• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(80041)

Sergeant
Jul 9, 2007
It would also actually work better when the hero is trying to navigate through a crowd of moving henchmen or whatever. A* would have the hero try to walk along a single path that exists only for a moment and then is filled with everyone.

ComradeOm

Field Marshal
11 Badges
Sep 25, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Alfryd said:
Of course, there are plenty of heuristic algorithms that can very probably give very good solutions to most NP-complete problems in a relatively short timeframe.
I wish. It pretty much depends on the complexity of the problem (such as the number of parameters or measures) but even with today's available computational power the optimisation of NP-hard problems can take days. What heuristic techniques do is provide an acceptable solution in an acceptable length of time. That "acceptable length of time" might still take hours of computational time.

Now this isn't a problem in chess because the problem has already been enumerated over the years. The computer knows all the possible combinations. However this is completely different to a stochastic environment in which the player, to name just one variable, can completely muck things up in an instant. You'd have to have the algorithm continually evaluating the situation and repeatedly calculating the optimal strategy in a metaheuristic fashion.

There are some interesting developments occurring with regard real-time simulation optimisation techniques with regards on-line control of systems... but I'd be extremely wary before bolting a genetic algorithm, for example, onto a commercial game.

unmerged(79778)

Corporal
Jul 5, 2007
Well of course there are those algorithims that work up to a point at which the information just becomes to much, but those solutions are just like using a hammer to put a square block in a round hole.

Personally i'd like to see paradox solve the NP problems with the solutions that are in the "Book" (ie the book where god wrote all the best solutions to math problems) :p

Alfryd

...It's nice up here!
3 Badges
Jul 9, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
Personally i'd like to see paradox solve the NP problems with the solutions that are in the "Book" (ie the book where god wrote all the best solutions to math problems)
Oh, you mean Knuth.

unmerged(79778)

Corporal
Jul 5, 2007
Did he come up with that saying? I know I was told at some point by one of my professors but couldn't remember where it came from.

Hassat Hunter

Lt. General
4 Badges
Jul 22, 2007
  • Majesty 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
Got lost somewhere in the techno-talk; but Chess and Majesty defin. Cannot be compared.

In chess there are a finite number of possibilities. You have the playfield (12x12???) and the pieces. No pieces (recruitment) ever get added, nor does the playfield chance (look, a guardtower!). You can calculate all the possible moves. However if you, like Majesty, just start with 2 Palaces on a map with hostiles (yet another unpredictability!) where you can infinitely add in heroes, buildings and other stuff that gets alot harder (obviously). Try to make a chess AI work if from time to time (random!) the field alters or pieces get removed/added. It will be impossible (with current techniques). And even if we get human-like AI, it will never be perfect; as we AIN'T perfect!!! Ofcourse they do have the advantage of a much (much!) faster responserate.

unmerged(80041)

Sergeant
Jul 9, 2007
Hassat Hunter said:
Try to make a chess AI work if from time to time (random!) the field alters or pieces get removed/added. It will be impossible (with current techniques).
It will be relatively easy.

Sure, it'll take a somewhat different approach to its design, and it might not play on Grand Master level - but then again, human Grand Masters won't be able to play on that level in the new game either without lots of practice.

It's not as if Majesty needs an AI that can regularly beat experienced human players, anyway.