• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SrCalabazeen

Private
42 Badges
May 7, 2019
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
20201125153451_1.jpg

I'm playing as England and I'm looking to complete all british missions. I've managed to get personal unions with Castille and France. The thing is Castille is not going to colonize and Gibraltar and Malta belong to Castille. Is it worth to annex Castille to complete the acquire Gibraltar and Malta missions? Or is it just way more useful as a subjet. Thanks!

You can revoke a province from you subjects, for a heavy opinion penalty
You cannot seize land from your Personal Unions. If you wish to own Gibraltar/Malta personally for the mission tree (and the achievement I presume), you would need to fully integrate Castille.

But if Castille is not colonizing should I keep it as a subject?
Having Castille without exploration ideas as a PU should mostly help in that they'll hold all Iberian culture lands without any penalties, and that they'll provide a substantial army on the mainland. However, since you also have France in a PU, you could probably make do with integrating Castille (although waiting until you inherit them is ideal, that depends on luck). Judging from the timeline though, you probably don't have too many culture slots left, and aren't an Empire yet. Do note that all of the Castillian lands once you integrate them will thus have +2 unrest, -33% manpower and -33% tax from unaccepted culture (along with any further modifiers from intolerance if you're not Catholic).

Considering how you've got Castille in a PU pretty early though (Before 1458 at least), I'd say that keeping them around for a fair whiles might be better. You get to stack trust which lowers liberty desire, meaning you can feed them more Iberian land.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would keep them around. Integrate them later, using improved administrative efficiency, plus the policy from both administrative and influence ideas. Castile not colonizing is actually great for you, assuming you plan on colonizing with Great Britain. That is going to be a lot less competition in the ivory coast, allowing you to move more trade from Asia to the English Channel. So there is less rush to integrate, not more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Castile gets a colonist from their national ideas. They wont take exploration as a subject, but use their colonist. This - I believe - leads to them unlocking the requirements for AI taking expansion ideas at some point, giving them additional colonists. So as far as i know, they should get some decent colonies at some point; just very delayed. At least this was the outcome for me in my last france campaign with an early PU on Castile.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: