• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some very fine work here, as always. Japan seems to be much more of a pushover than I expected -- any thoughts as to why?

Are you aiming for WD? Woah. Quite a challenge.

Some very fine work here, as always. Japan seems to be much more of a pushover than I expected -- any thoughts as to why?

Maybe the Sokot Soldiers hugged them to death? Or because they were using katanas against rifles?

The government know that when taking on a nation with such a strong army and proud military history as Japan, Sokoto need employ the very best of her troops if she is to have any chance of success. Hence why the loss of nearly all of the Sokot fleet as it limped towards Japan is well receieved by the government. Such losses clearly planned so as to weed out the weak and having nothing to do with horrific Sokot shipbuilding.

superb bit of social darwinianist logic there

despite the threat of this greek upstart (I mean what do they know about poetry) it does look like Sokoto is by far and away the world leader in both prose and poetry ... & wars on 3 continents at the same time --- deeply impressed

Are you colonising anywhere? and what parts of Japan and Spain have you claimed?

My only question is how the hell do you pay for all those wars? Employing all those new subjects in "creative workshops"?

After a while, the cost of war is a bump in the road...

Sokoto's soldiers fighting with a desperate fury, wishing to avoid having to retreat to the ships.

Quality.

With the last of Japan's forces in Kyushu now defeated, Sokoto's troops begin the terrifying task of besieging the island, many quickly succumbing to dreadful injuries as a result of this siege duty. Dreadful injuries such as paper cuts suffered as they attempt to master oragami in an effort to pass the time during horror filled siege duty.

The horrors that these brave men saw will never truly be understood. They bleed, friends...but they bleed for Sokoto.

Ive noticed north america and australia have been untouched by Sokot incompetence... This has to change

Thank you profusely for the replies!

naggy - You can't beat some good, old strait-blocking. I certainly like your idea for Sokoto's diplomats!

Avindian - Thank you for the kind words (your bribe is en route!). In honesty I was rather surprised that Japan had so weak a navy, I would never have dared declare war against her had it been otherwise. Without employing the strait-blocking strategy this war would have been nigh on impossible.

wzhang29 - I don't think world domination possible, if only because I doubt I will have anywhere near enough diplomatic points to achieve it. Thus I am instead simply attempting to paint as much of the world pink as possible, bringing all of Africa under Sokoto's rule a priority!

MrHouse - I definetly think the hugging had something to do with it! I do rather like that Japan's sprites in V2 wield katana rather than rifles, it shows how hardcore they are.

loki100 - Without a doubt Sokoto leads the way in terms of poety. She has gained her considerable prestige due to poetic work, it certainly isn't via poorly handled warfare!

Tanzhang (譚張) - As the last update should have showed, although my writing is rather muddled, I'm currently colonising the remaining part of Mocambique. It isn't a very good position for a colony but my options were rather limited without machine guns and N&I. This update will show which lands I've gained from Japan, as for Spain I've demanded the province of Vasconia-Aragon from them thus far, which will, of course, give me a direct land border with mainland France. War with the strongest Great Powers will soon begin!

MrHouse - Very much as naggy has stated, conquest fuels conquest! I've reached the part of the game where, barring anymore major disasters such as my recruiting far too many guard brigades at once, my economy is more than strong enough to survive perpetual war. Gaining the rich lands of Italy, Spain and so forth has made this possible, as too has my industrialisation which I will go in to in greater depth in the next overview, which will be the next update. Suffice to say wineries and liquor distilleries make a ridiculous amount of money!

Fyregecko - Their sacrifice is not in vain. Due to their courage in suffering through such horrific conditions Sokoto has gained many rich new lands, as this update shows.

SiikFajitas - I cannot agree more. Sokoto need bring incompetence and her wonderful shade of pink to every corner of the world!

aldriq - I had not even planned upon warring with Japan until I noticed how weak her navy was. As you've said, sadly the AI is simply not very good when it comes to handling naval matters, although it is still far better than myself of course! I cannot agree more regarding the CB, Paradox really need introduce more.

Chapter Twenty Two - Ninja Looting

Whilst Japan is busy leading her forces to defeat in Kyushu the government is given some hugely worrisome news.

UP22-1.jpg

Prussia gaining a direct land border with Sokoto would not be a great thing due to the peaceful Sokoto being inexplicably considered an infamous, warmongering nation. Thankfully though Prussia has not learned from her previous war with Egypt, wherein Prussia demanded Farfara despite having no means to access the province. As once again her cartographers are proving themselves the equal of Sokoto's, having somehow overlooked the fact that annexation of Egypt is quite impossible when Kaf is completely inaccessible to them.

Domestic matters demand the government's attention a month later.

UP22-2.jpg

The government handles the issue of widespread unemployment amongst the poor with their usual tact, blithely ignoring the issue. The government instead focus upon the far more important matter of further lowering taxes for the rich. Quite why people think the ruling Conservative government favour the rich is entirely inexplicable.

[In truth I am attempting to increase militancy so that I can pass some more political reforms. Universal Weighted Voting has become the second most important issue for the population, to the detriment of support for jingoism. Thus I need the militancy so as to be able to pass this reform.]

There is pleasing news from Sokoto's academics at the turn of the year as they report that they have finally completed their translation of road signs in Lindi. They are now happy that 'Green Street' and 'New Road' translate into 'Pinkbluewithahintofgold Street' and 'Slightlyold Road' in Hausa. Having completed this vital work the government order them to begin research into 'Machine Guns'.

UP22-3.jpg

The research is completed just over two weeks later. The academics working with surprising speed having become, like most of the population, appalled by how dreadfully the Sokot army preforms in comparison to all other major powers. War with Japan the latest proof that Sokoto's army is nowhere near the standard required of a Great Power, Sokoto's army suffering far too few casaulties in comparison. The academics merely hope that machine guns, with their potential to cause massive friendly fire casaulties, will help to address this pressing concern.

Research is next begun into 'Nationalism and Imperialism'. The government keen to see this research completed as they wish to promote support for nationalism and thus love for the nation and all it entails, especially the ruling government. The government supporting research into imperialism as a useful method to ensure the continued growth of the nation, increased font sizes remaining a priority.

Fear grips the country a few months later as reports filter through that Spain has made an amphibous landing somewhere within the Empire. It seems likely Spain has made an audacious landing near Sokoto's capital, intent upon capturing the city and ending the war. Or perhaps she has landed a large force in mainland Spain, wishing to defeat the many Sokot forces busy besieging her nation.

UP22-4.jpg

No, Spain has landed a small force in Sokot Italy. This ingenious move will doubtless bring about Sokoto's defeat.

The government is given some very welcome news from Japan a few months later.

UP22-5.jpg

In a brilliant display of courage, tenacity and shockingly incompetent stupidity the Japanese army has at last lost the bulk of her forces, having spent more than two years sending her reserve brigades into Kyushu whilst knowing said brigades cannot be reinforced once they enter the island due to continued blocking of the straits by Sokoto's mighty navy. Sokoto's army can only salute such a stupendous performance and hope that one day they too can reach such heights of ineptness. With Japan's forces at last crushed Sokoto's troops can finally move from Kyushu into mainland Japan.

A few months later and the government is left horrified by a display of wholly unjustified warmongering as France declares war upon stricken Spain.

UP22-6.jpg

The government cannot understand why a nation would declare war upon a struggling neighbour for no good reason whatsoever, such behaviour clearly unacceptable.

Wishing to stand alongside Spain, the government quickly agree that Spain will receive nothing but aid from Sokoto in her war against perfidious France.

UP22-7.jpg

It is then a slight pity that Spain's troops struggle when given some helpful 'training' by Sokoto's forces.

In rather more positive news the government finally agrees peace with Japan after more than two years of war.

UP22-8.jpg

The government is reasonably happy with these considerable new gains. The peace deal securing rich industialised lands, a strategically useful foothold in Asia and millions of new citizens for sokoto. However the lack of any new font does make the government wonder if this war was worth all the effort.

Thankfully the cartographers quickly understand the government's displeasure and rush to rectify matters, peace with Chile allowing for this a couple of months later.

UP22-9.jpg

Their font cravings satifised for the moment, the government turn their attention to domestic matters once more.

UP22-10.jpg

With huge reluctance the government pass the 'Weighted Universal' voting reform, acceding to the growing demands of the public for said reform as they do so. Thankfully the wiser members of society, the Conservative voting rich, do retain most power under this voting system but the government is still dismayed at having to share the vote with common peasants. It is, the government reflects, a sad state of affairs when a democratically elected government is actually expected to abide by the wishes of the electorate.

The despondancy of the government is slightly lifted a few months later as peace is agreed with Argentina, this leading to an increase in Sokoto's font size in South America once again.

UP22-11.jpg

Naturally, as this peace deal shows, Sokoto requested only a meagre payment from her great ally Argentina after saving her from Chilean aggression. Argentina is doubtless delighted to have such a steadfast friend and ally in Sokoto.

Last edited:
If Bolivia and Chile were taken out of the picture the map would be perfect :D

What are your wargoals against Spain? You can't take anymore of their homeland without bordering France or the UK, so I assume you're going after one or more of their colonies (Though at this rate you'll end up owning their entire former empire).

I can't believe it's only 1871! The game's not even halfway through yet, and I'm looking forward to seeing just how far Sokoto can go.

That border with france is coming soon: Taza > western sahara > inner mauretania. You'll have to start preparing for war with France, no matter if you try to colonize and shut them out of africa, or let them come on into africa. The real game has only just begun.

I hope a war with Bolivia is on the cards, I can barely tell where Sokoto ends and Bolivia begins!

Nice to see you're finally researching N&I, if you did so back when I told you you would've been colonising by now! Good luck fighting off whichever European GP stupid enough to declare war on you!

I want to see real casualties. Invade Britain.

jointheguards.png

Or whatever a person from Sokoto is called...