Serious stuttering whilst panning the camera around.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it's certainly not running at it's full capacity. How is your CPU doing? Should be a bit above the NVidia section in HWmonitor. It may be we're zooming in on the wrong bottleneck here.

How is your CPU doing?
screenshot is after running for 5ish minutes

its worth mentioning that this issue appears on 2 seperate machines, my laptop and my desktop. i have experienced no issues with any other games either

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-02 120802.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-02 120802.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
Well, your CPU does reach it's max load, that's for sure. It has a TDP of about 125 W, and, as you can see, that number has very nearly been reached.

At the moment of the screen shot, it's using around half of that. All core clocks, too, have been boosted to their respective max ratings. Your CPU certainly is busier than your GPU. At what game speed setting are you running Stellaris?

It's expected when you run Stellaris at it's max speed setting. In that setting, it will run the game as fast as it possibly can. Interweaving the calculations of one game day advancement with rendering one frame of the UI.

Which can explain the wild swings in FPS you measure. Not every game tick has the same number of in-game calculations it needs to perform. It will put most of the burden on the CPU, as it is constantly calculating the transition from one game day to the next.

Have you tried running the game on speed 4? That's one notch below the max speed setting, but at speeds 1 through 4, the game uses a timer to pace the transitions from one game day to the next. Resulting in a more smooth time flow. It also means inserting pauses in between game tick calculations. And in those pauses, the game only renders UI frames. Which would increase your measured FPS.

Have you tried running the game on speed 4?
Yes, I don't usually play the game on the fastest speed. I did notice an incresed framerate on slower speeds, however the game stutters regardless of the speed. The stuttering gets more intense as the speed goes up, as a result anything other than paused is still difficult to play (and you obviously can't spend the whole game paused lol)

At slower speeds it shouldn't really stutter when you pan around in the galaxy map, at least not at the start of a game where only a few planets have been colonized.

What kind of power supply unit do you have installed? More specifically, what's the Watt rating of that power supply unit?

What kind of power supply unit do you have installed? More specifically, what's the Watt rating of that power supply unit?
I have a brand new 1000W corsair power supply.

The stuttering isn't just on my desktop, it's also on my laptop. It started on my laptop several months ago and continued when I got my desktop a month ago

I also have no issues whatsoever with other games.