Ships should provide anti-piracy protection in the same way as starbase upgrades to, without need to move back and forth.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mik1984

Major
38 Badges
Aug 4, 2005
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
The patrolling mechanic is tedious and doesn't work well for later phases of the game. I understand why would implement it, you want to have the "lively" image of a galaxy with ships moving back and forth and patrolling seems logical. But in the practical aspect of the game, it just doesn't work well. Managing an empire with dozens of trade routes and assigning corvettes to move on routes here and there is just clunky and tedious.

Instead, ships should provide trade protection the same way starbase improvements provide trade protection, they project protection into neighboring systems. All they have to do is to either orbit the star, in a starless system, or the starbase, if you have one. The range at which they spread their protection is up to debate and should be adjusted to provide the appropriate balance in the game.

PS:

Alternative solution I can think about is to have a mechanic of assigning ships to police duties on a given trade route. It works like this, you choose a trade route on the trade route screen and you assign a ship to police duties. The ship disapears from the form the map and it has a "arrival time" once it arrives, it appears on the trade screen next to a given trade route as a token. From there it can be recalled from "police duties", which will cause the ship to reappear on the map after some time. Therefore the entire patrolling thing is converted to a hidden, behind the screen mechanic managed from the trade screen rather than a swarm of corvettes that you need to manage around manually.

Last edited:
Instead, ships should provide trade protection the same way starbase improvements provide trade protection, they project protection into neighboring systems. All they have to do is to either orbit the star, in a starless system, or the starbase, if you have one. The range at which they spread their protection is up to debate and should be adjusted to provide the appropriate balance in the game.
If you add defense platforms to a Starbase, they currently add Trade proteciton on the entire Starbase Protection Range (Systems with Starbases themself can no spawn pirates, ever).
So maybe just a question of parking them there?

If you add defense platforms to a Starbase, they currently add Trade proteciton on the entire Starbase Protection Range (Systems with Starbases themself can no spawn pirates, ever).
So maybe just a question of parking them there?
Its a good idea, but two things:

1. I want ships to be able to park even in a neutral system or a system controlled by any other open borders entity your trade route passes through and spread protection from there.
2. Adding 10+ protection on 7 hops by a single corvette might be a little overpowered. It would be useful if the range and strength of protection does not depend on where the fleet is parked.

2. Adding 10+ protection on 7 hops by a single corvette might be a little overpowered. It would be useful if the range and strength of protection does not depend on where the fleet is parked.
You are right. I forgot the Defense platforms are still limtied, so there is a cap on how much Trade Protection they can add.
So what if they only allow 1 Fleet Capacity per Defense Platform Capacity avalible?
Basically a fleet could no more then double the protection provided by platforms.

1. I want ships to be able to park even in a neutral system or a system controlled by any other open borders entity your trade route passes through and spread protection from there.
The current System does allow that already.
I really wish pathfinding would be better to avoid neutral space and the AI would build some protection Stations, even if the pirates are not from themself.

Yeah, but they don't spread protection, they have to move back and forth through systems, as they only protect the system they are currently in. That is the issue, and I want to get rid of the need for this tedious swarm of patrolling corvettes.
I think I had a idea for the range of the fleet protection:
Fleet Sensor range, maybe capped by STL and FTL components.
This is how far the Fleet can go whith quick response times.

Of coruse one the simplest options would just to say "allocate X Naval Capacity to Trade protection". That way we could just use excess naval capacity for diffuse police forces.

I think I had a idea for the range of the fleet protection:
Fleet Sensor range, maybe capped by STL and FTL components.
This is how far the Fleet can go whith quick response times.

Of coruse one the simplest options would just to say "allocate X Naval Capacity to Trade protection". That way we could just use excess naval capacity for diffuse police forces.

Both are good ideas, ether a static system. Additional requirement of the static system, is that the fleet must remain idle for 30 days before it starts projecting trade protection. This is to kill the exploit where it is still worth to move fleets around in order to get even better results.

The alternative solution is some kind of a hidden behind the scenes system, options are plenty, but basically you select ships you want to devote to it, and trade protection happens behind the screen.

Reactions:
Both are good ideas, ether a static system. Additional requirement of the static system, is that the fleet must remain idle for 30 days before it starts projecting trade protection. This is to kill the exploit where it is still worth to move fleets around in order to get even better results.

The alternative solution is some kind of a hidden behind the scenes system, options are plenty, but basically you select ships you want to devote to it, and trade protection happens behind the screen.
I think they should tie It into the crew quarters module, here is a building specifically for free fleet parking It makes sense that it could provide that additional benefit.

I think devs should implement behind the scenes idea for trade leauge, instead of building up a large federation fleet they apply trade protection to trade routes so you don't have to make your ships patrol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think they should tie It into the crew quarters module, here is a building specifically for free fleet parking It makes sense that it could provide that additional benefit.

I think devs should implement behind the scenes idea for trade leauge, instead of building up a large federation fleet they apply trade protection to trade routes so you don't have to make your ships patrol.
Kinda already covered by the Galactic Community.
Galactic Commerce Line.
Level 2+3 has -10% Naval Cap, +10 Trade Protection
Level 4+5 has -15%/+25

I was thinking more about one for your empire personally. Unused Naval cap being used to add Trade protection to all Systems/those systems with the worst pirace issues.

This would require further rebalancing.

As long as you replace the moving back and forth mechanic with just projecting protection by idle fleets, it is going to make life easier for many people.