• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If elder also means older, i'd start from the actual Phoenix, and would make him either lighter, even more ethereal (but this is difficult), or darker, with less flame effect, more solid, golden/red/brown parts, as if it begins to materialize more.
For now, I prefer option 3.

On another topic, I'm currently playing a SE warlord, and my class units look like derived from the High Elves (it's only natural), while my non-class units are full of exotic light and model effects, sometimes I feel they are too many or too much. Also empire colors could sometimes be more preent (I'm thinking about the Stormpriest's high collar, that is always purple). Is it scheduled to have a "homogeneization" pass, or it won't happen because they are gifted models and the authors are no more active?
For instance, what would it cost to soften the striking "levitating" effect on the Night Guard by blurring his "legs" with a cloud of shadow?

By the way, a few hair colors for Shadow Elves have been left in the leader generation, and they look far too saturated.

Would you be interested in a few custom Shadow Elf leaders for the expansion. I believe they could complement the existing set with their class/gender/specs combination.

I have been altering some texture lately. Started to reskin texture on models in another mod I'm working on. So attempting to try something for these also and discuss the result. I will improve and return with more results later.

By the way, a few hair colors for Shadow Elves have been left in the leader generation, and they look far too saturated.

Would you be interested in a few custom Shadow Elf leaders for the expansion. I believe they could complement the existing set with their class/gender/specs combination.

So far no new hair had been added yet to my knowledge. Its still the good ol High elf hair going on.

How many new leaders do you want to add?

There are three or four fluo pink/green/purple hair, currently.

1) Female necromancer with Air + Empire Builder + Partisan
She's certainly one of Meandor's students.
aow3_seLeader_manawe.jpeg

2) Female sorcerer with Fire + Fire + Water
An ancient Dark Elf, or second generation, she studied how to alleviate SE vulnerability to fire, and failed. As a consequence, she's the only Fire Master among the Shadow Elves.
aow3_se_vorine2.jpeg

3) Male warlord with Creation + Destruction + Grey Guard
He should be an ancient Wood Elf, or a second generation, who managed to accept his shadow part.
If the later, he was only a captain among many, and Meandor slowly learned to trust him, eventually making him the chief of his guard.
If technically, new specs are unknown to Shadow Elves, let's say that his own Mending process led him on this path, and made him rather efficient against Shadow Demons.
aow3_seLeader_ulviron.jpeg

I'm still testing them.

Last edited:
Im aware of thoose. They are just color set on the default color codes. The intention of mine was to add more "Shadowelf colors" and keep the best ones from high elves section. I think I never had the time to finish them

Model - Exterminators' sword should be red (full of blood, see their description)

If this is the case, I could add this kind of texture to a normal standard Elven Sword. In case it's interesting to change it, I could update the model with this sword.
20200215124217_1.jpg

1) Female necromancer with Air + Empire Builder + Partisan
She's certainly one of Meandor's students.
View attachment 544127

2) Female sorcerer with Fire + Fire + Water
An ancient Dark Elf, or second generation, she studied how to alleviate SE vulnerability to fire, and failed. As a consequence, she's the only Fire Master among the Shadow Elves.
View attachment 544128

3) Male warlord with Creation + Destruction + Grey Guard
He should be an ancient Wood Elf, or a second generation, who managed to accept his shadow part.
If the later, he was only a captain among many, and Meandor slowly learned to trust him, eventually making him the chief of his guard.
If technically, new specs are unknown to Shadow Elves, let's say that his own Mending process led him on this path, and made him rather efficient against Shadow Demons.
View attachment 544139

I'm still testing them.

In general for Dark Elves compared to Wood Elves. Werlac and Saridas had the destruction specialization in prior to their Dark Elves heritage. I would consider at least good vs evil to impact more. Perhaps peace adept is more interesting on a Wood Elf.

In next build of the mod new hair colours will be available for the Shadow Elves upto 17 where green to dark green will be possible along with darkest blue. Then coupled with the best ones from Elf rooster

Last edited:
If this is the case, I could add this kind of texture to a normal standard Elven Sword. In case it's interesting to change it, I could update the model with this sword.
This model would be perfect for Dark Elves in AoW2 (perhaps the hand guard could be more dull or silver (not gilded), instead of red). As for Shadow Realm, what refrains me is just that I wonder about the Shadow powers that imbue either Shadow Elf weapons or their wielders. Should they be graphically rendered? How could they be rendered?

Do you plan on altering the model of the Night Guard's scythe? Given the iddle animation, I'd rather have a polearm with one Elven blade on each tip.

This model would be perfect for Dark Elves in AoW2 (perhaps the hand guard could be more dull or silver (not gilded), instead of red). As for Shadow Realm, what refrains me is just that I wonder about the Shadow powers that imbue either Shadow Elf weapons or their wielders. Should they be graphically rendered? How could they be rendered?

Do you plan on altering the model of the Night Guard's scythe? Given the iddle animation, I'd rather have a polearm with one Elven blade on each tip.

I can look at it and see what I can do with it. I have not heard anything about. Currently I look at models and recolour texture similiar how the creator of chivaliours intentention made all his new units. Its not difficult, but can result in some new variation of the same model.

This makes me think... Can you, do you plan to, is it reasonable to have varied figures in the same unit, like modded animated corpses and the work by a forumer I don't remember? (ivanko?, the guy that reworked pieces of armor and weapons)

This makes me think... Can you, do you plan to, is it reasonable to have varied figures in the same unit, like modded animated corpses and the work by a forumer I don't remember? (ivanko?, the guy that reworked pieces of armor and weapons)

If it's reasonable? Depends on "how" different the unit can become out of changing just the texture. As I noticed, just colouring weapons and armour can totally make the unit became something else. I would say that animals and monsters are probably the most flexible along with buildings. To look at a case study the snow serpent in the mod tutorial is a good example of how recolouring can change a unit into something else. For Humans and Elves, doable to make them black, yellow, darker, white or anything.

Here is an example of a great Eagle can become a Roq. Not necessarily hard, but it requires some itchy painting abilities. However, I decided to take on other things when I feel little uninspired from the campaign creations.

Try.jpg

Are there any plans for Shadow Elf "accessory" mods like a civic diversity add on, a Racial Heritage add on, so and so, so they can have more units and buildings like the other races?

I believe this should be up to those mods' authors to extend their work to this faction. However, I take the opportunity to mention Racial Watchtower, a mod that is already included in PBEM & SP Balance mod, that is required by Shadow Realm. Also, I'm personally waiting for a compatibility patch for Fortress Addition Addendum mod and Ballista mod. These mods should require less work than those you mention.

In short, I'm with you to beg modders to take notice of the new Shadow Elf faction. Even if the Shadow Realm campaign is... a campaign, the faction it supports grows always more and more balanced and interesting, so that the Shadow Realm RMG should meet a deserved success.

Perhaps, when the campaign is released, the Shadow Realm team could release a modding pack to ease the inclusion of RMG and Shadow Elf content in existing and future mods.

So I've had a short taste of the Shadow Elves and the rest of the mod, and I have some questions. 1. Given the focus on shock damage, wouldn't it make sense for Shadow Elves to have some kind of shock resistance? 2. Given the propensity of Elementals in the Shadow Realm, shouldn't some units have Elemental Slayer? 3. What are the best Classes for Shadow Elves? 4. Is there some way to disable autumn and tundra? They dominate the map and I'm really not a fan of that or the random underground terrain on the surface.

Regarding shock protection - the general idea is that the high base resistance is sufficient to make them fairly resistant against any nonphysical damage channel that they don't have a specific weakness against. Adding shock protection on top as a general thing would be overkill.

As for Autumn and Tundra climates, one issue is that they don't have a slider in the game settings (not a possible a thing). Someone said that for RMG settings, you have to put all climate sliders at max so that the two new climates are equiprobable with vanilla ones.
The other issue is that their effect on units' morale is not clear (do they really act as Temperate or Arctic?). At least, tooltips for factions are not updated in the original Decodence mod.

Is there a reason why adding Heart of the Shadows to the builder (a la League of the Extraordinary Builders) doesn't work? I also noticed that I can't seem to change nodes with node changing spells in the Shadow Realm.