Slavery's Place in EUIV (Keep it tasteful and factual!)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement, and and indeed anything associated with "wage slavery" is not one of them.
You need to learn what "context" means and how to comprehend what people say. If English isn't your first language, then understand that you have made a massive mistake in your understanding of the words being used, their denotations and connotations, and concede the argument. Don't make a language dependent argument on a language you don't fully understand. You only stand to make a fool of yourself. Pressing the issue only makes you look more foolish, and extremely ignorant. The semantics of a language are a complex and not readily understood faucet of speaking in that language, and if you do not have a firm grasp over them, you will fail consistently to understand or communicate when you try to make semantic arguments.
"Incomprehensible." Again, this very readily seems to be a problem with your understanding of the English language. I'll repeat this: don't make a language dependent argument on a language you don't fully understand. You are unequivocally wrong, but at least it seems to stem from your failure to understand rather than a more critical character flaw. Perhaps. It may well be both, but I can give someone the benefit of the doubt. Within the given context, the two concepts do not equate, and to try to make them equate is what is known as an equivocation. That is absurd - it's a well established fallacy regardless of language - but what you have done here is not only absurd but also deplorable.

You are not similar in your situation to sex slaves, plantation slaves, or any other form of contextually relevant slave. Again, you do not get whipped, beaten, subjected to extreme psychological trauma and extreme physical brutality, you are not treated both legally and socially as the property of another human being, you are allowed an extremely high degree of agency in your life compared to most of human history, and you - personally - are not subject to brutal dehumanization. Stop trying to say you are while you spend perfectly good working hours seeking out entertainment on an internet forum completely by your own volition; it's asinine.

Too right.

Really, man , you are arguing with yourself. Read all my posts and you'll see I never said both are comparable, nor I tried to say they are on the same level. I even explicitly said actual slavery is a horror. But you keep going back with those moral arguments over and over. What I did was criticize your behavior of imputing an intention that guy didn't have and that, unconsciously, you gave an explanation that could fortify his post.

And am I the one with problem understanding english? Wait a bit, calm down, take a shower and read it all over again. You are, i repeat, arguing with yourself, saying a lot of things I agree, thinking you have a contra-argument against me. Funny, you are the english speaker and yet the one with problems in comprehending our discussion. What you can critize in my english is orthography, or maybe grammar, which is different than text interpretation. The simple fact that you take time to write those long answers to me testify you do know I can comprehend english very well.

Last edited:
Really, man , you are arguing with yourself. Read all my posts and you'll see I never said both are comparable, nor I tried to say they are on the same level.
Let me quote you, shall I?
You see, you never said physical violence. You should know that violence doesn't have to be physical. Your description is exactly what propaganda aims to do: It's violent, wants to suppress your liberty with violence and intimidation, to coerce your labor and make you become an slave of what they are trying to sell to you.
Here you are equivocating the definition of violence. Within the given context, "extreme violence" has a clear definition and is a reference to the sorts of examples I have repeatedly given: being whipped because of unsatisfactory work, being murdered on the whim of a master, and being forcibly coerced into labor. So yes, you did try to compare verbal abuse with physical violence, and you did equivocate quite clearly.

I even explicitly said actual slavery is a horror.
Irrelevant. As long as you keep comparing yourself to a slave, you downplay the actual meaning of slave and the inherent brutality, horror, and trauma therein. It's like you calling yourself a rape victim because you saw some naughty thing on television that you didn't want to see - sorry, but that is in no way parallel to being subjected to that sort of trauma and saying that it is insults rape victims just like your calling yourself and others who enjoy your level of affluence "slaves" insults and degrades the horror of actual slaves.

But you keep going back with those moral arguments over and over. What I did was criticize your behavior of imputing an intention that guy didn't have and that, unconsciously, you gave an explanation that could fortify his post.
Wrong yet again. He said: "It's still a handful of people running our lives. We're still slaves" which is very clearly equating the affluent, largely violence free lifestyle most first world citizens enjoy with the sort of slavery that has been discussed throughout this thread - that is, violent dehumanization and forcible coercion of labor. The two are not even remotely similar.

And am I the one with problem understanding english?
Yes. I cannot be more clear about this. You have failed in basic comprehension and perpetrated a number of fallacies in your pursuit of this ridiculous goal of equating yourself with slaves and downplaying the horror therein.

Wait a bit, calm down, take a shower and read it all over again. You are, i repeat, arguing with yourself, saying a lot of things I agree, thinking you have a contra-argument against me.
If you agree that you are in no way similar to a slave, that the person to whom I originally responded was completely wrong in making that equivalence, and that you have failed to comprehend what was said, then you agree with what I am saying. If you do not agree with the core of my argument, then I am by no means arguing with myself.
Funny, you are the english speaker and yet the one with problems in comprehending our discussion.
Yes, I am an English speaker and I'm telling you that you do not understand the language as well as you think you do, and that you have used several equivocations and failed to detect contextually relevant pieces of information, possibly because of your lack of understanding. If you have not failed in that regard, then I cannot lend you the benefit of the doubt and must fall back to my original suspicion that you are either a fool or a troll.
What you can critize in my english is orthography, or maybe grammar, which is different than text interpretation.
No, you've failed consistently to understand what people are saying. I have not corrected your grammar once, I have corrected your spelling numerous times.
The simple fact that you take time to write those long answers to me testify you do know I can comprehend english very well.
It takes about 2 seconds to say something completely stupid. It can take an hour to disprove or demonstrate the stupidity of what you say. For instance, provide evidence and an argument sufficient to disprove this mythical misconception in less time than it takes to express it: "The earth is flat." With exactly 4 words, you can't provide evidence and an argument. Likewise, even though what your saying is largely nonsensical and your arguments are clearly invalid, it takes time to respond to what little merits attention. I also practice argumentation wherein the "best favorable interpretation" is used, meaning that I give you more credit than you demonstrate and translate what you say in a way that makes the best argument. That does not make you an effective communicator, or an authority on the use of language. Remember, yours is a semantic argument which by necessity equates "extreme violence" with - and this is your word - "propaganda." Why are you making semantic arguments in a language that is not within your mastery?

Wait, so will slavery not be in EUIV at all? I remember as late as EUII (I think) slavery was not only in the game, but provinces with slavery as their "resource" had a graphic made up of black men grouped together to look like slaves. As opposed to the shackles of EUIII.

I really don't see anything controversial about having it in game. It is as much a part of history as other events such as the inquisition, Norse massacres in England, or ex terminations of native populations for that matter. All things represented across multiple Paradox games including the EU series. Slavery should be no different. Especially given the economic impact it had on nations.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.