• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((3-4 brigades per general is the golden ratio for Chile right now. 2 generals is enough. Maybe for every 10 brigades we have, the ratio for generals to brigades should be upped by 1-2?))

Last edited:
As the president's proposal takes priority, and considering the state of affairs where our house is split between the decision. I do believe that in order to pull Chile out of this economic crisis, we need broad support of a bill. A strong unity in such a time is very important, which is why I once again wish our General's who defend our homeland to reconsider the bill, so that we may form a new bill a better bill. For as i said before, we have other strings to pull than a nay or a yay for this Act. This bill is not a proposal from God himself, it is a proposal from an ordinary human being - the president - and together we could form the foundation for a better bill, where the military might be spared, and where we can pull other strings than great taxes.

- Senator Romano

((I should point out two things: 1) The President appoints generals, meaning that he decides who commands what brigades and how many armies there are and so forth. It's all in the rules. That's why the Presidential election is so important. 2) The President can appoint any player-character a general, not just those with a military background. Of course, those characters with military backgrounds will likely prove to better generals than the odd statesman.))

EDIT: And here's the update on the voting and the candidates.

Liberales Candidates:
Michael Badajoz

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera
Eduardo Emilio Romano
Manuel Carrera

Meanwhile, the Peru-Bolivia Act's current count
Yes: 7
No: 5

I'd prefer at least one more liberal candidate so they don't have to sit on their hands for the primary cycle. I'll keep polls open until either 8 PM PST (3 AM GMT) or until the candidate slots are filled up, whichever comes first. We'll adopt the golden vote rule if there's a tie.

EDIT2: You'll probably want to have drafted your compromise bill by then if you want it put to a vote.

Last edited:
I am for this compromise, but believe a slightly larger reduction and a small (5-10%) tariff should be imposed on foreign goods. It will prove a good source of revenue.

Oye, I missed the debates!

A nation crippled on the inside is as defenseless as a nation crippled at the exterior. We must strengthen the core and go outwards. Protect the economy.

(Oh, you're here King? ;-). Seeing quite a few familiar face (names) here).

I am rather surprised my fellow voters against the Peru/Bolivia do not call themselves Liberals (i.e. We might find this easier to manage if we put our parties in our sigs).

We are democracy of free people, to soar we must let these people use their money in our economy.

Hear, hear, Senator Romano.

I say Yea to Senator Romano's Compromise Bill, Nay to the original, unrevised Peru-Bolivia Act.

Twasn't meant to show offense Senator Romano. I only meant considering the conservatives represent the winning faction in the Civil War, and their policy's (in game) are interventionist (which correlates to higher taxes) Liberales would suit it better.

Or not.

I vote Nay on the compromise bill, we cannot afford to cut our military at all, especially when we have neighbors that may be eying our rather thin country rather greedily. If our military is not at the top of it's game, we will be vulnerable. For what use is saving the economy or whatever when our country's under military occupation?

((Voting isn't even open yet on the compromise bill, folks. I'm not even sure the authors have it in a final form.))

((...I have no regrets. I will await it eagerly!))

It is essential to our nation's security that we maintain a professional army. Only the Peru-Bolivia Act ensures we are able to do that. A reduction in the military budget would force us to have a non-professional irregulars in our army. We face many potential threats and need to maintain a strong military deterrent. As we modernize our economy we will be able to reduce taxes but for now high taxes are necessary for our security.

Senator Rivera - Conservadores

((The comprimise bill is in alpha stage, and pretty much a brainstorm - I will finish it at some point so it is ready after the voting for this bill has finished ))

I would like to stress, that the increase of the tax still leaves the state economy in a deficit. I also wish our fine Generals and protectors of our fatherland to know - that this 75% tax also applies to their soldiers. Soldiers also pay tax to the state from their salary, and this would put them in a difficult economical position. Furthermore the common people and their families will be on the edge of starvation, those who earn even less than what the soldier earns - if the soldier will be in a financial crisis, then what situation would the farmer and larbourer be in?

I hear you speak of the survival of the fatherland, but what is it that makes Chile, Chile? What makes Chile worth defending, is it's people, and it's people will be starving to death with this taxrate. Do you not agree?

- Senator Romano - Conservadores

((Cool, I'll make a character soon))

Polls close in a little over half an hour, so if you wanted to get a vote - or a candidacy in - now's the time.

Name: Vladimir Metsalski
Born: 1796
Party: Undecided (serves as chile's head of intellegence)
Background: Few know how Vlad's familly arrived in chile (although it is often suspected they were appointed by the tsar to keep tabs on the spanish colonies). Vlad quickly rose through the ranks of the chilen military with suprising skill considering he was chilen (who at the time were not known for their martial prowes) and eventually became the head of intellegence. It is still unkown why Vlad stayed in Chile and political opponents often acuse him of being a russian spy. This culminated in a shootout with a senator that lead to the senator's death. While Vlad maitains he was acting in self defense, most take it as fact that Vlad sought out the senator because of his accusations. Regardless politicly Vlad made his point and few have yet to question him sinse, and never have done so for long before mysteriously disaperaing...

Vlad's blackmaled influence in the senate historicly voted YES on subject of the Chile-Bolivia act

Polls have now closed by my watch.

Final Candidates:

Liberales Candidates:
Michael Badajoz

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera
Eduardo Emilio Romano
Manuel Carrera

Final Vote on the Peru-Bolivia Act
Yes: 8
No: 5

Motion carries.

Update incoming.

A grea day for Chile as the fools who naivly believe we are not in need of a military have lost