• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice gains.

Now given you've worked out a few cunning and exploitable tricks and I know you know how to wage wars in Paradox games - when the Krakow world conquest coming?

You know, you can TOTALLY save yourself the hassle with the picture bandwidth, if you would convert them into JPEGS. Even your small pictures are 500kB - 1MB large so it's no wonder that you are using a lot of bandwidth on the image servers.

Converting the pictures to JPEGS would give you a small loss of image quality (jpeg compression artefacts adding a little graininess and obscuring otherwise clear lines) but it would cut your bandwidth usage by at least 80%. Your images would go from 1-2 MB per pic to maybe 200kb, at the same display size. If you use an image editing program that lets you choose a lower compression then picture quality will barely be affected at all, at still 70-80% bandwidth reduction.

Now given you've worked out a few cunning and exploitable tricks and I know you know how to wage wars in Paradox games - when the Krakow world conquest coming?

The main problem with WC at this point is that there are limited #s of targets that won't trigger intervention, and the demographic mechanics of mobilization can get painful.

There was one guy who did a WC as France, but he had to mod out rebels to do it.

There are some tricks a player can use to spur their way, but I'm not sure how feasible a WC would be for any nation that isn't a GP at start, has the capability to become a GP quickly, or China.

The main problem with WC at this point is that there are limited #s of targets that won't trigger intervention, and the demographic mechanics of mobilization can get painful.

There was one guy who did a WC as France, but he had to mod out rebels to do it.

There are some tricks a player can use to spur their way, but I'm not sure how feasible a WC would be for any nation that isn't a GP at start, has the capability to become a GP quickly, or China.

very impressive, kudos! Though personally I find your general-shuffling kinda gamey.....
I agree, but it's all in the game mechanics, so unless he plays under a house rule, it will remain a possibility (although I doubt the AI changes until the general dies). I would love for Paradox in the next patch to add a remove leader button, a la Vic1. I had a very good general (+3 attack and +3 defense) lead one of my major armies as the US in the Civil War, but he managed to get beaten, retreat, and abruptly lose, wiping out that entire army. It didn't feel right to use that general for the rest of the war, being he lost one of my major armies, so I left him in the queue.

You know, you can TOTALLY save yourself the hassle with the picture bandwidth, if you would convert them into JPEGS. Even your small pictures are 500kB - 1MB large so it's no wonder that you are using a lot of bandwidth on the image servers.(...)

Leviathan07 is totally right with that, i also reccommend using the .jpg file format.

Besides that, thank you for the update :)

I wonder, will you replace the broken image links for the first chapters?

I've never had a problem with imageshack. I've used them for quite a few years because of this. Like the updates.

No real comments or suggestions on gameply/picture sites to be made. Just expressing my gratitude for the AAR and the thoughts it has provoked on gameplay.

The Middle Eastern states seem to be very fertile with options in the game. I suppose that is because it would be hard to go any worse than IRL.

I am looking forward to following this AAR

I played as OE in 1.1 and made the mistake of not demanding Dumyat from Egypt, so that I had to get it off the US later after they had built the Suez canal :(

But late in the game I could ignore the BB limit because over a million (unemployed) soldier pops (mainly in the desert in Kaf) scared everyone. This shouldn't happen in 1.2

Last edited:
January 30: A glaring AI error: the AI ignores the strength of armies in adjacent provinces if they aren't moving towards the target province. A shade under 10K men with low org will attack 6K men in Ardahan, who are on a hill and dug in, with about 31K more nearby. (This is compensated by the fact that in 1.2, the AI can see you moving troops into a province, despite Fog of War saying they should not.)

You can really game this if you're trying to defend a front with too few troops. The AI will stop moving if it can see reinforcements on their way, so you can continually reset the time it will take to arrive in a province by ordering troops towards it, then ordering them to stop when the enemy does. One reserve army can cover at least two provinces this way.

Good results in the war against Russia. I had a similar experience fighting China as Japan - they had so many troops that I was forced backward and lost provinces, but was able to rack up a high warscore through battles so the war ended by me taking a province off them.

Thanks for this AAR, I really love it. I can't wait until you're strong enough to steamroll the Ruskies.

That may be decades. That war seriously depleted my soldier POPs. In fact, my big fear is that they'll come at me again in 5 years. The OE's cultural fragmentation completely hoses the ability to raise soldiers, since you can't have multi-religion or multi-ethnic divisions. Instead, I have to wait (very, very patiently) for assimilation.

The UK, sadly, won't ally with me.

You can really game this if you're trying to defend a front with too few troops. The AI will stop moving if it can see reinforcements on their way, so you can continually reset the time it will take to arrive in a province by ordering troops towards it, then ordering them to stop when the enemy does. One reserve army can cover at least two provinces this way.

Somewhat. The problem is when they bring enough that they're no longer afraid of your reserve army. :)

The optimum defensive setup is to have several reserve layers, so that they can step up and take advantage of good matchups (good defensive general + good terrain). That, unfortunately, requires troops and space for defensive depth. The OE has plenty of space, hills, and mountains, but not enough troops.

... you can't have multi-religion or multi-ethnic divisions.

You can't? I've been mixing ethnicity A regiments in with ethnicity B regiments and hadn't noticed anything bad happening - what have I been missing?

You can't? I've been mixing ethnicity A regiments in with ethnicity B regiments and hadn't noticed anything bad happening - what have I been missing?

Ooops. Meant brigades. 1 brigade is attached to 1 POP, and since OE's pops are so fragmented by culture and religion, they end up with a lot of little POPs that can't support brigades.

Ooops. Meant brigades. 1 brigade is attached to 1 POP, and since OE's pops are so fragmented by culture and religion, they end up with a lot of little POPs that can't support brigades.

ahhh, you mean POPs of < 1K people? Yeah, that would suck :). Maybe an early trip to 'Medicine', already a nice technology to visit, would be particuarly useful for you?

Congratulations on aquiring something from Russia at all.:D

Aaaah - the Sublime State, how I cherish thee. An excellent AAR, and might I congratulate you on your shiny new Armenia? I'd keep an eye north and westward though - your friends the Prussians might bring railroads and troops, but I also expect them to be starting a weltkrieg with Austria whenever they get the chance. It really hurts to see how sickly the OE has become, but you seem to be doing a good job of brining it life!

Also - you totally need to grab Greece and the Balkans/Croatia, so that you have you have a semicircular border with Austria. It'd look sooooo right!

Aaaah - the Sublime State, how I cherish thee. An excellent AAR, and might I congratulate you on your shiny new Armenia? I'd keep an eye north and westward though - your friends the Prussians might bring railroads and troops, but I also expect them to be starting a weltkrieg with Austria whenever they get the chance. It really hurts to see how sickly the OE has become, but you seem to be doing a good job of brining it life!

Also - you totally need to grab Greece and the Balkans/Croatia, so that you have you have a semicircular border with Austria. It'd look sooooo right!

If the Prussians try to drag me into a war with Austria, I'll have to think hard about joining in. Grabbing Dalmatia would be very nice.

This AAR is on hold while I play a bit with China. By 1860, I'm bordering the Ottomans, and just about done taking out the buffer states between me and Russia. Britain, sadly, is being obnoxiously powerful.

A very impressive result against Russia. Its cracking to see such an action filled war against a larger power so early on. I'm looking forward to finding out who will be the Ottomans next victim.