• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was quite the scene, well written I must say.

I sense some problems arising in the form of young Bohemond. Hopefully this will not cause Robert to many problems in the coming days.

I am enjoying your story very much. The characters are portrayed very realistically and there is the constant threat of intrigue and foul scheming. I especially liked the conversation between Duke Robert and the Byzantine diplomat, each trying to outwit the other. Sounds right on the mark. ;) I, too, wonder if Bohemond can get some justice or if he is doomed to be disinherited.

PS -- I like the way Duke Robert handles troublemakers. No nonsense.

Draco Rexus--Thanks! And yes, Bohemond should begin causing some real trouble once he matures. If he makes it that far.

Jwolf--I appreciate the kind words. Comments from everyone are appreciated and keep me motivated to continue the updates quickly! Yes, medieval intrigue is one of my favorite things :D

beheadings0ws.jpg

Brindisi, 22 December 1067

The wailings of dozens of widows filled the cobblestone square near the waterfront of Brindisi. The crowds thronged around the outer edges of the court, trying to see if their loved one was one of those being interrogated by the Duke's torturers.

Bishop Aubrey del Antelmelli, the priest who had joined Duke Robert Guiscard's court that summer, looked down on the dreadful scene from a balcony in the largest Catholic church of the city, San Giovanni al Sepolcro, built in centuries past but re-done by the Normans in recent years.

Aubrey was well placed in the Duke's court, and his many personal and business links across Italia and Germany had made him an ideal gatherer of information and unofficial spymaster for the Duke. Of course Robert knew he was a spy for the Pope, and Aubrey saw no problem with that. As long as he served Guiscard faithfully, to an extent, he would enjoy his time in his court. As the dicocese bishop of Apulia, he had traveled south with a troop of knights to oversee the subjugation of the Orthodox of Leece and Brindisi, as their own bishop had been killed by men serving this devil-possessed lunatic, Basil.

So far that one madman had not been captured, though his followers had paid a dreadful price. Scores of farmers had been beheaded for not renouncing the teachings of Basil and the Patriarch of Byzantium. Duke Robert had made a decision that now was the time to flush the scourge of heresy from the province, and if there was anything he was efficient at, it was oppression.

Father del Antelmelli wraped his gold and white cloak around his shoulders and descended to the courtyard of the abbey where two men-at-arms fell in at his flanks and they walked out into the city.

Carrion birds were hopping about in the wide open court on the waterfront, where heaps of bodies had been pilled for the past few days, waiting to be carted down to the waterside and dumped. The crowd was thick with peopel today, Aubrey noted with a sigh, he had only some thirty men here with him, and the fear of Norman reprisal could only go so far to limit disobedience.

Making his way to the marketplace-turned-execution center, he climbed the wooden steps to the beheading platform where a row of prisoners waited, chained and naked, for their meeting with the Almighty.

Norman soldiers stood around the platform in heavy chain tunics and and crimson tabards with the conical helms they were known for in Italia. Several of the prisoners were shaking with fear, though one was deep in prayer. Aburey singled the man out, and had the guards bring him forward.

"You, do you wish to live?" the priest asked pleasantly.

The man stared into Aubrey's eyes before replying "I only wish to serve the Father and the Son in life, or death."

Aubrey furrowed his brow in consternation. "Tell me where to find Father Basil, and you will be free to go your way, along with your family."

"The Alimighty makes blind the mighty of Babylon, so says the Father!" The man mumbled, obviously mentally disturbed, Aburey reasoned.

The priest nodded at one of the men-at-arms, and the soldier grabbed the prisoner's bound wrists and placed them on the crude table in front of him. Another warrior pulled a long, slender knife from his belt and fingered it eagerly in his hands.

"Child, simply tell me where this heretic Basil is. He has decieved you, and it is not your fault. He will surely burn in Hellfire for his misleading of innocents such as you and your kinsmen."

The man gritted his teeth and began mumbling in prayer. Aubrey nodded again to the warrior with the knife.

One holding his hands, the other took the knife and placed against one of the prisoner's fingers. He began sawing into the bone as the man screamed in agony, shaking and struggling to get away, but the man holding his arms was far stronger. Blood pooled on the tabled and ran in rivulets to drip off as the Norman with the knife picked up his severed finger and held it in front of his face with a toothy grin.

Aubrey did not find the location of Basil that day.

The oppression in Leece continued for weeks after that, through Yule and even on the feast of Christ's Mass. Although Basil's location has yet to be discovered, and the brutal way Robert handled the actions would have reprecussions later, as will be seen, the Orthodox of Leece were effectively quashed, and Catholicism became the dominant religion of the province for the first time.

untitled6ol.png

Eep!

Well written....very well written.

I'm not sure how much Constantinople is going to like their new ally though!

You know that comment I made before about Robert not being the fool that a lot of people are taking him for? Well, I'd like to reconsider that opinion after reading the above account. Mayhap he is a bit foolish in his efforts. :(

I also agree with Cat, Constantinople is not going to look all that kindly on Robert's actions... and I wonder if Robert even thought that far ahead? :(

Well then, that makes me feel even more comfortable... NOT!

Agh, sorry for the delay in updates, gents. Been in the field for the past two days. Im coming back Sunday, so expect a longer update Sunday evening or Monday-ish. Lots of good things coming up, too, so stay tuned!

Chapter Two

"Soon will come the time
For those who deceitfully condemn us,
When God will avenge our death.
My Lords, know and do not conceal,
That all those who are against us
Will suffer from our hand."

--Jacques du Molay, March 11th 1314

cd416qc.jpg

castledelmonte8pq.jpg

Castle del Monte, Andria
Feburary 24th, 1068

Duke Robert Guiscard walked like a thunderstorm down the shadowed hall within the deepest bowels of his fortress-home at Andria. His brow furrowed deep in thought, his beard was streaked with grey and his shoulders hunched with the weight of rulership.

With heavy bootsteps he approached the chambers of his wife, Gaita. The door was closed but a servant opened it as he approached and unaware of his lord's approach, walked out with a tray of food, nearly brushing against the Duke.

Robert flung the man to the side with a silent fury, knocking the poor servant into the wall and sending the tray spilling to the rushes on the floor with a clatter that echoed down the hall. Ignoring the horrified commoner's pleas of apology and subservience, Robert booted the heavy door open the rest of the way and stormed into the Duchess' chambers.

Sigelgaita looked up from her desk where she sat with quill and ink scribing something on parchment. With a smile that quickly turned into--pity?--as she recognized her Lord's mood, she stood and quickly hid away her writings.

"My lord," she said, a statement of fact rather than a greeting.

Robert waited for the servant he had knocked down to close the door of the chamber behind him, and then turned back to his wife. Suddenly he grabbed the iron crown upon his brow and flung it against the wall where it clattered loudly and dropped to the floor. He flung himself into a plush chair and rubbed his head slowly.

"Robert, what is it?" she asked, honestly worried.

"I just met with my councillors. I have had nothing but trouble these past two months, Gaita. This turbulent eastern priest has still not been captured; and my prestige has suffered from the retribution I ordered on Brindisi. There is open talk of unrest in the taverns of Bari, our sources say. What's more, so many were killed in the trials and executions, that there are no workers for the dockyards and fisheries, and taxes from the entire province are at record lows."

"Passing trials, my lord husband. Time will show that you acted honorably, and the folk of Bari will fear your retribution should they think of crossing your wishes in the future. Fear not, Robert."

He looked at her, studying her as he had not done in months. She was a peculiar woman, his Sigelgaita. A Lombard princess by birthright, she would have been the countess of Salerno had she remained in her homeland. Robert had only married her to strenghen his ties in Italia after he came from Normandy into his brothers' court. Her brother was the ruler of that city now, and Robert coveted its' riches as some men covet another's wife. He loved her, after a fashion, familiarity and friendship from the many years they had been wed--though his heart remained with his prior wife, Bohemond's mother, whom he had divorced for political reasons and regreted it ever since.

"Perhaps, wife, it is you, I should fear," he offered.

"Wha--me? What on earth are you talking about?"

"Our good Bishop tells me you have been often meeting with our Byzantine embassy of late. And sending missives to your brother in Salerno regularly. I know our relations with the Emperor were greatly strained after Brindisi--tell me, what matters concern you so?"

"If you must know--I have been working to save your reputation, lord. My family lineage has extensive contacts in the Greek courts, I have simply been using what resources I have to further your intrests in the Basileus' palace."

"Why does your brother continue to refuse my offers of vassalization? He must realize I am the rightful overlord of Salerno, as it is quite clearly a part of the Mezzogiorno and my sphere of influence."

"Yet he still rebukes you, yes, lord. He is proud--to a fault--much like you, she thought--and takes much pride in being the last Lombard prince to withstand falling under your banner. He has been courting both the Pope and the Byzantine ruler in Naples, of late, against you."

"I see. And where do your loyalties lie, woman?"

"Why, with you--as always--Lord." She smiled, the seductive smile that Robert loved so much.

"And what of our son? How is young Roger faring in Melfi? I trust you keep updated on him as well?"

"Of course," she was surprised, Robert never asked about his youngest son-her son-the rightful heir of the Duchy. He disliked the effete child, and showered all his affections on Bohemond, the bastard. She quickly seized the opportunity.

"He is learning much there, and enjoying his time. His masters say he is the brightest and most exceptional child they've ever taught. He--"

"I see." Robert cut her off, musing to himself. That was what she hated about him, she could never read his face. His eyes held mysteries, and you could never be sure if he was lying or telling the truth, so cunning was he. The Duke stood.

"Well, I am off. Let me not keep you from your letters to your brother. I have to attend to the signing of treaties with France. Be careful, woman."

With that he left the chamber, leaving her to wonder just what exactly he knew, and how he knew it.

thepovertyofleece8uj.png
allyfrance7pv.png

The conquest of southern Italy is associated with the destiny of the Hauteville brothers, but another Norman family also had an important role to play. The Drengots, descended from a nobleman banished by the duke of Normandy and who would become would-be princes of Capua.

The Lombard principality of Capua was the one most influenced by the politics of Rome, and, above all, by the decisions of the Montecassino abbots. Between 1038 and 1047, it was invaded and annexed by Guaimar IV of Salerno to his seigniory, thanks to his Norman mercenaries. When the legitimate prince of Capua, Pandulf IV, returned, assisted by Emperor Henry III of the Holy Roman Empire, it became the primary objective of Richard Drengot of Aversa, the third member of the family to hold the neighbouring county of Aversa, in theory for the account of the duke of Salerno. Richard Drengot became prince of Capua in 1059, but was not able to exercise real power until 1062, after a long series of skirmishes, and then only thanks to the support of abbot Desiderius of Montecassino. His legitimacy was thus established in much the same way as was Duke Robert's, though Richard lacked the guile of our Lord of Hauteville.

Even so, Richard Drengot was the only potential rival to Duke Robert's claim to authority in the whole of the Mezzogiorno, aside from his own brother in Reggio.

Therefore, it was with great anticipation that the court of Duke Robert recieved news in April of 1068 that Richard of Aversa had been excommunicated by Pope Anselm, over an issue of banditry conducted against Roman citizens along the Appian Way for several weeks, brutally waged and sponsored by Count Roger himself.

Robert Guiscard seized this opportunity and saw it as the chance he needed to reaffirm his place as legitimate overlord of Italia after the massacres in Brindisi. Bishop Aubrey was instructed to immediately begin preaching the injustices that Richard of Aversa has commited on the citizens of ancient Capua, and missives were sent to Rome demanding that God's justice be carried out upon the sinful lord.

Within one month's time, Apulia was ready for a war with Richard, if the count did not rescind his titles and pledge himself to a monastery for the rest of his life. Duke Robert carried the banner as a Christian lord doing what was right in the eyes of the Church. The Pope did not condone his belicosity, but there was little he could do to prevent it, either.

Of course Richard Drengot did as any Norman lord would, and refused to be cowed into submission by the threat of invasion. Insultingly, Duke Robert did not even deign to meet with the Capuan lord personally, and refused all missives and envoys from the city-state. In fact in early June he left Andria to travel south to Tarentum for a council to be held there, and left Sir Serlo in charge of the punitive expedition to Capua. Bohemond and many young lordlings of the Apulian court were to march with Serlo, as instructed by the Duke, as it was clear that Robert saw this as merely a prelude to future wars to be fought.

richard5bn.png

lucera9tu.jpg

JUN 18, 1068
Lucera Castle, Foggia

"And now a total of 293 fully equipped knights, and with their followers that adds another 350 mounted squires and sergeants." Said lord Beneger, a knight and baron of San Severo in Foggia. His servant had brought an extensive list of the gathered forces that were encamped out beyond the long, low stone wall of the old fortress of Lucera, like a glittering sea of banners and iron.

"That is good, the land of Capua is flat and good earth, our mounted forces will be able to exploit the terrain to their advantage," Serlo replied, sitting at the long wooden table with a goblet of warm wine in one hand and a crude parchment map in the other as he examined the routes he would take into Richard of Aversa's demense.

Bohemond stood at the window, looking out over the walls and towards the gathered Army. A thousand men had come when his father had sent the command, and this was merely one of the Duke's personal levies. They had come from the towns and villages of Foggia province, men who had left behind wives and sons, or in some cases brought them along with them, it seemed, as women and children were apparent in the camp at all times. Bohemond was fascinated with the encampment and the glittering spears and shirts of mail, the gleaming nasaled helms and brightly painted shields and colorful banners flowing in the wind from dozens of different knights and warriors from dozens more different villages and towns.

The camp had taken on the spirit of a fair, with games and drinking, whores and charlatans prowling its well ordered rows of tents and hastily erected shacks and sheds where peddlers plied their trade, selling fresh meats and fruits, charms of luck or holy pendants or rings. Music could be heard piping through the air from ten different sources as the men of the army passed their time and hid their apprehensions of the coming battle.

Serlo had been placed in overall command of the forces gathered at Foggia, much to the disdain of several of the minor barons and bannerets who argued the fact that Serlo had no true estates and was not qualified to command them. Bohemond had yelled at two of them last night, quite rudely losing his temper until Serlo had calmed him. That had silenced them enough, though, Bohemond remembered with a smile. He may be only twelve, but he was still the son of Duke Robert, and that counted for something, he mused, even if he was a bastard. He had argued with his Father for days until the Duke relented and allowed him to come on the expedition. His step-mother had intervened on his behalf, apparently, convincing his father to allow him to follow and watch the battle. Strange, he thought, she had never done anything remotely resembling a favor for him before.

Bohemond looked behind him at the sound of raised voices. Serlo and the bannerets were discussing logistics of the operation apparently, and aruging about amounts of rations to be divvied up over the two weeks or so it would take to march the army to Capua. They were set to leave tomorrow at dawn, and already outriders had disembarked to ride a few days ahead of them, led by Sir Geoffry Armand and a dozen of his best riders.

A chill went down his spine and he looked, and saw one of the knights-bachelors was watching him from the table, when he should have been listening to Serlo. He did not recognize the man, who quickly turned away when he met Bohemond's eyes. He was a short, swarthy looking fellow but lanky nontheless, with long, well muscled limbs and a black, braided beard. He wore the tunic and tabard of a knight out of Vieste, on the Foggian coast. He would speak to the man after the meeting, he decided.

serosarmy1za.png

serlosmarchjun18battleofcapua5.png

kingdomofheaven061yz.jpg

19 JUN 1068

The summer sun hung overhead like a watchful eye, blasting the warriors of Serlo's army with its relentless heat. That, and the dust of the road, great clouds of it kicked up by the hundreds and hundreds of horses and mules, wagons and feet marching, made for a miserable experience. The sun glared off the polished helms and spear-tips of the soldiers and knights, the grey and crimson banner of Apulia hung limply on its' staff, no wind would blow this day to ease their discomfort. And this was only day one of a two week march.

Bohemond didn't seem to mind the heat,as he easily rode back and forth along the line upon his chestnut stallion, speaking with the spearmen at one turn and the mounted sergeants at the next. He was extremely fascinated with the order and makeup of the army, Serlo noted, and asked questions of every man he stopped near, or passed on words of encouragement. One day he would make a fine leader, if he was ever granted a title.

He looked much the lord, clad in a finely crafted suit of thinly linked chainmail, strong as could be, that fitted his muscular frame expertly. Over which he wore soft doeskin boots, a fine robe and tunic of crimson lined with cloth-of-gold and a black cloak lined in silver-grey that hung to his knees. His sword, a finely crafted piece of solid Spanish steel, hung comfortably on his side in an ornate scabbard, his dagger, a gift from his father, opposite.

The young lordling rode his horse up alongside Serlo, and nodded his head back towards the army that followed.

"I have spoken with nearly every sergeant and senior man in the column, Serlo, and I have still not seen nor spoken with anyone who knows of the man I saw in the council yesterday."

"My Lord, there were many knights in that meeting. Are you sure you could not have been mistaken, or simply not recalled his countance as well as you thought?" Serlo groaned inwardly. All night Bohemond had been speaking of this mysterious man in the council chamber whom didn't seem to belong there.

"I'm telling you, Serlo. That man was odd. He dressed as a knight but his look--his eyes were those of a sorcerer, or a devil. It is an ill omen."

Serlo rolled his eyes but looked down at his horse so his lord could not see. "As you say, lord. I think you may have missed too much sleep this past week.

"I trust my eyes more than I trust most of your servants, good friend," Bohemond said, knowing there were those in his father's household who conspired agaisnt him constantly. Being a bastard, one leanred early in life who ones enemies were.

"Well, you have nothing to fear here. We are away from Andria, and your step-mother has no power in Capua, that we know of. Fear not. Besdies, no one would dare move against you, your father would bring the wrath of Hell upon them."

Bohemond wasn't so sure.

The army marched for days, and still yet the mysterious bearded knight was not sighted again within the ranks of soldiers. They foraged the countryside for provisions whilst they were in Apulia, and villagers were made to hand over supplies of meat and bread for the army as they passed through. Once they crossed into the territory of Capua, Serlo was quick to enforce strict rules on pillage--his lord wanted this country intact--and was forced to send several men to the gallows at camps here and there until the message was finally recieved by the lower ranks. The knights were nearly as bad, and Serlo had even less control over them. There were several rapes commited by the gentry that went unpunished, while the spearman would have-and did-lose a finger or an ear.

The army arrived in good order though on the 2nd of July, 1068, and the outriders led by Sir Geoffrey reported the walls of Capua had been reinfoced and made ready for seige. A good-sized force was encamped near the city, he reported, with many knights and several hundred spearmen and archers. What was more disturbing, was that banners of the Republic of Venice had been sighted amongst the myriad others in the enemy camp, either Richard of Aversa had allies in the Dominic Council, or Venissian mercenaries had been recruited to bolster his numbers. Serlo's spies had not known of this, and a war-council was summoned that night to be held in the Marshal's tent, and emissaries from Capua were invited to discuss terms.

Last edited:
Hm, given Duke Robert's 'diplomacy' were I the Capuans I would tell Serlo what to do with his invitation for emissaries.

I have to say I don't think much of the duke or half his entourage...which is probably a good thing, because it means you're doing an excellent job of conveying medieval ideals and politics. I especially liked your description of the Apulian army encampment as having a 'fair' atmosphere. It reminded me of innumerable renaissance fairs and definitely sounds accurate.

Apulian Camp
4 JULY 1068

Bohemond watched as the prince of Capua's envoys rode out of the Apulian camp, at a gallop lest they be detained by over-zealous guardsmen who had watched them negotiate for two days with increasing pompousness. The horsemen dissappeared down the Appian Way towards the city and the camp of their enemy that no doubt was just as active tonight as his own; tonight had been the end of Serlo's ultimatum for peace, tomorrow there would be battle.

Some of the lords were apprehensive; they did not expect to fight what turned out to be two companies of Venician mercenaries, nearly 100 trained crossbowmen and a troop nearly as many Swabian swordsmen led by a monster of a man called Gunter, who's father had fought at Civiate. Those, coupled with Richard of Aversa's own retinue of nearly a thousand would make for quite a battle.

Serlo had already sent dispatches to Benevento for reinforcements, but they would arrive late for the battle all knew. Now there was nothing to do but trust in the strengh of arms and God, Bohemond had told the men he'd spoken with at dinner that night.

On the morrow, it had been decided that Serlo would deploy his main force in the center of the field across a broad front lined with spearmen and foot sergeants mailed in chain much as his knights. Behind them would stand the few archers they had mustered, and the dismounted knights with sword and shield would stand inbetween the two, ready to rush to the forefront when the enemy closed.

On the wings would ride the knights, divided equally on the left and right flanks with some 150 knights and as many sergeants on each side. Serlo and Bohemond would ride with the Ducal escort knights, and Bohemond was strictly forbidden to take part in any fighting, but to watch the battle unfold to study its manoeuvres and tactics.

treeinfog6fc.jpg

05 JULY, 1068, Dawn
The Battle of Capua

The sun's pink light crested the snowy mountains distant and illuminated the eastern horizon . A thin mist hung low on the plain, droplets of condensation covered the tall grasses and the armor and weapons of the gathered hosts. Crickets could be heard chirping, unawares of the rancor that was soon to be unleashed in this palce.

In the distance, the early morning light glittered on the forest of spears and lances of the Capuan army and its allies. They had deployed themselves across the Appian Way, with their center and right flank heavy with the Swabian mercenaries and swordsmen in bright tabards and mail. The line stretched out a good few hundred meters beyond that with spearmen and sergeants, with Richard of Aversa's cavalry on the far left and himself with his knights in the center. Behind them were assembeled his archers, mostly untrained, but a fearsome force was present in the Venician crossbowmen who stood ready to unleash a shower of piercing bolts.

Across the distance the Apulian army was assembling in the dawn mists, and Serlo had set up his command post near a small copse of trees that overlooked the plain and the road. In this center the Ducal knights were armored and ready astride their destriers who stood eager to gallop across the field, stirring restlessly. Here too Bohemond was, mounted on his own chestnut stallion, watching with great anticipation. He was armed and armored for protection but would not be participating in the battle, and the knights around him were under strict orders to protect his life at all costs.

The Apulian cavalry cantered slowly into a long line facing the Capuans, the knights moving their steeds into precision formations practiced for years and years, their lances held easily in mailed hands, banners flying from the tips. They were moving at a slow, steady march, yet still the ground thundered from their hoofbeats.

In the line, men did the last minute things soldiers do before a battle. The nervous habits of checking equipment common to all ages, the buckling of straps, the adjusting of helmets or sore spots in the armor, the slow, methodical cleaning of one's weapon or shield. The sergeants and men-at-arms, the common soldiers, all stood in the line with spear or sword ready to face whatever survived after the charge of the heavy cavalry.

In the rear, the Apulian archers had already strung and tightened their curved bows, for they would begin the battle with the duel of missles common to warfare in the era. They stood back from the main line, and most of them could not even see the enemy. Their sergeants stood ahead, however, in positions of observance and could call back carefully ordered distances and fire orders to their formations. Each man carried a leather quiver with thirty barbed arrows, but by the time the battle was joined each man would be lucky to fire half of that number. They were not experts, most of them hunters or simply men who could afford no other weapon but the bow. Drilled for a few days, now they could preform the rudimentary aspects of military archery, but would carry a battle by no means.

As the cavalry finished its march into formation, the priests conducted their prayers over the formation and gave men their graces. Serlo rode toward the line of archers and gave the command to their lieutenant to commence their barrage.

"Archers!" Echoed the call along the line, repeated by the sergeants.

They drew an arrow and readied it, aiming upwards as their leaders gave the distance. "Loose!" Came the command, and the field echoed with the thrum of dozens of shafts flying into the air that is unforgettable once heard.

Already the Capuan formation was marching foward, it seems Richard was not one to stand in place when action could be taken. He had decided on the offense, to seize the initiative in this engagement.
untitled9mk.png
The Apulian Archers

Bohemond's steed was restless as movement commenced across the field. He stood up in his saddle to get a better vantage, and was sure to study the movements of the units and formations. Richard wasted no time, already his knights were moving into a wedge and steadily crossing the field. Behind him his lines moved in good accord to close the distance as arrows rained around his men, catching the unlucky through a shoulder or leg and throwing them to the ground in agony. Many more of the shafts struck shields or glanced off mail or simply flung into the ground. Men were already screaming in fear, and some horses had been hit by arrows and were struggling to keep their footing.

The metallic crunch of Richard's army on the march was a fascinating sound to Bohemond, and he was awestruck by the power these two men held over their respective hosts, Serlo and his opponent.

bohemondsvantagepoint1qb.png
Bohemond's Vantage Point

Serlo watched the battle as it unfolded before him with a masterful eye, Richard was no tactician and was resorting to brute force. He calmly issued orders to his runners who carried his messages up and down the line as the arhcers continued to fire one arrow after the other. Soon the fire was returned by the Capuan archers across the field, and arrows began to strike the front ranks of footmen. The crossbowmen had not been moved yet, oddly. A horn was heard across the field and Serlo could see Lord Richard waving his sword and his knights began an all out charge across the plain.

They moved into two columns and spurred their horses into a thunderous gallop, lances lowered. Dust kicked up behind them and rose in great clouds as they rode directly towards the center of Serlo's main line. What bravado, he thought wryly. On his orders, the front ranks lowered their longspears and prepared to receive the charge. Men shook as they tried to control their fear watching the knights approach, their lances gleaming in the dawn light.

richardofaversacharges6ny.png
Richard Charges the Apulian line​

With a thunderous crash the Capuans broke on the spearmen like a wave hitting the rocky shore and horses crashed into bloodied speartips. Men were swept aside like dolls as the cavlary stampede through them, and soldiers tripped over their dead companions left and right as they struggled to retain their footing. Spears were shivered and lances broken as each struck home, riders were flung from their horses violently only to be stabbed as they lie on the ground with broken limbs. Horses screamed like men and men screamed like horses.

richardchargestheapulianline5q.png

Serlo shouted orders left and right as chaos erupted in the Apulian line. He struggled to keep good order in his ranks and yelled the fear of God himself into his men to hold in place. He ordered the archers to contine their barrage and sent messages to the knights on the flanks to sweep in and charge the Capuan center, cutting Richard off from his force. The dismounted swordsmen and sergeants were ordered forward to charge the Capuans, and all rushed forward with battle cries and raised weapons, to stab, claw, pull men from their horses and empty their bowels with sword and spear.

thecrushofbattle6rl.png

outridersskirmish7sm.png

The battle was joined truely as the bulk of the opposing forces met in the clash of steel on steel and the press of bodies. The cacophony of the engagement was deafening, the din of metal, the flight of arrows, the screams of the wounded and terrified. Richard's Swabian swordsmen fought like devils out of some northern mythology, and swung their heavy two-handed swords like giant clubs that split men and horses asunder, armor and all. The grasses were stained red with blood as the reaper enjoyed his work that morning and the flower of youth of two regions were cut down.

Richard's horsmen cut through the main line and began to engage the defenseless archers who were cut down like dogs and began to flee for what else could they do. Serlo drew his sword and ordered the Ducal guards into a counter-charge to hold off the Count of Capua's advantage. Two of the knights swung round to guard Lord Bohemond.

"Lord, ride this way, it is not safe here," one said, his voice muffled by his helm.

Bohemond and the two knights galloped back through the copse of trees, Bohemond looking over his shoulder as he did to catch glimpses of the carnage that was still unfolding. The din was swallowed up as they rode into the forest and shadows fell around them for the sun had still not fully risen.

Bohemond did not even suspect as the club struck him in the back of the head and lights flashed before his eyes. He slumped in the saddle with a groan and fell to the earth in a metallic crash of armor on the dirt. His horse neighed and walked off.

The other knight turned around and mouthed "What the hell are you--" as he drew his sword half-way, a dagger appeared from nowhere it seemed in his unprotected throat and a gout of blood sprayed out across his tunic. His sword had not yet been drawn when he fell out of his saddle and collapsed to the earth.

Alexius removed the masked helm, and tossed it aside. Dismounting, he walked to the unconscious Norman lord and with a smile began tying his hands with a fine, silken rope.

Awesome description of the battle, most well done, sir! :cool:

I agree with Jwolf, that was a most foul form or treachery. Me thinks, Duke Robert will be most put out when he reads of this.... and I would not want to be anyone nearby... especially Lord Serlo, victory or no victory! :eek:

Jwolf--Indeed, Alexius is masterful at his craft. We will have to see where he goes from here! The pictures are from a medieval mod of Rome Total War, I played the battle out in custom mode with the proper amounts of troops and types, and took choice screenshots as I did so.

Draco--Thanks, and yes, Robert will be furious, it seems he has been out-guiscarded this time.

aftermath8mf.png
Battle of Capua, Noon​

Carrion crows had begun picking at the dead, as well as those not quite so lucky to be dead yet. Their calls to each other echoed across the field, blending with the moans of the dying and the shuffle of armor and horses as those left living made sense of the carnage and coped with the loss of friends.

Clunaic monks moved amongst the bodies like ghostly stewards of the afterlife, turning faces upwards to check for death, and if alive, administering final rites. Those who were not badly wounded were carried into carts being pulled across the field to the nearest aid station, where little hope could be found today for those who survived whatever blow befell them. All about the field lie scattered weapons and splintered shields, bits of cloth and armor, helmets cast aside as its former bearer lie dying. The scavengers would be out soon, and by nightfall thieves would roam the field like mice, breaking fingers to steal the rings off them, splitting mail open just to get the clothing worn beneath.

Lord Serlo de Hauteville walked amongst the dead with a woolen scarf held up to his nose and mouth and wrapped around his shoulders. In one hand he still carried his naked sword, the blade the rusty color of dried blood from tip to base. His armor bore the marks of battle, dents, pitches, and tears, but over all he was no worse for wear than this morning. His horse had been slain, skewered by one of his own footmen's spear in the chaos of their charge, he was lucky to have not been crushed by the mount as it fell.

The Capuan army had retreated from the field in disarray about an hour beforehand, and this was victory.

He saw Count Richard flee the field with two or three other riders, and the last he saw of him they were making their way north along the Appian Way at a gallop. His army had been shattered, and the Venician crossbowmen had not even fired a shot, rather they marched off the field as soon as the battle was joined. Seems they knew how to pick a winner, these mercenaries.

Making his way back to the camp, Serlo saw several men he knew amongst the dead. Now was not the time for grief, he steeled himself against the pain and though his body was leaden with exhaustion, he managed to force himself to put on his leader's face when he heard his name called weakly.

"Lord Serlo!" came the cry again, hoarsely.

Looking down, he knelt, and reached his hand out to grasp the hand of the man who had called him. It was Sir Geoffry Armand; whom led the outriders that had screened the army's march from Foggia. He lied under three other bodies, only part of his torso, one arm and his head were visible. His armor was soaked in crimson, and from the smell Serlo knew most of it was his own. His hand was weak as Serlo grasped it, but he managed to squeeze it with a small bit of life.

"Lord,l-lord Serlo..the day...is won?" He asked, closing his eyes.

"Yes, old friend. Thanks in no small part to you and your riders."

The knight smiled with satisfaction. "Y, you flatter me, Lord Marshal. My men?"

From the looks of the environs, most of them were here already. Serlo swallowed hard, and tired to look hopeful.

"They will be well rewarded for their valor, Geoff."

"You...you were never a good liar, Lord". Geoffry coughed as he attempted to laugh, and blood spittled at his lips.

"I seem to be one of few in my famliy who are not," Serlo said with a smile. He gripped the old knight's hand and told him, "rest now, Geoffry of Armand. You have completed your service. I will see you born in state back to your family in Argentan."

"No, no Lord. I want, to be buried here in Italia..the land we fought for," This was said strongly, to Serlo's surprise.

"As you wish, good friend. As you wish." Another squeeze of his hand, and Geoffry de Armand passed into Christ's arms.

1candle3hi.jpg

Bohemond awoke with his mind recoiling in shock. The throbbing pain in his head brought tears to his eyes, and his vision rolled lopsided left and right before the blurring stopped and it came into focus. He seemed to be hearing echoes in his head, and when he shook it to clear the cobwebs it only hurt moreso.

"Ah, our lordling awakens," came the mockingly pleasant, thickly accented Slavic voice Bohemond knew he had heard somewhere before, but his mind was so muddled he could not place it.

His vision returned, he thought, and he saw the orange glowing flicker of a candle , making shadows dance on the darkened walls. He tried to move, and realized he was lying on his side on the cold, earthen floor, his hands bound so tightly the rope had cut into his wrists.

"Do not waste your engery, youngling. You'll need it for the journey. I think I may have struck you a bit harder than I intended."

Bohemond's eyes darted around, trying to place the voice in the room, but he was still so muddled he got dizzy as he did so. With a groan he rested his head on the earth and gritted his teeth.

His captor chuckled from somewhere..over there? in the darkness. He calmed himself, and listened to his other senses. He could hear droplets of water..was he in a cavern? And..a scraping sound..the sound of a dagger and a whetstone grinding it. From somewhere beyond and behind him, he heard what sounded like rainfall.

Trying to prop himself up and put on some semblence of respectability, Bohemond leaned against the nearest stone wall of the cave.

"I do not know who you are, or what you expect to gain from this," he started, when a rough hand grabbed him from behind and he felt a boot in his back knock him to the floor again. With dirt in his mouth he spat, teetering on the edge of consciousness.

"Silence you, You'll speak when spoken to," Came a different voice of the man who'd struck him. This one was Saracen, he recognized from merchants who'd come to Bari in past years.

"If you think you can ransom me, you're mistken" Bohemond spat before a heavy fist struck him again, sending him reeling into darkness...

Last edited:
This has definitely been set up beautifully. Clearly Alexius isn't closely following the queen's wishes, or the boy would already be dead.

I have some ideas where this might end up going...

Bohemund said:
...I will make my own choices."

I have a feeling he's going to get to eat his words.

panzano20sunset20adj20sep20008.jpg

Apulian Camp, Evening

* * * * *​

Serlo rubbed his aching head and took another swig of the chilled summer wine the Capuan emissaries had brought with them. He sat, but it only made the aches and pains of his lethargic body more pronounced, for you notice the little pains when you are at rest.

The flap of his gilded Commander's tent ruffled and in walked his squire, Lancelus d' Evreux. He was a gifted young swordsman who's father had been trained by William of the Iron-Arm himself, and was good friends with Duke Robert's brother, Richard the Great Count.

"M'lord, the Capuan merchants have departed the camp, and are being escorted back to the city as you instructed," he said, bowing slightly as he did so.

Serlo nooded. He had met with three envoys from the wealthy city that afternoon, who had ridden out to the Apulian camp under a white banner of truce. They had been spokesmen three of the most powerful families in the city, rulers of the lords' council who had vested authority in Count Richard. They brought news that he had fled southward to his manor at Aversa, leaving behind his possessions and court at the city's keep. They called for an end to aggressions,and agreed to name Duke Robert as their leige if Serlo could promise the city would not be sacked and looted. It seems Robert Guiscard's violence at Brindisi had had the effect he desired in spreading fear of his wroth.

He had agreed to their terms, and sent a troop of knights with them under command of Baron Rainauld Gerardus to establish themsleves at Capua before he could inform Lord Robert and await further instructions.

"Lord?" Lancelus asked, apparently having been standing there the entire time.

"What?" Serlo's eyes were closed.

"Lord, there was one other thing, Lord Royce is here to speak with you," he said.

Serlo sighed, and took the last of the wine in a gulp. "Very well, send him in," he said despondently and stood, arranging his tunic and making himself respectable.

Baron Adhemar Royce, Lord of Lucera and one of the main financiers of Duke Robert's campaign in Capua, stooped low to enter the tent for he stood a head taller than most other lords in the army. Still clad in armour, Royce was a striking figure at any time, but none moreso than when clad in the dressings of his profession. His silver-grey hair was sleeked back from a high, noble brow and his hawkish nose jutted out from deep-set, dark and guiling eyes.

He looked about the tent chamber briefly and proceeded to pour himself a cup of the summerwine on the table. Serlo nodded at his entrance and waved him to a chair.

"Lord Royce, always a pleasure," he spoke for the sake of pleasantness, though he despised the man.

"Indeed," Royce returned, and, seeming to gauge the wine in his mouth, apparently decided he approved of it and swallowed, then sat, tossing his cloak behind him.

"So, what did those weasels in silk and vermine ask of you?" He asked, leaning back in the chair.

"I assume you refer to our new subjects in Capua, Adhemar. They simply want assurances their property will not be confiscated, which I judge a generous price to avoid a seige."

"Hmph. You had them in your grip, my lord of Hauteville. By refusing to let them choke for a while, you show weakness, if I may be so bold."

"You may not. Your retinue may be the largest here, Royce, but I am the Lord-Marshal, and I command the Duke's armies."

Serlo was silent for a second, then added "and speak with his voice, if --I-- may be so bold."

"As you say," Adhemar resigned. "So, I assume you will persue Richard?"

Serlo nodded. "Of course. As long as he lives he can claim Capua for his own. They say he fled south to his family's lands in Aversa. He will attempt to withold us there, I judge, Casaluce is easily defended."

Adhemar knew the castle to which he referred, The Normans had dwelled in Aversa nearly as long as their old capital at Melfi, and it was stoutly built.

"He will ride swiftly, there's no hope of catching him on the road," Lord Royce offered. "We should assemble the army as quickly as possible to march on Aversa, before he can call any allies he might still have or raze the countryside behind him."

"Lord Serlo!" came a yell from outside the tent, and the rush of footsteps. Lancelus ran inside. "Master, you had best see this."

Serlo groaned and stood to walk out into the evening, promising himself he would make Lancelus scour his mail for days if this was something trival--

He saw a scruffy looking common woodsman holding the reins of a brown destrier, on the back of which was slung a body. Still armored and wearing the crimson cloak and badge of a Ducal Knight, the man's throat had been pierced and his life had run down his chest hours ago. His eyes were rolled back in his head, and the woodsman held his helmet in one hand.

"What is the meaning of this?" Lord Royce demanded as he walked outside and beheld the scene.

Serlo's face was gaunt in realization. "Where is Lord Bohemond?" he asked to no one in paticular.

Last edited: