• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

havenost

Captain
52 Badges
Dec 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
Does anyone know of any actual asset mods that actually act like the water treatment plants from Sim City 3000 / Sim City 4?

Where it actually retroactively cleans the water pollution from a close water source.

Because when I browse the steamworkshop all I find are mods that either just have sewage pipes that don't output any pollution but don't actually clean the pollution that is already in the water... in something like a lake where it doesn't just drain away. Or I find mods that act like water towers, and don't require an actual water connection or a drainage connection at all since they just make the sewage magically disappear without being dumped.

Because even though I play a self made map that does have a river that flows off the map, I still like to roleplay and clean the water before it floats down stream. I dam up the sewage water in between 2 dams and I would like to a building that pumps the water from there and clean it.

I don't mind the fact that it increase water production as long as its able to suck up the pollution from a polluted water source, clean it, spit it back out as clean water... without making your people sick if it goes through your pipes.

In Sim City, your water pumps could suck up dirty water, and your people would still be fine as long as the dirty water passed through a water treatment center in the pipe system before it reached the people. It also cleaned polluted water sources that had no drainage... where lets say you had a lake that was complete black due to all the pollution, after so many years or so depending on how many treatment centers you had, it would completely remove all pollution from the lake.

So essentially that is what I am looking for.

Your mod base on your description just sounds like what I described in the original post... which is it acts like a water tower, and just reduces pollution level in sewage, it doesn't actually clean polluted water sources.

Last edited:
There are several clarifier & water treatment assets in the workshop that process sewage and provide a portion of clean water back.

Avanya's modular set comes to mind off the top of my head.

You want to continue using sewage treatment plants that pollute a water source and you want them to clean a polluted source simultaneously? You also want it to act as a fresh water supplier?
How odd.
I prefer to keep all of my water pollution free by sending my sewage underground using this.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649924162
I do not expect my sewage treatment plant to produce drinking water and nor do I expect it to clean up polluted water either. It has one function and one function only, sewage disposal.
Any polluted water on any map is easily removed with the use of the ELT mod,
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307
by reducing sea level to zero (removing all water from the map) and then returning it to it's original value = no more polluted water.

Reactions:
You want to continue using sewage treatment plants that pollute a water source and you want them to clean a polluted source simultaneously? You also want it to act as a fresh water supplier?
How odd.
Not odd. Realistic.

Reactions:
Not odd. Realistic.
It is very unrealistic. Sewage treatment occurs to lessen the impact of pollution on the ecology. However, there are hardly any initiatives that are actively engaged in turning polluted water back into a fresh drinking water supply.
No, this sounds more like wish fulfillment than an attempt to simulate reality in a game that is a poor simulator. If you wish to duplicate the function of SimCity assets, then just say so, but please don't argue that it's because it's realistic.

Reactions:
It is very unrealistic. Sewage treatment occurs to lessen the impact of pollution on the ecology. However, there are hardly any initiatives that are actively engaged in turning polluted water back into a fresh drinking water supply.
No, this sounds more like wish fulfillment than an attempt to simulate reality in a game that is a poor simulator. If you wish to duplicate the function of SimCity assets, then just say so, but please don't argue that it's because it's realistic.
uh huh... I see.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarifier

Images of functioning treatment plants...
http://www.123rf.com/stock-photo/water_treatment_plant.html

Last edited:
Reactions:
How odd.

No I want sewage plants to simply suck up water and clean the dirty water as it passes through water network. Nothing more and nothing less.

Think of it like this.

How the game works at the moment
  1. Water goes through the pump, which sucks in the water,regardless whether its clean or polluted.
  2. The water goes to your people, who then pollute it..
  3. The polluted water is vented out of your sewage pipe

What I want to see is

Scenario #1 Water treatment right after pump.
  1. Water goes through the pump, which sucks in the water, regardless whether its clean or polluted.
  2. The water will then go into a water treatment node to clean the water before it goes to your people. (Which doesn't produce water for usage, but rather just filters it as it passing along).
  3. The clean water goes to your people, who then pollute it.
  4. The polluted water is vented out of your sewage pipe.
Scenario #2 Water treatment right before draining.
  1. Water goes through the pump, which sucks in the water, if you placed it upstream from the pollution.
  2. The clean water goes to your people, who then pollute it.
  3. The polluted water will then go into a water treatment node to clean the water before it goes to the sewage pipe. (Which doesn't produce for water usage, but rather just filters it as it passing along).
  4. The clean water is vented out of your sewage pipe.
Scenario #3 Water treatment right after pumping and draining.
  1. Water goes through the pump, which sucks in the water, regardless whether its clean or polluted.
  2. The water will then go into a water treatment node to clean the water before it goes to your people. (Which doesn't produce water for usage, but rather just filters it as it passing along).
  3. The clean water goes to your people, who then pollute it.
  4. The polluted water will then go into a water treatment node to clean the water before it goes to the sewage pipe. (Which doesn't produce for water usage, but rather just filters it as it passing along).
  5. The clean water is vented out of your sewage pipe.
Scenario #4 Water treatment with no usage.
  1. Water goes through the pump, which sucks in polluted water.
  2. The polluted water will then go into a water treatment node to clean the water before it goes to the sewage pipe. (Which doesn't produce for water usage, but rather just filters it as it passing along).
  3. The clean water is vented out of your sewage pipe.

Scenarios 3 and 4 actively sucks in dirty water, and cleans it before drainage in an actual water filtration loop which is realistic and practical. Unlike your mods and most of the mods in the workshop that just magically have sewage drainage pipes with no pollution, because they don't actually filter the dirty water in the system. They just make it disappear at the ending node instead of cleaning it early on.

Last edited:
Uh huh, I'm aware of clarifiers and their human operation reliability
The sludge formed from the settled particles at the bottom of each clarifier, if left for an extended period of time, may become gluey and viscous, causing difficulties in its removal. This formation of sludge, promotes anaerobic conditions and a healthy environment for the growth of bacteria. This can cause the resuspension of particles by gases and the release of dissolved nutrients throughout the water fluid, reducing the effectiveness of the clarifier. Major health issues and problems can also occur further down the track of thewater purification system or hinder the health of the fish found downstream of the clarifier.
Wonderful stuff.

Reactions:
You do realize that the clarifier isn't the only part of water treatment right? That why they put chlorine / other chemicals into the water to kill bacteria, which then goes through filtration again for chemical residue, which then goes to the people who also have purifiers in their homes to filter out left over residue or gunk that the water picks up while in the pipes.

You do realize that the clarifier isn't the only part of water treatment right? That why they put chlorine / other chemicals into the water to kill bacteria, which then goes through filtration again for chemical residue, which then goes to the people who also have purifiers in their homes to filter out left over residue or gunk that the water picks up while in the pipes.
I wouldn't know. I don't have a purifier in my home.

I wouldn't know. I don't have a purifier in my home.

Do you drink water straight out of an unfiltered tap? Cause depending on where you live that could be really bad for you due to the left over chemicals / other residue in the water.

Do you not have something that looks like this some where in your house? Or else where if you live in an apartment building?

Water Filter Images

In the US, or at least in the city I live in. Sewage goes to the water district, where they first filter out large debris, then it goes into a water clarifier which allows bacteria to grow and break down waste and sinks to the bottom. They then move the water to a separate area to treat the water with chemicals, then heat up the water to a certain degree to dissolve and break down / make the chemicals they used to kill the bacteria inert. The water then goes through multiple filtration process to get rid of left over chemical particles. Though obviously some still get through. The water then travels through the water pipes, which is where it occasionally picks up dirt, eroded water pipe particles, or other built up debris.

That is why before tap water is used for drinking it is recommended to go through a home water purifier that is designed to filter micro particles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclaimed_water#Reclamation_processes

Also apparently I live in the city with one of the most innovative and advanced water districts that actively recycle waters for drinking and consumer usage.

So no what I am asking is perfectly realistic, and not just some fantasy duplication of Sim City features.

Also your statement makes no sense. You're implying I am that I shouldn't try to asking for an idea because it is too realistic while at the same time insisting that the same exact idea is unrealistic. You seem to have a bad case of double think.

Also if your wondering why I specifically asked for water treatment plants that have Sim City functionality instead of directly asking for a realistic water treatment plant, its because water treatment plants in Sim City is as realistic as it can get in a game and accurately reflects reality. While most / a lot of people are unaware of how water treatment works in general, but yet at the same time a lot of people here have played Sim City 3000 / Sim City 4 and are aware of how the water treatment plants work in that game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Do you drink water straight out of an unfiltered tap? Cause depending on where you live that could be really bad for you due to the left over chemicals / other residue in the water.
Do you not have something that looks like this some where in your house? Or else where if you live in an apartment building?
I live in a 40 year old house in Flevoland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flevoland), a province that did not exist until it was reclaimed from the sea during the 1950's. The whole province remains 5 meters below sea level. No, my residence has no water purifier, although I am aware of what they are and I no, do not drink straight from the tap. Many thanks for your concern ;)

I would also be concerned for your health too, regardless of the level of your clarification and purification systems, given the numbers of reports of contamination due to unregulated fracking and toxic waste disposal in your nation.

So no what I am asking is perfectly realistic, and not just some fantasy duplication of Sim City features.
Also your statement makes no sense. You're implying I am that I shouldn't try to asking for an idea because it is too realistic while at the same time insisting that the same exact idea is unrealistic. You seem to have a bad case of double think.
Also if your wondering why I specifically asked for water treatment plants that have Sim City functionality instead of directly asking for a realistic water treatment plant, its because water treatment plants in Sim City is as realistic as it can get in a game and accurately reflects reality. While most / a lot of people are unaware of how water treatment works in general, but yet at the same time a lot of people here have played Sim City 3000 / Sim City 4 and are aware of how the water treatment plants work in that game.
Perhaps it was double think, but my thinking stems from the fact that I disassociate our reality from the reality within this game or any of the Maxis variety. They are not real and nor do they accurately simulate our reality (we appear to have a fundamental difference in opinion on this point.) The water physics of this game are wonderful, but the consistency of the water itself is more akin to treacle than it is to H2O. Therefore I was trying to ascertain what your motivation was. You have answered that adequately, thank you.

Do you drink water straight out of an unfiltered tap?
Yes, I do. Untreated tap water is usually healthier than bottled water, at least in most European countries.
Such a thing is completely unnecessary. Tap water has food quality requirements. My local water provider also advises against the use of any water filters, as they tend to worsen the quality of the water. At least here. But I know that many areas in the US have water quality problems, mostly with regard to unwanted ions that make the water taste bad (which is usually not a health issue btw). That's what those "filters" actually are: ion exchangers.
Well, I guess we will have to work with the mechanics the game gives us. If you still want something that spits out water, you can use the Spectra Purifier . The output is clean, but It looks somewhat futuristic and doesn't really represent what you want.

If you want something that looks realistic, I recommend the Modular sewage treatment facility. You can also get pipes that go with this, if you want. Of course, it's not actually moving any water, as the game has no mechanics to do that between buildings and would be a nightmare to balance. It looks quite nice though, like here in one of my cities:
YdX9g1p.png

To answere your question: No, there is no asset working like that on the workshop.

But it's good to discuss about it :) However I don't think CO will ever change that mechanic, because 95 % of the players simply don't care about it.

Personally I would like to see a more advanced system how water works in this game. With pressure, different pipe sizes, tanks,... But that's just me dreaming :D

Reactions:
Yeah after opening asset editor myself I realized there is no way for anyone to what I wanted without someone completely reprogramming the water system.

Though the closest thing possible what I wanted with the vanilla asset editor is making a treatment plant that has these properties

1. Consumes 120,000 units of water
2. Produces 120,000 units of sewage
3. Outlets 120,000 units of sewage
4. Outlets 0 sewage pollution

That way it consumes one entire water pump's entire production, and produces no usable increase in sewage/water production capacity.

It has water consumption because otherwise the water pump won't operate. It has to produce sewage because otherwise the facility won't operate by itself. And the reason why it outlets the same amount of sewage as a water pump sucks in is for the conservation of matter.

The reason why I would make something like this is for people who play on maps that don't have an endless supply of water, where they only have a lake, or only have a water supply that doesn't drain off the map to get rid of the pollution.

Though I am trying to think of how to make a low cost high powered water pump that doesn't increase water production so that its only used in a water treatment cycle that sucks and outputs the same amount of water.

Because from my testing yesterday, it appears that how much water in take a build has does affect how much water is actually sucked in from the water source.

I can't have the water building itself consume water because then it will start operating and sucking water without a sewage output, which would magically make all the water disappear. So the real question now is how do I make a specialized low cost high powered water pump that won't be abused/replace the ordinary water pumps?

Last edited:
Yeah after opening asset editor myself I realized there is no way for anyone to what I wanted without someone completely reprogramming the water system.

Though the closest thing possible what I wanted with the vanilla asset editor is making a treatment plant that has these properties

1. Consumes 120,000 units of water
2. Produces 120,000 units of sewage
3. Outlets 120,000 units of sewage
4. Outlets 0 sewage pollution
Already done ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649924162
Eco Friendly Sewage Facility by grapplehoeker (Originally by Wallrik)

This sewage treatment plant creates NO pollution.
Instead of pumping dirty water out, it sends it deep, deep underground, never to be seen again - or at least that's how I like to think of it ;)
It does not need to be placed in or near water.
It does need to be connected to your city plumbing and can only be plopped within a roadside zonable area.
It also creates no garbage and so there is no danger of the water supply being contaminated by uncollected garbage.

For some unknown reason, this asset has recently disappeared from the Workshop.
This is one of my all time favourite assets and I have used it many times in many cities.
Therefore, I am re-uploading it.
Enjoy!
Construction cost ₡15,000
Upkeep ₡640 per week
Drain capacity 160,000 m³ per week

(NB. I see no need for it to take in any fresh water and so it doesn't)

I don't think I explained it very well... I already made an asset myself.

The main thing I wanted was being able to pump water from an actual dirty water source, and clean it. Without sucking it dry and being able to recycle water from that source. To clean and preserve the water source.

So in short the most important thing to me was that it didn't increase water capacity, and it had to pump water back out onto the map.

I wanted to avoid doing the whole water tower thing where you pump ground water / pump it underground. Because then you just have magical unlimited amount of water / sewage without any worries.

Cause there are a lot of mods like yours, and I probably saw yours before I made this thread. Where they just pump all the water into the ground.

Or the just made those magical sewage outlets that produces no pollution that also increased sewage capacity.

Or the just made the sewage disappear, and increased the amount of garbage you had.

Last edited: