• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, what would trying to take that goon world from them entail, exactly?
Do you mean the Rakhas planet? Hostiles with insane PD but no ships? We found them in one star system so far.

Or the Galapagonians (Precursors)? We found them in two systems so far. One of them with about 30 ships.

It depends on the purpose, really. What would the doctrine involve? Would it replace the fleet? Increase protection for medium size colonies? Why can't space stations do these things?

In a similar vein - In previous aurora versions you could get ridiculously fast ships around 400-600 tons or so. Classification as a FAC (which requires < 1000 tons) helps a lot. What kind of laser could we put on a ship like that?

I remember using that to create some company dropships, to board and capture vessels that have been disabled. Speed is key for that, as success chances depend on the speed difference of the vessels involved back then. Those may also be fun.
The biggest laser that I can create that can fire EVERY impulse (every five seconds) would be one that does six points of damage. Because our Capacitor tech is 6.

That's 15cm. Mass = 250 tons (five Hull Squares). Then there's the Fire Control. And the usual (Engine, Fuel, Life Support, Spare Parts, etc).

Do you mean the Rakhas planet? Hostiles with insane PD but no ships? We found them in one star system so far.

These. Have you ever been back there?

Or the Galapagonians (Precursors)? We found them in two systems so far. One of them with about 30 ships.

That sounds like a great site for an epic battle for sure.

The biggest laser that I can create that can fire EVERY impulse (every five seconds) would be one that does six points of damage. Because our Capacitor tech is 6.

That's 15cm. Mass = 250 tons (five Hull Squares). Then there's the Fire Control. And the usual (Engine, Fuel, Life Support, Spare Parts, etc).

Yeah, that sounds like it's still too big to be practical. Pity, because launching laser armed fighters is pretty much a SF staple.

I unveil... the Laser Fighter!

Berserker class Heavy Fighter (P) 500 tons 8 Crew 255.6 BP TCS 10 TH 42 EM 0
12002 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 4 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0-0 PPV 4
Maint Life 2.33 Years MSP 150 AFR 100% IFR 1.4% 1YR 38 5YR 563 Max Repair 105 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 3 days Morale Check Required

FTR Magnetic Fusion Drive EP120.00 1999 (1) Power 120 Fuel Use 1742.84% Signature 42.00 Explosion 30%
Fuel Capacity 15,000 Litres Range 0.31 billion km (7 hours at full power)

12cm C4 Far Ultraviolet Laser 2004 (1) Range 200,000km TS: 12,002 km/s Power 4-4 RM 50,000 km ROF 5
1998 Beam Fire Control R320-TS10000 (SW) (1) Max Range: 320,000 km TS: 10,000 km/s ECCM-1 97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Tokamak Fusion Reactor R4 1996b (1) Total Power Output 4 Exp 5%

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Fighter for auto-assignment purposes

Had to use a 12cm Laser instead of 15cm, in order to fit it all into a Fighter's displacement.

Only four damage per hit (at point blank range... less at long range). But it fires every five seconds... that adds up!

Enough repair parts to correct one malfunction.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I stand corrected, good sir.
Awesome.

That said..

500 tons, 12kps. Only marginally faster than the saber, 2 au range.

Means it won't be a rapid reaction force thing, but I guess it could work when deployed on a carrier.

With more tech this may be practical at some point but I guess for right now sabres are better.

Thinking about it, dropship FAC back then used a marine dropship module that was just 50 tons. And since it doesn't need anything else - no sensors, reactors, etc - it could be hyper optimized for one thing, and one thing only: speed.

I stand corrected, good sir.
Awesome.

That said..

500 tons, 12kps. Only marginally faster than the saber, 2 au range.

Means it won't be a rapid reaction force thing, but I guess it could work when deployed on a carrier.

With more tech this may be practical at some point but I guess for right now sabres are better.
I think it's an indication that we are gradually edging into technologies that allow us A LOT more design flexibility than we've enjoyed so far.

We can start considering options that were completely impractical up until now.

Not quite THERE yet... but we are really GETTING there.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Definitely.

Anyway, thanks for entertaining my ridiculous suggestions. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another question: that DSP-on-gas-giant bug. Has that been reported yet?
Does the aurora forum even know this game is going on?

Another question: that DSP-on-gas-giant bug. Has that been reported yet?
Does the aurora forum even know this game is going on?
I really don't know.

It's not predictable... in fact, I don't even know whether it's stopped or whether my work-arounds are working so seamlessly that I no longer even notice the bug...

I've got a Maintenance Space Station linked into each orbital base, and set to distribute spare parts to anyone in that group who needs it. Meanwhile, I've got a Maintenance Ship loading spares at Earth and running around topping up each of my Maintenance Bases.

All on Auto-Turns or Cycle Orders.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I guess that will have to do for now.

Our new Uridium and Corundium comet mines in the 25 Ursae Minoris system are already producing a total of 95,000 tons of TN minerals per year, with more Grinders on the way. Those Grinders are very handy, since a Tug can move the equivalent of 21 auto-mines in one operation.

We have a full five-ship squadron of Freighters devoted to bringing the minerals home.

sb-705.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
sb-706.jpg

Our Grinders can now orbitally mine any object up to 320 km diameter. This will add some new mining sites.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it worth researching "Death Star" grade spinal lasers?

sb-707.jpg

I love the "Max Range 2.65 million km". LOL. Obviously, our Fire Control can't actually target things that far away.

I suppose it's only a thousand research points...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wagonlitz has researched another tech... he's 73 years old, but refuses to retire. Just completed "Maintenance Support per Facility 3,200".

We can now manufacture turreted Lasers in 30cm calibre... a bore one foot (12 inches) across. We should consider designing some large gunships.

Whenever is it *not* worth it to research "Death Star" grade lasers?? Especially against some of the other spoiler races...

Laser battleships sound like they could be a real thing. Though stealthyness also has it's upsides, and that it won't be.

Have you considered building bigger freighters, btw? If you are stacking them up in groups in five maybe a variant with five times the capacity starts being worth it, if only because it's less micro and less of a drain on your CPU. Plus, something that can move a full research facility in one go also has it's upsides..

Another idea...

Should we try to design Sabre-sized, Sabre speed Tankers? PD vessels? Supply ships (for spare parts)?

The Tankers and supply ships will be tricky simply because the gear has a minimum size... is it 500 tons? The PD ships are tricky because Gauss PD is bulky.
The problem with Gauss canon is their short range and they're super bulky.

I think Laser PD Sabre might be doable especially with the latest Capacitor Recharge Rate technology as the ship can also serve as a normal anti-ship laser weapon but you probably have to go for a Twin or Triple laser turret instead of Quad. Maybe a Quad turret with no armor what so ever on the ship although that seems very risky. Edit: After some in game checking, Single or Twin laser turret is doable at best. :confused:

I think you're better of designing a large tankers or supply ships with lots of engines at the expense on how much they can carry than trying to design 2k ton ship that can carry only a minimum amount of fuel or MSP. The former design would then arrive at the Sabre-sized ships locations behind them but then hopefully within a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

I remember some discussion on whether the NPR can generate Star Swarm and the like - as it turns out, no, it can't. Look at these settings in the middle. The only checkbox that's ticked for what the NPR can generate is "Precursors".

Of course we *have* generated raiders, and AFAIK there's no real reason why the NPR can't be raided by them, too, just like we are.

Of course we *have* generated raiders, and AFAIK there's no real reason why the NPR can't be raided by them, too, just like we are.
There's also the point that I do sometimes get long stretches of 5-second combat interrupts, from somebody somewhere fighting something.

Could be NPR vs Precursor, of course.

Reactions: