• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FranklyJustNess

Major
35 Badges
Apr 16, 2021
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
Asteroids I get; you need to visit them to get exotic metals to be able to build underground specific domes, support structures, etc. They are small, don't require much attention and generally work pretty well (though I wish the rocket for them was cheaper to get so you could start earlier).

However when it comes to the underground I am not sure I know why I would go there. It is pretty tedious to clear paths, build lights (seriously why isn't there just a Fog of War mechanic...), transfer resources between surface and there, etc. so I am not too excited to do it again and it just seems like a somewhat late game area that is just the same as the surface, except without disasters.

I would get the point if it was something that can be unlocked (and utilized) pretty early on so you have a choice to build below surface if for example you have a lot of disasters there or poor resources, but getting to properly use the space comes after many techs in the new tree branch, unlocking shuttles and already having mined exotic metals from a couple of asteroids, so it's not something you can do early on. I actually wouldn't mind it being just a surface alternative if it didn't require a lot of setup to even start.

But it just seems like you invest so much resources, own time (on exploring and clearing it) and research just to get basically the same stuff that you can get on surface, and with shuttle hubs already researched it's not like you are bound to only a small part of your map.

Is it just a place to find unique cave features and utilize them and that's it? Should I just ignore it the next time I play, cuz I kinda don't feel like exploring it just for anomalies?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Right now underground is inferior to, well, practically anything else. There are no benefits for going underground also because you have to build a self-sufficient colony because managing supply lines are a pain and micromanagement hell.

Can’t we get access to a few more research keys and maybe unlock breakthroughs We wouldn’t see otherwise?
can we get waste rock up in transports to feed our rares refiners? It’d be nice if we can automate that instead of manual... but at least it’s doable fairly early, after researching the elevator.