• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part V (801-808)
Part V (801-808)

Year 801
==================================

The year starts fantastically, as we get our very first prosperity event! It is also the one we need the most at that - extra holding slot! We obviously purchase it (around 70g = equivalent to 2.5x year income). With that Perm now has 4 out of 7 holding slots, making our best county (on top of being capital). Two more such events and we are golden - the 7th holding slot will be acquired through different means. Also it was really quick - just in 2 years after reaching prosperity level: booming in Perm, when Medium Time To Happen (MTTH) is equivalent to 65 years at base. That's pretty good luck, if I say so myself and puts us nicely on time table for our goals.
L8H4Xaz.jpg

Slowly turning taiga into settlements

I've also been thinking about changing Rulership focus. We have been on it for better part of last two decades. Normally I would move onto something different, but thanks to already having an heir, I can be more greedy/ambitious. So we will remain on it till Omurtag II reaches age of 40. After that I have to move on - remaining any longer will be too much of a risk (Stressed/Depressed are common outcomes of rulership and dangerously diminish health). Maybe, just maybe we either pick stewardship education trait level up (making us eligible for better MTTH for prosperity events) or Just/Ambitious. At this point while interesting RP wise, I don't really need to become administrator. It is enough we have seen one Legendary Wise + Respected Ruler in this playthrough.

While reading various CK2 wiki articles, it caught my attention that releasing prisoners of the same religion gives piety. Thus it might be possible to patch my current piety deficit (-161) with pillaging? I toggle Prisoner to only show those, who are not ransomable and fire release button. Most of them aren't of our religion but we still get around 15 piety. While not much in itself, it is important that now I tested how to do it. Possibility of exploiting it in the future might be on a menu. Knowing all that we proceed pillaging Mari lands.

Out of note, between sessions I noticed something profitable. If you remember in previous parts I did an "Ooopsie" with inviting some Slavic courtier to our land, resulting in fiasco. I kept him marked as character of special interest and somehow, he outlived his then liege. Whoever took over, no longer saw our dear Nikita as important and didn't bother to keep him on his council. Thus he became eligible for cashing our favour, becoming part of our court with his 210 wealth! We make him one of our Venerable Elders, as he is more than old enough (69 years old).
FMx6Q0k.jpg

Fixed mistake

Before end of january, we get notification about Great Festival progress (started in last part). I decide to splurge on most expensive trinkets mostly to check for any better outcomes. I will spoil you now - I get nothing in return (beside obvious bits of Piety).

In march our spymaster generates 50 military techpoints, as our raiders outmanouver Mari defenders to move onto their capital. We also push Practise Range towards second level in Pil'va. During festival it turns out it is "poetry competition edition" and we participate. Once again the victor title goes to lowborn wife of Galich Mersky chief, which is from now on known as "the Word Master". I decide on not paying her, as she is both not of my culture and has Cancer while being 48 years old (making fostering any good relations pointless due to how shortlived it would most likely be).

Out of nowhere another Trade route upkeep event hits us. I'm suprised - didn't even know that Pil'va had it! While it helps us in the long run, it makes me feel kind of bamboozled! But still we pay that gold. While we loot Mari capital, somehow we don't capture anyone! Scandalous! We then move onto another vassal of Mari capital.
X7gISOa.jpg

To get money, you have to spend money. Previous owner contribution

We fare better economically as in Autumn our stewards manages to settle our people into Vologda. Not only does it reduces revolt risk but also removes penalty to tribal levies due to mismatch of culture/religion. I very much like such elements of realm managment and assimilating subjects into our culture. Those lands are of our Suomenusko religion already, so now we get 100% levies from them. But this year just keeps on giving. By December we also fire another rulership event! Once again our Drunkard vassal causes mess, and once again we fine him! Sadly it is 4th out of 5 times as we fail coin flip on success. Still those rulership events be firing like crazy often.
moSRoEs.jpg

Planting culture for future passive spread

Year 802

Another year starts with some eastern Khagan arriving at our Siberian vassal's land to pillage. There is nothing built there + it wont be my treasury that will hurt. Assessing such little importance for us, I don't plan to return our raiders (currently advancing towards Novgorod). We have to beat down it's defenders, but I hope it will be worth it. Then we split our army into retinues and regular levies to sack twice as fast. Luckily we have enough commanders with extra winter supplies.
NqWOp1p.jpg

Checking one of Suomenusko holy sites for loot

As 900 hosts rampages through Siberia up to Ural, I decide on starting another big project. It is time to start our relations with China. Luckily we are in range of diplomatic interactions with them, cause one of Nomads to the south had to consolidate enough to have some silkroad trade posts in his domain. Or are we? As it turns out - I lied. We are not within diplomatic range of Chinese Empire. I'm not sure how was I able to interact with them in my private test run as I'm pretty certain I wasn't holding any silkroad county within my realm. It creates a rather serious setback. I'm torn on how to proceed, because currently we lack good CB for conquering steppes towards silkroad. I could snipe single no trade-post county and keep loosing it via my game settings on each ruler death. It isn't worth now given how old Omurtag II is. I can also wait till we convert, as with Holy War CB I can nicely carve our final realm shape, while also setting convert to conquest culture flag (making our future life easier and much less bountiful in nomadic uprisings), and what I aim for is barely on silkroad. There is also third option - I can combine different objectives before conversion - snipe single county in Crimea, next to Byzantine Empire (our conversion potential sponsor) while also beating down big yellow nomadic blob (Khazars). I'm interested on your opinion on that subject.
AOkkneL.jpg

Silkroad situation - so far away...

Rest of year passes uneventfully. By August we are once again able to worship ancestors, as 10 years from previous sacrifice has passed. Obviously we do, this time without being side tracked we go towards economic boons (counting on extra prosperity levels in our personal domain).

Year 803

As we move aggresively from north to west, we consolidate and target baltic Romuvans for some pillaging. Some of them can afford ransoms, but also are remarkably more tough (having between 1000 to 1700 troops).

Time flies and date moves toward second calendar month, we get yet another prosperity event - this time it is one of province modifiers. Those modifiers have no expiration date and are overall pretty nice. We rolled +levy size modifier, which while great is the least attractive for us. One is down, 5 more to go. This is also good place to check terrain types in our capital duchy. Udmurts is listed as Forest, Tynea as Hills and everything else is Arctic. Both Forest and Hills have an extra terrain dependent modifier. Still we are mostly poor - Arctic is as barebone as it gets. Not only do we accumulate prosperity the slowest, but contrary to other difficult terrain types we won't benefit from our subject hard labour.
Zh85Hei.jpg

Prosperity modifiers collecting game begins

Spring greets us with events, in which we instruct someone in warrior lodge (costing us some gold) but also get another honor duel - this time against Finnish woman with just 7 PC. We accept.

Somehow while pillaging around Riga, we fail to capture almost anyone and thus fail in relieving those tribals of their heavy pockets :/. Then by accident in June, raiding host is moved onto over 2000 enemy warriors with just 1900 of our own. Before battle commences, I manage to focus everyone in single flank under our best leader and luckily we roll "Feint tactic" which allows us to minimize losses. Still - ouch. More importantly we can start another Ukon Juhla festival and we do as we need that prestige and piety.
Xw02FOC.jpg

Chilling with boys on Baltic coast

August: prosperity level increases in... Kostroma. Not that it matters much (we won't hold onto it longterm ourselves). We get our prestige and piety for finishing feast. Which puts us at 400 prestige and -126 piety. At this point I was still thinking that we just need 500 prestige to visit China and was not using it. I probably could invest it sooner. Well it will take me some more time to realise, that it will take much more to make use of those Jade Dragon DLC mechanics.

In november merchant caravan arrives in our lands. As always they do tell us about mythical lands of hindustan (like Ukko'dammit, can't they make us somehow able to interact with China?) and gift us interesting character upon departure. Greek Eunuch with 14 intrigue, Impaler, diligent and shrewd. That's a lot of goodies despire somewhat middling intrigue score. Perfect candidate to replace our current aging spymaster in her byzantine tourism, or to just throw into fights as commader because of his extra +morale damage (especially if he would get few improvments from Marshal). Our brave warriors move south to Memel, nearing Gulf of Danzig to keep good work.

Year 804

Another year, another vassal in Siberia gets looted. Then we get update on our Ancestor Veneration sacrifice - we get... 50 gold. Which is suprising, as wiki doesn't mention it as possibility. I will happily take it but it seems like another thing to investigate further. If we theorytically could get 50g every time that would translate into 500 gold per century. Which is significant. Not reliable but still significant assuming we sacrifice freely acquired personal.
I3LBg3j.jpg

Excuse me, what?

Rest of winter is spent on checking honorary title,s I notice we have both 2 free slots for elders and commanders. This wasteful situation is quickly rectified by inviting 2 christian nobles (from Greece and Armenia) and 2 nomads (Buddhist + Zoroastrians). They will spend their retirement days in our court and we will take over their wealth at some point. It will cost us 380 gold for gifts and favours. If everything goes as expected, not only will we retrieve those funds but get 600+ gold extra. It will take some time though. Perhaps I will keep doing this more, as I found out better method of quick searching for investor targets - by looking at their names labels (it allows to excluse all councillors).
icKJvjB.jpg

4 honorary members of our court from 4 different religion denominations

We loot Memel for no prisoners (hello? Followers of Otso I want to report a bug - I keep not getting prisoners while sacking...) and move onto next prussian chief capital. All targeted investors accept, so things proceed swiftly. Currently we will have 6 "investors" in our realm. It sliced our treasury in half, so at least there is some limiting factor and alternative cost paid. Our ruler also loses another fleeting costing us 75 prestige - ouch. I think it would be better to take smaller prestige penalty first instead of trying to gamble our prestige. As our influencers arrive, it turns out I can't make them commanders, forcing me to relieve some of our native Elders from that honorary title, as well as making one Court Jester.

By Spring I decide to recall steward from settling tribes in Kostroma. It is of the same religion and adjacent to province with our culture, so given our ruler higher than neccesary stewardship it should convert passively. Meaning our Steward might be of better use somewhere else. Steward can administer the realm to speed it up but also help prosperity gain. I'm having an urge to screw myself again, so Marshal goes from training troops to Organizing Raid - maybe we can use those troops to raid our closer non-nomadic neighbours.

With May, Nikita - our Volhynian slavic investor mentioned previously passes on... GOLD TO OUR COFFERS by dying :D. Lived till 73, which was quite a while. Worry not - instead of just looking for replacement, I just move court jester onto elder position. We also sack Marienburg and get whole one prisoner. Better than nothing I guess. Now we have choice - either move along coast or go inland to visit Polish chiefs. I decide for 2nd option, as there are more targets with overall more gold.
j8qFuPP.jpg

Time to check polish coffers

Summer presents us with new possibilities. Chief Rateg of Khantia connives to get High Chiefdom of Yugra. That sounds just like imprisonment reason. I don't bother for now - our troops are far away. Will closely monitor situation though. I would gladly either take his gold, or replace him with Komi culture ruler.

Plock gifts us with 2 heirs to chiefdom and "strange box" event. Hope are this loot box contains something. It would replace our thin months so far. Have anecdote regarding that event. It always seems to me, like I need to keep searching general area, in which I found box to found the bloody key. Most likely it is not tied, but every time I fail in unlocking strange box it is also the time I didn't sack the area of origin. Then we split and go for both Kujawy and Sieradz tribes - capitals of 2 vassals. It is bad day for High Chief Bezprym Ironside of Mazovia :V. And thus we spent rest of year along Vistula river.
kLg3373.jpg

Suprise mechanics of IXth century

Year 805

Our king finally reaches age of 40. We spent as long as possible on Rulership Focus, and it is high time to move on from it. It works perfectly for Seduction, as I already have perfect candidate for our king affection. She will just came out of age in August :). So now we have time to "train ourselves" a little in art of courtship.

Almost at the sime time, we loot both Sieradz and Kujawy collecting 8 prisoners. That's what we like. Time for Sandomierz and Sacz Tribes further south. And how lucky! We get another extra holding slot in Perm! The last one was just 4 years ago, and base MTTH is 65 years if I remember correctly. With that, optimally I need just one more holding slot. Sadly I still need other 5 prosperity modifiers. But this is so lucky, to have this event fire twice in one part of this AAR.
mRuwgPu.jpg

Extra holding slots events speedrun any %

Our warriors beat local defenders down, we manage to capture heir to High Chiefdom of Poland. That will sell well. I suppose, there is benefit to fighting those armies parked on top of tribes, instead of avoiding them. We instantly ransom him - so maybe we will capture him again.

In may we get note from our Chancellor: he managed to procure us, a claim on Galichy Mersky. While it does cost us, I decide on paying for it. My reasoning being: in case we get our ideal heir, we have those counties as present to our first son. Time to move him to do the same thing he just did - but in tribe north - Hlynow. For anyone wondering how Omurtag II seduction goes - we fail but keep building relations.

June gifts us with extra 50 mil points from spymaster. I would rather get either Economic or culture tech points, as they will directly feed into our economy. What can you do. RNG giveth, RNG taketh. We also get issued another mission from lodge and it takes me a back. It turns out one of our rivals somehow made it to Hero rank, and issues us mission. I have mixed feelings about it. While probably there is no influence, I think games warn us at this point. My ruler while veteran is mediocre in his martial ability and I would rather keep hitting those lucky prosperity events instead of dying. Additionally I don't really need more lodge currency. So had skip!

Sandomierz gifts us with 3 extra prisoners. I was forced to devote both stacks to siege as it had almost 2000 defenders. If you wondered how profitable it is and how much our treasury contains here you go.
BdpjqCx.jpg

Perm's kickstarter initiative going smoothly

It turns out we did manage to capture heir to high chiefdom of Poland again. And we still have to yet siege it's ruler capital. Then August arrives, so comes of age girl worthy of our Permyakid dynasty. She is bethrothed to chancellor of our vassal (future husband suffers from Cancer). So we decide to target her in seduction. Contrary to our hillarious expectations by end of September we don't capture polish heir for the third time. Stil those Lesser Poland adventures were more than profitable. So onto Greater Poland I suppose. As wise men said - you don't change succesful habits.
H26xTs6.jpg

Not a huge fan of eugenics but it is difficult to argue against economical benefits long term

You know what is good on top of raiding? Corruption. So on october 1st our marshall finally comits to it. Time to appoint new one, and through him catch the old one. Over 200g from his industrios nature. He will not be forgotten - but missed. While looking for future corrupt martial I find that one of our investors is neat: brave, deceitful, arbitrary. He doesn't has great martial score but if he somehow gets himself killed, it just means we inherit gold sooner. And I have no important missions for marshal at the moment. We collect Ber's funds, yet somehow make a mistake and appoint Irter first (before imprisoning) and find ourselves not with greatest arrest chance. So I replace him and now I can't make him marshal again, because of him being upset and having some game flag making him not eligible to return to office. I'm not sure how long that it lasts. Let's find out!
MVUdaca.jpg

Still staying on top of our corruption game! We even start thinking about combining old-minting with corruption to speed things up :)

Also another merchant caravan visits us. What the hell is going on? That's a lot of not common events firing like every other year. This time we are presented with Ethiopian Chancellor. He replaces previous Chancellor wwith slightly more diplomacy (21 vs 20), not being lunatic but diligent. We also comfortably park our raiding crews in Greater Poland. Had to micro the split to be able to siege both Poznań and Nakło at the same time. We also are at almost 1300 wealth before year end and ransom for another 180.

Year 806

As good as those polish lands were with bounty, Bolgars arrive again at our western vassal lands. Seems that after greater poland, I will have to think about returning and dealing with nomads issues.

After making sweet moves onto our love at february 14th, we get notification 2 days later of our success. First good result in over the year of trying. Magic of valentines I guess. We "love her and leave her" only to reattempt seduction again.
g9E5rFp.jpg

Securing bright future. Surely nothing bad will result from it!

It seems gods were not happy with our Komi Casanova, as we immedietely get notification of peasant uprising. Well now it is REALLY time to go back. They spawned almost 3900 troops and demand indepedence. Out of curiosity I check rebelion risk map mode and it shows 0% for that province so no extra modifiers. So at least my vassal do semi good job of governing those lands, which is often not the case for AI.

As we finish Poznań (6 prisoners), I realise that I have some trick to play. Having already called to arms my vassals, but I also can (and do) call for help from my tributaries. Maybe we assemble just enough troops to deal with all the issues home by rallying everyone onto our 900 retinue left in capital. Upon calculating it doesn't turn out this way. We will get around 2300 troops, which will even if we win to too much losses in retinue. So we have to hail back.

In March after 2nd succesful 'tumbling" (and one scandal) we get different seduction event. We find Quick/Attractive lover. Really good :). I'm always value highly sources of good "genetics" while playing as minor religion/culture. This one also already starts as Lover. If playing a woman ruler, seduction is usually even better. I think male version of spawned character is Strong and Quick.
5Lk1ijx.jpg

How do you not like this event? Seduction at it finest for tribal

In may luckily for us Bolghars fight off some nomads from Siberia. One less annoyance and disturbance to our realm. Sadly rebels rush straight down to our capital. Something that I did not expect. Now that is real risk of losing prosperity :/. It forces me to disband 600 troops in Poland to raise 4250 warriors in our lands. We have to scamper off from Perm, but don't lose too much in that retreat. Soon we are ready for revenge after assembling our host.
IH3l6RH.jpg

Bloody peasants! Leave my booming capital alone!

We descent on them with great fury and vengeance: roll Feint tactic at every single one flank. Such bonuses: +100% Light Infantry Attack, +50% Light Infantry Defence and +150% Archers Attack are powerful. It does penalise our Heavy Infantry Attack and Defence by 50%, but this is more than worth it. In over 1400h of playing I never noticed that graphic on top of combat window changes, as I don't remember such snowy looking one. It is perplexing as game still suprises me with such details. As our warrior fight in the arctic plains of Perm, our ruler beds again pregnant woman. He is now considered Aspiring Seducer. I hope to be able to claim fatherhood of child to be born. Soon battle reaches conclussion and rebels forces are no more!
yhH1Gu0.jpg

Serves them right - bastards tried to ruin our prosperity thing going

As we are no longer at war, I can move my warriors towards pillaging nomads in the east. Changing our laws is also possible. I move Burgher obligations one step towards tax oriented. It will be important for far future and currently there is no city vassals to object. Win-Win. Our love gifts birth to daughter. Her husband claims fatherhood and we don't intervene.
JWKajPG.jpg

Start of optimising our Obligation laws for future profits

By december our oldest daughter starts developing interests in religion. As she is already attractive, I choose to make her Kind and still have Idolizer for either Zealous or Erudite. She becomes Zealous anyway as I never can remember that it is only "trying to" make character develop in some way. Kids am I right? I also assign her Intrigue education - she has two good modifiers for it. Maybe she will become our future spymaster. At the very least if married off, she will be able to take care of herself in foreign court.

Year 807

We progress with pursuit of nomads in Votyaki tribe and Chindyapa Kichayid in bed sheets. Unlucky we roll Feint on both "holding flanks" and shiellwall on our main flank. Our enemies rolled even worse though and we have 4:1 advantage so we still win easily. But don't inflict as many casualties as I would like to. At least we capture vassal to nomads: chief of Kerzhenets. As he is worth 70g, I put him in house arrest. Upon inspection he turns out to be on "Intrigue" focus tree. I'm not sure if he can release himself but... I can lend him 39 gold to let him ransom himself for 70g. This way I don't risk much. I have to overpay 6g, as I can gift him 15g at the time. Still 25 gold more than we had. Kings becomes lustful due to seduction focus. Now this is somehow problematic. We currently have 7 traits and the game will try to move us towards 5 or 6. We can most but I don't want to lose Diligent or Temperate as with them we are still at 18 Stewardship treshold for prosperity events even without stewardship focus.
UUhc9Zg.jpg

Our CEO after Business, Rulership and now Seduction focuses

Now that external raiders have been dealt with, we can try imprisoning our vassal in Khanty. Despite 66% chance we fails and he rebels... Meaning - we will get that county. I don't call in vassals, as I want to raid on that side of Ural mountains anyway to retrieve gold from nomads (who mercifully liberated it from my vassals pockets). Also supply issues. As I didn't manage my commanders so far, it is high time to invite three Lodge Commanders (for 900 society currency). One of them turns out interestingely. Arvo Arvo has both Deceitful and Arbitrary ano no other corruption-affecting traits. We select him for marshal for now - I will keep checking for Irter and when he will be capable. But this isn't worse, that said Ideally I would get corruption from both so getting our old investor onto that position first would be better. As soon as April starts I move out but only with my regular levies.
txe3z8H.jpg

New Marshal. I wonder how long will it take to get character that has all 3 corruption traits (Deceitful, Arbitrary, Greedy)

In July our ambitious 18-stat steward dies. Sadly he didn't manage to work out extra cash for us. I find good Prussian replacement - Genius, Ambitious, Proud. All those trais provide us with good events. One problem - he is heir to chiefdom of Galindia tribe. Current chief 33 years old chief and brother to our candidate has no years and has no male offspring on his own. I give him one concubine from our dungeons and proceed with invitation. Also I notice he has 445 gold! I think about marrying later our steward to our daughter. This way if they roll on some not important county I can even let them keep it for all that gold.
n8oScrY.jpg

Interesting new steward with interesting family

By october the rebelion is put down. I ransom some before ending war. After getting almost every single coin of Khanty chief in question had, we become new owners of his tribe! I move our prussian steward there as Khantia is of wrong culture and doesn't neighbour any province of our Komi culture. If we succeed in fixing culture, then one of our already Komi vassals will be able to also convert his tribe (assuming he rolls rng chance for it). We end year with slightly over 1600 gold and 9/10 holdings.
6Urda76.jpg

Year 808

For current new year resolution I decide to keep on looting eastern Siberia. Time to cut those nomads down to the size. We are also offered claim on Hlynow in february, which we take. Our plan to to present our firstborn with whole or even two high chiefdoms - Mari and Vologda slowly comes together. As we can educate him we will make sure he is, as able of administrator as his father and thus help us with culture conversion of those tribes.
x47JUSh.jpg

Preparation for creation of influencial branch family (just in case)

While defeating Khagan of Gyla, we secure his 3rd son which sells for quite a lot. Even after ransoming he has almost 200g so we keep on sieging his holding. This is one of the consequences of making independent Khagans empire tier - their prisoners sells for lot. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it was usually him that was bullying our vassals in Ural duchy. We can call this a just retribution. This way we can use nomads to help us in acquiring the capital for development of our economy. As long as no one develops into regional power house, we are fine.
bRahC1p.jpg

Big nomad piggy bank :)

According to my earlier prediction: Kostroma tribe converted it's culture quickly (may), without even need for our steward to be administrating the realm. That is one advantage of high stewardship rulers - they be culture converting under right circumstances like crazy. Hope is I will be able to spread Komi culture as quickly after conversion. After a while I have a realisation though: I don't see constant seduction pop-ups. I remedy it. Seems like being for 15 in-game years of hands-free Rulership left some habits. Funnily Chindyapa wants to kill our current 69 years old infirm wife. Nothing against it, but I wish they luck as our current partner has bunch of intrigue traits. That said: truly love knows no bounds!
fxBJxJH.jpg

Culture managment #101

November warns us about world being full of dangers and plots, so just in case spend my current prestige in Tynea and Pilva on upgrading buildings to level 2 (Warcamp and Practise Range accordingly). We don't need repetition of our ruler father's case, which died with bunch of prestige/piety. Then I look through intrigue menu, but there is nothing out of note. I have strong preference to not check "auto-end plots" box after trying it out. Game is in my opinion much more interesting this way and in this AAR - we get bunch of occasions to cash in while performing our Law administering duties. We are not well liked by few chiefs still remembering subjugation. Luckily in few last months some of them died off naturally and were replaced by new generation. Just to be safe I switch my 100 relation spymaster to scheme stance (passive chance to increase chance of discovering plots).
XRZdABv.jpg

Potentially interesting options for securing some wealth

As our oldest daughter finishes her education soon, we get to decide on our last intervention. I can make her Ambitious and rival but decide against it. With probably high level of Intrigue education, that could be deadly. She can still become patient through traits, so Omurtag does nothing. I'll keep close eye on her as there might be things we can do with her, beside establishing additional branch of family without having to give away land. Her together with some seduced women could help us in acquiring wealth but I have yet to think it through. We release non-ransomable prisoners for around 50 piety (but still are in deficit). Before end of year we loot eastern Khanty chiefs and decide on big heist - time to loot Khaganate of Sibir!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Do I understand correctly that your raiding expedition is purely about capturing people to ransom? Unless I've badly misunderstood something, the act of raiding itself doesn't get you any gold from non-neighboring provinces like all the Baltic and Polish provinces you trashed.

How did you do that mass ransom producing that Ransom Prisoners screenshot? I've always had to do it one by one.

Why is your piety so low and apparently decreasing?
as wiki doesn't mention it as possibility.
What wiki page is this? I've been wondering how that Ancestor Worship decision works, now that I've started a Cuman Horse Lords game. I can't find a wiki page for that decision, and the Pagans page is vague and no more helpful than the in-game text.

On that note - do you have any idea how your neighboring nomads got so rich? I'm looking for every coin I can get in my game...
while also setting convert to conquest culture flag (making our future life easier and much less bountiful in nomadic uprisings)
I don't understand what you mean here.

Re: your question there - Perm seems pretty far from the Silk Road. Wouldn't that Crimean county violate your no coastal province rule? And nomad agitation makes holding any land from any of them very difficult, so it doesn't seem worth the effort. You seem to be doing just fine as you are.

How effectively can a tribal realm fight a nomad horde, anyway? I've seen threads talking about nomad armies being able to crush much larger settled armies (presumably easier against tribal than feudal). Haven't gotten that far in my Cuman game, still trying to figure out how nomads work. :)

Another general battle question - I notice you sometimes put all your troops into a single flank, rather than spread over all three. When is that a useful thing to do? Are there battles that can be won with a single concentrated flank, that would be lost if the troops were spread evenly as they are by default?

I think the fired councilor modifier lasts ten years. Isn't there a date on their relations tooltip? Maybe I'm thinking of something slightly different.

I'm a big fan of auto-end plots. Are the plots that you want to continue ones that give you a cause for imprisonment, or something like that?

---

Following up on previous messages: Pretty sure I've never upgraded an education. I never use War focus (I learned in my first game to keep my character as far away from command and any other duels as possible, or he will die, unless his name is Bohemond de Hauteville), nor Intrigue nor Family, not that I have characters with those educations in the first place very often. So it's a matter of stewardship education being improved by Business focus. Would be nice, but I'd remember if it had happened. I'll keep Rulership in mind for the future.

I misunderstood Streaker77's question as being about raiders. Tynea is accessible by river, but I can't imagine any Norse Germanics bothering to raid it while you're tribal; why go to Tynea when you can go to Venice instead? :p Much later in the game, maybe you'll start being attractive to raiders, but I expect your fortification levels will block off the rivers around the same time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do I understand correctly that your raiding expedition is purely about capturing people to ransom? Unless I've badly misunderstood something, the act of raiding itself doesn't get you any gold from non-neighboring provinces like all the Baltic and Polish provinces you trashed.
Yes, you are correct. That said capturing 1-2 ransomable prisoners is always as good if not better that province wealth in case of tribes with no temples. One advantage of limiting myself on usage of ships - I can move quicker, as I don't care to loot wealth behind protected value.
How did you do that mass ransom producing that Ransom Prisoners screenshot? I've always had to do it one by one.
According to internet it was a feature of Monks & Mystics DLC. Had to check, as I've playing with it for quite some time. It gives you this menu on the side for managing prisoners. Be careful though - it was reported that releasing more than 50 prisoners lags game and going by 150+ at once causes crashes.
zEhsUVr.jpeg

Why is your piety so low and apparently decreasing?
I'm fielding 14 piety based retinues (Sworn Defenders and Ardent Guardians), which are defensive pagan feature. They do take a little upkeep each month and thus I have almost no piety gain. Also every time they get somehow trashed, they slurp a lot of that resource. Funny enough - discovered that piety will go into negative doesn't stop reinforcment of retinues. At this point it only will lower our score, for which I care little (I was thinking it affects dynasty prestige but it seems not to be the case)
What wiki page is this? I've been wondering how that Ancestor Worship decision works, now that I've started a Cuman Horse Lords game. I can't find a wiki page for that decision, and the Pagans page is vague and no more helpful than the in-game text.
Ancestor Worship - Crusader Kings II this page. Not easily found but it is there. As mentioned earlier it might not contain every information (as how we got gold out of prosperity option).
On that note - do you have any idea how your neighboring nomads got so rich? I'm looking for every coin I can get in my game...
To be honest I still haven't played longer game as nomad so I'm not an expert. They could still get plenty of gold through raiding tribals and ransoming, warrior lodge missions (the same way we keep generating up to 20g out of poor tribes), business focus, corruption of councillors, mercenary bands (not sure if nomadic bands pay their liege), some may have access to Silkroad trade posts.
I don't understand what you mean here.
Regarding setting conquest_culture flag on provinces. Culture in CK2 spreads normally from county to county, but some CB set culture of attacker on conquered land, making them eligible to change culture towards yours even, if there are no adjecent provinces of your culture. Those CB are accompied by hefty penalty modifier of "new administration", which diminishes levies and their replenishment heavily for up to 20? years. Duchy level Holy Wars are best example of them. That's why I currently don't want to expend more into wrong religion+culture lands without them. With them I can appoint good stewards as rulers (15+ stewardship) for highest chance for changing culture on yearly basis. Also if everything pans out, those same new rulers will still contribute hugely upon feudalising, as each point of stewardship increases income.
Re: your question there - Perm seems pretty far from the Silk Road. Wouldn't that Crimean county violate your no coastal province rule? And nomad agitation makes holding any land from any of them very difficult, so it doesn't seem worth the effort. You seem to be doing just fine as you are.
Partially yes - I still won't get any boats, set up any Merchant Republic there etc. It is mostly of convenience - I can conquer some county somewhere else along Byzantine Empire borders and seperate county along Silkroad but those are seperate wars. If none of those are against Khazaria, then I still have to wage yet another war to weaken them. Nomad agitation won't be much of an issue short term - long term those counties will keep going independent as my game rulers prohibit such border gore. While it might seem we are on right track, you might become suprised how quickly even 20.000 gold vanishes upon going feudal and feeling realm with cities with basic infrastructure (lvl 2 income building, lvl 1 University). The thing with Chinese is their artifacts that we will or won't get, for which grace has to be stockpiled. Any modifiers lowering building costs are at premium, as is Scholar-Bureaucrat+Master Engineer. Then you also have to include randomness in China cycles - it might turn out that soon Chinese empire will be closed off and we will be unable to kow-tow before Son of Heaven. But if we kow-tow then as long as the ruling dynasty doesn't change there we will keep generating grace.
How effectively can a tribal realm fight a nomad horde, anyway? I've seen threads talking about nomad armies being able to crush much larger settled armies (presumably easier against tribal than feudal). Haven't gotten that far in my Cuman game, still trying to figure out how nomads work. :)
Usually very, if invested in Hunting Parties retinue (100 Light Infantry, 50 Light Cavalry). Defensive Pagans have quite nice trick up their sleeves - we still get +80% Defense, while fighting on lands of our religion (which aren't required to be held by us) and we can always lure them into difficult terrain (Forest, Hills, Mountains), which prevents them from using Horse Archers effectively, thus leaving them with default Light Cavalry Harass. The thing is as I build my retinues around archers I have chance at using Volley - which just happens to be extra effective against Harass tactic (+300% bonus). At worst I can still fight them on Arctic terrain during winter, which even Tengri won't survive intact due to supplies. While our Warrior Lodge commanders will be thriving thanks to their leadership traits. If we have to fight them in open plains and steppes nothing prevents us from joining their Warrior Lodge. It is only AI after all. In player hands Nomad armies are quickly snowballing mostly thanks to being pretty uniformal (and thus synergise better with various traits, modifiers etc). Also cavalry armies inflict the most casualties in pursuit, making it possible to actually delete whole armies.
Another general battle question - I notice you sometimes put all your troops into a single flank, rather than spread over all three. When is that a useful thing to do? Are there battles that can be won with a single concentrated flank, that would be lost if the troops were spread evenly as they are by default?
Yes. I strongly suggest some old topic on CK2 forums named: "Art of Tribal Warfare". Usually this tactic is used in battles that are not guaranteed win. The idea is that you put 20% of forces into 2 delaying flanks, while 60% in your killer flank quickly destroy enemies in turn. I adopted to this approach by buying some Heavy Infantry+Archers retinues, so they can Shieldwall in skirmish phase. If you defend and get Narrow-Flank it is even better because you are doing your best imitation of Thermopylae (even if your flanks are outnumbered, enemies can commit only as much troops as you initially have). There are also times (usually early) when you pool all your units into single flank - it is mainly for better retaining of morale. Benefits of concentration of forces apply as well - at the very least you always have 1 overpowered commander (your ruler) to lead troops with.
I think the fired councilor modifier lasts ten years. Isn't there a date on their relations tooltip? Maybe I'm thinking of something slightly different.
Yes, there is. Testing if it is the same timer for both.
I'm a big fan of auto-end plots. Are the plots that you want to continue ones that give you a cause for imprisonment, or something like that?
Yes, but also many plots don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Some courtier trying to murder another courtier because of rivalry isn't deal breaking. Sometimes AI plots to get rid of someone you want dead as well and thus hopping into their intrigue is better, as they risk penalties and not you. Sometimes some better ruler prefers to usurp their direct overlord, in which case we can just support notion instead of spending time or money ourselves. It is easy and stable to just check that end-plot button and play on speed 5. It doesn't help as much as one might think - you still can die due to non-detected plots or vassals who hate you with passion and refuse ending their vile schemes. Personally I don't like approaching games via path of least resistance achieved by just avoiding whole mechanics all together. Like to think it keeps my vassals entertainted and busy with fighting each other via non-military means.
Following up on previous messages: Pretty sure I've never upgraded an education. I never use War focus (I learned in my first game to keep my character as far away from command and any other duels as possible, or he will die, unless his name is Bohemond de Hauteville), nor Intrigue nor Family, not that I have characters with those educations in the first place very often. So it's a matter of stewardship education being improved by Business focus. Would be nice, but I'd remember if it had happened. I'll keep Rulership in mind for the future.
Damn. Tough luck. Leading troops as member of Warrior Lodges is pretty safe. The amount of battle modifiers for troops your own character can assemble is usually game changing. I think the only real risk for Tribals is legendary gathering in lodge (forging the bloodline), as those duelers by the end are nasty and you most likely are heavily bruised and wounded already (unless you are Bon, who can keep regenerating instantly). Martial Education is widely considered nice, as it adds to your troop numbers and then makes those big numbers even better.
I misunderstood Streaker77's question as being about raiders. Tynea is accessible by river, but I can't imagine any Norse Germanics bothering to raid it while you're tribal; why go to Tynea when you can go to Venice instead? :p Much later in the game, maybe you'll start being attractive to raiders, but I expect your fortification levels will block off the rivers around the same time.
To be honest I didn't even realise that is an option for them. I'm more than determined to send any Svibjod raiders arriving in Perm duchies back west so hard, that they will discoved British Isles. Doubt we will see them - because Arctic attrition. Also they could be quickly eaten by Nomads. We are like the opposite of what they want - big tribal realm with well defended holdings and low income. Still more wealthy than most tribals here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that was a great series of events for a burgeoning merchant realm. So much gold!

Omurtag's seduction moves are also interesting. I wonder if they will ever come back to bite him?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
it was reported that releasing more than 50 prisoners lags game and going by 150+ at once causes crashes.
Wow! o_O And I thought my Norse Germanic Scandinavia game accumulated a lot of prisoners, somewhere in the 20-30 range. Most of them not ransomable, so they just sat around waiting to die, by Blot or age/neglect.
Thank you!! Interesting. I'm not sure what some of the possibilities mean, but it looks like my choice wasn't necessarily a mistake, I just got unlucky (War - got a leadership trait, and as previously mentioned I avoid using my ruler as a commander at all costs). And there are unlucky options with any choice, anyway.

What does the Pet Cat result do? I didn't really consider the Family/Love option, but I do like cats. :D
Silkroad trade posts.
In the long run, yes. But in the early 800s they shouldn't be able to build any. Unless I've misunderstood the tooltips, it takes Trade tech II or building Yam III before nomads can support one TP (Yam I gives one, but the -67% modifier from Trade tech I reduces that to 0.33 rounding to zero - again, unless I've completely misunderstood something here). Have the AI nomads managed to build any in your game yet?

Looking around in more detail, nomad capitals vary a lot, and a few are shockingly built up. I was wondering how the hell the Oghuz had a TP built in 940 (which I stole from them, and apparently get to keep); they have Yam IV when everyone else except Juyan has Yam I! Weird!

Though I also note that having a Silk Road TP does not mean it makes any money - having the only TP on the entire road is almost worthless...
some CB set culture of attacker on conquered land, making them eligible to change culture towards yours even, if there are no adjecent provinces of your culture.
I saw this in my Scandinavia game, but thought it was part of the Germanic Prepared Invasion mechanic. Good to know, thanks!
Arctic terrain during winter, which even Tengri won't survive intact due to supplies.
Early game, doesn't seem to matter much (I've mostly been munching the northern map-edge little tribals, often in winter). Haven't paid much attention to supply, when armies are still so tiny. I guess the Felt Crafter boost to winter supply is too small to matter, if you've found winter attrition to be effective against them. (Or the AI doesn't build it, which is entirely possible).

Actually, since my game has already gotten side tracked into "Nomad capital buildings: how do they work? Do they work? Let's find out!" I suppose I should be more complete and see how much (if anything) the Felt Crafter actually does... :p
Leading troops as member of Warrior Lodges is pretty safe.
That's a DLC I don't have and wouldn't take if Paradox gave it away. :) I saw someone describe it as "medieval anime characters" at some point. I agree that martial education is attractive (most of my rulers are either stewardship or martial, if I have control of their education), I just keep them safely on their throne, far far away from any battles.

Re: river raiding Tynea, it would only be attractive in your feudal end state. You're going for castle, temple, 5 cities, right? That would be a tasty raiding target.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What does the Pet Cat result do? I didn't really consider the Family/Love option, but I do like cats. :D
Cat is character modifier for around 10 years that gives +2 Diplomacy and +1 Health. It also has some interactions with Dog modifier, which can kill either one or they work it out for even better modifier. Out of curiosity I was checking Voice of (Akka) (Respected by People I think) and it gives +20 Opinion from same Religion.
In the long run, yes. But in the early 800s they shouldn't be able to build any. Unless I've misunderstood the tooltips, it takes Trade tech II or building Yam III before nomads can support one TP (Yam I gives one, but the -67% modifier from Trade tech I reduces that to 0.33 rounding to zero - again, unless I've completely misunderstood something here). Have the AI nomads managed to build any in your game yet?

Looking around in more detail, nomad capitals vary a lot, and a few are shockingly built up. I was wondering how the hell the Oghuz had a TP built in 940 (which I stole from them, and apparently get to keep); they have Yam IV when everyone else except Juyan has Yam I! Weird!

Though I also note that having a Silk Road TP does not mean it makes any money - having the only TP on the entire road is almost worthless...
That doesn't sound right. I had plenty of games on Silkroad and I never had to bother with Trade Post limits. I think it is only for Merchant Republics. Trade post limit affects each Patrician family, with trade posts build in coastal counties.. Also I remember seeing here and there tip for nomads: Silkroad trade posts are the answer to gold income.

I never checked how much trade post give every tick (you get sound bite for them) but I feel like they pay for themselves rather quickly. In some quick Jerusalem game I played few days ago, having 2 Trade posts allowed me to keep some medium sized mercenary band indefinetely. There are china statuses that lower it on top of situation along silkroad (pillaged/occupied counties affect the flow), as well as trade deals that double the income. You sure you had it fully upgraded? Also just remembered but Jewish rulers get even more options to upgrade silkroad trade posts.

Nomads didn't build any, but indian+tibetan+middle eastern feudals did.
Early game, doesn't seem to matter much (I've mostly been munching the northern map-edge little tribals, often in winter). Haven't paid much attention to supply, when armies are still so tiny. I guess the Felt Crafter boost to winter supply is too small to matter, if you've found winter attrition to be effective against them. (Or the AI doesn't build it, which is entirely possible).

Actually, since my game has already gotten side tracked into "Nomad capital buildings: how do they work? Do they work? Let's find out!" I suppose I should be more complete and see how much (if anything) the Felt Crafter actually does... :p
I just hope that they aren't able to move 6-8 thousand troops along provinces that I myself have 2k supplies without lodge traits. We both ignore defensive pagan attrition.
Re: river raiding Tynea, it would only be attractive in your feudal end state. You're going for castle, temple, 5 cities, right? That would be a tasty raiding target.
That's a plan. Out of curiosity counted and fully developed Perm duchy (42 holdings) will make for close to 50% of de jure kingdom size, and probably around 80-90% of it's income. Current kingdom of Lombardy owning slightly less than half of Italy is currently at 138 holdings with still what seems 40+ free holding slots. o_O So while big on map, we won't be as big as usually in holding numbers. And most lands to the east has between 2-3 holdings each.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That doesn't sound right. I had plenty of games on Silkroad and I never had to bother with Trade Post limits.
I know feudal realms care about Trade Post limits. That had a major effect on my personal demesne setup in my Zoroastrian Persia game, getting to the maximum 4 TPs and deciding which ones they should be. :D

Further experimentation - nomads obey the same TP limit rules as everyone else ("We don't play by the rules" seems to be the unofficial motto of nomads, so worth checking!). Cumania at Yam I and Trade I has 0/0 TPs. Oghuz at Yam IV and Trade I can build one in Yanglikent, since they had 0/1. Just to confirm, I also checked Zhetysu. They have the same buildings and tech as Cumania, and indeed are also at 0/0 and cannot build a TP in Almaty. The puzzling part is why Cumania is at "1/1" after taking Yanglikent. Being able to keep the formerly-Oghuz TP is perfectly plausible, but shouldn't the tech screen say I'm at 1/0 since I can't rebuild it if it gets destroyed? Weird.

I think you're right about the income they'll bring. It just looks terrible for now because of the -98% Looted Province modifier and a -50% Ravaged Lands modifier. Once those wear off, it should be pretty good! Funny how lots of warfare in the very recent past interferes with trade...

Reactions:
Where did you get info on highest income realms and counties? Could you give more info (location, owner) on the counties? Thank you, I am learning so much.
For realms I just went through biggest and Merchant republics. There is no avoiding that in order to beat up Byzantines or Abbasids, you have to be big yourself. Also doing this every 50 years means, that upset result are somehow limited (one such example was Umayad Spain, which got the good old Reconquista treatment). For Counties I use economic map - I learned that this map works more to highlight differences across similar wealthy regions more than worldwide - not every shade of green across map is the same. It seems counties wealth will grow slower than realm incomes.

I can add realm names for counties in ( ). I will update previous summaries.

You are welcomed.

Reactions:
Part VI (809-816)
Part VI (809-816)

Year 809
======================

Once again did some digging between playing sessions. This time main motivation was interest in how many chinese artifacts spawned since start of the game. Turns out - not many and mostly in India. From memory (after looking through every nomad and his vassal hordes) I counted 3 artifacts. Was initially thinking about liberating some relics from Nomad capitals, but it doesn't seem worth our raiders time. Spotted artifacts were of low quality and with not highly desired bonuses. That said I found something worth mentioning:
of4APuw.jpg

Suomenusko exclusive goodie!

Sampo is really nice and during theorycrafting phase was major argument for remaining as pagan. There is a spoonful of tar though. According to wiki - the game lies to us about National Tax affecting anything beside personal demense (which isn't national at all!). While both prestige and piety are good (as is extra stewardship), it isn't as good as straight +20% income flat. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Resuming raiding from last part, raidders proceed towards capital of Khaganate of Sibir. For some reason I can't start sieging them down. I don't remember losing any skirmish against them in previous years, so I'm dumbfounded. But if it isn't happening, then I can move back. No sense in suffering out-of supply penalty for nothing.

March provides sad news. Our beloved pregnant Chindyapa died due to food poisoning. It really was a difficult pregnancy. Well we need to find new target. While browsing through characters within diplomatic range I spot this abonimation:
jQdw9Og.jpg

Both Quick and Genius? You ok, game?

Ignoring those unexplainable deviancy, I find new potential mother for our future offspring - Euvje. She is attractive, Genius, Mystic and of Finno-Ugric culture group. This affair requires purchase of favour from her (80g) to proceed with invitation to Permian court. Her being locally present helps with not failing at seduction event pulses. Given she is 33 years old that's kind of important. Beside that - not the best base stats but I really want that smart genes to make future less of a chore. We greet her at our doorstep by spring.
OKZTxrB.jpg

Oh sweet Euvje, how many sons will you give our King?

With new motivation and after working out the best time-table, it is time (again) for some potential wars. We start process of breaking up our previously subjugated chief of Vologda by demanding Hlynow from him. We have generated clams for it and he complies, which is kind of dissapointing. Omurtag II specially didn't held army on his capital to encourage rebelion. That still is really important for our culture consolidation. Hlynow tribe borders many non-Komi provinces, and thus converting it will speed up spread of our Komi customs.
6E2qHPx.jpg

Managing internal politics and shaping future local landscape in Nenetsia

During may we can spend gold on our religious festival for 100 prestige and piety. After some digging through menus and discovering method of fixing failure from previous paragraph, the plot to revoke 1 of the remaining 2 tribes under Chief Panay starts. It works perfectly given current circumstances to finally strip him of all but 1 province. The motion enjoys lot of support from our vassals, so it easily reaches required treshold of 80% plot power. During feast, we experience behaviour of our Khanty vassal in Sibir: extremely lunatic probably due to suffering from Great Pox and having currently no heir, as well as prefering members of it's own sex. Spells rather bleak future. Most unfortunate, that one of his brothers is his heir.

After all the revelries are finished in June, we send our demands to chief Panay. This time, our vassal refuses. Too little - too late! To maximize time well spent I decide to extort tribute from one of neighbouring Khanty Chiefs in Siberia simultaneously. He was already looted, lowering his chances of having serious cash in next 10-20 years for ransoms. Our kingdom could always use more prestige. As it happens, our retinues were still waiting by his border - pure coincidence I swear :).
gRpigNx.jpg

Quick extortion of tribute to cheer up our raiders after fiasco in Sibir Khaganate

Somehow poorly placed offensive in calendar year has to proceed in autumn. I let our vassals and tributaries do most of heavy lifting by attaching them to small levy raised from Vologda holdings, while our retinue is sieging down Tui and Bulshoy Yugan in Sibir. One of my Lodge commanders is improved by Marshall, getting +3 Martial and Flanker commander trait. Neat! I definetely can use such combination with great results.

In second half of September Omurtag II finally scores wit Euvje - she really wanted to be seduced through high learning poetry option and he somehow managed (with learning of 8 compared to her 23...). Some vassal Khagan under Bolghars foolishly tries to pillage southern edge of Ural, when my main levy is 2 provinces away, so we move onto those fools. They wisely scram, before we can reach them.

October marks conclusion of tributary war in Siberia - Chief Arti of Bolshoy Yugan bends to us. Maybe 200 prestige is not much, but hey: here in Siberia it is honest work :). On more serious note: one of our investors died and to my horror we didn't inherit his wealth. At least I think so, because now his sister has 232 gold... Didn't expect such thing. Such thing cannot be allowed, so we invite her with her wealth. I check other investor and they don't have any family - so they are safe. But I have to retrieve our funds somehow.

By november we tumble Euvje few more times and then drama happens. To be honest I didn't not expected our other lover to sell us to general public. The one, generated through Seduction focus: Sochava. Well sucks for Euvje reputation, not Omurtag's. We do progress toward Seducer modifier (+1 Intrigue, +30 Sex Appeal). What's worse, our Attractive Quick Sochava stopped being our lover. So we lost access to relantionship free chance at Quick+Attractive offspring with her. She still has maxed opinion of us. Almost immedietely after unpausing something good happens - one of our rivals die, giving us chance of getting rid of stressed. If you wonder who he was - he was Cancer suffering husband of Chindyapa, our previous love interest. Fortunate turn of event I would say - not only it removes penalty to health but also bumps our stewardship. Our investor sister arrives as well, and I discover that I can't just imprison her due to religion differences (we would be slapped with -40 modifier for being tyrant). So we still have problems on hands.

In last month of this year, we suffer another fleeting. This time I remember to check options but opting out of it is not possible. I choose the best I can against my opponent (Word-Slayer... Ugh) and it goes as you expect. Minus 75 prestige...

Year 810
======================

In January we finally siege down first rebel chief's tribe. Walking there took really long. Traveling across Nenetsia is tricky even with Warrior Lodge unique commander trait, granting more supplies in winter. As it is the middle of winter I have to either wait on captured province, or move back to my own holdings. I decide on 2nd option to relieve currently besieged by rebels tribe. Also 1250 Bolghars show up, just west of our holdings in Perm.

After checking up on Euvje, we realise she is pregnant. Our next decision is to take Sochava as concubine. Not sure if seduction can mend our relationship (can with captured concubines), but she still should be at almost maximum relation thanks to huge +50 modifier from generating event. Currently we have 10/10 holdings so I don't mind more sons, especially if they would inherit genetic traits.

As it turns out, my expectations hold true in regards to nomads supplies in our lands. Even Tengri are heavily limited in Arctic lands, meaning we can feel more safe against big nomad blobs. I feel like we can beat reliably up to 6-7 thousand troops and general winter should nicely cut any nomad death stacks down even lower than that.
37Xdw3D.jpg

Perm too deadly even for nomads - do not approach!

Rebelion ends before winter truly leaves us (granting 50 prestige) and Vashka tribe goes under managment of newly arrived chief with 19 stewardship. Then with our retinues, we set out in full force against Bolghars having nice 7:1 advantage :). They run away intact having achieved nothing.

On 15th of April our oldest child finally matures and becomes Elusive Shadow (highest intrigue education level). I decide to marry her off to Romuva King of Galicia-Volhynia to secure possibility of alliance in the future. They will be bethrothed for 6 years, but we have time. Pracise range II is constructed in Tynea and Warcamp II in Pilva. We order construction of Warcamp II in Tynea to bolster garrison even further (it is close to being able to match 1250 bolghar riders).

Then it is finally time to divulge my plan towards de jure lands I hold, belonging to Nenetsia kingdom. The reason for breaking that vassal up, was desire to release each province as single county independent chief and then make tributaries out of them. With 5 vassals we are talking about 1000 prestige, as well as lowering our vassal limit. There is also a hope, that one of those Nenetsian chiefs, might manage to carve out realm strong enough to resist Norse predation and thus making our live easier by having potentially an extra ally. Before we start executing this plan, I need to move my retinue closer.
jrII9Wl.jpg

Omurtag II master plan: tributary prestige farming

In the meantime - in June Euvje gives us a son, but he doesn't display any outstanding qualities. He becames acknowledged as bastard just in case. Our retinues are finally in place and ready, so I finally release those Nenetsians. Turns out I didn't know about something important - after releasing a vassal, there is 10 year truce. So we can't just go with execution of our blitz speed campaign. Good thing, we did it now and not later. Given our king age, we still will be able to make those tribes our tributaries for few years before his death. Let's just hope that there will be anything to tribute in 10 years time.

In August, investment is made in upgrading our mercenary company (by sending more heavy equipment). They for some reason aren't being hired, while both cheaper and more expensive bands are. Perhaps I will use them myself, so it won't hurt to make them more formidable. By spending 200 gold we give them 50 more Heavy Infantry and 150 extra Pikemen. I did test various ratios of troops and what we currently have seems solid tactic wise. Also I hope that we will see cool Finno-Ugric Pikemen model for them.
vk7XO3S.jpg

Maybe we don't have any cavalry but that infantry composition is especially tough against nomads

I tinker some more with my concubine setup. Set aside the infamous Setyamka "Not Starweaver" because she is old (53 y.o.), and replace her with our current love interest after making her our lover (for better fertility). Bad luck doesn't leave me, as my Court Physician (Kind, Just, Humble, Honest, Wroth, Scholarly Theologian with 18 Learning) botches treatment of my oldest daughter food poisoning so badly, that I get an event to punish him. It is a really difficult decision on how to proceed. No piety to replace our doctor. Also don't want to make rival out of our Elusive Shadow daughter. I imprison him, reasoning that because he has gold he will be able to ransom himself (spoiler: it doesn't turn out to be possible). Let's keep him there for, let's say a year and just try to survive without Physician.
wgqUQbc.jpg

Not cool dude! I'm trying to grow my dynasty and alliances

December gets more action heavy, shortly before change of calendar.Omurtag finally manages te make Euvje his lover and almost immedietely makes her his concubine. My daughter clings to life and I spent 400 prestige on maxing Prestige Range in Perm. Gerasimos (Greek investor) dies, and we inherit his wealth. Few days later our Marshal informs us about betrayal of chief of Galich Mersky in duchy of Mari, for whose tribe we have a claim. Resulting in imprisoning him. I could take it now, but it would put me above demense limit. So I decide to ransom him for 70g.

Year 811
====================

With start of 811, I change my focus towards Scholarship. At long last. I could keep trying to get perfect heir, but I give up for now. Omurtag still has passive chance of siring more heirs through concubines and lovers. By taking Scholarship not only will we go through building observatory event, but also boost our chances on writing another book - which, we are once again eligible for. Sadly I was too hasty with clicking writing book decision without unpausing the game, which make game not take into consideration our updated stats. Meaning we didn't get the option to write learning assosiated book. The decision remains between martial and family topics - begrudgingly we end to write about dynasty. Meh. But we also can choose ambition of seeing realm prosper (it also went through full cooldown period). And of course Way of Life DLC classic - build an observatory. I make sure to park our spymaster in Byzantium for stealing technology (our current ruler focus makes success in it far more likely).
knRMg3F.jpg

Middle age crisis at it's finest. Omurtag II decides on building realm prosperity, writing book and constructing observatory :D

But wait! There is more. I also commison another artifact. I forgot earlier, that weapons and armor also provide small but steady trickle of prestige. So it would be nice to buy them now instead of later.

In April our previous Court Physician dies... Seems not only can't he help to heal minor health issues but also isn't much of survivor himself. I didn't even put him in Oubliete! This is troubling - we don't have anyone to replace him. Seems our plans keep getting derailed. Commisioned blacksmith arrives and we decide on Axe of highest possible quality (-180 gold). We also set out with 8000 troops to start raiding again. I decide (maybe against better judgement) on Estonian lands and to move down after. Our Ethiopian chancellor presents us with opportunity of claim fabrication for the humble price of 37 gold and 150 prestige. We accept his offer.

As I check out on our sick daughter in summer, she makes full recovery. Funny how this whole 'Food poisoning' incident turned out. As our raiders slowly march towards Baltic, our Blacksmith delivers quality 2 War-Axe. Not the greatest but still +0.5 prestige monthly will give us 600 prestige over the next century. That's something.
GBNx6S5.jpg

Getting perfect weapon for whole playthrough is tricky, as we will utilize all kinds of infantry at various stages

Tynea finished War Camp II, putting it almost up to level of most of our duchies and I realise that for some reason I am at negative prestige. Perhaps one of the choices in Blacksmith event? It isn't tremendous amount but it still caught me off-guard.

December for some reason always has abundance of action. While looting Narva Tribe, we find key to our polish lootbox. Which turns out to have 200 gold inside. Somehow I glitched out the game, because this event fires twice and second instance generated nothing (which is fair). Upon closer inspection it turns out, that (without my intention) both Narva and adjecent Kalevan tribes were looted at the exactly same day, and both triggered "finding the key" event. Huh. Would be funny, if both instances generated some gold. But I'm happy with "Not-Santa" this year.
CN2bAkT.jpg

Confirmed. Polish lootboxes - best rng and most consumer friendly.

Year 812
===============================

Year starts with decision regarding our astrologic pursuits - what will we observe with our new facility? Stars obviously, which means going for military technology points and Scholar. Scholar lifestyle will help with prosperity events MTTH, while Mystic doesn't (it has though Necronomicon, which hugely helps with Learning). While military technology isn't tremendously attractive long term, we still need IV level of Military Organisation for being able to convert away from pagan religion.

It takes me up to February to remember, that I was sacking for prisoners (not lootboxes) so it is time to press magic "Ransom all" button.
CNavlWf.jpg

Those numbers won't stop amazing me

Then IT happened, as we were happily looting. Out of nowhere Omurtag II died. Not gonna lie - didn't expect that, as we got rid of Stressed. I don't think we had much of prestige loss and definetely not piety (in matter of fact my score went into negatives xD - how often does that happen to players?), but the gold spent both on writing the book and observatory is lost. As is our claim on Galichy-Mersky, ability to double dip into tributaries from Nenetsia-Project (but at least we skip what remained of forced truce). What a reign of 37 years it was. We went from 0 to max prosperity in perm + cleared 2 space for 2 more holdings, consolidated our rule in Perm duchy then forged kingdom, created mercenary band and started Komi'nification of our de-jure subject on top of further development of our personal tribes. Raided as fas as Vistula and kept nomads in check. Somehow non planned turns of events were quite enjoyable to experience firsthand.
WD7Kiwx.jpg

King Omurtag II went to take glorious place among his ancestors. In family tradition King Sarin I takes over while young

His 12 year old son Sarin I will now rule. We are in quite the mess. 10/7 demense and 4 duchies. That's -50 opinions from vassals on top of short reign penalty. We arrange our new council and guardian (which is Sochava - previous lover of Omurtag II). As we unpause we immedietely get good education outcome, as we change Playful into Deceitful. And boy do we have use for more Intrigue helping with passive protection against plots now. Then I decide to change our guardian again - this time to our prussian genius steward, who can make us Patient and has overall good stats (Also doesn't have Cynical, which I hope makes it somehow less likely that Curious will evolve into that).
4HsTpU5.jpg

New Permian CEO. Doesn't look promising. Also last of our line.

By June we get notified that our strongest vassal and also heir - High Chief of Votyaki, is trying to get claim on our Kingdom. At the moment he lacks popular support to enforce it. That said we have quite a few years of regency ahead of us and our mother is currently rulling, I don't have idea how will she manage our Kingdom. We throw a Great Tribal Festival to try and accomodate rest of subjects vassals, going under 2000 in treasury once again. It is one of few decisions that we can make at the moment, and maybe it will buy us just enough time and positive opinion modifiers to wither the storm. We spend some coins on fortune telling and get some positive outcome - +0.5 health. Not bad! It slightly shields us from dangers of sickness.

We keep looting baltics, and I decide to give the high chiefdom of Yugra title away, to our Komi vassal in Siberia. It should somehow help with abysmal opinions.

Before end of year, things get way more complicated as our young king discovers joys of homo eroticism. In true CK2 fashion it only gives ammunition for our unruly vassals. What's more, we are kinda hanging by the thread with "spare" playable options. I become less confident in our ability to survive regency without concessions.

Year 813
=======================

By February our mother - Setyamka "the not Starweaver" dies due to old age. So our regent changes. Now it is Ehtiopian chancellor. Who would thought he would become one, when he left trading caravan? Still better than our Ambitious Votyaki vassal. Which, we somehow keep in check, but soon he gets close to 65% plot power and bunch of backers. I definetely can't lose our troops while raiding - it will spell disaster. I also leave auto-stop plots box checked.
aPFRVYs.jpg

That's not very nice, you know?

Time is working for us. With each month, year penalty for short reign slowly dissapears and surviving till legal age, where we will retake some power becomes more realistic prospect. I didn't send the gifts because of our low diplomacy it is not really worth the cost (20g for +2 relations...). If only Omurtag II knew and could take ambition of grooming the heir, then we could offset this whole situations with positive modifiers - Sarin is at perfect age for Introduction to realm. But here we are in "introduction without king-father" scenario.

By April our raiders loot the easter egg "+2 Axe" from Marienburg. We hardly get any prisoners without warrior lodge, but I hope for some events at least. If we are even eligible for them. Months pass uneventful when it comes to notification and I can only dread what happens behind the scenes. Not many things to report I'm afraid.

July - highest level of Practise Range is done in Perm. I don't spend any prestige at the moment as it helps with opinions if ever so slightly.

August - Elder Gurgen dies, we inherit his vast wealth. Also 3 prisoners are picked from Plock to our dungeon.

September - Master of Bow Irter dies, we Inherit his wealth again. We keep looting polish High Chiefs, in hopes of repeating lucky results.

October - stewardship of Sarin is enough to get rid of Smuggler Ring modifier in Hlynov. Kind of embarassing to previous owner that teenager restored order there.

November - Marshal Arvo Arvo gets military technology event. It is nice event for prosperity in capital, if capital isn't already at maximum level. Can't afford to move our older sister holding the spymaster office from monitoring our court to utilize it better by siphoning more technology from Byzantium. While not super important I'm content that he doesn't abuse his office now, as it could somehow maybe prevent us from reacting. We also pass 2500 gold treshold in our treasury. I'm certain our current vassal heir would love to take over that small fortune.
bete16j.jpg

Not much but it is heartwarming that our council is hard at work in visible for us ways

Year 814
=======================

First thing out of importance happens in March - we get good outcome for eduation: fussy into patient from our guardian also being patient. I forgot that fussy, can also evolve into Diligent by guardian intervention. Well let's hope our guardian will push us towards being as ambitious as him quickly befor becoming adult. That would be huge boon. Confusion about Sarin sexual orientation also continues:
wsIcIir.jpg

Difficult world of teenage sexuality

Finally some gameplay. I choose women option thinking that it won't matter much and then I'm presented in choosing between Lustful and Chaste. That's tricky. I need to repopulate dynasty but also - Chaste grands +1 Learning! My king could take plenty of concubines + wife and probably not drown in children for now. So I opt for Chaste resulting in Sarin having -30% Fertility currently. Time surely went fast, as our guardian makes us Ambitious by becoming our rival. This is the best outcome I could hope for. Now if we roll Shrewd from Curious, we will be totally rocking. Cynical isn't bad either for prosperity events as possible outcome. Somehow out of nowhere, Sarin became really good candidate for succesfully ruling Perm.

As snow melts so does Khazarian blob. They suffer from some instability resulting in dropping some of their previous tribal subject. It is joyous news, as so far I observed with anxiousness how they keep growing on the map, and taking oportunities from us. Also last time I checked they were at around 20 out of 26 thousand population, so not far away from invading some bigger realm.
0NFV29F.jpg

I hope they implode!

In may things turn bad. Our older sister - Virtyava, which was our Spymaster was murdered on Chief of Votyaki orders - the same one who is trying to usurp our kingdom! We can't do anything about it, as Council sees him as part of our dynasty due to lack of heir and refuses to punish him to not weaken "our dynasty". Arghh! He will pay for it! I don't know how exactly he did it, as I already knew about his scheme and it wasn't against Virtyava. I don't think it will be an overstatement that things got little too "precarious" for my taste.

Once again we loot 2 places (Wroclaw, Krakow) at the same day, but this time without any strange chest sheningans. I decide to move our retinue back - mostly to save on Piety (currently -66). I realised the need for some piety to be able to Choose Patron Deity, as well as having troops to deal with unforseen circumstances might be also a wise idea. Thus slow and careful movement of retinues towards Perm begins, while levies go towards Cieszyn, as it's holder has 300 gold.

As I keep monitoring retinues, I get caught while trying to loot Slavic Bavaria. By way more troops than character screen showed! It is bad - their 10 thousand troops against our 4000 and we are somewhat without commanders. That said we get pretty good tactics (2/3 flanks roll feint) and we overall are losing 48 people per day in comparison to 93 losses suffered by our enemies. Sadly we get routed soon, and lose over half of our levies. It is a disaster! Luckily our levies are mostly replenished in tribes, meaning we had pretty big safety cushion. Even after looking up from where did over 8 thousand extra troops came I can't make it out. I think I got screwed by few warring AI dogpiling on me. After changing map modes I finally make out some sense from this mess - seems it was due to Christian Duke of Salzburg holy warring bavaria, that I just got under Central European Slavic alliance steamroller :/. Most unlucky.
q33jJhb.jpg

Who just believed character screen, and didn't check for allies in holy wars before raiding? <--- THIS GUY :D

Year 815
=======================

If you wonder how the religions are doing, I can update you on that. It goes as "well" as usual "769 bookmark" start games tend to do. Even without our intervention, Catholicism kinda imploded into Catharism (mostly on British Isles), Waldensianism in France and Lollards in both south-western Germany and Spain. Islam isn't doing much better. The only relatively stable religions are Iconoclasm + trio of Jainism/Budhism/Hinduism. Also remember that one Norse ruler who converted almost immedietely after start of Viking Age? I checked up on him - he was dogpiled by rest of Scandinavia and northern germany and lost 60% of his realm size. Truly hillarious!
Bh81xfL.jpg

My first time experiencing such cursed world-state. Interesting how will it evolve with time

By April our retinues are only 2 provinces away from our holdings. I don't think I ate any extra attrition losses but our piety shows -110. And whatever left of our levies is revenge-sacking Bohemia. Maybe not the safest options, but aften panicking that plot will fire due to our diminished levies it turns out that most of our tribes were already mostly refilled with levies - leaving us with safety cushion.

Then we get another new event. Option to stop pursuing members of our own sex. I actually would like to keep it, but it costs 50 piety. So I can't take that hit for "the boys" :D". So we can interpret it, as our adolescent ruler realising after his older sister untimely death, that his dynasty fate depends on him. Also Regenstauf castle falls to us.
R29JXkN.jpg

Probably due to us not telling other "homies" that we love them, this world will become worse world. That said one of those homies kind of murdered our close kin so...

Descendant of our Komi vassal in Siberia, starts plotting for Khantia tribe (currently hold by us). He is pretty pissed, because the positive modifier his father had for granting High Chief title, didn't carry. As they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and our previous strategy backfired on us. I also recall our levies from Bohemia.

By August our regency finally ends! We luckily roll on highest lvl of Stewardship Education (Midas Touched) and also Shrewd. Oh boy... That is some serious very good fortune. Sadly we somehow also get Cynical, but I think as we can't lose shrewd due to trait limit we are ok for now. Don't have to worry about passive loss of one of current traits. Just luck at this absolute king of a unit!
1lOmqyj.jpg

It's start of our payback story! Didn't expect for Sarin to turn so well!

I don't choose ambition yet, as I'm not certain if I'm able to retain peace for 5 years. Instead we go with Intrigue focus. It works nicely for few reasons currently - we want to spy on some of our vassals, to break motion of different king coming into power, as well as trying to retrieve funds from sister of our long dead nomad manichean investor. On lvl ups we will only get schemer modifier, as we don't have intrigue education and we already are deceitful. We also take Sochava and Euvje as concubines (father and son seem to like the same women, if we include dreams about Razhava + good genes and prestige) and find interesting finnish wife worthy of our status!I won't actively try to repeat previous mistakes with succession.

Dmqi6lI.jpg

Noble Wife - something that rarely occurs in my playthroughs

We also don't have to worry about opinion as much, as extra stewardship put us at 10/10 demense size resulting in not longer eating that nasty penalty of -30 opinion from vassals due to over limit demense size.

In september we get approached by demonic cult. One of Omurtag II lovers - Razhava (the only about which Sarin dreamt) chats us up. Normally I would not mind, but I kinda have already what I want in this ruler and don't see much reason in trying to mess it up. We could get familiar for extra +2 Learning, but I don't feel like rolling further rng for bad genetic mutation is sound idea. It could also help us with our revenge - true. But I think ambitious Sarin will get more satisfaction by doing it himself.

I decide to change our capital location from Perm to Kudymkar. Why you ask? For prosperity gain, which I feel kinda lags behind. Many events won't give us extra prosperity in Perm anyway, as it is already maxed. While the Crown Focus can still fire it's prosperity related events in Perm. With that we can now Worship Ancestors. Sacrificing one of our captured prisoners for "Prosperity option" also gives us 60 piety. With festival next year we probably, will be able to choose our patron deity. Stewardship deity should only have 2 possible events due to our high stewardship - getting new friends and increasing prosperity in our capital

By November we succesfuly spread vicious rumors about our female investor replacement, getting Amateur Schemes modifier in process granting +1 Intrigue. More importantly: it (if I remember correctly) cuts down MTTH for intrigue events, as well as making us somewhat more resistant to hostile attempts.

As December starts, our steward and previous mentor succesfully settles Khantia with Komi settlers. This is first step for our culture across that side of Ural mountains. It is of importance as due to how Ural Mountains divide borders between Perm and Siberia, I think most of provinces on the other side are not adjecent to our culture land. Making culture spread impossible. That's why I prioritised planting our culture in Siberia. After that I send him to build our Legend, and Spymaster to Byzantine Empire to steal technology. Risky? Not really, as plots against us stopped. Won't make our ruler forget though.
3JDJf2w.jpg

Komi settlers arrive into Siberia

Year 816
=================

New year starts with chance of accusing our spied target of heresiarchy. At this point I wasn't sure, if this is enough for tyranny free banishment. Wiki page also doesn't list banishment - only arrest. So I had to risk it. And the risk paid off.
SewbFQr.jpg

It almost feels like debt collecting

I made sure it is safe by checking on one of our imprisoned vassals and if there would be tyranny, the menu would inform us about. With that we can finally retrieve over 300 gold! Putting us at almost 3200 gold treshold. After that success, we start spying on Chieftain Ngenna (who tried to plot for one of our titles). She should be relatively easy target with just 6 intrigue and warm us up, before starting our main revenge scheme. We also order 3rd level of culture building in Perm (more and better heavies!). Now that most of Perm is mostly at lvl 2 buildings I plan on pouring in all resources into 1 place at the time. We start from Perm tribe, because it has the most holding slots resulting in best return of investment.
6Sk25qv.jpg

Current development progress in Perm Tribe

Out of curiosity I notice something really good for us. Look at this:

HHKDZC7.jpg

First appointment of our mercs! Truly baptism by fire.

Finally our Permiam band starts generating profits. After inspection I'm less happy. Our band is already reduced in size by half, and whoever is hiring them is in several losing battles at once. Including Abbasid vassal and Khazaria vassal horde, which might mean that our mercenaries will get wiped out :/. Which would mean that we lose whole investment (losing over 400 gold bad). On the other hand they can kind of prove themselves against all cavalry armies (assuming Ruler AI isn't total moron and doesn't feed them into impossible battles).

It doesn't take long to dig up some dirt on Nenetsian female chief. Seems that her Cynicism didn't do her well, as we accuse her of spreading vile heresies. It enables us to imprison her. To maximize chance of arrest I would need to place marshal on her capital first, something not currently possible due to cooldowns.
huFe5pK.jpg

She is clearly heretic! I have evidence - trust me :) Love passing justice

And on topic of marshal - our favourite event's fires again! I replace him with 12 martial greedy, deceitful courtier I have currently in court. Then it is old music - we send new marshal to "Supress Revolts" in capital, wait few days for bonus to apply and put Arvo Arvo in cell, before banishing him. Easy 100g. It dawns on me, that I don't have to wait to imprison chieftes Ngenna - if she rebel's I can just seize her land getting rid of one of last Nenetsians in my de jure kingdom. We fire our shot and succeed. At least I can ransom her for 70g. Also our new capital Prospers (lvl 1 prosperity!)
u7uvxwk.jpg

Average time in Marshal office of Perm Kingdom is not long for each holder. It is fruitful though!

By winter's end I also enforce change regarding Vassal Obligations. This time pushing Church one step towards tax orientation. As I researched topic of temples profitability, it turns out it is worth the effort. The math isn't complicated - direct vassals holding temples contribute yearly around 3.2 gold. Over century that makes for 320 gold. That is without many income modifiers like prosperity, stewardship bonuses of holder or monastic society bonuses. Once we get access to Monastic societies, we will be able to work towards building temples for half their prices. We can build some temples ourselves in Perm (1 per province is minimum anyway) and it just works out to be 250 gold per 1st temple in province. That's 70g profit over 100 years at least. We probably will spend more than 100 years between converting to organised religion and feudalising. I also hope that bishop AI will either use their wealth on infrastructure (meaning more income and extra piety!) or save enough to be worth "nationalising" it for king use. Yes it can potentially backfire depending on how many prosperity events fire. I still consider it being net gain and something worth doing with our economy before going full feudal. Interesting side note - temple vassals have somehow higher tax modifier possible than city vassals. While in the end cities do pay more, I'm not certain if due to lacking technology+infrastructure temples might pay as much in taxes over the whole playthrough.
VVs7zm2.jpg

And where were you, when King Sarin I proposed Church taxation bill of year 815?

With spring we slander Chief Ngenna, and with that I'm pretty sure we exhausted our possible options for spying on her. So it is time to move onto next offender. Time to check, what is our not happy vassal in Siberia up to. As we prepare Sarin's first Ugon Juhla festival, our levies are finally back and our Permian mercenary band is still not dead (it even replenished around 100 people, which might be huge against nomad - I cheer for High Chief of Aghbanian in his woes). By June festivities end and we quickly choose our Patron Deity - Ukko (for prosperity gains, even though Akka or Tappio&Mielikki would also help our stats tremendously). With that we reach 24 (!) Stewardship. We also declare tributary war on one of nenetsian chiefs released by Omurtag II. He tries to surrender, but as I'm reading tooltips, I don't see our prestige gain listed so I decline (for extra 20 prestige). Sarin after fruitless spy session in Siberia, finally moves onto spying his nemesis - High Chief of Votyaki.

Joining Followers of Otso, is somewhat risky, so I delayed that decision till now. I need to start gaining warrior lodge currency for leveling up and unlocking "Reaver" passive ability. So holding breath I click on button for joining. I hope we don't get some bad luck. As soon as I write those words, game strucks again. Ancestor Worship results in penalty of 20% to vassal tax. It the negative outcome from "Stewardship" related option we went for. Out of curiosity I calculated how likely it was - with our human sacrifice it was 7% chance. Around 7 times less likely than nothing happening. Well better this than other rng rolls I suppose. Initiation Duel goes as well as our current luck is. We lose and get wounded. I was hoping that having weapon equiped will help (+7 personal combat). While not overly possible - game please don't kill me.
QSsNQXn.jpg

Ukko'dammit! Our subjects probably start thinking that Permian wealth comes from extorting them. It is more hillarious than damaging at this stage

In October Sarin becomes fledgling in warrior lodge and finishes first war of extorting tribute. It should please our vassal on top of generating prestige. We move our retinue onto next tribe north - Syrj. I plan on concluding those wars at once, and then moving onto 5 years of peace. Our young CEO also participates in fleeting (at this point you know my opinion of that event) and somehow wins easy battle, for only -10 prestige total via options. So even if we win, we lose on prestige. I think the only way to get something worthwhile from it number wise is dueling offended/offenders for extra prestige, personal combat score and rivals for even more duels to farm. Something I definetely want to avoid in this AAR (had few test games in previous year, where my genius ruler got chopped by rivals in duel 3 years into his reign D:). Also I definetely don't want to fight when wounded and having swollen ankle modifier. We quickly get issued mission to wage war on Khazarian vassal. No thanks. Ambitious I will admit. But of little profit to us.

November starts with slandering High Chief Chipaz "the Merry" of Votyaki, finally leveling up our Schemer (currently at +2 Intrigue) and beating Syrj levies for quick war conclusion (another 200 prestige). In the same manner we also beat up quickly Chief of Pinega before year ends. What will future bring?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
That's one heck of a Khazaria, even with the big revolter! :D I guess if you are intending any blob-control actions against them, hitting them during a big revolt like that would be the time. Though young Sarin has a long to do list already, and I don't know if that big Khazar revolt is still ongoing...

Slavic Bavaria? What?? o_O Since my second-favorite CK2 game was Zoroastrian Persia, I'm also interested to see that Manichean (as the main branch of Zoroastrianism - how do they do that and change from the red heresy colored religion icon?) has quite a lot of provinces. Is an AI ruler making progress on restoring the Persian Empire? Very strange to see Iconoclast+Orthodox < Manichean+Zoroastrian! That suggests that the Byzantines are probably doing poorly. Did they get hit by that Khazar blob, or just the usual combo of Abbablob plus the national pastime of civil wars?

Regarding mercenary companies formed by the player realm - I know there are substantial differences between how this works for tribals and nomads (you have control over troop types and numbers, as far as I can tell I don't...). But the finances should be the same. When someone hires your company, does the money go to you as the sponsor, or to whoever you've appointed as captain? Looking at the wiki, it mentions that when feudals use a mechanic from Conclave that I've never noticed or used (and don't find all that appealing, so no loss...), the ruler gets 15% of the money. It is unclear if that also applies to the tribal and nomad cases.

This "fleeting" you mention is some warrior lodge game mechanic? It sounds annoying, whatever it is. :)

Interesting to see your use of Intrigue focus. That's one of the ones I almost never use, though I certainly see the appeal in young Sarin's situation. Trying to think what I'd have done in that situation - probably Family, but Intrigue would be a fairly close second, and you're showing why! I guess with a wife and full set of concubines the fertility bonus from Family probably isn't needed.

Winter attrition - interesting! That's exactly the scenario I'll need to investigate with the Felt Crafter, when I have time (busy week...). Edit: just tried it, since your post reminded me. Felt Crafter's "+0.4 Winter Supply" actually does what I'd expect, and that 1.0K supply limit would become 1.4K. So if a nomad bothers to build a few levels of Sheep (the effect of which is indistinguishable from nothing) they could push their winter supply into the 2K+ range. But your armies are already well above that so you're safe no matter how much felt they craft.

I hadn't caught that you're also expanding east of the Urals - why is that? Just the usual "why not?" of Paradox games, since if you don't seize those provinces the nomads will pasture-ize them sooner or later? It does considerably increase your border with nomads, but then again I'm sure you don't care if those provinces get raided.

I'm not sure I follow your western border scheme of releasing those five counts as independent realms, then making them tributaries. Is this the flavor of tributary that ends when your ruler dies, and that's what you mean by farming 1000 prestige from them (so 1000 prestige/lifetime)? Or is this a one time thing, setting up the permanent flavor of tributary?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Well, Omortag had a good life, even if he died when his dynasty was in bad condition. He truly got to... experience the joy of love... and it looks like Sarin is following in his footsteps.

Khazaria looks like an issue. If they collapse, will you look into filling the power vacuum with yourself?

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's one heck of a Khazaria, even with the big revolter! :D I guess if you are intending any blob-control actions against them, hitting them during a big revolt like that would be the time. Though young Sarin has a long to do list already, and I don't know if that big Khazar revolt is still ongoing...
I didn't decide yet. I was looking through Liberate casus belli options, and nothing is capable of weakenening them enough in one war. Not only is that currently the best CB, but also it leaves independent realms. Perfect solution for this AAR, as I don't intend to expand westward. Not too keen on several decades long war campaign against them (it will cut into our prosperity gain and occupy pillaging armies). Also they did lost far more that I realised - not only some tribals went independent but also Pechenegs are no longer Khazars tributaries.
Slavic Bavaria? What?? o_O Since my second-favorite CK2 game was Zoroastrian Persia, I'm also interested to see that Manichean (as the main branch of Zoroastrianism - how do they do that and change from the red heresy colored religion icon?) has quite a lot of provinces. Is an AI ruler making progress on restoring the Persian Empire? Very strange to see Iconoclast+Orthodox < Manichean+Zoroastrian! That suggests that the Byzantines are probably doing poorly. Did they get hit by that Khazar blob, or just the usual combo of Abbablob plus the national pastime of civil wars?
What can I say - west Slavs are doing well. Not well enough to reform but theirs is among 3 religions with most moral authority. Manichean lost it's red colouring because it became main denomination - it flips once one of heresies has 5 more provinces of it's religion that what currently is main cult. Zoroastrianism remains in Abbasid provinces, as Sunni lacks Moral Authority to convert it away (also current 16 years Abbasid Caliph is slow, shy, arbitrary, kind and has amazing stat line of 0/10/3/0/0; but probably will be upstaged by his teenage relative diligent, shrewd, cruel heir). Manicheans came from different sources - Uyghur Khan is responsible for balooning province number (it isn't rare occurence, as between Zoroastrianism loosing provinces and Khans instantly fleeping their provinces religions I regularly see Zoroastrian-Manichean flip). Khazars are too far away - there is also another quite big khaganate west of khazars. Byzantine-Abbasid border remained stable - it is, a Slavic Kingdom of Serbia&Bulgaria that eats Byzzies up. Upon closer inspection, few Orthodox dukes in Anatolia won their independence, which kinda spells bad future for Greek Iconoclasts. Also I found something funny - what left of Armenia is mostly in hands of Christian (Miaphysite) Emirate.
Regarding mercenary companies formed by the player realm - I know there are substantial differences between how this works for tribals and nomads (you have control over troop types and numbers, as far as I can tell I don't...). But the finances should be the same. When someone hires your company, does the money go to you as the sponsor, or to whoever you've appointed as captain? Looking at the wiki, it mentions that when feudals use a mechanic from Conclave that I've never noticed or used (and don't find all that appealing, so no loss...), the ruler gets 15% of the money. It is unclear if that also applies to the tribal and nomad cases.
In non-nomadic mercenary bands initial money goes to captain. I have used this Mercenary Companies Guide in the past to great results. Whatever our monthly cut is of little importance. I will take over mercenary company funds in the far future (as long as they don't get wiped out). I count on them generating close to 10.000 gold before we feudalise. And after that I can prepare them to be our "Anti-Mongol" army, as with obligation laws changes levies probably will be very small. Given that we probably will have gold, I can fully deck them out as Pikemen or even Light Cavalry+Heavy Cavalry force. Tribals have exactly the same rules as feudals regarding mercenary companies and I personally find them to be reliable way of earning gold as tribal (you monetize your strenght - military).
This "fleeting" you mention is some warrior lodge game mechanic? It sounds annoying, whatever it is. :)
It is basically rap-battling other members of warrior-lodge for society currency, cool or less cool nicknames and some prestige. Usually can end in dueling, which keeps increasing prestige and personal combat score through experience. Great if someone prepares to start Legendary Gathering in order to create bloodline. But for me not so much currently.
Winter attrition - interesting! That's exactly the scenario I'll need to investigate with the Felt Crafter, when I have time (busy week...). Edit: just tried it, since your post reminded me. Felt Crafter's "+0.4 Winter Supply" actually does what I'd expect, and that 1.0K supply limit would become 1.4K. So if a nomad bothers to build a few levels of Sheep (the effect of which is indistinguishable from nothing) they could push their winter supply into the 2K+ range. But your armies are already well above that so you're safe no matter how much felt they craft.
Good find :). Nomads can achieve highest Winter Supply - by getting those buildings on top of Winter commander trait and Suomenusko warrior lodge trait. But AI most likely won't. Turns out Shield of Thundra commander trait is supplying extra 3000 troops, which is really nice.
I hadn't caught that you're also expanding east of the Urals - why is that? Just the usual "why not?" of Paradox games, since if you don't seize those provinces the nomads will pasture-ize them sooner or later? It does considerably increase your border with nomads, but then again I'm sure you don't care if those provinces get raided.
It was before Omurtag II started subjugating kingdom of Perm. Maybe this will be a spoiler but... I plan on growing way more south and east. So taking over Tribals in siberian north is worth it sooner than later. I also want some of nomads lands - they are perfect for this experiment as they come with no infrastructure, technology and wrong culture+religion. I will aim for Empire, but it won't be in the shape of de jure Volga-Ural or Tartaria. Would make custom but I kinda doubt it is possible with current rules to get as much prestige during single reign. I also don't plan on eradicating nomads entirely - want to leave some room for Mongols to be more of a challenge. And lastly increasing borders with nomads currently seems like a bonus - easier time pillaging nomad capitals due to distance.
I'm not sure I follow your western border scheme of releasing those five counts as independent realms, then making them tributaries. Is this the flavor of tributary that ends when your ruler dies, and that's what you mean by farming 1000 prestige from them (so 1000 prestige/lifetime)? Or is this a one time thing, setting up the permanent flavor of tributary?
You are correct. This is "Extort Tribute" CB, which stops after attacker ruler death. 1000 prestige translates into fully upgrading single tribal building from 0. Plans didn't pan out - wanted to extort them before Omurtag II died. And theeen quickly after Sarin I took over. In other words we missed on 1000 prestige in the long run. Also our tributaries remain relatively safe from any blobs.
Well, Omortag had a good life, even if he died when his dynasty was in bad condition. He truly got to... experience the joy of love... and it looks like Sarin is following in his footsteps.

Khazaria looks like an issue. If they collapse, will you look into filling the power vacuum with yourself?
It turned out much more interesting that I foresaw. I was expecting much more boring reign after forging kingdom. To be honest I kind off dreaded what will this 9th age bring for this AAR, as it is kind off barren when it comes to major objectives (beside getting filthy rich and prospering). Luckily for me it seems, geopolitics will keep me busy for few decades. Funnily Sarin kind of follows the footsteps of his father by picking up the same chicks (and it is not entirely my fault :D).

I don't plan on taking over Khazars. Their tribal vassals are too far in the west for my taste, and their core land while nicely situated in vicinity of Byzantine Empire for some Mass Conversion mechanics from Holy Fury - have Silkroad tradeposts. Which are step too far and I feel take away (in the same way as raiding with ships) from this AAR experience. That said I aim to be somehow on Silkroad for Chinese Empire mechanics, but that is in the future. I kinda dream of Siberia being potentially important trade partner for China (even without mods that create new trade routes, I can at least imagine it x]). Khazars could remain as potential source of Jewish Councillors. But not in the shape of blob posing danger of taking over other regional powers.

I suspect it will be a long time, before Perm will grow more than single missing province of duchy here and there. Probably will remain King+ sized realm for unusually long from min/maxing perspective. Which is fine by me.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part VII (817-824)
Part VII (817-824)

Year 817
======================

As always - did some digging between playing sessions. Mostly for potential investors. Turns out that gold veins is almost exhausted, as I managed to only find 4-5 potential targets within our diplomatic range. We invite 3 of them to fill our Elders positions (possibly will have to do some spying, also I count they won't die during travel), as well as inviting nice husband for our older sister.
yAtBfZI.jpg

New court members. What can I say? Sarin likes big company

After long pondering, I decided to roll the dice and try to liberate Vladimir out of nomadic rule. Given that vassal hordes are split in rebelion I hope that huge chunk of Khagan forcess will be from his tribal vassals, thus he won't have such big quality advantage. I also fire subjugation war against chief of Mari - to save on time (he has only 1 tribe).
OGtX1A7.jpg

Time to bring back balance to the force... I mean Eastern Europe!

Turns out only 2 out of 3 investors are willing to come to Perm (as 3rd is married which prevents us from using favour on him... Didn't remember about that). Which, means that I once again wasted over 100 gold. Some good news follow: by start of February spying on our arch-nemesis chief of Votyaki pays off - we catch him with arrest+revocation reason (perfect). But not now. As our warriors marshall, it dawns on me that most of Vladimir is empty of holdings, thus making the war somewhat tough. Was counting on tribes still being there. Will have to win some battles against Khazars in open I suppose.

In March via event interesting woman wanting to be our marshall arrives. She is good for being commander but not for tribals. Thus I have to decline those nice 60% Defence and Morale Defence modifiers. Her being just also disqualifies her from our Marshall office :). Corrupt only!
aAvYHQI.jpg

Brave Komi woman fighting uphill battle. She probably can bring troops to melee phase but then Nomads will make bowling pins out of our forces... Soo better luck elsewhere!

Siege of Mari Tribe finally starts in May. Troops almost gathered and concentrated in single place. Sarin's sister gave birth to girl out of wedlock, making her finally eligible to be married to our handpicked candidate. Maybe some promising descendant from her line will one day rule this kingdom.

It takes us almost all of June before defenders of Mari surrender and thus whole subjugation is finished. Nice. With it whole of de jure duchy of Mari is now under our rule. For bonus - chief of Mari has mentioned in previous part Sampo that will go into our treasury with some luck during replacement process.
7SMgQRR.jpg

Fort Construction #101. Let's hope that this investment will help us win the whole conflict sooner and won't be just a terrible waste of wealth

Next month and Perm forces arrive in Vladimir to start constructing forts to hold provinces. By the end we get spying chance for abduction of our sworn enemy and murderer of Sarin sister, thus we try. Not long after our minions report success and High Chief of Votyaki occupies our dungeon cell. First revoke Ilyinsk tribe and replace it's previous ruler with skilled stewardship courtier generated from decisions (Invite Noble), to boost culture conversion MTTH of nenets families living there. Turns out he isn't eligible to being executed for his murder, which is kind of a bummer. Wanted to roll that execution rng and see what method get's used. Given our capital location we have access to unique way of leaving someone to freeze. But sadly doesn't seem it will be the case this time. Having accepted the traditional laws, Sarin gets down to business and torture him by lashing. Our CEO gets cruel trait, which is more of downside. He won't utilize morale damage modifier in battles and it puts us dangerously around the limit of traits on top of usual penalties. Well at least we got the satisfaction of avenging our close kin. As permian saying goes: "Vengeance is dish best served cold... and with lots of elk milk". Sarin focuses his spies on Chief of Mari (working towards Sampo).
p0F6LcE.jpg

You fool. You ordered king's sister death, while you were plotting to overthrow us. Let us carve those claims into your back with a whip

After that in September some nomads renmants fight us in Nizhny Novgorod. It is one of local minor Khazar hordes. Good occassion to whittle down nomad adversaries. Ideally we just keep beating down such small armies to gain warscore for minimal price in prestige&piety spent on men. We roll Feint twice. NEAT!
aWbkHPA.jpg

First battle against token Khazar force

Meanwhile in capital, we take advantage of opportunity to slander Chief of Mari. It will exhaust that event pulse option making it more slightly more possible we get a chance, of digging some real dirt on him. Finnish wife gets pregnant. I won't say no to extra dynasty members to avoid previous issues.

Before end of year we have whole of Vladimir duchy fortified, so I move onto Khazar Tribal vassals south-west to increase our warscore. So far there was no major Khazarian opposition. At some point I also started construction of final cultural building in Perm. By sticking to maxing buildings in one tribe at the time not only do I maximize returns (extra holdings slots) but also improve both our retinues and mercenaries heavy infantry when Perm once again will be our capital.
ujgpZgZ.jpg

Our personal demense is slowly building up. Sadly it is the only place in our realm, as our vassals hardly built single building so far

Year 818
======================

Another year, another spying pulse but it is only arrest chance. As I was having technical issue and wasn't noting much I don't remember if I used it. There are heirs to tribe of Mari, so Sampo won't go to us. This in turn makes arresting our vassal not great. When it comes to our war effort we sit at 15% warscore against Khazars.

In February king's wound heals. I was waiting for it, just to be able to less paranoid about our character survival chances.

With start of spring I change our strategy: instead of starving every single tribe it's time to opt for assaulting. Those holdings have really low fortifications levels and we have plenty of troops to take minimal losses in most cases. Thus our warscore increases at higher pace to 31%. Our wife gives birth to boy - Dokya. Either I messed something up in notes or that was miracle 4-5 month pregnancy.

On the front we spotted main yellow horde (6100 enemies). They are coming back from Estonia towards Crimea. There is some manouvering to lure them, in which Permian Commanders succeed. They attack us on the Hills, which not only provides up to 30% defence bonuses to our troops but should also disable Swarm tactic for them. Which could really hurt us if they roll it, while we have Volley Tactic. We roll 3x Feint, enemy has mixed tactics. YET we still lose cause enemy no commander flank charged early into melee phase and crushed two of our flanks, while we only crushed one.
IMR9MYn.jpg

Ok. Maybe I went a little bit overconfident. Forgot that it isn't mu usual run with more military power. Also counted on less raiders and more tribal troops

After that reality check, our defeated warriors limp back all the way to Kostroma. Why? To avoid getting catched by Khazars again and losing even more troops. We need to reorganise and rethink approach to this war. By end of August we get 1400 event troops from our steward. That's certainly will help.

By end of your Warscore plummets and Khazars civil war ended resulting in them uniting! UGH!

Year 819
======================

I test my luck in trying to rush Khazars down, by racking more war score on soft tribal holdings. After some more manouvering we encounter Khazar army again - this time there is over 7000 of them. We lure them into another battle of our choosing. As our warriors march around land, we get somewhat uncommon Suomenusko related event: Peijaiset. I decide on extra prestige, sadly lacking either Greedy or Zealous traits for more interesting choices.
5kLG6wE.jpg

Religious related hunting event. Doesn't require focus or Warrior Lodge but sadly doesn't get more interactions with them

After last loss I did some analysis of terrain and turns out Zubtsov battlefield wasn't well picked. While it had Hills, it didn't have Suomenusko religion as it is located on border between our and Slavic faiths. Thus we missed on huge 80% defence modifier to get only +30% from terrain. I also concentrate most of our forces in center flank under our best commander.
xAzQawI.jpg

Come one! I can take everything you can dish out! Probably...

We try to rectify that and by July we have deciding battle. We roll nicely (2x Feint, 1x Generic) but even with river crossing penalty and our religion defensive bonus we got dunked on. I definetely miscalculated my own strenght - without usual really good commanders and more "meta" retinue composition, we can't mingle with nomads in melee range. Overall my numbers are also lacking. While dissapointing I quickly decide to sue for white piece before even battle reaches conclusion. Better to cut our losses short. Thus our liberation attempt fails.

Spying focus event pulse strikes again with arrest opportunity on chief of Mari. As we are now free and have troops close it is convenient to try incite rebelion of our vassal now. We commit to imprisoning decision and... succeed. As I overview my current situation it turns out to be better than I thought - substantial chunk of my army was already replenished after setting out for round 2 with yellow blob. But losing our army now could be disastrous.

Abu-Bakr (investor we failed to favor invite due to his wife) dies in November and we invite his fortunate to inherit son. It will be quite a while, before he dies as he isn't eligible to be Venerable Elder. Sarin makes him a Champion instead and the waiting beggins.
xAzQawI.jpg

Hello my new friend. Was a fan of your father. How about you spend rest of your life in our court as... Champion?

Rest of year till December is uneventful. During last month of year one of our dungeon cells empties - High Chief of Mari dies. Well that didn't take long. His Sampo went to one of his sons, so at least we are step closer to putting our greedy little hands on it sooner.

Year 820
======================

Celebration of 14th of February go well, as Sarin spouse is pregnant again. I don't even know what is that woman, as Sarin is chaste. I tell you, those Finnish women are steamy! We have successes outside of marriage as well. We manage to passively convert another Nenetsian tribe to our Komi traditions thanks to high stewardship.
FmV0gl5.jpg

Economic success translating into demographic success. Each tribe converted means slightly more troops and less revolt risk.

Interesting anomaly is reported to our court in March - Saxony converts to Iconoclast. As I couldn't believe it I checked and somehow thanks to one county exclave through some inheritance trickery, they became eligible. Haven't seen orthodox denomination so far west, so fast. It isn't bad choice as Iconoclasm offers high stability for europe currently ravaged by heresies at large. As it is our longterm objective to also convert - more friends won't hurt.

With change of seasons we participate in some minor dramas happening in court of chief of Mari. We manage to imprison it's ruler, who lands in oubliette. We also succesfully and lawfully imprisson High Chief of Yugra (and we are his heir). Can't complain about Spy focus for administering my realm structure.

For change of pace I check on Permian band in summer. They are still alive in their Caucasus conflicts. In July Perm construction of cultural building is finished. Now we are maxed there. It's high time to finally commit to ambition of increasing prosperity in realm. Delays are behind us, as we did most of important wars thus far. So 5 years of no wars is our next objective. Sarin tries to imprison heir to tribe of Mari (who was plotting against ruler in our captivity) but fail. It didn't pose threat of uprising as he is just a courtier. It was a chance to have both current Sampo holder and his heir in arrest. But sadly it failed and heir in question fled abroad. Thus there is little point of sticking to our current focus - I swap it for Business (trade ventures time!). Something fishy is going on as daughter is born in September (Vidyava) just after 7 months. You ok game?

Year 821
======================

Our beloved neighbours Bolgars arrive as always in Khlynow (1169 raiders), so I muster troops to beat them down.
xww5ujx.jpg

Seasonal "Catch nomad" competition.

By March we catch them and roll somewhat poorly (2x Shieldwall and 1x Feint but on our not killer flank). At least we are fighting in our lands. Enemies rolled even worse (Harass Swarm, Generic Skirmish, Swarm) so casualties are low. After routing center and right flank, we roll volley and feint. Didn't know about extra roll. Casualties ratio goes to 30:4 for us. By the end we kill 361 bolghars while losing 42 of our levy warrior. See you in several years again I guess.

April is great time for starting writting the book. The stewardship one (we are currently at Business, have Midas touched, Shrewd and over 20 Stewardship). One in six chances to get the best Quality 3 - here we go again. Troops with Lodge commanders start moving west to prepare for raiding. I also realise that we have heir to Galich Mersky Tribe located in Mari Duchy. I want to replace his brother anyway (wrong culture) so I look what can be done. Looking through options I decide to arrest him and object of Sarin teenage dream love - Razhava. Why her also? She did conspire against us and also seems to be close to other demon worshippers. Doesn't matter as both escape abroad. At least our righteous imprisonment list went from 4 to 2.
YXkPZeu.jpg

Attempt number 2 at writing. Please give us another great economy book.

In may I decide to keep upgrading Perm Tribe - this time 300 prestige goes toward Warcamps III (+40 Light Infantry Base). I also get notification about wife of interesting prisoner dying. Why is that Pecheneg interesting? Cause he has 363 gold and no Children (but sadly has some sibling). I'm willing to try and get his wealth for us. For that I will give him figt and release him hoping to quickly favour invite him.
XjR8IAB.jpg

From Prisoner to potential Venerable Elder. Power of money is real.

It isn't needed, as simple gift boosts his opinion enough, so I can use recruit option and so he became part of our court. Thus 3rd Venerable Elder is found before summer. His siblings have no gold - let's see if they will inherit instead of children.

In June some vassal dies and his duchy shatters between his children. I decide to held another Ukon Juhla festival (for prestige and prosperity in current not maxed capital west of Perm - Kudymkar tribe). Also I start going around Khazars towards Baltic sea.
YmUBmMi.jpg

Damn you nomad scum! Now I have to WALK AROUND :(

After concluding another festival (putting us at just -344 piety) our daughter gets sick. As I lack Court Physician this event decision help us. This concubine is more than adequate - Mastermind Theologian, Genius, Mystic with not bad opinion.
mXbkN3K.jpg

Finally some good health care. It even comes with "Mystic" service treatment potential.

Before end of year we continue marching safely and even without taking attrition losses!

Year 822
======================

New year goes with little hiccup - we marshed bigger part of our army onto local Lithuanian defenders. Unlucky for them we rolled 2x Feint and made quick work of defenders. I'm not interested in raiding them, as they are close to another big nomad realm - they serve us better by being independent as long as possible. Of importance - we notice 1st son of Mari High Chief (as he is plotting to remove his dad). Maybe we will be able to profit on that drama.
dyK10sg.jpg

Excuse us! We are just passing through

From February onward King Sarin is known as... "the Wicked". Seems our subject lack our taste and finesse for vengeance (after that I even released some poor sod of vassal from north-west Perm Ukko'dammit). Definetely should have just landed that vassal in oubliette.

By April our (almost) 8000 raiders are safely parked on Chelmno and Plock tribes. Both capitals of rulers with close to 800 gold between them! Sadly I'm still less than 200 lodge currency from leveling up. I try anyway - I can always try to siege them again as I will be going back. Chelmno is empty :<. Just around corner is more of renown - 50 from training someone and then mission that I skip (change to Carousing...)
lFFRc2v.jpg

Harvesting season begins. Maybe some more of those Polish lootboxes?

In May we get thunder event for our son Dokya. I take my chances and decide on last option to try and make him Wilful, which can lead to Ambitious but fail. He becomes timid instead. Well it was a coin flip to be fair. So it is what it is. Luckily his guardian is Gregarious, so it should count for intervention as far as I remember.

By summer Dobrzyn falls but is also empty. So is Polock. Damn I forgot how bad it is without Reaver passive. We move onto Gulf of Danzig next. Our old spymaster finally dies at 69 y.o. I replace her with Sochava, who is more skilled. And theeen I remind myself, that we had special greek from caravan, so Sochava is now replaced and angry. Maybe lower opinion will prevent us from extra kid. We also get minting coin event. This time I decide to spent gold. Why you ask? I can't risk getting Deceitful and Greedy at the same time, as it will leave our quite nice ruler at the mercy of rng when it comes to removing traits up to limit. And we succeed (+1 Stewardship - Aspiring Trader)
8mt6BsS.jpg

Minting some currency. Because we clearly have not enough >:-D

By August we get notification that someone steals from us. No one has any visible wealth from event so I think it is due to our rival Prussian steward that I keep hoping he generates gold through ambitious trait. Bytow tribe falls as well - still no prisoners.
APBHEeB.jpg

First time I see that. Not huge issue but I hope it doesn't lead to more prominent losses

By November both Slupsk and Szczecin tribes fall - no prisoners. I localise good targets in Lorainne and neighbourhood, but we still are close to year short of advancing in warrior lodge.

Year ends somewhat bizairre - King of Svibjod Ragnarr 'Lodbrok' managed to reform Germanic religion. Good job AI. That's quite early. I wonder, which tenents did they choose. Not sure how to check it. Nvm. I think I found it. It seems Autocephalous with Prepared Invasions.
bNgbpIm.jpg

Potential economic powerhouse in scandinavian IKEA?

Year 823
======================

So we can only enviably look across baltic from polish side and wonder if Germanic Ikea will prove to be competitor in our economic struggles. Our Warriors wait for Reaver passive on sieged holdings to avoid attrition. Having moment of break I look at Permian band. Not only did they survive battles in Caucasusian land (but their payer didn't and thus now Khazars border Abbasids and Byzzantines) but also managed to gather over 600 gold.

Before end of February another trade expedition starts. The reason for which, we moved capital to Kudymkar tribe. Time to start collecting those modifiers! I start with regular payment for our means of transport. Then our Warcamp finishes and we continue building it up towards last level.
cpkmJQc.jpg

Family tradition - you ain't man till you established new trade route

Quick calculation suggest that I have wait til summer to be able to start getting those prisoners more reliably from sacking. Our trade caravan arrives in Qocho near Tarim basin. As that ruler somewhat likes us (-7), I decide on only medium gift (+5).
F83CVq1.jpg

Advertisting Komi fashion in year 823 C.E. You know foreigners love it.

By May everything is in order and deal is struck. Quick summary of few clicks and usual decisions: +100 gold, +150 prestige, modifiers for Ruler (+2 Stewardship, +town opinion) and trade route modifier in Kudymkar for 30 years. Not much (but we also don't have high income) but still profitable. Now it is high time for some experiments.

Something I didn't tell you but noticed after last part - our trade modifiers are gone. I don't know why and when but they vanished and I'm certain it wasn't due to not paying their upkeep. I did study event file but my only idea is tied to "changing capital" somehow erasing all trade route modifiers. So I will test it now by changing back to Perm. Let's see if Kudymkar retains... And it did... Maybe it is upon death of ruler, that it gets cleaned? But then why did we retain Pil'va trade route previously? I'm confused. Does it have something in common with rulers death? Or was it regency?
AoZDyLi.jpg

Investigation into trade route modifiers vanishing in Perm and Pil'va tribes. It was not due to changing capitals

June arrives and we send petition for our advancement among Followers of Otso. We are eager to hug walls and make for cheering squads! We also start moving our raiders towards central europe. this time without any holy wars. We should be fine. First we have to move through Pomeranian troops. We make quick work of them by rolling twice feint and having 7:1 numbers advantage. Fight ends with close to 10:1 casualties ratio :). This is more to my liking. Good fighting to commemorate becoming Warrior!
71RJFbv.jpg

Attempt number two for entering german speaking Europe. Time to ramp those monetary gains.

By Autumn we get to decide how much will we sacrifice for book writing. Given our last bad experiences... (literally death rng) I decide to not raise quality. I don't want quality 4 and we have many good modifiers already. Other options doesn't lower quality in tooltip so let's try this. Before end of september we start siegeing down Wuzrburg and Bamberg. Cmon Reaver trait!
OACkBWI.jpg

Pneumonia PTSD. I trust you Mr. Tooltip.

Warrior lodge pulse triggers on drinking challenge - saying no is not an option so let's hope rng doesn't punish me heavily. We somehow win drinking contest and don't get Drunkard trait! Big win in my book. Bamberg is empty so we move onto Nurnberg.

Year 824
======================

Another year, meaning only year and half till we finish "seeing the realm prosper" ambition. Also good thing that I checked how is Permian band doing - they just got hired by Duke of Alsace, which is relatively close. It would be a disaster if I myself would wipe out my own mercenary band! This is also fortunous as it means that at least so far, our mercs can work. Previously I was somewhat paranoid that, we didn't had range for them as maybe our capital was too far.
jw3gX7w.jpg

So our boys from Permian band are good enough for central europe huh? At least we won't massacre are our troops

Bad spell is broken and we "harvest" 8 prisoners and "+2 Axe" from Nurnberg. Raiders move from Nurnberg onto Ulm county. I don't siege down cities and bishophrics as they lack gold for ransoms. Decision to hire armorsmith is used, cause without that artifact slot on us we are lacking some prestige gain. Wurzburg falls and with it 10 prisoners! That's close to 600 gold in ransoms between those 2 pillagings. And our Finnish wife is pregnant again. Love is certainly in the air. One would even say: wúnderbar. Let's hope for some genetically gifted offspring!

Our Mercenaries finished working in Alsace, just as we move closer towards it and went to Lombardy revolter to support quite the character. Just look. Also she has twelve times her liege troops. Seems our boys will be on roll.
mp4r0aJ.jpg

Lombardian Warrior-Nun. First king rank contractor for our mercs. Give them hell boyz!

By May we have our armorsmith - mixed bag. 15 stewardship, diligent, fortune builder but also decetiful and arbitrary :/. He might run with money. We order high quality anyway (for 180 gold).
rX9vXI3.jpg

Given that we don't use that Personal Combat Skill and Morale Offense this is quite costly for just prestige and Martial

During summer High Chief Chipaz "the Merry" (murderer of our sister) dies and is succedded by... High Chief Chipaz II of Votyaki (how original - I wonder if we can expect him to behave the same way as he still will remember our torture of his father for next 100 years... oh boy...).

Our craftsmen finishes comissioned armor in August and it turns out to be mediocre (Q2). Still it gives +0.5 prestige which is more that I thought. Meanwhile in Perm siberian nomads are looting our vassals. They don't have enough troops to siege down our demense so we ignore it.
AREgHPu.jpg

I won't move back raiders in central europe to deal with pillaging of my not-Komi vassals in Siberia. Maybe I should create border guard retinue?

Wife gives birth by end of September to twins: girl Ashava and boy Vechkas. Now we are more safe that in any other moment during this playthrough: we have heir and spare! Sadly no "smart genes". I also decide to start construction of IV level of Practise Range in Kudymkar given both long building times and surplus of prestige.
CaOUxjf.jpg

Spending some of excess prestige to save on build time. Also more archers makes our army considerably stronger due to Feint tactic.

By November we get marriage offer for our half-brother from King of Franconia. While our warriors "kicking asses and taking names" makes me happy there are few problems with accepting that Slavic King offer. He has quite some troops (2500) but he is potential raiding prospect. Also don't want to help him unite central europe. So no!
ot8wX1X.jpg

Central Europe finally is introduced to our business model :)

Winter of 824 ends with taking over Trier and Basel castles for 8 prisoners but not big ransoms. With that this part comes to end, with our Permian band returning from Lombardy ruled by their previous contractor, now Queen Desiderata of Lombardy :).

//P.S: Return after break longer that expected. This part would be, a week ago but my streaming service keep disconnecting every in game month (thus scarcely narrated first few years). Then writing this part after playing it over 2 weeks was also challenge and had to keep booting game to investigate: "what the hell was going on" with regard to screenshots without notes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well, Perm is expanding. Also, who cares if others call you the Wicked? They're just jealous of your successful and prosperous realm while they're stuck in horrible poverty!

An Iconoclast Saxony is weird. How much do the Germanics hate them?

Will you consider converting to the Germanic Faith if the Christians do poorly?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, Perm is expanding. Also, who cares if others call you the Wicked? They're just jealous of your successful and prosperous realm while they're stuck in horrible poverty!

An Iconoclast Saxony is weird. How much do the Germanics hate them?

Will you consider converting to the Germanic Faith if the Christians do poorly?
Saxony is doing so well that it almost doesn't include anything in de jure Saxony, but has big chunk of Holstein and Toulousse. Is also fully occupied by Germanic adventuring host but they have must won the battle as they are out of troops, while Saxons have over 4 thousand troops. Maybe they will survive. But they are encircled between germanics to the north and west and slavic to east and south. Also noticed that France is regularly doted throughout western europe. RIP Karlings I guess.

Germanic religion still doesn't have access to monastic orders and Jewish technology events, so it won't work longterm. I won't utilize Prepared Invasion, as they are unusable against nomads, so it would mostly be due to more raiding events but worse Warrior Lodge traits for our location. It might be an option for raiding, but only temporarily.

Reactions: