Several questions - defensive leagues, war exhaust cap, flank size, wood for ships and more...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aigle édenté

First Lieutenant
72 Badges
Sep 23, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • For The Glory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Here are my questions :
- where the defensive leagues have gone ? I played a game as Rome and all small countries had a defensive league, especially in Gaul or Hispania. Now as Egypt I don't see much such leagues. Will they simply appear later ?
- why is my war exhaustion cap set to 20 now instead of 30 ? Could it be because I "Invoked devotio" ?
- how does the flank size for a fleet work ? Is it better to have a vast flank size or does it have disadvantages ?
- to build medium and heavy ships do I need wood in the capital ? Do I also need some technology ?

PS : when they say decrease "ship building cost", for example the reward for a mission completion, does it mean also reduction of ship upkeep, like in Europa universalis 4 ?

Last edited:
Here are my questions :
- where the defensive leagues have gone ? I played a game as Rome and all small countries had a defensive league, especially in Gaul or Hispania. Now as Egypt I don't see much such leagues. Will they simply appear later ?
- why is my war exhaustion cap set to 20 now instead of 30 ? Could it be because I "Invoked devotio" ?
- how does the flank size for a fleet work ? Is it better to have a vast flank size or does it have disadvantages ?
- to build medium and heavy ships do I need wood in the capital ? Do I also need some technology ?

PS : when they say decrease "ship building cost", for example the reward for a mission completion, does it mean also reduction of ship upkeep, like in Europa universalis 4 ?
1) A defensive league can only have members with less than 25 territories.
2) I think it is 30 only if you are the aggressor in a war. If it's defensive or you're at peace it's 20. That is what I guesstimate from my experience.
3) Flank size is the amount of flanking unit per flank that will be assigned. If your fleet has 1 unit type it doesn't matter. Every ship (and unit on lnad) has a maneuver. Depending on maneuver, the unit can, during battle, hit units to it's side (flanking) if there are no units in front.
4) To build medium ships you need a port of lvl 3 or higher and wood in the provinec you're recruiting from. For heavy ships it's port lvl 5 or higher, the wood in the province you're recruiting from and you need specific military traditions that unlock the heavy ships. For instnace the Greek tradition tree (it's not the only one).

To the PS: I think so, however I can't guarantee it since I never checked the files for that.

Reactions:
Do you lose pops when you recruit or lose levy armies ?

There is a small chance for a pop to die when the associated levy unit is completely wiped. It has to be totally stack-wiped though, even being reduced to 0 soldiers is fine if the unit itself lives. Not sure what the percentage chance is though.

Reactions:
I have several more questions, but it seems most of these problems are bugs that I should post in the bug reports (let me know) :

1) As you can see on this screen Bactria is considered a "local power" even though they have more than 24 territories.

Bactria local power.jpg

2) Here my ennemies are capturing some lands while walking.

capture en marche.jpg

3) This city, Gaza, has only one fort but is considered like having 4 because the fort infrastructure is 6 out of 5 capacity

limite forts.jpg

4) What does the peace enforcement depend on ? Does it always trigger after some limit of time or there is another factor ? (war results ?)

paix imminente.jpg

5) On these screens you can see I have 3 jobs out of the 3 requested but one family is still considered scorned.

scorned with jobs.jpg

scorned with jobs 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have several more questions, but it seems most of these problems are bugs that I should post in the bug reports (let me know) :

1) As you can see on this screen Bactria is considered a "local power" even though they have more than 24 territories.

2) Here my ennemies are capturing some lands while walking.

3) This city, Gaza, has only one fort but is considered like having 4 because the fort infrastructure is 6 out of 5 capacity

4) What does the peace enforcement depend on ? Does it always trigger after some limit of time or there is another factor ? (war results ?)

5) On these screens you can see I have 3 jobs out of the 3 requested but one family is still considered scorned.
I can't answer all, but here I go:

1) Bactria is not independent. You lose your status as major power if you are.
2) Idk
3) the fort cap is per provinec, and it is shown per province
4) you need to have own the wargoal, no direct contest (no idea how that is calculated) in the province. Probably 1 or 2 more things
5) wait for monthly tick/reload

Reactions:
Many thanks, but I don't quite understand your reply to 4), I did reach the war goal. "1 or 2 more things" ? What things ?
Afaik it's the following:
you need to own the wargoal, the wargoal has not been contested for X (2 or 3 yrs I believe), to enforce you need 10 warscore I think.

I think there is a misunderstanding : by "peace enforcement" I mean the fact that (apparently after some time limit) there is an ultimatum that puts an end to war and gives some time to finish it before a white peace is signed.
this pop up only tells you that you can send an offer that the other nation HAS TO accept. If attacker, you get the wargoal. If defedner, you get white peace.

Reactions: