• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Struggling to find words....borders....badboy....

How long will your truce with Russia last? Better make sure you don't acquire a border with France in the process of eating those German minors. They might just have the balls to take you on...

The Arch Mede/Prawnstar: If you invade the AI, it is pretty decent at maneuver. However, once the AI starts an occupation, the AI seems to prefer continuing occupation to maneuvering for advantage, which means that you can safely crush them one army at a time. It takes quite a bit for the AI to stop an occupation.

+1

I was reasonably confident that would be the case from playing EU3 but I wasn't sure - I still haven't installed Vicky2 evn though I bought it the day it came out - if I get distracted from a game I never manage to pick it up again and I want to finish my AAR.

Enewald: Soon...very soon.

aldriq: Om nom nom...

AllmyJames: The borders are meant to hurt. :)

PrawnStar: I know that feeling.

Chapter 17: Prussia's Turn

August 1, 1868: Our alliance with Prussia is broken. A look at ongoing wars shows that the UK is 12% up on the USA, and Italy is 12% up on Austria.

August 5: Italy gives Saxony a white peace.

August 15: Moar Jingoism!

o17bloodandroses.jpg

August 23: Since Prussia has never recovered from getting beaten down by Austria, it's time to put this dog down. Prussia mobilizes, taking them from 10 to 19 brigades to my 83. In better news, I now have 100 possible brigades. Our first war goal is Silesia.

o17dowprussia.jpg

September 15: Yet again, the AI knows what to do to a turned back. In this case, they're going for Nordrhein.

o17bavariadowprussia.jpg

October 16: The Prussians hit me at Oppelin before I can get my armies in place, and so I don't manage an encirclement. The second battle (at Breslau) ends about the same way. The third battle in Gniezno is a rout for the poor Prussians, leading to the destruction of their army in Posen on December 1.

o17bofoppelin.jpg

October 23: Italy shows off their martial prowess. Apparently, when a nation has barely any army left and what little does exist isn't in sight, that's when you surrender.

o17italywp.jpg

November 1: Saxe-Weimar is annexed.

December 3: Whoops. I got caught here with the worst possible general, and this happened before I could retreat.

o17bofliegnitz.jpg

December 20: As I try to surround the last Prussian army in Kustrin, Jacobins decide to rise up, blocking some of my units. Argh!

o17jacobins.jpg

January 1, 1869: Saxony is annexed.

January 25: In one day, 2 rebel stacks and the last Prussian army surrender.

o17lastbattle.jpg

February 3: We declare a war of Annexation on Anhalt.

February 18: Those sneaky rivers - so hard to follow.

o17nile2.jpg

March 7: We declare a war of Annexation on Hesse-Kassel.

April 30: An attempt to get influence in Bavaria to kick France out results in Austria banning us.

May 5: Prussian Magdeburg is added to our war goals.

June 10: Posen is added to our war goals.

September 8: Hesse-Kassel is annexed. Anhalt follows 3 days later.

November 13: Prussian Pommern is added to our war goals.

January 9, 1870: Denmark settles for white peace with Austria - they probably couldn't get enough war score.

January 16: Ooooh...are we close to a crown from the gutter?

o17pannationalists.jpg

February 5: Westpreussen is added to our war goals (a few weeks back), and now peace is signed. Much prettier borders.

o17peace.jpg

Basically, I'm speechless. :) Austria's been torn apart and Bad Boy wars must surely ensue.

Now that you've made the leap, what is your goal? World Conquest? Or something more modest?

EDIT: I see I took too long in replying. ;) And now Prussia's dead, too. As well as a few German minors. I think little your Ottoman chestburster is all grown up... Aww. :)

Last edited:
Stuyvesant: I suspect that as long as UK is allied to me, there will be no BB wars. Ironically, every war I have had lately, UK's likelihood to join was Impossible, so the alliance is actually worthless. No one wants to find that out, though. ;)

Prussia may get new life - if they get the Crown from the Gutter, they might get enough fresh solider POPs to not completely suck. Of course, I have no idea what the event will do since Prussia has no SOI.

And a bonus screenie:
o17igps.jpg

Ottomans at the baltic :p

I think this demonstrates that Vicky 2 is more BB-friendly than EU3. The POP-driven limits on army sizes mean that you're not constantly having to smack down the medium-sized stacks that even smallish states can field - Prussia's 19 brigade army is a case in point. With no direct stabilty mechanic you're not going to see the extreme consequences of high BB that you do in HTTT.

I think you have to aim at France next, that number 2 spot shall be yours (and then GB's, after you take them apart).

Any self respecting Ottoman sultan would have the following goals:
1. Punish the upstart Austrians - almost done - and the Russians. The two headed eagle of Byzantium? No thanks. That's history.
2. Persia must be destroyed.
3. Egypt must be brought back to the Empire.
4. Acquiring water front properties at the Baltic, North Sea, Atlantic, Indian Ocean and the Pacific coasts would be recommended ;).

Surume: That requires a naval landing at the moment, and my navy is pathetic.

Arilou: Ain't it great!

Dewirix: Yes. I suspect future patches will make the BB limit more respectable.

anweRU: Workin' on it!

oberstbrooksy: Before, it was because I was trying to stay under the BB limit, and I didn't want to waste it on desert. Now it's because they're in my sphere. I'm hoping the AI starts shaking states loose from my sphere - if not, they'll just stay sphered forever.

The map of Europe looks awful, hopefully the Ottomans can get their act together and get rid of that ugly white and tan patch in between them and their Prussian gains. Oh, and Serbia.

Italy - what are you doing?! Argh!

If Prussia did unite Germany (or Austria? I'm a little hazy on crown from the gutter), that'd be one weirdly-shaped country.

I find it funny that Austria has almost as much score as you do.

Surely Greece and Serbia must be punished soon?

Interlude: The World in 1870

Let's take a moment and look at the world (and Ottoman) situation in 1870.

First: the world map. Much more pleasing lime green now.
oi2world.jpg

Another look at Europe.
oi2europe.jpg

My army techs, or "Why I'm not attacking Russia yet". I'm sprinting to machine guns so I can colonize Africa/mow down Russians. If you look at the literacy, you'll notice I gained about 15% from taking Austrian and Prussian provinces. It helps that they can read. :)
oi2armytechs.jpg

Politics. I've passed one whole reform the entire game (Trinket Pensions, by event). There are a few reforms that have hit 4-5%, but of course, I don't have enough MIL to pass anything. The 40% liberal UH will lose 10% next year (since I got a 20% boost by event).

Pies! As you can see, I don't have 1% clergy or bureaucrats yet. Islam is happily progressing, but as you can tell from nationalities, my %age of Turkish POPs is dropping like a rock. I currently have Minority Building Restrictions, which I can't wait to get rid of - the +0.05 MIL for non accepted cultures is now becoming a problem.
oi2pies.jpg

I have a Jacobin rebellion in the offing - for some reason, they rise in about 2 months, despite only having less than 40 brigades. My guess is that they hit MIL 9+. As you can see, they're going to rise right next to my armies on the Russian border.
oi2jacobins.jpg

oi2jacobins2.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't even realise Coptic Christianity was an in-game religion, shows how educational this AAR really is!

Regardless of colour the map of Europe still looks ugly, hurry up with those military techs!

Loved the comment about the Nile River expedition...

Which reminds me that your Empire looks a little like the Nile River system in flood season, complete with a delta on the Baltic! I suspect the source of this river is somewhere in the Near East. :D

Great work!

Rensslaer