• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haven't tried the game without the DLCs, but I'd imagine they're more-or-less necessary for the "proper" experience.

Back then, the expansions also included the bug fixes, so yes, you need the two expansions. That will give you an almost complete game. :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Really?

What did you modificate? If I may be so bold as to inquire

Really?

What did you modificate? If I may be so bold as to inquire

Here is my topic

In short, I optimized the game in many terms of religious conversion and cultural / national assimilation, optimized colonial migration, all its done, work perfect and now I will start foreign migration, which will be the closure of the first stage of modification.

Probably just before the start of my first campaign, I will slightly optimize the technology tree and reforms, but I do not want to introduce too big changes without starting the campaign, then I will probably spend more time on the game itself and any corrections, so you will have to wait for a bigger modification, and in a moment the Victoria 3 will be on sale... I supouse I will start work on modifications from first days I will buy V3, its better work than writting or talking about plans :oops: I wish Im new on this series becouse I saw many people from 2010 looking for good modification to V2 and I know how make gameplay much better, I have this game from 5 days ! and now I have something that many players looking for in last 10 years I hope.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
V2 is quite playable without the expansions, but most of the mods require them, and they do add a lot to the experience. I played the game for several years without them. Serious issues corrected by the expansions include over-valuation of certain factory types, particularly Luxury clothing and furniture. Since France has some domestic Silk production, it absolutely dominates the industrial score. The expansions changed that so that industrial score depends primarily on the number of people employed in your factories, not which factories they work in.

The most important features, however, are the small QOL changes to the menus and displays, which make it a lot easier to see and figure out what's happening, although it's still pretty cryptic at times. [ Edit - There are still a few issues even with the expansions, such as most countries in SE Asia and South America having no local access to fish (Seriously? Brazil, Argentina, and Peru can't fish?), and not enough on the world market after the first decade or two, causing ALL their pops to fail to meet even their basic needs. ]

Since V3 seems to be going off in a somewhat different direction, I'm assuming that V2 will remain a viable purchase for a while longer, despite its age.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There are two main things that come to mind with Heart of Darkness for me, relative to A House Divided (I never played with only Vanilla).

One is the international crisis system. This is a marquee feature diplomatically. The Poles are hankering for independence? Or maybe the Greeks? It can draw the Great Powers into a diplomatic, and potentially military, conflict. Stakes are high. You might wind up on opposite sides from your allies, which could end up quite poorly for you. Or you could prevail in the crisis and gain prestige at the expense of your enemies. Or you could try to keep a Bismarckian balance of power, keeping the powder keg of Europe dry. It's a great feature.

The other is that barrels have been renamed to tanks. I suspect that "barrel" originated from a mistranslation from Swedish into English, I have yet to find English sources from the early 1900s calling tanks "barrels". But even while I appreciate knowing what I'm building, sometimes I miss the unique old name.

Having played Heart of Darkness, I can't go back. Though Kovax is correct in that it's playable without the latest expansion. Ultimately, though, if you've played other Paradox games and want to try Vicky II, pick it up with the expansions, there aren't 43 of them like for EU4 so they're affordable. If you're looking for a cheap game to get into Paradox games for the first time, wait for an EU4 sale and buy that instead. Or play CKII for free.

Supposedly, the name "tank" comes from a government misdirection attempt. In an effort to hide the development and early production of the new machines from enemy spies, it's been said that they were referred to as "tanks", as in "storage tanks", which the early hull designs somewhat resembled, rather than as "armored tractors" or some other appropriate term. The intentionally misleading name stuck. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the claim.

Reactions:
Supposedly, the name "tank" comes from a government misdirection attempt. In an effort to hide the development and early production of the new machines from enemy spies, it's been said that they were referred to as "tanks", as in "storage tanks", which the early hull designs somewhat resembled, rather than as "armored tractors" or some other appropriate term. The intentionally misleading name stuck. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the claim.
Pretty much correct:
On 24 December 1915, a meeting took place of the Inter-Departmental Conference (including representatives of the Director of Naval Construction's Committee, the Admiralty, the Ministry of Munitions, and the War Office). Its purpose was to discuss the progress of the plans for what were described as "Caterpillar Machine Gun Destroyers or Land Cruisers." In his autobiography, Albert Gerald Stern (Secretary to the Landship Committee, later head of the Mechanical Warfare Supply Department) says that at that meeting "Mr. (Thomas J.) Macnamara (M.P., and Parliamentary and Financial Secretary to the Admiralty) then suggested, for secrecy's sake, to change the title of the Landship Committee. Mr. d'Eyncourt agreed that it was very desirable to retain secrecy by all means, and proposed to refer to the vessel as a "Water Carrier". In Government offices, committees and departments are always known by their initials. For this reason I, as Secretary, considered the proposed title totally unsuitable.[a] In our search for a synonymous term, we changed the word "Water Carrier" to "Tank," and became the "Tank Supply" or "T.S." Committee. That is how these weapons came to be called Tanks," and incorrectly added, "and the name has now been adopted by all countries in the world."[4]

"...and the name has now been adopted by all countries in the world."

Yes, incorrectly, since there are a few exceptions, such as Germany (panzer) and Hungary (harckocsi).

I wonder, if the Land Cruiser name had been used, would that eventually have been sub-divided, as they developed into light, medium and heavy models, into Land Destroyers, Land Cruisers, and Land Battleships?

Yes, incorrectly, since there are a few exceptions, such as Germany (panzer)
The book cited is from 1919. The term "Panzer" was only established in the 1930s ;)
Before that also Germans called them "Tank" (albeit in the German pronunciation that would rhyme on the english word "trunk").

/edit:
I wonder, if the Land Cruiser name had been used, would that eventually have been sub-divided, as they developed into light, medium and heavy models, into Land Destroyers, Land Cruisers, and Land Battleships?
On that regard I could only find German sources:
Die schweren Panzer bzw. nicht realisierte Panzerprojekte wurden in der Anfangszeit des Panzerbaus auch Landkreuzer oder Landschlachtschiffe genannt.[5][6]
-> The heavy tanks and not realized tank projects in the pioneering phase of tank construction were sometimes called "land cruiser" or "land battleships".

But we are talking Germany here - which basically means megalomanic Hitler who was quoted by Ferdinand Porsche in Spiegel:
»Nichts könnte ein Land-Schlachtschiff dieser Größe und Kraft aufhalten.«
"Nothing could stop a land battleship of that size and power" (talking about the tank "Maus" in the conception phase)

Last edited:
Victoria 2 with all dlc is superior to vic 3 atm

• 1Like
Reactions:
You totally should buy Victoria 2 with DLCs and then get a solid mod for it and enjoy the gaming experience.