• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I'll go against a lot of the posts in this thread and say: Thank God that gamers put a premium on good graphics! I'm sure that a lot of us remember playing the old ANSI games on UNIX-platform machines or the early Wang personal computers... IMHO, graphics are a great enhancement to the gaming experience. Do I think that we need to have uber-graphics that are twinkly and ultra-realistic? No. But I am grateful that they are a consideration, certainly!

With that said, I do not allow computer games, or other non-essential software applications to dictate when I upgrade my computer. This often means, by the way, that I end up buying great computer games when they cost less money, because I am upgrading my computer (and my games library) a year or two (or three or four) behind the curve.

It's all about mental training and discipline. Now in the case of EU III, I may have to discard my usual tactics if the hardware requirements are excessive. :rofl:

lordy80011 said:
Well, I'll go against a lot of the posts in this thread and say: Thank God that gamers put a premium on good graphics! I'm sure that a lot of us remember playing the old ANSI games on UNIX-platform machines or the early Wang personal computers... IMHO, graphics are a great enhancement to the gaming experience. Do I think that we need to have uber-graphics that are twinkly and ultra-realistic? No. But I am grateful that they are a consideration, certainly!

With that said, I do not allow computer games, or other non-essential software applications to dictate when I upgrade my computer. This often means, by the way, that I end up buying great computer games when they cost less money, because I am upgrading my computer (and my games library) a year or two (or three or four) behind the curve.

It's all about mental training and discipline. Now in the case of EU III, I may have to discard my usual tactics if the hardware requirements are excessive. :rofl:

I buy graphics cards when they hit $50. It keeps me about 2 years behind the curve, but since I'm a strategy/wargame player and not a shooter-guy, it works for me.

Yggdrasil313 said:
bah, ascii graphics is the way to go,

example a map:

^^^^~~
^C^^~~
^Ff*fpp~
^^FFf~~
^^^^^^

Moutains, some sea.. deep forests, normal forests, plains and you, the *
C = the cave, where you can reenter the dungeon
C = Conscription Center :)

Well, let's just hope they won't go overboard with the hardeware requirements just for the sake of making the game appealing to masses...

@Rythin, re: NWN2

the only thing I've found is this

Yggdrasil313 said:
bah, ascii graphics is the way to go,

example a map:

^^^^~~
^C^^~~
^Ff*fpp~
^^FFf~~
^^^^^^

Moutains, some sea.. deep forests, normal forests, plains and you, the *
C = the cave, where you can reenter the dungeon

Now, thats real graphics!

Hahah! I greatly enjoyed Moria, the Ed Barlow/Adam Bryant "Conquer", Stony Brook World, etc., but I think it bears remembering that the AI in those games wasn't particularly intelligent either.

I'll take EU (and the rest of the family of Paradox games) with their graphics, irregular maps (which don't dictate that each province/territory have eight surrounding provinces/territories as the ascii example above does, more or less) and superior AI (to anything that I played back in the old ASCII/ANSI days), thank-you-very-much!

I hear ya though. I logged hundreds of hours playing those wonderful games. I'm just saying that I am glad that we are not stuck there. :)