• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good progress in Germany. Your expansion there will have long term strategical value.

Sr. Toledo said:
Are you planning on unifying Italy?

No, he isn't. Said something about not liking the color :rofl:

:rolleyes:

----

Nice to finally see you land some traders, Rens! Perhaps after killing all those AI, you'll be able to make a profit from it.

great update
a question: what are your long term goals?
for example take over the world or making milan as big as possible or just having fun?

Last edited:
The Sforza!!! Index​
(So I can prove I'm really NOT a warmonger! :rofl:)

1473 - ........ - Start of game as Milan
(6 years peace)
1479 - 1480 - War with Switzerland (Milanese Aggression)
(6 years peace)
1484 - ........ - Diploannexed Savoy
1486 - 1487 - War with France (French Aggression!!!)
(5 years peace)
1489 - ........ - Diploannexed Modena
1491 - ........ - Diploannexed Mantua
1492 - 1494 - War with Mecklenburg (Aiding Brandenburg as Ally)
1495 - 1496 - 2nd War with France (French Aggression!!!)
1497 - ........ - War with Brunswick (Aiding Brandenburg as Ally)
1498 - 1500 - War with Aragon (Aragonese Aggression!!!)
1501 - 1502 - War with Hungary (Aiding Poland as Ally)
1501 - ........ - Spread of Protestantism (begins in Siena!)
1502 - 1503 - War with Tuscany & Venice (Milanese Aggression)
1504 - 1505 - War with Bavaria & Crete (Bavarian Aggression!!!)
1505 - 1506 - War with Aragon (Aragonese Aggression!!!)
1507 - 1507 - War with Mecklenburg (Mecklenburgian Aggression!!!)
(4 years peace)
1511 - 1511 - War with Bavaria (Bavarian Aggression!!!)
1511 - 1513 - War with Aragon & Castille (Castilian Aggression!!!) (Aragon vassalized in 1512)
1513 - 1514 - War with Papal States (Papal Aggression!!!)
(3 years peace)
1517 - 1518 - War with Bavaria (Bavarian Aggression!!!)
1519 - 1520 - War with Castille & Portugal (Castilian Aggression!!!)
1521 - 1522 - War with Bohemia (Aiding Austria as Ally)
1524 - ........ - Diploannexed Tuscany
1535 - ........ - Diploannexed Aragon
(22 years peace!!! :D )
1544 - 1546 - War with Algeria & Tunisia (Milanese Aggression)
1547 - 1548 - War with Castille (Castilian Aggression!!!)
1551 - 1552 - War with Algeria (Algerian Aggression!!!)
(5 years peace)
1556 - 1556 - War with Bavaria (Aiding Austria as Ally)
1556 - 1558 - War with Algeria (Algerian Aggression!!!)
1560 - ........ - War with Poland (Aiding Austria as Ally)

Not so sure of some of these war causes. I might have mislabeled some -- you're welcome to help me remember, if you wish! :D

Last edited:
Rensslaer said:
The Sforza!!! Index​

Pfft...too late for your 'proofs' and 'evidence'...they will avail you little amongst your die hard readers!

Thanks for the index!
TheExecuter

To be honest, I must admit I am not sure why you want any territory in the North. I know you have Bremen, but even there it seems like a province that just gets you into needless northern wars when you should be concentrating in the south.

The trading company is sure to help the economy. By the way - I do not recall, but did you patch up to 1.03?

Rensslaer said:
The Sforza!!! Index​

Index - Schmindex!! So, maybe you're a bit of a warmonger! You still write a good AAR, and remember what the minstrels said [I am paraphrasing a little]: "in the end the wars you win are equal to the wars you make!" ;)

Rensslaer said:
The Sforza!!! Index​
Methinks the conqueror doth protest too much! Just admit that you've got a little Corsican in you. :D

coz1 said:
I like Bureaucracy. In fact, it is usually one of the first ideas I choose. I liken it to a savings account a little bit. The earlier you pick it up the earlier your economy can utilize the financial aspects and it can only grow.
Me too, as far as the first to choose. I was going toward a Trade Empire when I chose my first idea, and so I picked a trade benefit. That was before I realized there was no way I could maintain a trade empire! Otherwise, I'd have picked Bureaucracy earlier.

germanpeon said:
I usually dont get Sci Rev OR Bureaucracy simply because I dont think the contribution is significant. Minus 2.5% (I think) from research speed or plus 5% census taxes? Doesnt seem like alot to me, especially this early in the game.
I'm curious what you do generally choose. My choice (and maybe my recommendations in the Strategy Guide) are flavored by the fact that I'm a "get-arounder." If I don't have as much MilTech as the next guy, I get around it by having more armies. If I don't have as big a navy as my neighbor, I get around it by posting troops in far off places during peacetime so I don't have to transport them in wartime. Making money, though, is one of those things I just can't get around, so the Idea is valuable to me. :D

Olaus Petrus said:
Situation in Germany doesn't look good. Too much major powers, which might form a threat in the future.
Yeah, Germany is shaping up in weird ways I couldn't have predicted -- one of the neat things about EU III. But you're right, there are medium powers here who could give me a hard time!

theycallmetight said:
good god renns, I go away for ten days and you type up up a hurricane. a very well written and thought out hurricane, but a hurricane none the less. That being said what exactly is your badboy after those annexations. It must be hard for none to care about a country which controls the western Mediterranean.
Thank you! My Badboy limit is 37, so technically my half-point is 18.5. I've surpassed it, now, up to about 20. No ill effects so far, but I'm very wary. You'll see me drift down to about 17, then bounce back up again to 20 or so over the next several years <foreshadowing!>.

Chief Ragusa said:
Now that contracts have been exchanged, the man in the blue hat can move his boxed possessions into his new house and unpack. He can choose to conduct experiments, when the choice next arises.

Naturally, Kabila will not be amongst the provinecs you next wrest off Algeria.
What is that quote from? Sounds like some text-based role-playing game. Or a boardgame? Yes, Kabylia will be next on my list.

WhisperingDeath said:
A well fought war in North Africa! I see that you are still planning to remain a "continental force" by not choosing QftNW. I guess that when the time comes for you to venture forth from the skirts of Europe it will have to be will sword and muskett in hand.
Thanks! I haven't shown you screenshots of the frontiers, yet, so it may not be obvious that I'm actually getting to see much of the world through osmosis. My neighbors discover territory, and I learn about it before I can get there. This keeps me from needing QFTNW just yet. It may be a long time before I want it. We'll see!

Chief Ragusa said:
Definitely not a good time to be a Bavarian. That India company suggests a more naval role for Milan. I hope this will not interrupt the conquest of North Africa. Will you give any territory to Austria, I wonder?
Yes, I'll be building my navy now, as part of a tripartite plan. Probably combining missionaries and colonists with a naval buildup. I'm pretty satisfied with my army, and my economy is mostly built to an efficient capacity. It has room to improve, but not at a cost I'm willing to spend just now. The missionaries and colonists will improve the economy, too.

Terraferma said:
Great job gaining a core and the Indian Trade Company event along with your merchants making their presence known in Vlaanderen. Keep up the great work and I look forward to what happens next for your glorious mercantile empire.
It's... interesting! :rolleyes: I'll keep you posted. ;)

Lord E said:
The Indian company event sure is nice, so it is good to see you take advantage off it and increase Milan’s position as a great trade power. But of course where would Milan be without war, not a nice year to be from Bavaria that is true, but a very nice year to be from Milan I think. Press forward and grab some land
I was really impressed by that event. It really provided a needed boost!

Olaus Petrus said:
Good progress in Germany. Your expansion there will have long term strategical value.
I agree. I seem to be well-positioned in what would otherwise seem like isolated settlements. They're far less isolated when you consider that I'm the HRE, so I can move anywhere in Germany during wartime.

Sr. Toledo said:
Are you planning on unifying Italy?
I think probably not. At least not in the near future. I have a peculiar fondness for that lavender color. lol

Ahura Mazda said:
(re: "so people can see I'm no warmonger")I'm afraid many don't!
Yes, well... I'll explain that once I have the Index updated.

Merak said:
a question: what are your long term goals?
for example take over the world or making milan as big as possible or just having fun?
I've never had the stomach for world conquest. I tried once, in HOI 1, and it just became so tedious. But I do want the Mediterranean, and I do want Germany. I also want to expand into the Middle East, and in colonies around the world. Anything, basically, that stands in the way of those goals is a fair target.

TheExecuter said:
Pfft...too late for your 'proofs' and 'evidence'...they will avail you little amongst your die hard readers! Thanks for the index! TheExecuter
I'm serious! I'm not even starting 1/4 of the wars I'm in! :) I'm a hapless victim!!! :D

coz1 said:
To be honest, I must admit I am not sure why you want any territory in the North. I know you have Bremen, but even there it seems like a province that just gets you into needless northern wars when you should be concentrating in the south. The trading company is sure to help the economy. By the way - I do not recall, but did you patch up to 1.03?
I've not patched. Still 1.01, as I recall, or whatever the release version was. Do you recommend I up-patch, and it will happen without zorching my savegames? Watch this space (Germany) closely. I believe I will prove its worth, in time!

WhisperingDeath said:
Index - Schmindex!! So, maybe you're a bit of a warmonger! You still write a good AAR, and remember what the minstrels said [I am paraphrasing a little]: "in the end the wars you win are equal to the wars you make!"
Thank you, Sir! I'll listen to whatever minstrels will sing to me in all those different countries I pass through.

VILenin said:
Methinks the conqueror doth protest too much! Just admit that you've got a little Corsican in you. :D
Yes, well... It's not that I mind conquering. I'm just good at stumbling into it.

Thanks again for reading, folks! And for commenting!

As you may have noticed, I've started an Index, and linked it from the first post so it doesn't get lost. I'll update it as I go (or try to).

Rensslaer

No quote or boardgame. Inspired by the pictures that are your national ideas. I don't know that I would take Kabylia next. It's a core and useful for declaring war against Algeria.

Repeated failures for missionaries must frustrate you. Are there no really good missionary advisors available?

Alright, all caught up now. Fortunately I hadn't missed as much as I'd feared dut to your own break from writing. What with cores and trading companies your colonial empire seems to be developing apace now. Someday Milan will have an Empire on which the sun never sets. :cool:

Rensslaer said:
Thank you! My Badboy limit is 37, so technically my half-point is 18.5. I've surpassed it, now, up to about 20. No ill effects so far, but I'm very wary. You'll see me drift down to about 17, then bounce back up again to 20 or so over the next several years <foreshadowing!>.
Rensslaer

cant wait :D I see ypu finally are founding a trading empire. Better late than never I suppose

<amplification on> Opinions needed:

Coz suggested upgrading to the latest patch.

How stable is it?

What specific advantages would it have over 1.01?

What horrible problems does it have?

How's trading???!!! :rolleyes: :D

Will my savegames from 1.01 still work?

I've never upgraded to a new patch in the middle of any game, so I'm very wary of doing so now. So many things could happen.

Thanks!

Renss

Rensslaer said:
How stable is it?
Very much so.

Rensslaer said:
What specific advantages would it have over 1.01?
Many bug fixes, improved gameplay overall (couldn't list exact effect, but there's no doubt in my mind that 1.03 is better than 1.01).

Rensslaer said:
What horrible problems does it have?
Very few. That principal thing that will probably annoy you at first is the "no free minting fix", meaning that when your treasury reaches 0, you need to mint, or you'll take a loan, rather than reduce tech expenditure.

Rensslaer said:
How's trading???!!! :rolleyes: :D
Couldn't say, it probably was tweaked, but can't be much worse than 1.01.

Rensslaer said:
Will my savegames from 1.01 still work?
This is the only thing I cannot vouch for. You might want to ask on the tech support forum. Alternatively, make a separate install with 1.03, and see if your save game works or not.

Trading received quite the adjustment. Competing away merchants and taking the empty slot is now a single act and requires only a single merchant. It is now a little easier to compete and hold a slot too. All in all, it makes trading a bit less frustrating.

Dearnen said:
Trading received quite the adjustment. Competing away merchants and taking the empty slot is now a single act and requires only a single merchant. It is now a little easier to compete and hold a slot too. All in all, it makes trading a bit less frustrating.

Thanks for plugging the holes in my memory. I agree trading is much better now than it was ;)

Rensslaer said:
The Sforza!!! Index​

1473 - ........ - Start of game as Milan
1479 - 1480 - War with Switzerland (Milanese Aggression)
1484 - ........ - Diploannexed Savoy
1486 - 1487 - War with France (French Aggression!!!)
1489 - ........ - Diploannexed Modena
1491 - ........ - Diploannexed Mantua
1492 - 1494 - War with Mecklenburg (Aiding Brandenburg as Ally)
1495 - 1496 - 2nd War with France (French Aggression!!!)
1497 - ........ - War with Brunswick (Aiding Brandenburg as Ally)
1498 - 1500 - War with Aragon (Aragonese Aggression!!!)
1501 - 1502 - War with Hungary (Aiding Poland as Ally)
1501 - ........ - Spread of Protestantism (begins in Siena!)
1502 - 1503 - War with Tuscany & Venice (Milanese Aggression)
2 Wars of aggression in 23 years! If we now conpare this to reality, you've a really bad boy!