• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(15247)

immortal technique
Mar 3, 2003
did a few full GC's runs with the latest beta(and the new modified random events). i came to the conclusion that in this mod serfdom has became THE most important slider(for a player that likes to expand of course not just sit as a minor and watch ai...). anywhere less then 9-10 serfdom gurantees a much less then perfect performance. yet the issue i found intreasting, is that unlike all the other sliders, serfdom can easily be kept at 10(or achived quiet fast with a few minor exceptions like SWE);)

did a few full GC's runs with the latest beta(and the new modified random events). i came to the conclusion that in this mod serfdom has became THE most important slider(for a player that likes to expand of course not just sit as a minor and watch ai...). anywhere less then 9-10 serfdom gurantees a much less then perfect performance. yet the issue i found intreasting, is that unlike all the other sliders, serfdom can easily be kept at 10(or achived quiet fast with a few minor exceptions like SWE);)

which is why small states in GC have a high starting serfdom, which is bad ,

Serfdom

Full serfdom's main benefit is the -50% in stability cost but serfdom also gives a -2D cost for infantry. This comes at the price of -10% production efficiency and -0.25 land morale. The free subjects setting is just the opposite.

Because of stability costs, size is the main determinant here. If you are big or plan to become big, you want to enserf your minions. If you are small or medium and choose to remain that size, orient yourself toward free subjects.

Slider Land Stability Production
Setting Infantry Morale Cost Efficiency
0 +2.0 +0.25 +50 +10
1 +1.6 +0.20 +40 +8
2 +1.2 +0.15 +30 +6
3 +0.8 +0.10 +20 +4
4 +0.4 +0.05 +10 +2
5 0.0 0.00 0 0
6 -0.4 -0.05 -10 -2
7 -0.8 -0.10 -20 -4
8 -1.2 -0.15 -30 -6
9 -1.6 -0.20 -40 -8
10 -2.0 -0.25 -50 -10

which is why small states in GC have a high starting serfdom, which is bad ,

Serfdom

Full serfdom's main benefit is the -50% in stability cost but serfdom also gives a -2D cost for infantry. This comes at the price of -10% production efficiency and -0.25 land morale. The free subjects setting is just the opposite.

Because of stability costs, size is the main determinant here. If you are big or plan to become big, you want to enserf your minions. If you are small or medium and choose to remain that size, orient yourself toward free subjects.

Slider Land Stability Production
Setting Infantry Morale Cost Efficiency
0 +2.0 +0.25 +50 +10
1 +1.6 +0.20 +40 +8
2 +1.2 +0.15 +30 +6
3 +0.8 +0.10 +20 +4
4 +0.4 +0.05 +10 +2
5 0.0 0.00 0 0
6 -0.4 -0.05 -10 -2
7 -0.8 -0.10 -20 -4
8 -1.2 -0.15 -30 -6
9 -1.6 -0.20 -40 -8
10 -2.0 -0.25 -50 -10

lower serfdom for minors? yes that shall work out well + they get the MA bonus wich matters a lot in earlly period.

my point is that serfdom should be more affected by random events just like centralization is (stab hits to keep it higher)

Last edited:
my point is that serfdom should be more affected by random events just like centralization is (stab hits to keep it higher)
This is a matter of trend. Without historical events, countries are not inclined to go free subjects, at least until very late in the game and in few exceptions.

Trying to have high centralization is the reverse.

Remember random events are a way to "fight" sliders "optimization" by the players but only for sliders that will thus not match the historical trend.

Last edited:
This is a matter of trend. Without historical events, countries are not inclined to go free subjects, at least until very late in the game and in few exceptions.

Trying to have high centralization is the reverse.

Remember random events are a way to "fight" sliders "optimization" by the players but only for sliders that will thus not match the historical trend.

The question for my part is , how many states have a high serf . it seems the majority.
this is no good for small states, so states like MEC,STT,POM, LOR, HEL etc etc should start with a mid range sef. While bi states, CAS, ENG, FRA etxc could start with a serf of about 7.