• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Disregard I can confirm the date change working.

On another note I am VERY interested in your mod, good luck!

On another note I am VERY interested in your mod, good luck!
Thanks! So far I've joined the discussion for an Imperator extended timeline mod with @qweyt so we'll see how that goes. :) It seems best to wait until after v1.2 is released because the game mechanics will be changing a lot.

EDIT: This mod didn't pan out for lack of time and interest.

Last edited:
troubleshooting — work in progress
So this is what I have so far: a very linear set of on_action events tied to in-game dates (roughly according to historical references) for the spread of Christianity, barbarian invasions (simulated with powerful strongholds appearing on the Danube frontier) and plagues in the second and third centuries. These also include stability hits to countries owning affected provinces. The plague and barbarian events are triggered by countries owning Rome (p:1), Byzantion (p:1453) and/or Athens (p:417).

The spread of Christianity events are essentially an expansion of Lensy6's A Christianity Mod and uses his code (note the L6 prefix for some files) and localization for English (I added one for German). There is little to no descriptive text for any events added yet.

I've adjusted civilization values, conversion requirements and technology tables to prevent tribes from creating monarchies too early (but not making this entirely impossible). Converting to Christianity is impossible until 301 CE (this can easily be changed) since I didn't want it to overwhelm the map too early.

The problem is it's not stable and I haven't been able to run it into the fourth century consistently without crashing. Hence there are no added events yet for the 300s CE although my intent is to add Arianism and have it spread quickly after a First Council of Nicaea event in 325 CE (auc1078) [or have entire countries flip to it representing their changed — heretical — status after the council]. I'd also like to add Donatism at some point. There could also be two more barbarian invasion events referencing the third and fourth Gothic Wars.

Since I'm a bit wary of affecting the death rate for families (it's difficult to keep them all alive as it is) I didn't add any character events for the plagues: they only affect pops. I'd like to add some character events later around the spread of Christianity although the initial basic plan is for simple country and province events, many of which are hidden to avoid too many pop-ups.

My aim was for an initial version 0.1 to run consistently until January 17, auc1148 (395 CE), a historical date marking when the Roman Empire split permanently into two halves, Western and Eastern, and the year that the Huns invaded Europe.

If anyone is interested in running this and seeing what might cause the instability and crashes, or offering conceptual feedback, that would be helpful and appreciated. I don't think there would be too many significant alterations for v1.2 Cicero; but this is for v1.1 Pompey.

Attachments

• IR_TE.zip
    173,5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Here's a slightly updated version with my most recent save. Christianity was a bit OP in this run through and spread across the map by the mid-3rd century CE, so I added some events to start spreading Manichaeism, starting in the year 1026 auc in Ctesiphon (p:912) around the time and place Mani died. As with most events so far it's set up with linear and definite outcomes (e.g. any Christians in the Aryan culture will convert to Manichaeism if the event fires) just to test out the effects and see if they are working.

I can't get the timeline past January 1, 1025. Can anyone test this? :) I don't know exactly what's causing it to crash.

[The major Mediterranean power turned out to be Arcadia this time, since Rome was almost wiped off the map and is clinging to a few cities in Italy.]

Attachments

• IR_TE.zip
    174,3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1024.6.25 - Arkadien.zip
    196,6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Updating for I:R 2.0, I:R→CK3 converter
Inspired by the I:R→CK3 converter, and hoping for an update to mods that extend the timeline, I continued working on this one again, which I started a couple years ago during 1.0, over the past couple of months, and it runs pretty well up until the 5th century CE (1100s AUC). But then things get really "sticky" with some freezes and crashes, and I'm not sure why. If anyone would like to test this out, it adds Christianity starting around 783 AUC, with some saints as "deities" and ability to convert around 300 CE (1053 AUC); and also Manichaeism spreads starting in the the 3rd century CE, although no option to convert to that yet.

There is also the simple "plagues" mechanic that triggers for the historical dates of the Antonine and Cyprian plagues, around 165 CE (918 AUC), and 249 CE (1002 AUC), respectively.

And finally, in the late 4th century and for most of the 5th century CE, there are some barbarian strongholds that spawn above the Pontic Steppe region that is meant to simulate the invasion of the Huns.

There is not much localization added yet, at all. This is a rough version of a mod, to test out mechanics.

Next I would like to make the saint "deities" actual characters, but I'm not sure how to create and deify a character for a pantheon of a newly added religion, or if that's possible. If anyone knows how, I'd appreciate any tips.

Also, I think this should be compatible with Invictus, but I haven't tested that yet.

I tested this with the I:R→CK3 converter and it worked great, although I had to add "hunnic" culture in the converter's Configuration files (I linked it to "bolghar" — not entirely accurate, but fair enough, considering the jump ahead in the converter timeline).

Attachments

• IR_TE.zip
    187,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Inspired by the I:R→CK3 converter, and hoping for an update to mods that extend the timeline, I continued working on this one again, which I started a couple years ago during 1.0, over the past couple of months, and it runs pretty well up until the 5th century CE (1100s AUC). But then things get really "sticky" with some freezes and crashes, and I'm not sure why. If anyone would like to test this out, it adds Christianity starting around 783 AUC, with some saints as "deities" and ability to convert around 300 CE (1053 AUC); and also Manichaeism spreads starting in the the 3rd century CE, although no option to convert to that yet.

There is also the simple "plagues" mechanic that triggers for the historical dates of the Antonine and Cyprian plagues, around 165 CE (918 AUC), and 249 CE (1002 AUC), respectively.

And finally, in the late 4th century and for most of the 5th century CE, there are some barbarian strongholds that spawn above the Pontic Steppe region that is meant to simulate the invasion of the Huns.

There is not much localization added yet, at all. This is a rough version of a mod, to test out mechanics.

Next I would like to make the saint "deities" actual characters, but I'm not sure how to create and deify a character for a pantheon of a newly added religion, or if that's possible. If anyone knows how, I'd appreciate any tips.

Also, I think this should be compatible with Invictus, but I haven't tested that yet.

I tested this with the I:R→CK3 converter and it worked great, although I had to add "hunnic" culture in the converter's Configuration files (I linked it to "bolghar" — not entirely accurate, but fair enough, considering the jump ahead in the converter timeline).

That's brilliant! I might have to have another go at Imperator soon!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's brilliant! I might have to have another go at Imperator soon!
Great! I'm pretty sure it's the barbarian stuff that creates the issues with slowdowns. So I've been tinkering with the strongholds (added as provincial modifiers), and making them weaker does improve things, but then it's kind of a paltry horde of "Huns" that are really not a problem at all to deal with that late in the timeline, when big blob countries have most of the technology already.

Great Idea, I was looking for something just like this to have a fun megacampaign.
The date extention is definetly working, but the christianity part is broken I think?
At least for me at the year 1 I received an event that mentioned it, and just took some stability, however, looking at religions it didn't spawned, i waited some time, until 785 just to be sure, and I still can't find it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Great Idea, I was looking for something just like this to have a fun megacampaign.
The date extention is definetly working, but the christianity part is broken I think?
At least for me at the year 1 I received an event that mentioned it, and just took some stability, however, looking at religions it didn't spawned, i waited some time, until 785 just to be sure, and I still can't find it.
Thanks for testing this! Sometimes it takes until around July 786 AUC for the first conversion event to fire. Check Jerusalem or if you own Jerusalem there should be a pop-up event for Pentecost (from Lensy6's A Christianity Mod). By the way are you using the version uploaded on July 18, 2021?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
v0.5 — basic events complete up to 1229 / AD 476 (minimal localization)
So I've added icons for the Christian "deities" — saints and archangels — as well as pop-up events for the first country to use a saint's omen that creates a (dead) character and a relic (only for saints, not archangels). I've also added a bit of localization and tweaked the barbarian/hunnic invasion events to improve performance while keeping it somewhat challenging.

I don't get CTDs anymore but I haven't run this consistently into the sixth century AD or beyond (past 1253 AUC). [There isn't any content there and I'm hoping for an eventual I:R→CK3 converter option to convert to AD 476.]

Next step is to get all the English (and maybe German) localization complete for an initial release of this simple mod.

Feedback welcome from anyone who can test this out! :) Also looking for help with localization files.

Attachments

• IR_TE_v05.zip
    923,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I know you're not finished developing this, but in the future, would you consider a patch for Invictus (Assuming it isn't already compatible)?

I know you're not finished developing this, but in the future, would you consider a patch for Invictus (Assuming it isn't already compatible)?
Sure, and to integrate it with @IlikeTrains extension mod, which I think might eventually work with Invictus. I'm curious if and how they extend the timeline though, and how more experienced modders would add content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for testing this! Sometimes it takes until around July 786 AUC for the first conversion event to fire. Check Jerusalem or if you own Jerusalem there should be a pop-up event for Pentecost (from Lensy6's A Christianity Mod). By the way are you using the version uploaded on July 18, 2021?
It seems I was just being stupid, it did spawn I just hadn't checked throughly, it also did spread pretty well, altough I guess with no consideration for borders(?) since it seems to have spread better in asia minor than in the levant.
And yeah, I was using that version.
Also, is there any problem in updating the mod to this new version mid playthrough?

So I've added icons for the Christian "deities" — saints and archangels — as well as pop-up events for the first country to use a saint's omen that creates a (dead) character and a relic (only for saints, not archangels). I've also added a bit of localization and tweaked the barbarian/hunnic invasion events to improve performance while keeping it somewhat challenging.

I don't get CTDs anymore but I haven't run this consistently into the sixth century AD or beyond (past 1253 AUC). [There isn't any content there and I'm hoping for an eventual I:R→CK3 converter option to convert to AD 476.]

Next step is to get all the English (and maybe German) localization complete for an initial release of this simple mod.

Feedback welcome from anyone who can test this out! :) Also looking for help with localization files.
Little question :

are your deification events working well for the saints or you haven't tested?

It seems I was just being stupid, it did spawn I just hadn't checked throughly, it also did spread pretty well, altough I guess with no consideration for borders(?) since it seems to have spread better in asia minor than in the levant.
And yeah, I was using that version.
Also, is there any problem in updating the mod to this new version mid playthrough?
I think it should be fine updating to the latest version if you started with the one posted on July 18, 2021.

I noticed that Christianity tended to replace Judaism because of how Lensy6 set up the events for A Christianity Mod, so I tweaked some event files and it slowed the conversion of the regions in Palestine, Syria and Lower Egypt somewhat. It could certainly be adjusted further if it seems too slow in those regions compared to history.
Little question :

are your deification events working well for the saints or you haven't tested?
They are really simple events: they trigger once by calling the saint's omen, and then set a global variable that blocks them from ever triggering again. So the first country to make that saint part of their pantheon and invoke their omen, gets the deified character and a relic. They all seemed to be working fine but more testing is of course appreciated. I tried to keep things really simple. It would be more interesting to make a chain of events as part of a mission.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure if it had something to do with the update, but after 930 the game tends to crash a lot, it seems kinda random when it happens. I got it to crash as far as 942 and as soon as 937.

Reactions:
Well, I'm not sure if it had something to do with the update, but after 930 the game tends to crash a lot, it seems kinda random when it happens. I got it to crash as far as 942 and as soon as 937.
Darn. I didn't get a CTD after testing the updates with an ongoing game but that's one save game on one computer. What are the error log files saying for your crashes? Any other mods running?

Darn. I didn't get a CTD after testing the updates with an ongoing game but that's one save game on one computer. What are the error log files saying for your crashes? Any other mods running?
Running it with Invictus, seemed to work well enough until now.
I have attached the error log, but the las entry seems to be about a peace treaty without an ongoing war?

Also I think
[16:17:49][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/on_action/te_custom_on_actions.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:17:49][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/on_action/te_monthly_country.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:17:56][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'setup/provinces/te_default.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:17:58][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/deities/01_christianity.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:17:58][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/deities/01_manichaeism.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:17:59][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'decisions/te_decisions.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:18:02][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/event_pictures/te_event_pictures.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[16:18:03][lexer.cpp:332]: File 'common/script_values/te_event_values.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
might be related? Not sure it cause the crash, tho.

Attachments

• error.log
    75,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hmm I get those kinds of errors too, but without any CTDs. Not sure how the last two "Assertion failed" errors would relate to any of these mod files. I haven't tested this with Invictus at all though.

Hmm I get those kinds of errors too, but without any CTDs. Not sure how the last two "Assertion failed" errors would relate to any of these mod files. I haven't tested this with Invictus at all though.
Yeah, I figured those weren't causing the crashes, maybe it is incompatibility with Invictus.
However I find it weird the problem only manifested now.