So Manchu cultural banner troops have to be the best thing ever, right?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The technical answer is it depends on your specific country's recovery rate, but it doesn't even matter since we're calculating here in terms of time. It's only +50% time regardless of how one looks at it.
I don't understand this logic. With the default recovery rates of 50 and 100, it takes twice as much time for banners to recover the same amount of men. For example if both regiments are at 600 men, it takes the normal troops 400/100 = 4 months and the banners 400/50 = 8 months to fully recover. That's a 100% increase in time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't understand this logic. With the default recovery rates of 50 and 100, it takes twice as much time for banners to recover the same amount of men. For example if both regiments are at 600 men, it takes the normal troops 400/100 = 4 months and the banners 400/50 = 8 months to fully recover. That's a 100% increase in time.

I looked it up again and it seems you guys are right that it's 100% increase in time. I honestly did not feel that it was such a big problem while I was playing as Manchu.

A few things can seriously offset the increased reinforcement time.

1. Fight defensively at the beginning. Engage invading enemies' straggler armies whenever you can. Have some forts in mountains so that you can easily defeat besieging stacks. (This whole tip is to minimize casualties so the reinforcement time isn't as devastating.)

2. Lots of people probably don't realize this, but your reinforcement rate (RR) is actually 100% while your army is in your own provinces, but RR becomes 50% in neutral or hostile territories. (Think only 10% in uncolonized)

3. Hire the Quartermaster as advisor! +33% reinforcement rate.

4. Defensive idea group also has an idea that give +33% reinforcement rate.

I think the problem really is rooted in completely different attitudes toward war tactics. I suspect that a lot of new-ish players just start the war carpet sieging their enemies instead of letting them come to you first, and they probably also engage enemy stacks in unfavorable terrains across rivers. Tip 1 and tip 2 are basically how you're supposed to be fighting any war as any country anyways, but judging by videos I've seen, not many people actually do this. Only the most seasoned players religiously practice this defensive tactic.

PS: Think you can even skip #3 because the +5% discipline advisor is definitely better, but you don't always see him/her around. The moral advisor is also good, especially at the beginning of the game.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
+5% discipline
25% manpower to reinforce
-50% maintenance

Even the "downside", which is the -50% reinforcement rate, seems pretty easy to deal with.

This probably makes Manchu/Jurchen culture the best culture in the whole game.

PS: OH man, I just realized that Oda into Manchu is probably brokenly strong lol...

Painfully slow reinforcements are not the best idea when you are fighting enemy that has weaker troop quality but have more troops.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I looked it up again and it seems you guys are right that it's 100% increase in time. I honestly did not feel that it was such a big problem while I was playing as Manchu.

A few things can seriously offset the increased reinforcement time.

1. Fight defensively at the beginning. Engage invading enemies' straggler armies whenever you can. Have some forts in mountains so that you can easily defeat besieging stacks. (This whole tip is to minimize casualties so the reinforcement time isn't as devastating.)

2. Lots of people probably don't realize this, but your reinforcement rate (RR) is actually 100% while your army is in your own provinces, but RR becomes 50% in neutral or hostile territories. (Think only 10% in uncolonized)

3. Hire the Quartermaster as advisor! +33% reinforcement rate.

4. Defensive idea group also has an idea that give +33% reinforcement rate.

I think the problem really is rooted in completely different attitudes toward war tactics. I suspect that a lot of new-ish players just start the war carpet sieging their enemies instead of letting them come to you first, and they probably also engage enemy stacks in unfavorable terrains across rivers. Tip 1 and tip 2 are basically how you're supposed to be fighting any war as any country anyways, but judging by videos I've seen, not many people actually do this. Only the most seasoned players religiously practice this defensive tactic.

PS: Think you can even skip #3 because the +5% discipline advisor is definitely better, but you don't always see him/her around. The moral advisor is also good, especially at the beginning of the game.

The problems with most of that is that such a style is at odds with the design of hordes. Having to delay a war while they gain their strength and/or having a significant chunk of your force limit tied up unable to fight is a big disadvantage when you should be attacking constantly.

And by the time you really start being able to leverage them they are becoming a smaller part of your army and therefore not that impactful as well as their modifiers becoming less powerful in light of the other modifiers.

They used to be absurdly powerful in the early game when you had a small army that was very manpower restricted and facing enemies with few modifiers.

For many other tags the Banners would be much better.

My favourite unit prior to the estate changes was the Rajput. They had nice, if not amazing bonuses but for an area that tends to have tons of attrition and resulting manpower issues they were amazing. Haven't played a tag with them since the change to estates.

Reactions: