• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK. After much deliberation (and a game as Prussia -> NGF -> Germany where I'm wiping the walls with France and Austria), I decided to screw it and fight. The Ottomans can't afford to just lay down and die, so it's time to give the Russians some pain.

I'm playing right now...so far, so good.

OK. After much deliberation (and a game as Prussia -> NGF -> Germany where I'm wiping the walls with France and Austria), I decided to screw it and fight. The Ottomans can't afford to just lay down and die, so it's time to give the Russians some pain.

I'm playing right now...so far, so good.

To the Crimea! To Moscow! To St. Petersburg!

To the Crimea! To Moscow! To St. Petersburg!

This is Ottoman Russia:

ottoman-empire-1580.gif

This is Golden Horde:

800px-GoldenHorde1300.png

Golden Horde = Muslim
Ottoman Empire = Muslim

Ottoman Empire + Golden Horde = Rightful Muslim claims to Russian territory.

'Tis true.

You should follow Nikolai's advice. At the very least, reclaim the lands of the Ottoman Empire. Especially in Eastern Europe.

I am curious how you will do against the russians, dont keep us in suspense for too long :)

Chapter 9: Russian Revanchism

My armies are retreating 4-5 provinces back on both fronts. Additionally, I've started building new factories in Kars, Dobruja, and Bulgaria, so that if they get occupied, they'll swarm my factories. I'd provide a really nifty strategic screenshot, but I forgot. Whoops.

October 1, 1848: With nothing better to do, I hunt down Serbia's armies and begin occupying all of Serbia. This'll pad the war score while I wait for the Russians to do something stupid.

November 10, 1848: Due to crap supply limits in the Armenian mountains, an army gets attacked in Batum before I can extricate myself. Luckily, it turns out well.

o9bofbatum.jpg

December 10: First stupid of the war: send 27,000 men to stand around occupying a forest. The AI is somewhat stupid about attrition right now, though if you REALLY want to watch an attrition circus, play Prussia and unleash the German Minors on people. Within the next 2 weeks, Russia sends 62,000 more men to occuply Moldavia and Tulcea - all over the attrition limits.

January 17, 1849: The Russians send two disconnected armies to try and run me out of Serbia. With no backup. This ends in the encirclement and surrender of several Russian brigades.

o9attackbor.jpg

April 6: We catch a Russian army with low org in Tirgoviste. Russia sends only the best generals. Unfortunately, my best generals are elsewhere, but 0 is better than -2. Or -5.

o9boftirgoviste.jpg

April 28: Another Russian army inexplicably wanders deep into Ottoman territory only to die.

May: A check in Central Europe shows that the Netherlands accepted peace for Status Quo against Bavaria for the Rheinland.

May 31: Why generals with -5 to a stat are bad:

o9boftirgoviste2.jpg

June 8: Battles you will rarely ever see:

o9egyptvkrakow.jpg

June 16: Another Russian army wanders off alone and is encircled at Bucharest. The war so far has been:
In the East, Russia is occupying territories with just the right sized armies, resulting in barely any attrition.
In the West, large Russian armies stand around occupying provinces and taking attrition, while small Russian armies wander off alone into the entire western Ottoman army. The Russians are already down to 77 brigades (they started with about 110 after mobilizing).

July 14: While another small Russian army is dying in Ruse, Spain steps up to save Serbia! Er?

o9spain.jpg

July 20: Of course, another alternative is this:

o9spain2.jpg

July 31: This is the average outcome of a battle in this war. I keep using +3 and +4 attack generals...they use - defense generals. (This Russian army is wiped out in Bucharest 2 weeks later, dropping Russia to 63 brigades).

o9bofruse.jpg

November 8: 4 provinces have fallen in in the East, and in the West, 36,000 men are occupying Tulcea. They will take over 1000/month in attrition. Spain decides losing 2 brigades in Serbia is all the war they can handle, and they offer White Peace. We accept. War score is now 11 in our favor. PS: The Prussian-Austrian war is still going on...

December 4: Tuscany accepts White Peace from Prussia, despite Tuscany occupying Nordrhein and Westfalen and Prussia still having no army.

December 17: Despite having 22 war score, Austria finally accepts White Peace from Prussia, giving up their War Goal of Accept Hegemony.

February 9, 1850: Despite not fighting a battle in over 6 months, Russia offers White Peace. We accept.

o9whitepeace.jpg

I seriously wish I had a stats generator like exists for EU3, because I should have been threatened much worse than I was. I had 5 provinces occupied, but managed to destroy almost half of Russia's army and gain peace, with much less losses of my own.

Last edited:
Thank you for the Update!

Glad you came out on top, its really baffeling how suicidical the AI acts sometimes..

June 8: Battles you will rarely ever see:

o9egyptvkrakow.jpg

How about Krakow vs China? Russia dragged them into a war and they marched all the way from Poland to Manchuria and asked me (Japan) for military access. They ended up stuck in my territory after the war ended. I was sad to see them leave in the end.

Great result against Russia. Were you tempted to push for more, or are you nearing your infamy limit?

My infamy is currently high (had I gotten a border dispute, I definitely would have nabbed a region). I was tempted to free some people, but I don't want to give Austria any ideas, and I want to eventually take another region off Russia or Austria. At 10 infamy/region and -1.2 infamy/yr, you can only take 14.5 full cost regions during the game's period.

Very nicely done. It is a pity you didn't have the infamy to gain something from a well won peace, nonetheless I'm sure Russia will suffer in the future. With AI like that they are sure to do so.

OE is my favorite country to play with. My only thoughts are ANNEX EGYPT!!!

The infamy required to annex large chunks of desert is simply not worth it.

I just saw that your chapter overview in post #2 could use an update :)