelligence and skill in launching so devastating an attack.

A month later and research of 'Inorganic Chemistry' comes to an end.

UP34-15.jpg

As hoped research of 'Inorganic Chemistry' has quickly led to numerous breakthroughs for Sokoto, with rock based artificial fertiliser proving highly effective, whilst Sokot troops have given their full approval to the use of nitroglycerin to rainproof their uniforms. It an unintended but entirely welcome side effect that following said rainproofing the uniforms of a large number of soldiers have begun exploding in to flames at random. This entirely desirable, for as it is said; "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

The academics next begin researching 'Interchangeable Parts' at the request of both the army and navy. Both bodies interested in the creation of self-assembly kits for forts, cannon, trenches and ships. Such self-assembled constructions likely to prove highly durable, robust and easy to carry.

A couple of days later and the government is left dumbfounded upon being informed of a French uprising in Sokot Perpignan.

UP34-16.jpg

Quite what could be annoying any French citizen living within the Empire entirely mystifying.

Three days later and a frightening report is delivered to the government as they learn that Britain has made an amphibious landing somewhere within the Empire. With the war now well in to it's second year and this the first landing attempted by Britain despite her having enjoyed naval dominance throughout this time, it is clear that this landing has been meticulously planned. Doubtless Britain has landed a large force in a cleverly chosen position so as to exploit a weakness in Sokoto's defences, thereby winning the war.

UP34-17.jpg

As the government feared this is exactly the case. Ignoring choice targets such as Sokoto's scarcely defended capital, or an attempted rescue of the British Isles, Britain has instead cleverly landed a large force in Sokot Italy. The very same Sokot Italy which Britain's year long blockade has left near worthless in terms of importance to Sokoto.

The large force that Britain has landed here is indeed so large that it is currently suffering from attrition, the land unable to support so many men. The government is unsurprised to note that Britain has appointed one of her very best officers to command of this vitally important attack, the great General Douglas Hope leading this British force with the same skill he displayed when leading over seventy thousand British troops to defeat in Glasgow months before. With such skilled leadership this daring landing will likely soon bring about Sokoto's defeat.

With Britain's amphibious landing upon Sokot Italy having proven as devastatingly effective as the government feared, Britain having acquired a whole 0.1 war score following occupation of a province there whilst losing thousands of men to attrition in the process, the government is forced to hurriedly agree to peace. Britain continues to prove a fantastic ally to France as she happily and selflessly surrenders much of France's African holdings so as to bring the war to an end.

UP34-19.jpg

Alongside Britain's highly effective occupation of Sokot Italy the government was further prompted to seek peace with the British led coalition following the sighting of a sizeable Belgian force in Dijon. As Belgium's crack army is more than capable of defeating all of Sokoto's forces combined the government dared not let the war continue any longer.

The peace deal has significantly lessened France's presence in Africa, Sokoto gaining control of much of the northwest. With so much of Africa now coloured pink there is another welcome extension of Sokoto's font much to the Prime Minister's delight. The cabinet having expected this increase in font size they prepared for it in advance by evacuating all women, pot plants and couches from the Prime Minister's residence before informing him of the increase.

UP34-20.jpg

With rebel numbers on the rise, militancy ever growing as Sokoto's citizens have surprisingly become tired of non-stop warfare, the government nonetheless consider this war a resounding success. Teetering on the brink of rebellion Sokoto may be, but her font is now covering even more of Africa.

Last edited: