• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Dr_K : I updated ShadowElves_Lords.xml and ShadowRealm.xml with French localization. I added two new '_FR' files actually, but if a quick test proves they are functional* (just start a random scenario with Shadow Elves in French), you can remove the '_FR' characters and replace the last versions with them. I won't be able to complete the ShadowCampaign.xml file for tonight, so no need to wait for it. It will be ready for next version, or in the meanwhile.

This plagues me ever since I joined the Balance mod project: I open and save those files under Linux, and I proved my inhability to manage EoL characters with LibreOffice. So I have to reopen and resave the files with OpenOffice.org under an old Windows OS, while deleting formatting, sometimes moving whole pages in the spreadsheet to both get rid of those characters and present you guys with files AoW3 under Windows, and Excel, can handle (I get no problem to run the game under Steam OS with files saved with LibreOffice as Excel 2003 xml, though).

It was really pleasant to translate the descriptive texts for units and the campaign.

Feedback eagerly looked after.

@Refineus : I came to realise that I havent played the official campaign, yet it contains some information in French. As far as ShawRealm.xml is concerned, here what I found (vanilla localization):

Shadow Realm -> Ombremonde (a fantasy construct based on Anglo-Saxon compound names' formation, or the Latine "Ultramundus", here "Shadowsworld"
Shadow Gate -> Porte d'Ombre
Shadow Demon -> Démon de l'Ombre

So to keep consistency with these choices (I won't change them in my upcoming "Better French localization"), I decided to have "Shadow" (Ombre) capitalized in french whenever it refers to the strange, elemental, consubstantial aspect of Shadow Realm.

What about opening a new thread about localization choices about Shadow Elves, Shadow Realm, and the Shadow Campaign, instead of posting here?

@Dr_K : I updated ShadowElves_Lords.xml and ShadowRealm.xml with French localization. I added two new '_FR' files actually, but if a quick test proves they are functional* (just start a random scenario with Shadow Elves in French), you can remove the '_FR' characters and replace the last versions with them. I won't be able to complete the ShadowCampaign.xml file for tonight, so no need to wait for it. It will be ready for next version, or in the meanwhile.

I'll do some testing tonight, and probably hold the update until Thursday to sort out the localization file. I can fix the line endings if they are causing issues.

This plagues me ever since I joined the Balance mod project: I open and save those files under Linux, and I proved my inhability to manage EoL characters with LibreOffice. So I have to reopen and resave the files with OpenOffice.org under an old Windows OS, while deleting formatting, sometimes moving whole pages in the spreadsheet to both get rid of those characters and present you guys with files AoW3 under Windows, and Excel, can handle (I get no problem to run the game under Steam OS with files saved with LibreOffice as Excel 2003 xml, though).

That is unfortunate. I usually keep things relatively partitioned so that I don't need to move files between Linux and Windows too often :)

I don't know; never player it, neither in French nor English. But thanks for the question anyways, as I've always thought Shadow Magic came with an included French localization. I just found a FR patch and I downloaded it. I will peer at the hex files in the next hour. Perhaps, I will find Shadow Demon units as well.
[EDIT]Nevermind, it's another executable compressed package. If nobody owns Shadow Magic and applies this patch, we are left to guess our own translations.[/EDIT]

Do you have a link to the patch? I can try to get it running with the game to see if it's useful.

Syron sites are still in the xml files (perhaps they are deactivated in the other files, and that's enough)

I'm always hesitant to remove entries from the xml file because it's tough to figure out where it's used since there have been cases where multiple people were creating new entries when placeholder ones already existed. We haven' been particularly good about keeping the xml file clean, unfortunately. I'll probably rip them out properly before pushing this update since those are safer than some others.

Forgotten Thrones: who is the Wizard King? Is he the seventh mage, aka Tempest? (because if not, his throne is lacking)

The Wizard King is Inioch (Julia's father). He shows up in the earlier games. The classic image of him on his throne.

From_Introduction_Elven_king_Iniochs_throne.jpg

Reporting here to say I've had same issues as Rodmar when it comes to translating titles of some SE characters.
"Embracer" isn't really a common concept in Russian, and "of the Imperial" creates a long-winded description in RU if I want to get the English version intent right, so I had to simplify both of those.
Also, Dr_K, my latest update to ShadowRealm.xml might have reverted your changes; please see if it's still working, and if not, add them back again.
The reason for this is I've made significant improvements to English descriptions in 13 Sep update, but our German translator used an older version of the xml, thus we lost progress. I had to manually restore my version through Dropbox and add lines that were translated to German into the recreated file, and I didn't have enough patience to check for your edits after getting really worked up about losing a chunk of texts I've been working on for a month.
I do have an idea regarding translation efforts: we need to have a "Stable" version of the mod xml files (which is the one that's going to be released on Steam soon) in the Dropbox folder, and an "Under development" one that lets translators work freely on their translations. Then you can just run side-by-side comparisons in the xml files and compile them into a single one. Probably a bit clunky, but that'll let us avoid issues like the one I've had.
Regarding RU version of the Campaign.xml: I'm waiting on the team to say that the SE campaign is finished and the fluff texts are fully done in English, then I'll start working on the translation.

Last edited:
In French, I translated "Grevara of the Imperial" as "Grevara the Imperial" (rather meaning "belonging to the Empire/imperial ranks)
Did I say that I used the files that I found in the Dropbox yesterday in late afternoon?

@Dr_K: There's a patch here for AoW2: Shadow Magic
Ha yes, there's a Shrine to the Wizard King too, in vanilla game. I'll look at AoW2:WT to see how it translates. Moreover, it seems that the Vanilla shrines copy the new Thrones, mage for mage, except but in one case:
Shrine to the Guardian Angel vs Forgotten Throne of Nekron.

Some last, small issues:

1. The "Shadow Elf" ability's tooltip was shortened, lately (no short background text anymore), as opposed to any other faction's tooltip. I understand the visual issue though, as in tactical mode in French, it amounts to 15 lines, as compared to 9 lines for Orcs, 8 for Tigrans and Goblins, 5 for Draconians, and 6 lines for each other factions.
  2. In the Shadow Elf tooltip, qualitative phrasings are used, like "laboratories cost less", etc. why not using icons and numerical values? Like "-10% [population/] / [deadpopulation/]" and "-50 % [gold/] / [mana/]".
  3. Would it be possible to add a [bulletList] in the tooltip for SE Touched's tooltip to precise the units he can evolve into? I believe we have it for some other evolving units (not for all, sadly).
  4. SE Heroes: Centro and Sephyra, at least, are displayed on their feet instead of mounted on raptors (when they don't have any mount). While I prefer this display because I can see better their outfit, it would be more consistent to have them displayed the same way as the other heroes, if possible.
  5. A loading hint could be added (when SR is active), introducing Shadow Sickness, Vulnerable to Shadow Sickness, and Shadow Walker.
Code:
With the opening of the Shadow Gate, most units are affected by the strange nature of the Shadow Realm whenever they set foot in it. This Shadow Sickness isn't contracted by machines, undead, planar travellers, and those who have dragon blood, however.

Last edited:
Regarding RU version of the Campaign.xml: I'm waiting on the team to say that the SE campaign is finished and the fluff texts are fully done in English, then I'll start working on the translation.

I will most likely lock the progress and consider the campaigns as finished in the middle of next month. The content has been finished and lots of text in needs an overview. Some of the scenarios also needs an overview and also need both briefing and description. I already released another campaign on steam with 6 scenarios and I have work already over my ears. But I keep support open for this campaign.

SE Heroes: Centro and Sephyra, at least, are displayed on their feet instead of mounted on raptors (when they don't have any mount). While I prefer this display because I can see better their outfit, it would be more consistent to have them displayed the same way as the other heroes, if possible.

I will look into to these later today

What about opening a new thread about localization choices about Shadow Elves, Shadow Realm, and the Shadow Campaign, instead of posting here?

Hmm probably, currently the various draft document in use for the campaign text files are quite heavy on content and maybe largest has 15 thousands of words. I do not know if we should wait for the gatekeeper to arrive or just post in a new thread?

Also, Dr_K, my latest update to ShadowRealm.xml might have reverted your changes; please see if it's still working, and if not, add them back again.

Ok, I'll take a look tonight and reconcile the differences.

I agree that it might be worthwhile to have some sort of stable version for localization which can be easily copied/merged into the master mod directory for updates. Then it will also be easier to see when we need to redo all of the localized versions of the descriptions if something changed.

I'll add another folder to the dropbox this evening for localization efforts and put the current xml files there.

@Dr_K: There's a patch here for AoW2: Shadow Magic

Thanks! I'll try to get it working and somehow maneuver my way through it. I shouldn't have to go to far to find "Shadow Realm" or "Shadow Magic" at least :)

A loading hint could be added (when SR is active), introducing Shadow Sickness, Vulnerable to Shadow Sickness, and Shadow Walker.

That's a great idea. I don't think I've seen anything about modding the loading screens. Anybody else know if this can be done or not?

I do not know if we should wait for the gatekeeper to arrive or just post in a new thread?

Just go for it. Probably just keep a similar naming convention "Shadow Realm - ..."

Worst case scenario, we can always start a new thread to reorganize it if necessary. I don't think Paradox is charging by the thread yet. (might be their next DLC policy :p)

I'll add another folder to the dropbox this evening for localization efforts and put the current xml files there.
Thanks! I'll try to get it working and somehow maneuver my way through it. I shouldn't have to go to far to find "Shadow Realm" or "Shadow Magic" at least :)

About localization, the problem with the files I provided is that they are saved with default format, thus loosing any coloured cell background. But I think that I could keep background colour without fearing for incompatibility (next time I try).
However, it would be nice if the master file get colorized when cells are changed in English (say in red). Contributors could provide localized files with updated cells colorized as well (say in green), so that the merger in charge of maintening the master file could easily copy & paste the right column parts, and contributors would exactly know what cells to update. I'm specially thinking about ShadowRealmCampaign that will possibly need several iterative passes, as the writers refine their texts.

Currently, when I want to synchronize my working files with the one ("master") in the DropBox, I have to run a diff text between both English columns before pasting updated cells. (If this can help, diff is easily done under LibreOffice with the function =IF(EXACT(A1;B1);STYLE("style1");STYLE("style2") in C1 in a working spreadsheet).

About Shawdow Magic, as it's a standalone and not an expansion, I'd expect a lot of similar content as compared to Wizard Throne. If the folder structure is kept, you should look for the whole '\Dict\' folder but some of the .mld files in there are huge. If you think you have a better use of your time as regard to this project, please zip the Dict folder and handle it to me. I kept a track of the inner content of every .mld file back to Wizard Throne, and I could perhaps be more fast at peering on them with an hex-editor.

colorized when cells are changed in English (say in red). Contributors could provide localized files with updated cells colorized as well (say in green), so that the merger in charge of maintening the master file could easily copy & paste the right column parts, and contributors would exactly know what cells to update. I'm specially thinking about ShadowRealmCampaign that will possibly need several iterative passes, as the writers refine their texts.

Currently, when I want to synchronize my working files with the one ("master") in the DropBox, I have to run a diff text between both English columns before pasting updated cells. (If this can help, diff is easily done under LibreOffice with the function =IF(EXACT(A1;B1);STYLE("style1");STYLE("style2") in C1 in a working spreadsheet).

There is three big word file in draft folder that sort of provides the master file for everything regarding text. The thing with updates on excel files is that it needs to correspond exactly on three different levels all the time thus why the draft where needed in the first place. If something is removed I could easlily track changes, if something is removed in a excel I would never be able locate this in level editor.

Leaving a open thread might create a huge spoiler open. Before translation comes in, every english text should be final.

@greyHaunt or @Rodmar18
Did you update the xml files on the 15th? I think there is something that "broke" with the ShadowRealm.xml file. It seems that the format is not compatible with Excel any more (which has been my default for a while). However, I can open the file as normal in LibreOffice.

It took me a while to finally decide to try that after looking through diffs, so I haven't attempted any testing with the new file yet. I'll give it a spin and see if everything is still working as expected.

Would it be easier for everyone to use LibreOffice to edit the xml file to avoid running into compatibility issues? (Rodmar, depending on how libre office handles end of line characters this might solve your issue)

@greyHaunt or @Rodmar18
Did you update the xml files on the 15th? I think there is something that "broke" with the ShadowRealm.xml file. It seems that the format is not compatible with Excel any more (which has been my default for a while). However, I can open the file as normal in LibreOffice.

It took me a while to finally decide to try that after looking through diffs, so I haven't attempted any testing with the new file yet. I'll give it a spin and see if everything is still working as expected.

Would it be easier for everyone to use LibreOffice to edit the xml file to avoid running into compatibility issues? (Rodmar, depending on how libre office handles end of line characters this might solve your issue)

I would prefer Excel to be the main program at any given time. Libreoffice, openoffice and all other freeware program has issues. If people have thoose programs and would like to make changes make a copy of the original xlm file file and highlight changes.

Dr_K, that ShadowRealm.xml issue you talk about is something that happened after my edits. The problem is, I'm definitely sure I uploaded a working .xml file on the October 15th (otherwise I would've seen this issue myself that day, and I'm seeing now that the styles are not compatible anymore). I'll try to figure out the solution as soon as possible.
Edit: I guess I know the answer! When I added the translated German lines, I opened the Alecia_Valentine's version, which was edited in LibreOffice. That should explain things. It also came to my mind that I could've used Dr_K's version instead, and lo and behold, copypasting German translation from there actually worked! Now to fix Russian translation missing a few lines...
2nd edit: I salvaged my missing Russian lines from the wrecked file and uploaded the fixed file to Dropbox. Checked if it opens in my Excel 2013, works correctly. Still doesn't contain Dr_K's edits though.

Last edited:
I took the files as they were, on the 15th in the evening, and then uploaded three successive versions, the last one on this morning. My versions are appened with '_FR' an I each time checked the date of the original files (non '_FR') before I uploaded. These files were saved as MS Excel 2003 xml format with OpenOffice.org under Windows 98. This method works fine for the Balance mod.
However, I remember having had difficulties for saving on the first time. I had to copy/paste the whole page on a new one and then delete the original. Since then, I have no problem. It's easy to detect if a file is badly formatted or not: if it is, you read a single 4096+ long line with notepad++; if it isn't, notepad++ displays the Excel/xml format and metadata as one line per tag. So yes, perhaps some files saved on the 15th were badly formatted.

Anyways, @Dr_K, if I didn't mess myself, just take my '_FR' files, rename them without the '_FR', and you should be fine. Again, they haven't been modified between the time I downloaded them and the time I uploaded them as '_FR'.

1) ShadowRealm_xml
(consistency check)

• Bestow Static Shield
(model: Bestow Frost Flame or ?)

• Inflict Blinded
(model: any "Inflict", e.g. Inflict Chilled)
Melee and Ranged attacks can inflict Blinded
>>
Attacks from this unit have a chance to inflict Blinded on (or to blind) their targets. Blinded units cannot target units or objects more than 1 Hex away with ranged abilities, cannot cast spells, and are always flanked when attacked from outside the single hex directly in front of themselves.

Also it lacks the unit families that are immune to Blind.

• Shadow Burst
(model: Assassin Strike)
Shadow Burst hits the frontal 3 enemies for normal melee damage, and has no retaliation.
>>
Performs a physical attack that can't be retaliated against on the frontal three enemy units.

• Dark Vengeance
(model: Divine Vengeance)
Lays waste to an entire area by a dark power. Devout and Blinded units are immune.
>>
Lays waste to an entire area by divine power. Every unit in a >> {divinevengeanceRadius}<< hex radius around this unit takes damage from dark vengeance. Devout and Blinded units are immune.

• Tame Shadow Demon
(model: Befriend Animal, etc)
Attempts to take control of target enemy Shadow Demon
>>
Attempts to take control of target enemy Shadow Demon ({resistvalue}).

• Storm Tower
(model: any vanilla defense tower)
Append to description: Enemies behind the city walls cannot be affected.

Suggestion: in SR there are "Storm" concept and "Lightning" concept.
Storm Bolt inflict frost and lightning damage, whereas vanilla Lightning Bolts are pure lightning.
What if Storm Tower would inflict half frost, half lightning damage as well? Else, you can call it a Lightning Spire to avoid "confusion".

• Night Guard & Storm Priest

Besides, you have Storm Priest (same name as Dark Elf unit) and Storm Altar. Isn't the Dark Elf Cult of Storms not a thing anymore after the "Mending" in the Shadow Realm? Wouldn't it have evolved into a Cult of Shadow, hence a Shadow Priest unit 'I know, yet another "Shadow" reference...).
(Granted, the High Elf Storm Sister is a result of the Mending, and not a genuine priestess of the Cult of Storms)

Another unit keeps a Dark Elf unit's name: the Night Guard. On one hand, night guards were part of Meandor's army when he came into the Shadow Realm. On another hand, they integrated other Elves in there ranks and learned to harness the power of Shadow (through lightning damage and magic disruption). Lastly, I believe that we all agree that their animation is kind of special, making surely thinking about levitation, whereas Night Guards don't have any shadow-form/step ability. Another reason to rename them, I'd say.
Suggestion for alternate name: Castigater, Neutralizer, Protector

2) ToW

• Eldritch Altar lacks the 'Unlocks units: Elder Eldritch Horror' line (compare to other Forgotten Thrones-related MCUs).
Also all these Forgotten Thrones-related MCUs refer to a generic Forgotten Throne, not their Forgotten Throne (I don't know if this can be avoided).

• Lightning Prayer Bolt
Compare to vanilla Prayer Bolt: the frost and lightning icons could be interchanged so as to reflect the main (& logical) damage chanel (I hope it's so!): Divine fire vs Divine lightning (+ spiritual damage because of divine). See screenshots.
I kept the same name for the attack in French, but the description tells: "Strike target enemy unit with Divine fire/lightning", so there's no confusion. Unit names are different, though.

• Still some double entries but I guess this is WiP.

3) Suggestion

• Geyser
Suggestion: What if this attack would have a chance to inflict Drenched to target unit? It would be handy if a Lord of the Deep is nearby.

Attachments

• aow3_prayerBolts.jpeg
    aow3_prayerBolts.jpeg
    155,3 KB · Views: 19
  • aow3_lightningPrayerBolts.jpeg
    aow3_lightningPrayerBolts.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Suspected bug:

My Shadow Elf Necromancer hero keeps "Lesser Control Undead" whereas my Shadow Elf Necromancer leader correctly gets "Control Undead" after "Summon Banshee" is researched.
It's a feature from Balance Mod but I think I read this was not a problem anymore
. Perhaps SR hasn't updated this feature yet?
Screenshot 1: Hero has "Lesser Control Undead".
Screenshot 2: Leader has not "Control Undead" yet.
Screenshot 3: I already can summon Banshees.
Screenshot 4: some time later (at 80 CP), leader has got "Control Undead" while hero still has "Lesser Control Undead".

Whether abilities is bugged or description is wrong.

Also, there's a display bug (replacers not being translated), but this is for PBEM & SP Blance mod, I think.

Attachments

• aow3_controlUndeadLesser1.jpeg
    aow3_controlUndeadLesser1.jpeg
    114,3 KB · Views: 8
  • aow3_controlUndeadLesser2.jpeg
    aow3_controlUndeadLesser2.jpeg
    103,3 KB · Views: 8
  • aow3_controlUndeadLesser3.jpeg
    aow3_controlUndeadLesser3.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 8
  • aow3_controlUndeadLesser4.jpeg
    aow3_controlUndeadLesser4.jpeg
    109,5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Rodmar18, regarding your proposed changes to descriptions in ShadowRealm.xml:
1. Noted all 5 possible ones, and have already updated the Master file. You can redownload it, should work correctly now.
2. Will update the entry of that MCU to say exactly Elder Eldritch Horror (for some reason I forgot the third part of the creature's name).
Also all these Forgotten Thrones-related MCUs refer to a generic Forgotten Throne, not their Forgotten Throne (I don't know if this can be avoided).
That's interesting to say the least. I think my ToW entries actually referred to specific Thrones, I could be wrong though. Going to check it later.

Everything else is up to the team to discuss, especially when it comes to unit naming.
That said, I don't really support Shadow Priest as a unit name, because it's generic, and I'm not keen on Castigator for Night Guard either (those SE units are more about protection, so it doesn't fit thematically). Protector seems fine to me though.

On duplicate ToW entries: if you could list them all and make a bug report, I'd really appreciate that. Makes cleaning it up that much easier.

I just replaced _latest_ versions of ShadowRealm.xml, ShadowElves_Lords.xml, and Decodence.xml by files including the FR localization. Then, I deleted old '_FR' files, as they werern't used anyways.

However, I fear that in the process, I lost the last modification of ShadowElves_Lords.xml because we both localized new Ensagla's surname at the same time, and I was too fast when I returned to Linux and the internet world (not checking for the date of a file that had already been updated half an hour before. Could you check that, please?

I'll be not connected until november.

However, I fear that in the process, I lost the last modification of ShadowElves_Lords.xml because we both localized new Ensagla's surname at the same time, and I was too fast when I returned to Linux and the internet world (not checking for the date of a file that had already been updated half an hour before. Could you check that, please?
Both localisations have been updated correctly in the master file, so there's no need to worry.

Wow, things got crazy when I was away!! :p

I opened the descriptions and localizations thread, please use it and avoid posting localization issue here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...realm-descriptions-and-localizations.1262233/

• The descriptions of "Heart of Shadows" look odd. Please compare with "Heart of Winters": "removes all Arctic terrain penalties when located within your domain", which effect (no moral loss due to arctic terrain) is applied to all of your units, whether old and newly produced, whether stationed within and beyond your domain. If the effect here is to add "Shadow Walker" to all of your units, whether old and newly produced, whether stationed within and beyond your domain, why granting "Shadow Walker" to units produced in the city which domain the Heart is located on?

If I guess correctly what you mean, you don't understand why it gives Shadow Walker twice, once to all units and once to units produced in the city? The reason is that the Heart is not permanently under your control: when you lose it, all your units lose the temporary Shadow Walker property. But units produced in the city have it permanently.

Then you can just run side-by-side comparisons in the xml files and compile them into a single one. Probably a bit clunky, but that'll let us avoid issues like the one I've had.
I don't think it is a good idea. As Refineus pointed out, it's very hard to do track changes in Excel.
The issue we had was because Yunalesca (the German translator)'s LibreOffice created an issue with the files. I was supposed to test them after she synced them but I was not able to do it as I was on business trip and I had forgotten the charger of my laptop...
I think the best we can do is to stick to only 1 copy of the file (so @Rodmar18 please do not add "_FR" files, just work directly on the main files) and everyone uses the files synced on his computer (no download/upload with old files).

Yeah, please don't translate for now. @Rodmar18: same for you. I think you already started translating the campaign? But you should wait more. The texts are definitely not definitive at this stage.
Refineus mentioned a timeline but we also need to keep in mind that nobody tested scenario 3B and 3C so far.

I'm specially thinking about ShadowRealmCampaign that will possibly need several iterative passes, as the writers refine their texts.
Yes, so please don't work on this one.

Would it be easier for everyone to use LibreOffice to edit the xml file to avoid running into compatibility issues?
From our experience in the balance mod, I can tell you we need to AVOID using LibreOffice as much as possible. It created very serious crashes in a lot of games after a .xml file became faulty and units disappeared from entire PBEM games due to that. Basically localization and .xml is the easiest way to wreak havoc in the game. What matters is not whether WE can open the files. What matters is whether the game can open the files and LibreOffice adds formatting which are not compatible with the game. So we (I) should regularly check that the files can be opened in Excel and that the game recognizes them.

A loading hint could be added (when SR is active), introducing Shadow Sickness, Vulnerable to Shadow Sickness, and Shadow Walker.
As far as I know, this is not possible. Someone tried but was not able to. The loading screens are pictures. And we cannot add new pictures as far as I know. And we cannot mod the existing ones. So we could replace some but that would require players to replace files directly in their AoW3 folder, we cannot have the mod change them.

SE Heroes: Centro and Sephyra, at least, are displayed on their feet instead of mounted on raptors (when they don't have any mount)
This looks like a bug. @Refineus: any news on that one? If not, I should add it as a bug in the list.

My Shadow Elf Necromancer hero keeps "Lesser Control Undead" whereas my Shadow Elf Necromancer leader correctly gets "Control Undead" after "Summon Banshee" is researched.
It's a feature from Balance Mod but I think I read this was not a problem anymore
This is an issue with the balance mod, not with the SR, please report it on the thread for the balance mod.

I updated the list of known issues on page 1.