• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Remember that France doesn't have cores on their locations in Africa. If she is removed there early enough (before they invent Imperialism), who's to say she will even have the range to colonize? Of course, this basically means skipping every other tech and only taking RP increasing techs and (after adopting military-industrial complex) the military techs. :) Question remains: are you in for a WC?

Remember that France doesn't have cores on their locations in Africa. If she is removed there early enough (before they invent Imperialism), who's to say she will even have the range to colonize? Of course, this basically means skipping every other tech and only taking RP increasing techs and (after adopting military-industrial complex) the military techs. :) Question remains: are you in for a WC?

They'll have the range to reach the Western Sahara from metropolitan France, and will probably pick up Madagascar too before too long, which will give them the range to reach the Horn of Africa and the surrounding area.

Added to that, in order to kick them off the continent you'd have to beat them in a few wars, which would be tricky at this stage.

They'll have the range to reach the Western Sahara from metropolitan France, and will probably pick up Madagascar too before too long, which will give them the range to reach the Horn of Africa and the surrounding area.

Added to that, in order to kick them off the continent you'd have to beat them in a few wars, which would be tricky at this stage.

Didn't Sokoto take Madagascar a while back?

Excellent! Now Sokoto can bring other uncivilized country into its realm with lees infamy, not that sokoto ever cared about foreign relations

I missed this one ...
Impressive as always with morningsider's AARS!
Now that you are recognized as a world power , you should convince the ungrateful natives to enlist in the mighty sokot armies!

That's not what "Publishing Industry" mean!

It has nothingto do with books!

I know that in the game all it does is unlock Regular Clothing, but is the above statement really true? I thought publishing industry was pretty much all about books, printed media etc. :unsure:

Anyway, impressive progress with Sokoto! I look forward to the day that you'll be fighting one of the major European powers (not counting the Ottomans here). Or better yet, the USA - or China!

I know that in the game all it does is unlock Regular Clothing, but is the above statement really true? I thought publishing industry was pretty much all about books, printed media etc. :unsure:

Anyway, impressive progress with Sokoto! I look forward to the day that you'll be fighting one of the major European powers (not counting the Ottomans here). Or better yet, the USA - or China!

Publishing Industry or the "putting out" system was a pre-industrial mode of production, basically the merchant would go around handing out the raw materials (mainly for clothing) to people at home, then come back and get the finished products later.

Thank you profusely for the replies!

loki100 - Exactly. The Ottomans have nothing to fear from her new peace loving neighbour except for embarrassment in the fields of fashion and poetry where Sokoto is clearly superior!

Tanzhang (譚張) - Exactly why I went for Lebanon! I need to deal with the Ottomans at some point and I'd rather do so before they become stronger via taking yet more of Egypt. War with them is going to be very tough though, even with Sokoto's supremely skilled generals!

With regards to my tech choice, they generally are pretty odd. I need to get some research completed into military techs since it is warfare which will be my primary concern over the next few years and my likely enemies are all well ahead of me in this regard, hence my choice! I went with artillery and tactics (as you'll see in this update), simply because I've found they make such a difference early on. I'll certainly be getting rifles soon!

Many thanks for the congratulations and rest assured I remain terrified of the possible containtment wars!

Juan_de_Marco - I couldn't have put it better myself! As you'll see in this update the Ottomans thankfully took the bait. They are still going to prove a very difficult enemy though.

Sybot - Whilst certainly weaker than Britain or France the Ottomans are still a considerable foe but one I should be okay to deal with (emphasis on the 'should'). As for Britain and France, I'll end up fighting them sooner or later (I hope later though!).

Vaya con Queso - Quite so! I did exactly that and hopefully the Ottomans will obligingly march large stacks into the attrition causing desert.

NapoleonComple - Exactly! Sokoto securing more desert is a good thing; it will cause attrition to her enemies and her men. Casaulties for her men equating in greater glory!

As for Tunisia you are quite right, I'll be keeping far away from any potential borders with a fellow GP for the foreseeable future.

Surt - Many thanks for the kind words (your bribe is en route), I'm very glad you approve!

Tanzhang (譚張) - Many, many thanks for the award (yet another bribe is in the post!), I greatly appreciate it! As you say, Nejd isn't hugely useful when I am not planning on creating any real navy, but her deserts do make a good attrition causing trap for the Ottomans!

Rae - It doesn't work with artillery only armies?! No wonder I've been losing so many cannon...

Yes, the border with the Ottomans was entirely planned and in no way a mistake. *cough* As for Sokoto's industry, it shall expand quickly! As an alcohol loving Scotsman, I've taken her industry in entirely the right direction.

TonyJoe - Thank you for the kind words (your bribe is in the post), glad you are following this! You are quite right regarding European colonisation, I have to strengthen Sokoto considerably before it happens. Thankfully that seems well under way!

Rizulica - Would that I could! Unfortunately Sokoto starts with very few of her primary Hausa culture, I have a mere 650,000 at present, thus I am well off being able to support any more NF. Without said NF my own colonisation efforts are doomed to be paltry, although I'll certainly try to cut off as much potential land as possible!

Caezaire - How right you are! The diplomats have been instructed to begin teaching others how to swim (being very experienced in swimming themselves), Sokoto will soon have a wall of swimmers cutting off any potential colonisation!

Dewirix - It certainly will become hair-raising all too quickly! You are quite right regarding the Ottomans, repeated wars against them will cost me. I think if I can secure a good peace deal with them, take some provinces, this should dissuade them from future declerations of war though. Hopefully anyway, or I am in a lot of trouble!

Derahan - Nay my good man, pink and green power!

Juan_de_Marco - I not entirely sure if WC is feasible with Sokoto. I really don't have the power to deal with another GP at present and likely won't for a long time until I can support more brigades and my technology is looking a bit better. I'll certainly attempt to conquer as much land as possible though!

Plus as Dewirix has kindly pointed out, stopping France from any colonisation at all is nigh on impossible, especially since I have few NF, I cannot even cut them off from land via my own colonisation. I will though do my very best to kick them out of Africa!

SiikFajitas - Indeed Sokoto can! Clearly too every other nation in the world is desperate to be added to Sokoto's sphere and thus be associated with so great a power!

sprites - Many thanks for the kind words (another bribe is in the post!), very glad to have you following this. Rest assured the natives will quickly be recruited into Sokoto's armies! Indeed, they are doubtless desperate to enlist following the example of Sokoto's brilliantly able officers!

Alexanderband - A great many thanks for the kind words (your bribe is en route!). I can certainly promise you I will be warring with as many nations as possible (likely attacked by them!)!

Chapter Ten - With Great Power Comes Great Incompetence​

With Sokoto now westernised, and correctly thought of as a civilised nation, she could industralise. Having paid her long suffering troops next to nothing for the last few months Sokoto had more than enough money to build some factories.

UP10-1.jpg

Unsurprisingly for a devout Islamic nation the majority of Sokoto's factories were concerned with the creation of alcohol.

With her first factories under construction the Sokoto government reluctantly order for the army to be fully paid once again. Noticing that for some reason the troops are still rather irked by the government's actions over the last few months, it almost as if they had been mistreated, the Sokoto government hurriedly send forth the diplomats. Keen as they are to send several thousand near mutinous troops as far from them as possible.

UP10-2.jpg

The diplomats return several weeks later with dreams that Sokoto's new status as a civilised nation would lead other countries to treat them better now quashed. As they were simply forced to flee Nejd after delivering the decleration, as has become usual.

A few weeks into the war and the Sokoto government learns that which has long been true.

UP10-3.jpg

That by bullying far smaller nations you quickly show yourself a great power. It is the civilised way.

Sokoto's army is left in disbelief following a battle against Nejd.

UP10-4.jpg

As madman Yaji Rumfa, an impressively incompetent general who was well on his way to the top rank in the army, is somehow defeated. This battle causing the Sokoto army to wonder if some competence in a general is perhaps a desirable thing. That is until they noticed Rumfa had achieved high casaulties, indeed he had achieved nothing but casaulties, thus clearly this glory filled battle proves incompetence is still best.

Not quite sharing the same view as the army the government is left desperate to cover up this reverse. This leading them to make a proud announcement mere weeks later.

UP10-5.jpg

That many of these supposed 'artifacts' appear suspiciously new and seem to have been made from various pieces of Sokoto goverment stationary is happily glossed over by Sokoto's Archaeological Society who have been greatly rewarded for these finds.

News reaches the Sokoto government of a most interesting decleration of war.

UP10-6.jpg

Russia declaring war upon Great Britain in a bid to reclaim British Sakhalin. This likely due to the fact that Britain is currently already bogged down in a war against China. The Sokoto government is normally uninterested in foreign wars but this one does give Sokoto an intriguing opportunity.

Putting any such opportunity to one side for the moment, the Sokoto government grow increasingly nervous as Nejd's seemingly unstoppable army secures another victory.

UP10-7.jpg

It almost seems as if westernisation has robbed Sokoto of her military prowess. However it turns out Sokoto lost here as general Abasama, who some consider 'uncommonly young' as he is twelve years of age, had been sent to bed early as punishment for not eating his vegetables during dinner. Their general ordered from the field by his strict parents, the Sokoto army quickly succumbed to defeat.

With war against Nejd continuing to rumble on, Sokoto's generals assuring the government this war is going well pointing to Sokoto's impressively high casaulties thus far as proof of this, Sokoto's diplomats are sent on their next diplomatic mission. For once the diplomats are not terrified of the task before them. They are dealing with a fellow civilised nation, a European nation well versed in diplomacy. They expect to be treated well.

UP10-8.jpg

Several weeks later and the green faced terrified diplomats return having found out that not only are civilised European nations no less enraged by declerations of war, but they are still prone to seasickness.

In what continues to cause wonder amongst the Sokoto navy Sokoto's new ships, built on her Mediterranean coast, actually float. Most of the time anyway. This quite an improvement over Sokoto's previously built vessels. These newly constructed ships transporting Sokoto forces to the coast of Greece. Hurriedly disembarking as quickly as possible, the troops still refuse to trust Sokoto ships, battle is met with the Greek army.

UP10-9.jpg

Following the recent battles against Nejd the Sokoto government insist upon choosing the commander of the Greek landing themselves rather than leaving it to the army as is usual. They choose the reasonably competent Usman al-Walid for the role despite protestations from the rest of Sokoto's officers. The rest of the officers fearful that al-Walid is too skilled a general to ever be able to secure victory.

With the turn of the year a considerable amount of Liberals are appointed to Sokoto's upper house of parliament by Sokoto's Sultan after growing demands from the public for greater democractic rights.

UP10-10.jpg

Both the Liberals and some of the Conservatives agree with the public, feeling it only right that democracy is brought to Sokoto. Provided it is a democracy which in no way enfranchises any but fellow rich members of the nation, such as themselves. All lower classes clearly unqualified to decide the fate of the nation in any way whatsoever.

Sokoto's officers are left feeling vindicated in their protesting against the selection of al-Walid for command in Greece mere days later.

UP10-11.jpg

Admittedly al-Walid did somehow manage to win against the Greeks, despite his not being horrifically incompetent, but Sokoto's officers are quick to criticise the few casaulties he suffered. This a far more important consideration than mere victory.

A day later and Sokoto's nemsis is finally defeated, Abasama gaining revenge for his earlier loss against ibn Muhammad.

UP10-12.jpg

This stunning victory against an outnumbered battle weary force won after Sokoto's troops had thrown themselves forward desperate for a quick victory after being warned by Abasama he would have to leave them soon to do his homework.

A few weeks later and another interesting opportunity for expansion is noticed by the Sokoto government.

UP10-13.jpg

With Portugal wisely failing to honour her alliance with Spain, her sole ally, after France's declaration of war, Portugal is now rather bereft of friends. Especially as Britain is still at war with both China and Russia. The Sokoto government quickly order thousands of running shoes made, this proven to be much needed equipment in war against Portugal, as she readies herself for yet another potential war.

The shoes now ready, Sokoto's hugely reluctant diplomats are sent forth.

UP10-14.jpg

Mere days later and the diplomats return looking surprisingly happy. Having procured some running shoes for themselves they managed to escape Portugal with ease after delivering the decleration of war.

Research into 'Bronze Muzzle-loaded Artillery' is completed days later.

UP10-15.jpg

This after Sokoto academics proved that grass and mud are indeed ineffective material for creating working cannon, bronze for some reason working far better.

Sokoto's generals have become surprised and worried by the fact that inexplicably Sokoto's soldiers are not as keen to blindly follow their orders after the last few brusing wars. It almost as if the soldiers lack confidence in Sokoto's brilliant generals. Due to this research into 'The Command Principle' is begun, in an effort to show Sokoto's soldiers the wisdom of always following the orders of her officers. No matter how crazy said orders often seem.

The Sokoto government is left confused a few weeks later.

UP10-16.jpg

Surprisingly the Netherlands are refusing to treat Sokoto's ambassador seriously, instead mocking his incredibly fashionable green and pink uniform. Clearly this a case of fashion envy.

With Greece's forces long since crushed, and Russia thankfully still busy with Britain, war with her finally comes to an end.

UP10-17.jpg

Sokoto thus secures her first mainland European holdings, whilst still having a mere five ships stationed on the Mediterranean Sea. With such naval power her overseas holdings are undoubtedly well protected.

With Sokoto now a very democratic nation since the political reforms of a few months earlier, the rich alone continuing to hold power, a limited constitution has finally been created.

UP10-18.jpg

Sokoto's Sultan all too happy to give up absolute power as he does not wish to be blamed for the horrible mess the government have left the nation in.

In what can only be described as a hugely surprising and wholly unexpected move the perifidious Ottomans dare declare war on peace loving Sokoto.

UP10-19.jpg

Just as the, uh, 'peace loving' Sokoto is finishing her occupation of Nejd.

War against Nejd is hurriedly brought to an end following this entirely unwarranted decleration of war by the Ottomans.

UP10-20.jpg

It is only after the annexation is finalised that the Sokoto government realise they have offered an easy entry into Sokoto for the 30,000 strong Ottoman army waiting just over the new border. Wonderful. Still, the Sokoto government is not too worried, the Ottomans have a mere 21 brigades available. That is until they are informed by aides that the Ottomans have not yet mobilised, they will have far more brigades available once they do so.

This could prove difficult.

[I'd be much obliged if anyone can let me know, are other nations able to intervene in this war on the Ottomans side when she is the aggressor? Or as the aggressor does this mean she is basically alone and none will intervene on her behalf?]

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly for a devout Islamic nation the majority of Sokoto's factories were concerned with the creation of alcohol.

How interesting - the same happened earlier in my game.

[I'd be much obliged if anyone can tell are other nations able to intervene in this war on the Ottomans side when she is the aggressor? Or as the aggressor does this mean she is basically alone and none will intervene on her behalf?]

If a country is the aggressor, nobody may intervene on their behalf.

that was rather breathless ... 3 wars in a single post & you are on your way to being a major mediterranean power ... my admiration for your approach knows no bounds ... my suspicion it still may end badly is equally substantial - but thats because I'd never have the courage to even think of this strategy never mind actually get away with it

I'm profusely worried that neglecting the techs needed for colonisation will hurt you in the long run. Each territory you colonise is one less colony you have to take from France and Britain, and therefore one extra colony you can take from France or Britain somewhere else. ;)

As for the Ottomans, beware the bear!

As long as the Ottomans are fought in the desert, attrition should be your friend (and when it's your men dying in droves in the desert sun, that just shouts 'good leadership' for your generals). If you annex Greece in a future war, that could complicate things a bit more with the Ottomans.

You've got about 20 years before the scramble for Africa starts. While focusing on colonization techs typically sounds good, in this case I'd be more worried about the inevitable land borders with France and the UK. There's no way in hell all that infamy can ever go under 25 again, so I'd focus more on building up a strong and modern army, with the industries it will need to be self-reliant.
Have I mentioned how exciting this is recently? :)

You've got about 20 years before the scramble for Africa starts. While focusing on colonization techs typically sounds good, in this case I'd be more worried about the inevitable land borders with France and the UK. There's no way in hell all that infamy can ever go under 25 again, so I'd focus more on building up a strong and modern army, with the industries it will need to be self-reliant.

Machine Guns, Medicine and N&I are all good techs to focus on, regardless if one plans on colonising Africa or not. ;)

Thank you profusely for the replies!

tamius23 - Alas, I think attempting to remain a devout Islamic nation is near impossible in V2 considering how lucrative both liquor distelleries and wineries are!

Many thanks for clearing up the aggressor question.

loki100 - There is a very good chance this AAR could go the way of my Oyo game, it all comes down to a GP gaining a border with me at an inconvenient time. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Tanzhang (譚張) - I concur! I was just wishing to get artillery and tactics before catching up with other stuff. I'm now moving towards colonisation technology. Thankfully with regards to the Ottomans, they seem to be happily defeating themselves, as this update will show!

sprites - Thank you for the kind words (your bribe is en route!). Indeed, Incompetence brings conquest!

Ivir Baggins - Abasama escaped criticism for his lack of casaulties in the battle of Rafha as he had already filled his casaulty quota earlier, losing all of his forces in the battle of Hail, thus his incompetence is already proven! Yes, that is it. It isn't instead the fact that I failed to notice he suffered few casaulties at Rafha. *cough*

Selzro - Many thanks for the kind words (your bribe is in the post!). How correct you are with regards to attrition! The Ottomans proved happily obliging in losing most of their troops to this, as this update will show.

With regards to technology, I tend to agree but I am wanting to nab medicine at the very least since this proves very useful with regards to attrition (the Ottomans showing me how important such attrition negating technology is!). Army techs have to come first though, no doubts about it!

Tanzhang (譚張) - I concur, medicine is my next focus as this update shows!

Chapter Eleven - Just Deserts​

The Ottomans have a number of options open to them in this war with regards to how they can invade Sokoto. As they have a stronger navy than Sokoto, this hardly a surprise as small landlocked nations have stronger navies than Sokoto, they could land troops anywhere on Sokoto's long, mainly undefended coast. Or they could attack into Sokot held Lebanon, this a grassy province able to support many troops.

UP11-1.jpg

Ignoring all of these options they instead send a large army into Sokoto's newly acquired desert provinces. This clearly an inspired decision.

Whilst the 30,000 strong Ottoman force is employed in this ingenious attack upon Sokoto's attrition causing desert, a smaller Ottoman force begins besieging Lebanon.

UP11-2.jpg

Sokoto hurries her troops forward to meet the Ottoman incursion into Lebanon. Upon reaching the front, General Rumfa notes how large the Ottoman force in Lebanon is and instead of attacking it, he does the courageous thing and attacks the far smaller Wallachian and Moldovan armies which have newly arrived.

UP11-3.jpg

Rumfa somehow achieves victory against the hugely outnumbered enemy despite being an impressively competent general.

A thrilling war draws to a close as Portugal offers Sokoto acceptable peace terms.

UP11-4.jpg

This epic war sure to live in the minds of Sokoto's people forever as no battles were fought and no casaulties were suffered by either side.

With Askaleh's fall a few weeks later the combined Ottoman and Wallachian force is prompted to advance further into Lebanon.

UP11-6.jpg

In doing so the Ottomans suffer an impressively high number of casaulties due to attrition, as marching thousands of men into a mountainous region is shown to be none too good an idea. In adopting this cunning strategy of losing the bulk of her men to attrition in both mountains and desert, Sokoto generals can only show admiration for the Ottomans. Sokoto's own methods of causing casaulties to her troops clearly lacking in comparison.

As the war continues to rage on the Sokot people take to the streets in protest at the lack of democracy within Sokoto.

UP11-7.jpg

This surprises the Sokot government who cannot understand why this rally is being held. Sokoto is a hugely democractic nation now. After all it is but just over a year ago since the rich were enfranchised. This an important reform which transferred political power from the rich to the rich.

A few days later and Sokoto's first election comes to an end.

UP11-8.jpg

This clearly showing that the rally was indeed unnecessary as Sokoto's ruling party gain one hundred per cent of the vote in this fair and open contest. Rumours of bribery, vote fixing and intimidation of non-Conservative candidates clearly scurrilous lies. The Conservatives romping to victory having proven themselves such a capable party in government over the last few decades.

Noting that the Ottomans are intelligently throwing yet more men into the attrition causing Baalbeck, it becomes clear that they have now mobilised.

UP11-9.jpg

The Ottomans now enjoying a considerable advantage in numbers over the mere thirty nine brigades Sokoto can muster. Or rather, the Ottomans would perhaps enjoy a considerable advantage in numbers if they stop losing their own troops to attrition.

Finally after many months of war the first battle between the Ottomans and Sokoto is fought as General Pesha shows why he is considered an 'innovative tactician', as he attacks an overwhelming Sokot force whilst his recently mobilised men are still disorganised and still recovering from marching through Baalbeck, attrition having taken its toll. Clearly Sokoto has much to learn from the Ottomans when it comes to tactics.

UP11-10.jpg

Thankfully the impressively inept Abdullah Rumfa, veteran of the first Battle of Aden against Egypt, is on hand to deal with this frightening Ottoman attack. His ineptness allowing for Sokoto to secure victory against the horribly unprepared and outnumbered Ottoman force. Rumfa is much lauded for his handling of the battle and his somehow suffering more casaulties when the odds were so heavily in his favour.

Showing a continued strategic mastery the Ottomans capture Baalbeck and hurriedly move from the province, leaving their retreating comrades from the Battle of Sidon without aid against Sokoto's pursuing force.

UP11-11.jpg

Despite the Ottomans seemingly doing all they can to hand Sokoto victory, it almost as if the Ottomans have no respect for Sokoto's military ability, Sokoto's army remains very worried about this coming battle. General Abasama is a hugely gifted general.

UP11-12.jpg

They need not worry as Abasama secures victory over the remnants of the Ottomans force in Sidon army, even suffering an acceptable number of casaulties, as Sokoto's men fight with a great ferocity. Desperate as they are to emerge victorious so as to avoid the re-appointment of Abdullah Rumfa.

With victory in Lebanon, so too in Hail as the once 30,000 strong Ottoman force is defeated.

UP11-13.jpg

The attrition ravaged force thankful to Sokoto for finally putting them out of their misery. Noting the impressive amount of casaulties the Ottomans suffered in this daring 'Throw Thousands Foward Into Inhospitable Desert Terrain' strategy, Sokot officers remain eager to adopt said strategy for themselves.

Research into 'The Command Principle' is finished a few weeks later.

UP11-13a.jpg

The Sokoto army is now satisfied that her troops have been convinced to always follow the orders of an officer, no matter how stupid said orders seem. Sokoto's academics are next ordered to begin researching 'Basic Chemistry' in a bid to uncover a highly explosive or toxic weapon so as to bring about yet more casaulties for their own side. Uh, for the enemy side that is.

Victory follows victory as Sokoto slowly push an Ottoman force out of Lebanon, at last advancing into Ottoman territory.

UP11-14.jpg

All whilst leaving the 23,000 strong Ottoman force beseiging Beirut. The Sokoto army happy that leaving a large hostile force to your rear whilst advancing into enemy territory is a good idea.

With the bulk of Sokoto's army still busy attempting to chase down routing Ottoman brigades alarming news is received.

UP11-15.jpg

For the first time in the war the Ottomans are acting intelligently, their large army left behind in Beirut moving forward to deal with Sokoto's stranded and suddenly very worried army.

Whilst Sokoto achieves victory in Antioch her outnumbered force in Latakia is attacked by the Ottomans.

UP11-16.jpg

The Battle of Latakia is sure to decide this war. Defeat here and the majority of Sokoto's army will likely be crushed.

Scrambling every nearby Sokoto unit to Latakia, Abasama employs the vaunted 'Throw Everyone Forward And Hope For The Best' tactic of the late Abdullah Rumfa, Sokoto's master tactician.

UP11-18.jpg

Unsurprisingly Sokoto is victorious, the Ottomans bamboozled by this display of tactical brilliance. General Abasama is praised throughout the land for somehow defeating a highly able Ottoman commander, whilst losing more men, when all he had in his favour was overwhelming numbers.

As Bey's broken force is quickly chased down and destroyed, the Ottomans find themselves with few brigades left.

UP11-19.jpg

They are fortunate then that their few remaining brigades are being used to such devastating effect, the last of their army marching into Sokoto's desert provinces once more.

The Ottomans may be losing the war at present, but they are clearly winning when it comes to suffering the most casaulties due to their own incompetence. A fact which shames the Sokot army considerably.

Last edited:
that was a terrifying performance by the Ottomans ... your strategic wisdom in taking out Najd a while back being utterly vindicated. And the Portuguese war was also impressive.

It maybe that I've been too pessimistic to date, but then your poets have been quiet for a while