• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Booo! Beating up on the little sistas of the poor! Booo! Don't you know that job is only allowed for the United States! :p

Booo! Beating up on the little sistas of the poor! Booo! Don't you know that job is only allowed for the United States! :p

Hmmm. I think you'll enjoy the next update immensely, Herr Volksmarschall. :p

Hmmm. I think you'll enjoy the next update immensely, Herr Volksmarschall. :p

Deep down in the inner machine that is your soul, I know you know that I'm secretly rooting for you! ;) :p

I highly commend you on your ability to actually write an interesting, extended six-month update. Were I to attempt the same, no doubt I would attract a great many more readers with an interest in the evolution of industrial machinery. :p

Santa Anna seems quite the devious sort. I imagine he's a bomb waiting to go off – hopefully in the form of inspiring a liberal revolution. We can start by actually freeing up the presidential office. Our current protagonist's ability to flit in and out of it like a raincoat in August is as worrying as it is impressive. The sooner we see some elections the better, I say!

Wonderful update! Simply out of interest, but does Mexico share the United State's dream of manifest destiny? Surely if Mexico was stronger in this timeline, they would dream of a Republic spanning the continent!

I highly commend you on your ability to actually write an interesting, extended six-month update. Were I to attempt the same, no doubt I would attract a great many more readers with an interest in the evolution of industrial machinery. :p

I think that comes with the territory, so to speak. It's easy to write an interesting six-month update when you've just had a six-month war; it's rather more difficult when you've done little else than research a few techs here and made a few diplomatic decisions there. I think there's moments in every game where it takes you a year or two of game time to write maybe a paragraph of substance, and others where you may summarise the events of one or two months in an entire update.

Santa Anna seems quite the devious sort. I imagine he's a bomb waiting to go off – hopefully in the form of inspiring a liberal revolution. We can start by actually freeing up the presidential office. Our current protagonist's ability to flit in and out of it like a raincoat in August is as worrying as it is impressive.

Remember what happened the last time a Jacobin revolution led to the founding of an Empire? :p

The sooner we see some elections the better, I say!

I can't not agree with this statement; sadly though it may be some time before we can pass even a single political reform.

Interesting style? Check
Full of historical facts? Check
Backstabbing? Check
Underdog Nation? Check
Going to annoy the Big Ones? Check

Count me in!

Thanks! Welcome aboard. :)

Wonderful update! Simply out of interest, but does Mexico share the United State's dream of manifest destiny? Surely if Mexico was stronger in this timeline, they would dream of a Republic spanning the continent!

*leans forward* You might well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

You've played your hand very clearly, it looks like Santa Anna is on his way to new levels of glory! Surely only Washington can save Texas now?

How far into the americas does the ambition of Mexico go? Will the USA have to cede land to Mexico and reverse history? Will you recreate Grand Colombia? Will you take what is rightfully yours (the two entire continents? :p )?

You've played your hand very clearly, it looks like Santa Anna is on his way to new levels of glory! Surely only Washington can save Texas now?

Have I now? Maybe that is just what I want you to think? Conversely, maybe I have played my hand very clearly after all? :p

How far into the americas does the ambition of Mexico go? Will the USA have to cede land to Mexico and reverse history?

You might well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Will you recreate Grand Colombia? Will you take what is rightfully yours (the two entire continents? :p )?

No. I don't actually see how forming Gran Colombia as Mexico would even be possible. Even if it was, it would probably involve us having to conquer all of Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador beforehand, and that would require us to fight several wars and a crapload of infamy. As much as I like the idea of resurrecting Gran Colombia, it simply isn't feasible.

I'm rooting for Mexico on this one.

As long as those bloody Democrats are calling the shots...

Popular democracy - just horrible.

Santa Anna seems quite the devious sort. I imagine he's a bomb waiting to go off – hopefully in the form of inspiring a liberal revolution. We can start by actually freeing up the presidential office. Our current protagonist's ability to flit in and out of it like a raincoat in August is as worrying as it is impressive. The sooner we see some elections the better, I say!
You say that you want a free presidential office? And elections as well? Worry not, those Liberal rebels will soon fix that problem for you! :D

I'd also like to point out that Mexico's many gold provinces really do drive immigration, at least when they are active. Besides a +1000% bonus to immigration to the actual province, there is also a +20% overall IA bonus, and a +5 province liferating bonus that never goes away. For this reason, I advise that you make California a state, if you seek to hold onto it. In a couple of my own games for fun where I've been playing around with the USA (gasp, I know, but one game really did teach me a lot about the election system), I've learned the hard way what happens when you make a colony into a state ("Clears all Province Modifiers"), and you'll never get anywhere near as many immigrants with a colony.

All that being said, I should point out that Santa Anna isn't as strong as you think, and that the bonus from Military Staff System is actually much more valuable than you think. Staff System gives you +5.0 organization, while Santa Anna gives you +5.0% organization. One improves your original organization by 5%, changing a 5.0 to 5.25, while the other changes your base organization by 5.0, going from an original 5.0 to 10.00, doubling your starting organization. Very important to understand the difference between the two. Oh, and to answer Dr. L's question, Mexico does not get any event that gives it cores on another nation, only the removing of Mexican cores (en masse) is permissible. That is, unless the "Refute Manifest Destiny" decision is even more awesome than I'd imagine.

Subbed.

Can't wait for Ol' Sam Houston to put you back in your place!
In the base game, Sam Houston is literally an impossible general for the player to match, at least defensively. What I mean by this, is that he has a +6 to his defensive rolls. And of course, the army composition for the Texan army is: 1 Guard, 1 Artillery, and 1 Dragoon, blowing anything that Mexico can put up clear out of the water. I have actually lost battles against Texas (on Normal difficulty) where I've had my entire army, with a 3 : 1 numbers advantage, and summarily lost against Sam Houston. To be fair, more than half of Mexico's starting army (in base game) is irregulars, but hopefully that highlights another bit of insanity for you. When I say that pound for pound, Texas has the best starting army in the game (maybe, MAYBE Prussia is better, or at least equivalent), I mean it.

Rant over.

No. I don't actually see how forming Gran Colombia as Mexico would even be possible. Even if it was, it would probably involve us having to conquer all of Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador beforehand, and that would require us to fight several wars and a crapload of infamy. As much as I like the idea of resurrecting Gran Colombia, it simply isn't feasible.
Mexico cannot reform Gran Colombia. Only Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela can.

Oh, and to answer Dr. L's question, Mexico does not get any event that gives it cores on another nation, only the removing of Mexican cores (en masse) is permissible. That is, unless the "Refute Manifest Destiny" decision is even more awesome than I'd imagine.

I'll reply in depth when I get the chance, but just to answer this quickly: Mexico doesn't have any events which give it cores in PDM (though there's at leats one which gives them cores in CoE) but they do have a decision, which shall remain nameless, which gives them cores on two states.

Mexico cannot reform Gran Colombia. Only Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela can.

Didn't think so; you'd have to have North Andean as your culture, no?

Oh god, a quadruple post, the agony!

Didn't think so; you'd have to have North Andean as your culture, no?
I think that that is a requirement, but I also think that it is nation-locked to one of those 4, just in case.