• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
AFAIK, there's no theological problem between Sunni and Shi'ite. So my guess is, the dichotomy between Sunni and Shiite in EU are probably there to simulate the rivalry between Ottoman and Safavid. Because as far as history is concerned, the relation between Sunni and Shiite is always harmonius. Because there is no theological differences between those two groups. The only difference is, while the Sunni recognize the authority of the Caliph in Baghdad (and Ottoman sultans later on), the Shiite look up to their own Imam (whom they consider as the successors of Ali), not the Caliph. So it's suffice to say that the difference between them is political not theological.

The way I understand it up untill the safavids there was no contradiction between honouring the imams and still being considered a sunni muslim in this area. The safavids did gather all shiites to their banner and reformed the religion into a much more unified and anti-everyone else kind of creed (practically making their rulers demi-gods in the process atleast initially).

Persias lack of religious allies is warranted. Before them an argument could be made for not using the religion at all however (as I stated above honouring the imams didn't necesarilly mean you even considered yourself an outright Shiite in those days).
As for reasons for the Persians and ottomans to fight: Well with the Persian capital initially at Tabriz in Azerbaijan the Persians are going to be plenty threatened by the turks just from the danger of occupation?
Also initially the Ottomans where not happy with Quizilbach in their own country moving to Persia and becoming part of the religion-driven turkmen military force as a result of the freedom lost to Ottoman centralisation reforms (supposedly they even moved a large division of Quizilbash tribesmen to Greece forcibly to avoid this).

Been reading up a lot on the period lately as I'm making an asian mod for eu3 (though I've mostly been doing India up untill recently and I still haven't gotten a lot of books on Persia).

Last edited: