• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why aren't they a great power already Morningsider I am dissappoint.

Once they actually research "Publishing Industry" they will be!

And once they're a GP they'll get a nice boost to Research Points too (moreso with the current lack of civilized bonus).

The first war with the Euro GPs is going to be make or break.

Thank you profusely for the replies!

NapoleonComple - Exactly so! The race is on with regards to Egypt, although I'm hoping to give the Ottomans a kicking sometime soon myself. Well, either that or they'll give me a kicking, which seems more likely.

Thankfully I do not border Britain, although you did give me a heart attack after pointing that out on the map! That is actually Zulu you are seeing who are lucky enough to share Sokoto's incredibly masculine pink on the political map.

Vaya con Queso - Right! And westernisation is now been reached, as this update will show!

cosmeIII - I could not have put it better! It is entirely deplorable that European nations are daring to expand into poor, defenceless and peace loving African nations who Sokoto had intended to subjugate, uh, that is to say, intended to 'free' via incorporation into the Sokoto Empire! Rest assured Sokoto will send the strongest of rebukes to the European nations responsible! Strongly worded messages, via whisper as you so intelligently suggest, such as, 'Stop conquering our fellow African nations, or else! Or else...uhm, we'll run away in fear!'

tamius23 - I hadn't noticed that, but you are quite right, Britain has colonised Sakhalin! Although I think Russia has the better part of this deal, as she has colonised Comoros and Mayotte herself. Thus Russia gains two near-tropical islands located just off eastern Africa whilst Britain gets a frozen wasteland off eastern Russia, well done Russia (I type this having no idea about the georaphics of either place thus apologies if I have it horribly wrong!)!

Thank you for the kind words (your bribe is en route). You are quite right, Sokoto clearly has the most incompetent poets in the world!

sorem - Sadly not from my experience. As Tanzhang has kindly explained I gained the province of Mocambique from Portugal via the 'place in the sun' casus belli, thus it need be made a full state!

Tanzhang (譚張) - My education slider isn't 100% simply because I don't have the money at present! I've found the extra cost from playing on very hard, the extra supply consumption that is, makes generating a surplus with the budget far more difficult. Thus I've had to trim costs everywhere accordingly and I'd rather focus upon defence at present as it is my brigade count alone which will deter any nation from declaring war upon me! Plus since being on very hard I'll be behind for research throughout the game, having education at 100% isn't too much of a priority.

As for the Suez canal, I'm as yet undecided!

loki100 - How very true! Sokoto poets are without equal. As for a car-crash element; you know my AARs too well!

Arilou - I know! This was one of very few intentional 'errors' (most of my errors in games are wholly unintentional) so as to provide for the joke in this update when 'Publishing Industry' is finally researched!

Rae - Books, guns, boots, boats, uniforms, an enviable literacy rate and fantastic poety! Sokoto truly is an advanced culture! As for the becoming a great power, be disappointed no longer (or rather, remain disappointed at my terrible gameplay and writing!).

Dewirix - Too true regarding war with a European GP. I'll have to strengthen Sokoto considerably before that happens.

Ivir Baggins - Sadly I have never read any of the Crovan clan's exploits (I was a Knud Knytling fan at that time!), I'll have to get around to it at some point though, they are always well recommended.

Chapter Nine - Westernised and Terrified​

Sokoto has enjoyed an unprecedented period of peace, having suffered no war for a full year. Surprisingly this period of peace has not brought joy to the people of Sokoto, instead the break in hostilities simply giving them time to take stock and realise what a mess their nation now is. The Sokoto government, showing a hitherto unheard of competence in judging the public mood, hurriedly send forth the diplomats to sort out a new war before anyone within Sokoto begins considering such idiotic ideas as revolution.

UP9-1.jpg

The diplomats return a few days later severely short of breath having fled with all haste from Egypt after delivering the message of war to their quickly enraged Egyptian counterparts. The diplomats may be breathless and terrified but they are also rather happy. Happy they did not have to use a Sokot ship this time.

Sokoto's forces are hurriedly thrown forward over the border into Cairo where the whole Egyptian army is currently camped.

UP9-2.jpg

Whilst Sokoto has overwhelming numbers in her favour, Egypt not only has artillery she also has infantry this time, rather than irregulars as before. Clearly Egypt now knows mere irregulars are quite unsuited to stopping the pink juggernaut. Nonetheless the odds continue to favour Sokoto especially as Muhammad Kabe was given his position solely due to his having powerful friends and not due to ridiculous concerns such as to his experience and ability for the role. In this case Kabe has a powerful friend, rather than 'friends', as his brother is Sokoto's legendary poet, Abdullah Kabe.

With the titanic battle of Cairo still raging the Sokoto government has important business to deal with.

UP9-3.jpg

Morale within the army remains low, non-Hausa troops still not having grown accustomed to inept leadership, having to wield antiquated weapons and shockingly high casualties, especially on siege duty. Considering this important issue the government order new pink uniforms for all of the non-Hausa brigades, this sure to improve morale.

After nearly a month of battle Egypt's army is finally defeated.

UP9-4.jpg

General Muhammad Kabe winning considerable praise for the high number of casualties Sokoto suffered in what many had considered would prove an easy and routine victory over a horribly outnumbered force. Although there is disquiet at his having shown competence in surrounding Cairo, blocking any Egyptian retreat.

With victory secured General Kabe's brother, the great poet Abdullah Kabe, hurriedly writes some new verse in honour of his brother's victory.

We won,
We won,
We won, we won, we won.
We won,
We won,
We actually won,
We won,
We're number one!
Well, truly we are number sixty but you try finding a word to rhyme with sixty.

This moving poetry widely accepted as one of his best works to date.

With victory over Egypt finally won disaster is experienced in Kenya.

UP9-5.jpg

Despite the casaulties caused by the fever the Sokoto government remains steadfast in their opposition to improvements in drainage and clean water supplies. Arguing that such improvements would be mollycoddling and a waste of money, brown foul smelling water having done them no harm whilst they grew up. Furthermore having to cope with high casaulties caused by outbreaks of disease give Sokot men good preperation for life in the army, where high casaulties will be very common.

Showing the care for their men which makes the Sokot army such a welcoming and friendly place, all of the most weakened brigades are sent off to the east to besiege Egypt's desert provinces.

UP9-6.jpg

The Sokot generals reasoning that since said brigades have already lost so many men attrition will not harm them very much. Plus suffering through a desert siege is far preferable to much needed rest and recuperation.

With the near-dead Sokoto brigades bravely suffering through horrendous siege conditions in eastern Egypt, many suffering dreadful injuries such as having to cope with sand in their boots, worrying news is brought to Sokoto's generals.

UP9-7.jpg

The underhanded Egyptians daring to prey upon Sokoto's most vulnerable brigades.

Sokoto's generals, who are understandbly proud at having extracted some more casaulties from a war which is as good as won, are left in surprise when the Sokoto government orders them to save the remaining brigades. Clearly politicians know nothing about casualties equating to glory.

UP9-8.jpg

A reluctant Usman Rumfa finally crushing Bey's force a few months later, suffering embarrassingly few losses in the battle against Bey. Although happily a Sokoto brigade is crushed before Bey is finally defeated.

With the government's policy of continuing to underfund education whilst instead stealing academics from newly conquered lands proving effective, Sokoto now having an astoundingly high 6.3% literacy, there is little surprise that non-Hausa parents are now clamouring to have their children enlisted in Sokot schools.

UP9-9.jpg

Said schools still doing little to teach children anything other than the basics of warfare as they still resemble battlefields for the most part. This always useful experience for joining the Sokoto army.

Research into the 'Publishing Industry' is finally completed a few months later.

UP9-10.jpg

The Sokoto government delighted that they can soon begin printing their newspaper, tentatively titled 'News From The Wise And Brilliant Sokoto Government Who Should Never Be Replaced'. That is until the academics explain that the publishing industry in this case is actually for clothing. This leaving Sokoto's ministers understandably dissapointed, they nonetheless each order a half dozen new pink suits before ordering research into 'Bronze Muzzle-loaded Artillery'. This due to their growing exasperation at repeated failed attempts to create working cannon from grass and mud.

Still with the 'Publishing Industry' now researched nothing bars Sokoto from westernising, a truly terrifying prospect for the world. Well, nothing apart from the current war against Egypt, which should finish soon. Or, more likely, it should finish at some point in the next decade based on Sokoto's previous form against defenceless opponents.

The Sokoto government is left hugely confused mere days later.

UP9-11.jpg

Confused that Tigray saboteurs have somehow damaged Sokoto's non-existant industrial facilities.

With war continuing and westernisation now a possibility the Sokoto government still focus on more important matters.

UP9-12.jpg

Such as arranging a fishing trip to Aden.

War against Egypt is finally drawing to an end but there is one thing barring peace.

UP9-13.jpg

Inexplicably the Sokoto people are none too keen on war, this hindering further land being demanded from Egypt. It almost as if horribly high taxes and constantly high casaulties are an undesirable thing which has put the public off further warfare. The Sokoto government is undeterred though, willing to wait until public support for war grows so that more land can be demanded.

Whilst waiting for this change in public mood the finance minister lowers national stockpile spending so as to begin gathering the funds required to pay for the building of factories in the near future.

UP9-14.jpg

The Sokoto soldiers are surprisingly happy when told they will have to buy their own equipment. That is until they are told they must still buy pink uniforms, no other colour acceptable.

Despite a slight increase in public support for the war, there is still not support enough to demand another province from Egypt several months later. The public for some reason unimpressed that the Sokoto army is now being asked to pay for their own equipment.

UP9-15.jpg

The government finally admitting defeat, they secure peace with Egypt.

The war now at an end the government hurriedly order for westernisation to be embraced.

UP19-16.jpg

Sokoto's impressive technlogical progress, her high literacy of 6.5%, her all-conquering fashionable army led by only the best of generals, her capacity to wage war near non-stop for only the most unjustified of reasons, her mastery of diplomacy and her government's skant regard for the nation's public all showing Sokoto is an eminently qualified nation to be considered civilised. Sokoto takes her rightful place amongst other westernised nations.

A place she is hopeful of not losing any time soon, which could prove a bit tricky as she now borders another western power.

UP19-17.jpg

Not that the Ottomans, who are still at truce with Sokoto until July 1853, are likely to hold any grudges. The Sokoto government does not doubt the Ottomans are delighted by their new peace loving neighbour. The Ottomans will surely never consider seeking revenge for her past defeat against Sokoto. That seems highly unlikely. Yes, very unlikely indeed. So unlikely that the Sokoto government quickly orders further recruitment.

Was taking Lebanon really such a good idea? Now you're practically begging the Ottomans to declare war on you! I also thought your choice of tech was a little odd, if I were to go for a military tech at this stage (which I wouldn't), it'd be "Muzzle Loaded Rifles".

Anyways, congratulations on surviving until westernisation. Now prepare to enjoy several containment wars for the next eighty years!

Well he already fought them to a standstill last time, so I guess his chances are good at taking more of their land. And if they wish to declare an offensive war (and leave their allies at home, so much for the better)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ottomans are weak enough for even the incompetent Sokot leaders to handle them at this point. I'm much more interested in seeing how you fare against the likes of Britain or France.

I was just wondering about Nejd, if you're not bothering by infamy you may as well snap them up. Mostly desert, but hey, its more scorching hot sand on which to boil invaders (including, of course, Sokot soldiers!)

I'd hold off taking Tripoli, as it might bring you into contact with France. Equally, when you do get that far, you might want to release the Balkan states rather than seize them; a border with Austria can only be a bad thing.

Nejd and the Arabian territories would be very useful if Sokoto was planning on building a navy, but they aren't. Nevertheless, I suppose he should invade them just for the sake of it, Onwards to Teheran and all that.

Oh and by the way MorningSIDEr I've just named you WritAAR of the Week. :)

remain disappointed at my terrible gameplay and writing!

Don't sell yourself short! I learned one of my main army techniques this way; throw everything forward and hope for the best! (Does NOT work well with pure artillery)

I'm sure you have a reason to border the Ottomans and it wasn't just a giant flub with the peace deal, right? Congradulations on Westernising anyway. I expect to see industy rivaling Great Britain soon! ( I expect great things off you, and of course I wouldn't be dissappointed... right?)

Last edited:
Well done, my friend. I'll be interested to see what you can accomplish in Africa before the euros start setting down colonies and creating borders with you. That could prove tough.

I have no doubt you'll be able to handle the Ottomans, but the worry is that being at war with them every five years will make you look weaker to the GPs. Sokoto's tradition of naval impotence means you'll be fighting in Africa, which in turn means you'll have to rely on winning battles rather than taking territory. This could get pretty hair-raising in short order.

I'm looking forward to it! :D